• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Zelda MMORPG

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Well, with the success of world of warcraft, I have always thought maybe they should make a Zelda MMORPG.

You could be a Hylian, Gerudo, Zora, Goron, Deku, Shiekah.

And you could roam through Hyrule, on foot or on a horse. You could be an archer, a warrior, a magician, or a hand to hand fighter if you are a goron. I always thought about this. They could do this before Ocarina of Time, and you could go to Termina if you would like. Then for an expansion they could probably make it the flooded Hyrule.

You could go through temples and such, they could have tournaments for the worlds strongest. I know Zelda is based on 3 characters Link, Zelda, and Ganon but this could help expand Hyrule and everything.

Feedback please?

D.B.K.

Smash Ace
NNID
tinyfuses
The idea is great. The problem is trying to convince Nintendo to do it. They've only made one or two games for the PC.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
They don't need to do it for PC.

They can do it on the Wii, the controls could be identical to TP. You could even communicate to other players through the Wii Speak.

Worst case scenario put it on DS and make it Diabloish.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I used to love discussing this idea, but seeing as how Nintendo generally opposes MMO games and acts hostile toward fan projects, I get tired of discussing a dream that has zero chance of seeing the light of day.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Despite that, I hate that an actual Zelda MMO will never see the light of day (even sadder is that a Pokemon MMO won't either...), I still love talking about it.

In the OP, you have six races listed. Personally, I would not want to play as a Dekuu. I'd much rather play as a Fairy Kid. Dekus are usually weak characters, with little fighting prowess. They wouldn't make for a very good playing class in an MMO. In addition, I also think that a Twili race would be cool.

If this game were to be made (haha), I'd also want to see it include storylines not only including Ganondorf, but Vaati and Agahnim as well. Having rare contests that would create things such as the Chris Houlihan room would be really cool, but those would be less likely to happen than a Zelda MMO!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'll get back in the mood eventually.

I remember discussing hundreds of ideas with an old friend while living in South Korea. We imagined Kokiri kids running around, throwing boomerangs up into the faces of mounted Hylians (OoT equipment rules and whatnot).

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
This might be my own personal opinion, but even if Nintendo wasnt a bunch of sticklers, they should NEVER make a Zelda MMO. And if you think about it, how would it work? What would you do?

Zelda is known for it's adventures... for LINK. What do the people of the Zelda games do? They walk around in circles, get turned into terrible things, have a moon get dropped on them, have Ganon destroy their cities, and all in all do nothing. They do NOTHING.

You might as well make a game called "Walk around in Circles and Die MMO" because thats all it would/could possibly be.

You cant level up to lvl 80, get together a raiding party with a group of your guild mates and storm Ganon's castle! You would die, because none of you have the triforce piece. You couldnt go down into Lake Hylia and kill the vicious blob monster. You dont have the hook shot, because Link has it.

... but a pokemon MMO? Do you know how cool THAT would be? I am not a big fan of Pokemon(Thanks to the outrageous cartoon), but the entire franchise seems like an MMO game anyways.

Scott!

Smash Lord
First off, a Pokemon MMO would be incredibly sexy and wonderful. That said, this is the Zelda room, so back to Zelda. I'm not big on the MMO games. They eat people's lives, and I know I'd lose myself for too long that way. But zanbeena, for this idea to work, you have to think a bit more out of the box. While some things can't be done without Link, other things could be. It could take place at a time when Ganon isn't doing his thing, perhaps with a different supernatural or regular threat to Hyrule. And even if the hookshot is taken, maybe, there are things like the Bow, the Hylian Shield, Deku Sticks and Nuts, and other stuff that could be had. There's possibility and potential there.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Your MMO character would not be Hyrule's savior, but rather one of the many, many adventurers who help Link along his way in some form or another (i.e. one mission might entail you and a party clearing a pathway through a forest for Link by fending off mobs of creatures). The threats would be far more in size and numbers, so Link can't do it alone, but ultimately, he will make the largest difference.

I hate MMO's, but hell, I'd play this in a heart beat.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
If this game were to be made (haha), I'd also want to see it include storylines not only including Ganondorf, but Vaati and Agahnim as well. Having rare contests that would create things such as the Chris Houlihan room would be really cool, but those would be less likely to happen than a Zelda MMO!
And imagine how cool it would be if the storylines were actually canon! Picture tryin to fit a large MMO in the Zelda Timeline, lol. Hopefully it would have so much content it would be easy to place (but they'd probably make it ambiguous anyway)

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
In the OP, you have six races listed. Personally, I would not want to play as a Dekuu. I'd much rather play as a Fairy Kid. Dekus are usually weak characters, with little fighting prowess. They wouldn't make for a very good playing class in an MMO. In addition, I also think that a Twili race would be cool.
Just because they're flower people doesn't mean they'd suck at fighting.

I mean, look at that. You can see his pent up rage about to burst out at any moment, ready to strike down the nearest foe. Dekus are so underrated :urg:

(But seriously) I think that a Zelda MMO is a great idea. It would most likely get some of the Zelda fans (who aren't yet) into MMOs.

Sad thing, like most have said, the chance of it seeing the light of day is minimal as Nintendo has some angst against MMOs.

Speaking about the popularity of WoW, the reason that game is so popular is because it's so accesbile, usable, and the fact that it allows people to control their environment. By this I mean the option to PvP ("Player versus Player") or not (well, on PvE/RP servers, anyway).

If the Zelda MMO allowed players to play as Goblins on Ganon's side, making for some sort of PvP system, the game would do that much better. I don't know how many people would be for the "fight for Ganon" thing, but it's just an idea.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
I said we could do it at a time before Ocarina, wasn't Ganon like an advisor to the King of Hyrule?

It could be like a peace treaty thing like his people were attacking the Hylians, and then it would be Gerudo's, Moblins, Deku's and Corrupt Hylians

Then we could have Hylians, Zora, Goron, Kokiri.

It could be like an ongoing war for the triforce. This could be set hundreds of years before Ocarina and Minish Cap. I think it would be perfect and the possibilities are truly slim. This is also to expand Zelda beyond Zelda, Link, and Ganon. That's all it ever is, so why not expand it and have all the groups banding together to war the others.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I always related the races in my mind to WoW:

Hylian Army:

- Hylians
- Kokiri
- Goron
- Zora
- Shiekah
- Rito

Ganon's Army:

- Moblins
- Stalfos
- Bulblin
- Lizalfos
- Gerudo
- Poe

As for the Deku, I could see them fighting (just look at the gnomes in WoW :p) but I would see them as a neutral race.

Mewter

Smash Master
I'd rather not have a Zelda MMO, seeing as it would probably steal people's lives from them. :laugh:

But playing as a Deku would be awesome. In fact, I'd probably choose a Deku, because they're small, seedy plant creatures.

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
As for the Deku, I could see them fighting (just look at the gnomes in WoW :p) but I would see them as a neutral race.
So like the Goblins :D

Cool.

Then again, just like a Pokemon MMO, if they made a Zelda MMO they wouldn't ever have to make more Zelda games... : /

Spire

III
BRoomer
As long as they don't make it in the image of WoW, then I'd be fine. I think the best approach would be to distinguish firstly where it takes place on the timeline so boundaries can be established. The key is to not make a big jumble of a game with too much from the series jammed in for the sake of having as much content to please the player, but to rather design a unique Zelda experience that can envelop and captivate the player with two things:

- what it has, and
- what it does not have

These are two incredibly important factors in every Zelda game. We know the norm; the recurring elements, so when you shape a world around including certain content and excluding certain content, you draw a sense of mystery from the player as they see some recognizable things and some new things put into the newly shaped world of Hyrule. This "mystery" sparks the need to adventure, which draws courage from the player, and in case you haven't already said to yourself -- that's exactly what the Legend of Zelda is about.

Reinvention = mystery = adventure = courage = you.

It's all about you reinventing your imagination through each game in the series to spark and draw a new sense of courage every time. It's the most ingenious video game series of all time without a doubt.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Wow, I hadn't even thought about it like that Spire. That makes soooo much sense.

I would love to just roam through Hyrule like you could in Oot, I would play that game just to do that lol. It would really be cool to be able to go up death mountain and train with the gorons in the caves and such. Go to lake hylia and swim with the Zoras.

This would be awesome, but, making this game doesn't necesarrily mean that they would stop making Zelda games.

etecoon

Smash Hero
zelda MMO could have some potential but even if nintendo were to do it(huge stretch), the way they do things now makes me doubt if it would live up to said potential.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
zelda MMO could have some potential but even if nintendo were to do it(huge stretch), the way they do things now makes me doubt if it would live up to said potential.
It's sad that your absolutely correct.

It's even sadder that everybody knows how right you are.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I don't think a Zelda MMORPG would work and honestly I don't think it needs one. Besides if any franchise needs an MMO it's pokemon :mad:

Super Touhey

Smash Cadet
I'd definitely play a zelda mmo. But yeah its just not gonna happen. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to discuss what it could have been like.

Perhaps the deku's could be a merchant class of sorts, like the business scrubs, or maybe even a stealthy thief, since they always hide right after attacking in zelda games. They can still fight, but they don't have to specialize in it.

I don't really expect anyone to have thought of everything at this point, but I'm curious to see what you had in mind. Is it an action rpg, or a standard turn-based one? Would you use the standard hp system for this game, or would you base health on hearts like in other Zelda titles?

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Nah, I would do it standard health, and never have I ever thought of it being turn based. I played age of empires for the DS it sucked.

I think the classes could be like for Hylians: Warrior, Mage, Politician

Pretty much there would be one class of fighter, one magician, and then one class of people who debate things and can form alliances and such. But, everybody does it all the class is only what the specialize in.

I think the raids and stuff would be much cooler in this game. Like a raid on death mountain 0.O dude that would be so freaking ossim. Then, it would be like each race has a leader.

Kokiri= Deku Tree
Gerudo= Ganondorf
Hylian=King
Shiekah= Impa
Zora= King Zora
Gorons= Darunia
Deku= Deku King?

it could also be based on real time. Like if it's winter then it will be snowing in the game, it would be regional. And, there will be times where you can't go to a certain place and you have to go to a certain place. It would also be cool to see the sages creating the master sword and the temple of time. Dude, I cry myself to sleep thinking of this game.

Super Touhey

Smash Cadet
Seasonal weather sounds like a cool idea. But could that change anything as far as the battles go? You wouldn't have any lakes or rivers freeze over in winter would you? That would seem to put Zoras at a disadvantage.

So have you thought about the magic system in the game at all? There's a bunch of zelda games i haven't played, but so far I've never seen one with enough magic to develop a mage class.

Yeah i would love doing a raid on death mountain. It's starting to get depressing that this game will never exist... Although it would probably occupy a substantial amount of my time. I wouldn't get any of my schoolwork done.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Well, there is stronger magic that some people used, like Ganondorf and Kotake and Koume and the wizard thieves...

But powerful magic is very evil in Zelda. Only some small powers like Din's Fire and stuff are non-corrupting.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Yea, the dark magic would be insane.

And, lol yea I do think this would be waaaaay bigger than WoW if Nintendo actually put their time into this and made it good instead of some half ***, meet new friends garbage. It would take up all my non-eating/school/restroom/sleep time.

If made on the Wii, it could have the swing action to fight with melee weapons. You could pull back and shoot if an archer. Then they could think of something for the magic.

The seasons would effect everyone, if you aren't wearing the right equipment, you could get sick. The snow on death mountain would be horrible, like the gorons wouldn't be able to get down unless they have some teleportation spell, same with the Zora. But the amount of sidequests they could come up with would be ossim. Also, it would be cool if every class has good and evil. So if your chilling in Zora's Domain and an argument breaks out. OH ****!!!!

I would love it!

Then there could be like a certain time of day, where you can hear legends somewhere in castle town. it would be cool.

Roydrevil

Smash Rookie
I think it would be really cool if they were to base the game around some kind of war between all the people in hyrule and the creatures of twilight. Also as stated by Kingdom Come, realtime fighting with the Wii-mote and nunchuck would be awesome!
The one thing I do NOT want to see is a questing/grinding level based system. There's just so many of those kind of MMO's and I'm sick of it. This game should be pure SKILL. Not like WoW where you have to spend a ton of time leveling and getting gear.
There could be some kind of armor and specialization and you would get money by like challenging people to duels and stuff or going on some kind of mission.

Smashsamurai

Smash Cadet
I always thought that a zelda mmo would be an awesome idea. I had several ideas for one. I thought that it would be better if it had the actual gameplay in it from the zelda titles instead of how most mmorpgs are played with delayed attacks. It would really put your skills from LoZ to the test. It could also have PvP like World of Warcraft does where you can choose to be the other side, so you could be a stalfos or whatever.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
One day, I just might wake up and see somebody posting about how Nintendo is going to have an MMORPG and be so excited that it could be Zelda, Mario, or Pokemon. Then they screw it up and make it some new Animal Crossing New York type of thing.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
One day, I just might wake up and see somebody posting about how Nintendo is going to have an MMORPG and be so excited that it could be Zelda, Mario, or Pokemon. Then they screw it up and make it some new Animal Crossing New York type of thing.
I would burst into tears.

Well, Nintendo hardly seems to care about it's fans these days.

A Zelda MMORPG would be great, but World of Warcraft has already taken too many into it, and considering that Zelda shows relations to World of Warcraft (medieval-like setting, handheld weapons, races with unique traits, et cetera) it might never be as popular and Nintendo might not make enough money off of it.

Besides, has Nintendo ever even made an MMORPG?

Still, a Zelda MMORPG would be great.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well, Nintendo hardly seems to care about it's fans these days.

A Zelda MMORPG would be great, but World of Warcraft has already taken too many into it, and considering that Zelda shows relations to World of Warcraft (medieval-like setting, handheld weapons, races with unique traits, et cetera) it might never be as popular and Nintendo might not make enough money off of it.

Besides, has Nintendo ever even made an MMORPG?

Still, a Zelda MMORPG would be great.
Comparing Zelda to WoW is pretty futile. Think about what you're talking about..

The Legend of Zelda: Online

WoW is huge, but there are plenty of other huge MMORPG's (would that be a HMORPG?). LoZ: Online would appeal not only to those Zelda/Nintendo fans who would buy the game no matter what, but also to those who like Zelda, but have not been inclined to purchase a Wii due to it not having a game of such sorts. Furthermore, it would draw in RPG fans of all sorts. This would be very, very successful, no doubt.

peregrine monkey

Smash Apprentice
I really think this would kill Zelda for me. Seeing hundreds of identical characters grinding away at generic LoZ enemies would be tears-inducing.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I really think this would kill Zelda for me. Seeing hundreds of identical characters grinding away at generic LoZ enemies would be tears-inducing.
You think everyone would be playing as Link? The general consensus is that you'd get to choose your race and create an original character as such.

KawaiixxWings

Smash Cadet
Despite how awesome Zelda is, I think its original purpose would be tattered if it were made into an MMO. Link is what the story is really about. Otherwise it's just a *insert name of some Celtic combat MMO here* .

Comparing Zelda to WoW is pretty futile. Think about what you're talking about..

The Legend of Zelda: Online

WoW is huge, but there are plenty of other huge MMORPG's (would that be a HMORPG?). LoZ: Online would appeal not only to those Zelda/Nintendo fans who would buy the game no matter what, but also to those who like Zelda, but have not been inclined to purchase a Wii due to it not having a game of such sorts. Furthermore, it would draw in RPG fans of all sorts. This would be very, very successful, no doubt.
KawaiixxWings said:
Despite how awesome Zelda is, I think its original purpose would be tattered if it were made into an MMO. Link is what the story is really about. Otherwise it's just a *insert name of some Celtic combat MMO here* .
I used to think WoW was very old-Europe (Celts, Norse) style, but speaking in terms of now, I say it's grown corrupted; no more good old swords and axes, but fancy glowing swords and axes that look near impossibe to carry. I hate it when video games take it too far.

Hopefully that will never happen to our hero Link. No, the Master Sword is too original to be given up.
I'd be a little worried for the Zelda MMO, considering they would have to update it, and it might go a little haywire.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Man, What would y'all create?

I would probably make myself a Goron Warrior and carry the megaton hammer. Oooh I just came up with something, what if each race had like an ultimate weapon(s) like the hylians and gorons could share the biggoron sword. The gorons could has the megaton hammer. The Zora's could have a white sword. The Deku would be a white sword. and that would be for the warrior types. The mages and such would have different things.

Man, I would be a goron with a megaton hammer, spikes on my back, tattoos all over my right arm. And a mustache. No hair on my head though.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
If it could work on the Wii, and it played in a similar fashion to World of Warcraft, then a definite yes for me on this idea.

It could really help with fleshing out the story, link up each game to make a cohesive timeline.

Top Bottom