• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Matchup Anthology

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
Even if you don't hit him with his own lasers, you yourself don't get hit with them very often and when you do, Falco has to be fairly close to you to do anything. Zelda has the anti-air options to beat him and any non-laser aerial approaches, plus if he tries to laser when he's too close and you're ready for it, he eats the hitboxes of your LC Nayru's and maybe even his own laser, which can easily lead to follow ups.

This is just theorycraft on my part, as I've never actually played against a good Falco with Zelda, but I would see it as even at worst.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Even if you don't hit him with his own lasers, you yourself don't get hit with them very often and when you do, Falco has to be fairly close to you to do anything. Zelda has the anti-air options to beat him and any non-laser aerial approaches, plus if he tries to laser when he's too close and you're ready for it, he eats the hitboxes of your LC Nayru's and maybe even his own laser, which can easily lead to follow ups.

This is just theorycraft on my part, as I've never actually played against a good Falco with Zelda, but I would see it as even at worst.
Grounded Nayru's can never lead to followups if you're only hitting with the outside, and you'll never have enough time to jump when he's already lasering you.

I have never had trouble with a Falco, so its theorycraft for me as well. I don't care to discuss it more, that's why I haven't contributed to this thread until you tagged me. Sorry!

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
I got the chance to play against 3-6 tonight at one of their weeklies (drove an hour and a half to get there lol) and I guess I just played out of my mind or something. Beat the Luigi player surprisingly easily (I think he was off his game), beat #5's Falcon with Zelda then again with G&W, lost winners semis to the Snake player then beat his Wolf, Snake, and Ganon in Losers Finals (he might have been off his game as well), then made #3 switch off of Falco in Grand Finals to Falcon in game 5 and still almost had it not been for the most poorly mistimed accidental transform while on my last stock trying to place a Dins during recovery, and also after missing a platform drop lightning kick on a Falcon that side b'd directly below me onto the stage (F-smashed on the plat instead zzz).

I definitely think this is doable now, although I still have Darkrain and Strong Bad to contend with.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
As for Falco, he kept trying to approach. I ended up having to predict his lasers, and he ended up getting in too close trying to laser quite a few times which turned into big damage for me after I stuffed him with LC Nayru's. Pillaring Zelda doesn't work at very low percents I found out, but starts working much better at higher percents once Zelda gets hit farther and faster from dair. Anyway, FD and Green Hill Zone worked out fairly well for me against him because of the braindead stuff. So... 4tlas I think what we thought about Falco was probably somewhere in between our theorycrafting. Falco's utilt is really good I discovered.

Wasn't able to get anything recorded, but this weekend hopefully I'll be able to.

noobftw

Smash Cadet
Falco has a hard time to kill zelda imo. All the falcos that I have played that are around my level I can beat them easily and they switch to their secondaries to deal with the match up. If you play in the zone where zelda is comfortable, falco isn't comfortable shooting lasers. My training partner is falco and to me he isn't much of a threat. Lasers from across the stage don't do much and getting close to him makes him respect your LK and not shoot as many lasers.
Also the punish game on falco is really easy and strong. Falco's recovery is no where as strong as fox's so it's easy to edgeguard besides the side b which you have to anticipate.
Also if falcon knows the match up.... it's a *****. All they do is DD camp with nair to beat din's or just wait it out and overshoot pillars until you're at 80% and then dthrow-> knee. Falcon's speed and combo game really just make you want to never approach as well as punish you so hard when you try to counterplay and miss. But if they don't know the match up.... it's upsmash and LK for days :D
My opinion against luigi is that I don't think zelda has the advantage. Luigi's air fireball to ground fireball clank against a LC naryu's. So that option is only good against if your naryu's hit the end, otherwise you eat a shoryu or a nair OOS. Luigi also has his fast down b which is hard to react to with just jab. So when he mixes it up with wavedash jab, run grab, down-b, and fireball to space it's a lot harder to deal with. I chatted witht he PR luigi player in my region about it and he tells me that my options usually are too slow or can't cover everything if they mix up their approaches vs zelda. But I'll try out hte suggestions 4tlas said and see if it's any better.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
Utilt will beat anything Falcon has, it's just a little slow. For Luigi, you have to make him approach (as is the case with most characters against Zelda). I find that mixing up where I throw my Din's keeps him honest. If I throw it in the air and he tries to clank it, I can move in on him and at least gain stage position. If he throws a fireball and wavedashes in, I can LC Nayru's as long as I overshoot him so that he can't shield grab. He could try to mix it up with wavedash ftilt. But in the air and while recovering, he's a sitting duck. Dtilt will beat any Up B sweetspot attempts as long as it's well spaced, meanwhile Luigi has a much harder time edgeguarding Zelda if done correctly.

Falcon does suck hard though.

noobftw

Smash Cadet
Utilt will beat anything Falcon has, it's just a little slow. For Luigi, you have to make him approach (as is the case with most characters against Zelda). I find that mixing up where I throw my Din's keeps him honest. If I throw it in the air and he tries to clank it, I can move in on him and at least gain stage position. If he throws a fireball and wavedashes in, I can LC Nayru's as long as I overshoot him so that he can't shield grab. He could try to mix it up with wavedash ftilt. But in the air and while recovering, he's a sitting duck. Dtilt will beat any Up B sweetspot attempts as long as it's well spaced, meanwhile Luigi has a much harder time edgeguarding Zelda if done correctly.

Falcon does suck hard though.
Utilt is a commitment though. I use it only for reads. One wrong read on the approach then falcon punishes you hard. He can easily DD camp around it as well.
Dtilt beat sweetspot up b for luigi? Also for me against luigi the problem isn't edgeguarding as much as just winning the neutral plus punish game. Luigi gets more from his follow ups and has a better neutral in general which makes him have the upper hand imo. Zelda punished mid fallers and fast fallers pretty well. But with luigi you're forced to win the neutral game more and luigi has more options.
Although I like your opinion on what to do. So I'll keep those in mind next time I play luigi.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
Utilt is a commitment though. I use it only for reads. One wrong read on the approach then falcon punishes you hard. He can easily DD camp around it as well.
Dtilt beat sweetspot up b for luigi? Also for me against luigi the problem isn't edgeguarding as much as just winning the neutral plus punish game. Luigi gets more from his follow ups and has a better neutral in general which makes him have the upper hand imo. Zelda punished mid fallers and fast fallers pretty well. But with luigi you're forced to win the neutral game more and luigi has more options.
Although I like your opinion on what to do. So I'll keep those in mind next time I play luigi.
Yeah utilt is indeed a big commitment, I think it comes out on frame 8 though if you see Falcon short hopping full speed at you. But yeah it can definitely be baited. A good Falcon will dash dance in the range that will allow him to short hop nair in, but not let you set Din's without eating a grab -> easy percent. Falco on the other hand, if you see him full hopping trying to come down with a dair to start shield pressuring, utilt that allll day. Then Falco will have to adjust.

I think Zelda definitely has the tools to win neutral against Luigi, although the Luigi player I play against is typically super patient and doesn't like to commit, which works in Zelda's favor because it allows her to set Din's either on, behind, above, or in front of Luigi (all a mixup). And as long as Luigi is in the air above you he has nothing that will beat your uair other than trying to air dodge. As far as dtilt, it's pretty great for covering the sweetspot option. You may occasionally trade with him, but that's 1% for you and it usually resets the situation or makes him do something suboptimal.

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
For U-tilt, wouldn't you ideally want to hit him with the weaker side, so there are fewer frames to punish and Falcon isn't launched as far if the attack connects?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
MUs |:bowser2:|:falcon:|:charizard:|:diddy:|:dk2:|:falco:|:fox:|:gw:|:ganondorf:|:popo:|:ike:|:ivysaur:|:jigglypuff:|:dedede:|:kirby2:|:link2:|:lucario:|:lucas:|:luigi2:|:mario2:|:marth:|:metaknight:|:mewtwopm:|:ness2:|:olimar:|:peach:|:pikachu2:|:pit:|:rob:|:roypm:|:samus2:|:sheik:|:snake:|:sonic:|:squirtle:|:toonlink:|:warioc:|:wolf:|:yoshi2:|:zelda:|:zerosuitsamus:
:sheik:| 3 | 1 | 0 | ? | ? | -2 | -1 | -2 | 2 | ? | 1 | 2 | -1 | ? | -1 | 3 | 1 | 0 | ? | 0 | 0 | -2 | 1 | 1 | ? | 2 | 1 | ? | -1 | -1 | 0 |:132:| 2 | 0 | -1 | 0 | 1 | -1 | ? | 1 | ?
:zelda:| 2 | 0 | 1 | ? | 1 | -1 | -2 | -2 | 2 | 2 | -1 | 2 | ? | ? | -1 | -1 | 2 | -1 | -1 | 0 | -2 | -2 | 1 | 0 | 2 | ? | ? | ? | 1 | -1 | 1 | -1 | 0* | 1 | -2 | -1 | -1 | -1 | ? |:132:| ?
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Thoughts?
I can only speak for Zelda.

Based on Zhime vs Junebug, I'd put Diddy at -2.
Why do you consider the Ganondorf matchup +2?
Ivysaur at worst goes even with Zelda.
I'd put Jigglypuff at 0.
I'd put King DeDeDe at 0.
I'd put Link at -2.
Why is Lucario +2? From the changelog and discussions, I was under the impression that his gameplay was intact, the differences being that some of his go-to options became less safe and aura takes longer to charge.
I'd put Mario at -1.
I'd put Mewtwo at -1.
I'm not familiar with the Peach matchup from high level footage or real life.
I'm not familiar with the Pikachu matchup from high level footage or real life.
I'd put Pit at -1.
I'm not familiar with the ROB matchup from high level footage or real life.
Why do you consider the Samus matchup +1?
I'd put Squirtle at -3. On Smashboards and reddit, the prevailing opinion is that Squirtle mains have never come close to optimizing the character's meta. Some of the top known Squirtle mains publicly claim online that they're not great at the character. Contrariwise, Zelda has nearly been pushed to her limits the past several versions, and she's not much different from 3.5. The matchup is considered -2 with Zelda's optimal strategy, but I see it as -3 when someone decides to truly invest in Squirtle and push him to his limits. Squirtle has often been cited as a near unwinnable matchup on this board. Heck, it could become -4.
Toon Link is at least -2 according to Lunchables, and I'd agree.
He's short, has a good projectile game, good edgeguarder, and ZSS's combo weight/falling speed. http://smashboards.com/threads/tink-matchup-guide-thread.393875/page-2#post-19596488
Yoshi got significantly nerfed in 3.6. Oracle's 3.5 sets versus Hamyojo suggest that the matchup was near even. I'd put it at 0 minimum in 3.6.
@Zerudahime is Zelda. In general, the matchup would range from -2 to -3 versus him in the ditto.
I'd use the matchup summary for ZSS and put her at -2.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Based on Zhime vs Junebug, I'd put Diddy at -2.
Not a good set to judge the MU from imo...Zhime was flubbing a lot of tech (especially the platform tele-cancels, presumably because this was one of his first tournies in 3.5 and we all know the timing was pretty wack), and both players weren't really playing to the MU well; they were giving away a lot of free punishes, got edgeguarded easily, fell for too many unsafe approaches, etc. Playing well =/= playing well while making use of MU knowledge, and the latter didn't really show up here.

Why do you consider the Ganondorf matchup +2?
Most of my scores are based off 3.02 MU knowledge, along with my 3.5/6 experience to cover some gaps. I gave the Ganon MU a 60-40 score because we pretty obviously win edgeguard/recovery game, and our disjoint gives us a huge edge in neutral game - our options can threaten him much more safely and severely than his. We also have better movement. Ganon in general isn't a character with that great of an MU spread; he reaps high reward from reads, but has to rely on that because of subpar startup lag, range, and movement. And that can work. But when giving a score to how characters shape up to one another, we should judge with the players playing optimally, and with enough MU knowledge to not fall for the reads that Ganon needs to take stocks. Zelda has the tools to keep him a safe-ish distance away, from which she can continue threatening him.

Ivysaur at worst goes even with Zelda.
As in Ivysaur wins or goes even? Explain your reasoning; I have had an Ivy play partner since 3.02 and have always been considered it at least a slightly advantageous. Can't remember the Zelda board's consensus, but I believe that was the opinion of the Ivy boards back from 3.5 too, and we've been buffed since then.

I'd put Jigglypuff at 0.
I actually have no idea how this MU works lol. Have we discussed it here before...? I have a Jiggs friend, but we've only played once in bracket when we met and I didn't want to risk an MU that I assumed would be difficult on both sides...

I'd put King DeDeDe at 0.
Same on this one lol, no idea how it'd go. No knowledge on it, and while he is a big target, he has a ton of disjoint, good recovery (not sure how easy it is to predict and punish waddledash recovery paths, which could be a big factor), good zoning tools, and good juggle game (eww).

I'd put Link at -2.
I would've agreed with you in 3.02, but since 3.5 I feel we can handle him a tad more easily. Either way, it's disadvantageous. As he is now, we can handle his projectile camping, and while swords suck, we can be pretty threatening if spacing just outside his F-tilt range; we can retreat with LC Nayrus or shield projectiles on reaction, and punish his whiffed grounded normals. It's hard to stay in that position because he has so many mixup options, but the fact that it exists and can be entered fairly easily keeps this from being that bad of an MU. Main reason why I think 3.02 Link was so scary was his effective projectile camping (which we did lose to), and how easily he was able to follow-up on any of the stray projectile hits.

Why is Lucario +2? From the changelog and discussions, I was under the impression that his gameplay was intact, the differences being that some of his go-to options became less safe and aura takes longer to charge.
This is from experience. Lucario does screw Zelda up if he can get in, as he does with...anyone, but as we have a few convenient gtfo panic tools that most characters don't to counter this, in case we mess up and he does get in. LKs are scarier to him that most other characters since he's tall and it stuffs a lot of his approaches (which he neeeeds; he can't just camp it out like other characters), and his recovery is pretty darn predictable. It's easy to cover a high/low recovery and then throw out grounded Nayrus, D-smash, or a high/low LK/Nair.

I'd put Mario at -1.
I'd be ok with that; Mario has a tiny advantage imo, but not by much. The thread's OP said +1 = slight advantage = 55:45, and...idk. I still feel that Zelda can do nasty things to Mario back.

I'd put Mewtwo at -1.
IIRC the two scariest things about 3.02 M2 was his aerial tail disjoint (which completely stuffed all our options if he was nearby), his scary-ass F-air (range was nerfed slightly, since it used to be stupid long), being able to aerial straight out of teleport. Zelda couldn't really react to that with anything else but a yolo LK (which would probably either miss or hit stheild), or good ole predictable panic Nayru's. Those things were all nerfed. Without them, I feel that Zelda wins neutral and edge game slightly.

I'd put Pit at -1.
Didn't he get buffed in 3.6? No idea what they changed though lol...hard for me to tell since I just ignored 3.5 Pit entirely. x)
3.02 </33

Why do you consider the Samus matchup +1?
...why wouldn't I? +1 is generous. +2 wouldn't be too far-fetched either. Samus is a character that relies on slow+strong projectiles, which are great for projectile pressure, hard follow-up punishes, etc. Slow is a key word. We invalidate slow projectiles for camping at a distance, and hers are among the few that remain threatening at a close-distance, but are more than slow enough for us to react to even when spacing closely. Link's projectile game is totally different (irrelevant), but one of the big reasons why that MU is harder is because he beats our disjoint with bigger disjoint. He wins the priority fight, although we can still punish him because of his meh frame data. Samus is basically the same thing, but with better frame data (but not much better than ours). This isn't scary because we outprioritize basically all of her normals, because even though she has high priority moves, disjoint > non-disjoint, even if we only have a little.

I'd put Squirtle at -3. On Smashboards and reddit, the prevailing opinion is that Squirtle mains have never come close to optimizing the character's meta. Some of the top known Squirtle mains publicly claim online that they're not great at the character. Contrariwise, Zelda has nearly been pushed to her limits the past several versions, and she's not much different from 3.5. The matchup is considered -2 with Zelda's optimal strategy, but I see it as -3 when someone decides to truly invest in Squirtle and push him to his limits. Squirtle has often been cited as a near unwinnable matchup on this board. Heck, it could become -4.
I'm more than willing to bandwagon this opinion with all my bags of salt, but I haven't experimented with this MU for a long time (who the **** would want to keep playing if secondaries are an option >___<), and from what I've heard he got pretty badly nerfed. And more recently, I've been realizing how nice Zelda's crouch cancel is vs. Sheik, who suffers to crouch cancels just as badly as Squirtle (or so I've heard). So...giving it the benefit of the doubt for now, until I give it another go. If we play super lame, maybe we could do about as well in this MU as some other 40:60 MUs...maybe bring this back to at least 45:65ish instead of just giving up on it completely (only for the sake of clarifying things though...can't imagine anyone would play this in bracket if they had alternate options).

Toon Link is at least -2 according to Lunchables, and I'd agree.
He's short, has a good projectile game, good edgeguarder, and ZSS's combo weight/falling speed. http://smashboards.com/threads/tink-matchup-guide-thread.393875/page-2#post-19596488
Agreed. This one I wasn't 100% on, but now I'm convinced it should be 40:60ish.

Yoshi got significantly nerfed in 3.6. Oracle's 3.5 sets versus Hamyojo suggest that the matchup was near even. I'd put it at 0 minimum in 3.6.
No idea how badly this was, but Odds mentioned he was picking up a Yoshi as a secondary, believing him to be one of the more underlooked characters with crazy potential in 3.5 (along with ROB), and iirc he has maintained this stance since 3.6's release. Tbh I haven't checked his changelog though, and haven't met any half-challenging Yoshi's. He sounds like an even-ish MU, but he looks too jank to make reliable pre-judgements on; he's prob a lot scarier to play than he seems to be on paper.

@Zerudahime is Zelda. In general, the matchup would range from -2 to -3 versus him in the ditto.
That's...not how it works. MU scores are based off of both sides having the same awareness/knowledge of tools/options, the same skill/experience, and both playing optimally. It's ok to use a top player for referencing in MUs, but it's nonsensical to say that Zelda beats Squirtle because we pit the best Zelda vs. some of the best Squirtles and Zhime comes out on top most of the times. Top players are useful in MU comparisons because they play as optimally as we can conceive a character to, or at least exemplify aspects of that ideal. But if you pit a top player like Zhime against an opponent that is chosen specifically because they're worse...it loses usefulness in MU scoring. Besides, MU scores are supposed to be a rouge standard that we can use to guesstimate the difficulty of MUs against those of us around the same skill. If I played another Zelda at my same skill/knowledge/etc. level, then we'd be at 50:50 right? We both couldn't be losing to each other 30:70 lol...

I'd use the matchup summary for ZSS and put her at -2.
From what little I've played of the MU, I'd agree. I assumed that ZSS would have advantage if playing super safe (since both destroy each other in combos, so neutral game is super important and ZSS has ridiculous movement. Although I can see Zelda stuffing a lot of her approach options in neutral...

Btw, forgot to mention that I won't be updating my chart because I already posted my votes to the thread (I actually already changed it once, don't wanna cause the OP anymore trouble again), but thoughts still appreciated.

Last edited:

noobftw

Smash Cadet
Thoughts?
Falcon has the advantage against zelda. His speed and dthrow to knee wrecks zelda really badly. -2
Ike is horrible from the good ike players I've played. Anytime you start out farore's they just hit you with fair and kill you.To me he is just as bad as marth. -2
Ivysaur to me is neutral, they both have options against each other and it's really is whoever wins the neutral.
Link is absolute hell so I agree with downdraft. -2
Lucario should be neutral. I don't think zelda has the advantage. It's again just a neutral playing out. Since zelda doesn't get extreme punishes and lucario doesn't either. 0
m2 should have the slight advantage so -1
Samus should be neutral/ slightly in her favor. It depends on the samus player tbh. If they play aggro with the missiles it's neutral but if they play campy and neutral dependent then it's samus favor. -0.5?
Sonic if they play campy then it's also stupidly hard (although most of them don't, thank god for that) Potential -2?
Squirtle is one of the hardest match ups for zelda imo. You can't stuff his approaches nor grab him. Squirtle kills off the top and can actually juggle zelda. -2 or -3
Yoshi I think it's even to an extent. If you watch out for the grab then it's mostly neutral playing out.
ZSS is definitely in ZSS favor. She is like falcon and sheik in one so it's bad. -1.5
I don't think ganon is +2 from playing the ganons around my level and it's pretty close most of the time.
And Wario should be even. 0
These are how I see it. I could miss out a bunch.

Boiko

:drshrug:
...why wouldn't I? +1 is generous. +2 wouldn't be too far-fetched either. Samus is a character that relies on slow+strong projectiles, which are great for projectile pressure, hard follow-up punishes, etc. Slow is a key word. We invalidate slow projectiles for camping at a distance, and hers are among the few that remain threatening at a close-distance, but are more than slow enough for us to react to even when spacing closely. Link's projectile game is totally different (irrelevant), but one of the big reasons why that MU is harder is because he beats our disjoint with bigger disjoint. He wins the priority fight, although we can still punish him because of his meh frame data. Samus is basically the same thing, but with better frame data (but not much better than ours). This isn't scary because we outprioritize basically all of her normals, because even though she has high priority moves, disjoint > non-disjoint, even if we only have a little.
I wouldn't say that's how Samus works..

Downdraft

Smash Ace
@ ECHOnce ECHOnce

For Diddy, I accept your argument for the invalidity of mine.

Your breakdown of the Ganon matchup makes sense.

For Ivysaur, check out Machiavelli's matchup spread and the post above it. Whether or not you trust his credibility as an active PMDT member and Ivysaur main may influence your views.

I don't have any idea how the Jigglypuff matchup would go either, so I took the spread I used in my matchup summary.

I don't have any idea how DeDeDe would go either, but he was changed fundamentally enough for Ripple to switch to Samus, and when has Zelda had major problems with a fatty before? Other Zeldas can offer better insight on the matchup.

For Link, the strategy is to get in his face and try staying there right? I suppose it may be more manageable than 3.02, but you must remember that Zelda received fundamental changes also, e.g. no escaping his combos or recovering to the stage with Love Jumping and Diamond Diving. I've been told that Zelda could glide toss with teledashing, so that's another loss with telecanceling. We both agree though that played optimally, Zelda would lose.

For Lucario, I have no idea how it would go, so I can't challenge your opinion.

Mewtwo was slightly nerfed in 3.6 Beta. I'd consult http://smashboards.com/members/frozen.217145/ for his opinion of Mewtwo vs Zelda at a high level.

All good players pretty much ignored Pit in 3.5. He was worse off than Zelda in 3.5. His buffs make him a playable character, but I don't theoretically see what would make the matchup worse than -1.

I don't know which Samus players you've battled, but I don't think you've seen her true potential. The only time we had top level footage of that matchup was 3.02 Zhime vs ESAM.

The Zhime thing was a joke.

The thread is an open matchup chart. If our community can settle on Zelda's matchup spread, then we can propose a better version.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Falcon has the advantage against zelda. His speed and dthrow to knee wrecks zelda really badly. -2
I originally put him as -1 because I do find it a hard MU for this reason, but I also feel that we can mess Falcon up pretty easily too. It's true that it's harder to cope with his speed now; 3.5 Dins give him a lot more room to work with to threaten Zelda. Forgot about that, which is probably the worst part of the MU >___< I prob would've change this back to -1 or maybe -2 now that you've pointed it out.

Ike is horrible from the good ike players I've played. Anytime you start out farore's they just hit you with fair and kill you.To me he is just as bad as marth. -2
I haven't faced a good Ike since 3.02 (as Zelda). His disjoint was always hard to cope with, but we could really stuff the movement he relied on to make up his overall slower startups, which probably did make things a lot easier. Got me again here, I'd change it to -2.

Ivysaur to me is neutral, they both have options against each other and it's really is whoever wins the neutral.
Agreed, which is why I feel we win; Zelda's tools can make it hard to play defensively in neutral (walling opponents out and hoping stray projectiles hit), and he doesn't really have any safe approaches.

Link is absolute hell so I agree with downdraft. -2
Idk, still feel that we can treat him as a Marth with more startup on normals (more opportunities to punish; also has fewer arcing normals), projectiles (shuts down our tele-cancel game without plats, which can still be unsafe), easier combo weight (ish), and follow-ups that seem easier to escape from.

Lucario should be neutral. I don't think zelda has the advantage. It's again just a neutral playing out. Since zelda doesn't get extreme punishes and lucario doesn't either. 0
This one I probably shouldn't have given an opinion on...I did mm a decent Lucario in 3.5, but he was sort of at a loss against Zelda stuff. That said, neutral did seem a tad safer for her if played lame with wavelanded LKs lol. His recovery is also predictable, so edge game seems simple enough. Maybe those don't warrant +2, but winning neutral is less demanding on our side, if nothing else. Small stages with lots of plats do make him way scarier though.

m2 should have the slight advantage so -1
I knew from beforehand that this one would be an unpopular opinion. How do you feel about my take on how the MU has changed in my previous post above (response to DownDraft)?

Sonic if they play campy then it's also stupidly hard (although most of them don't, thank god for that) Potential -2?
...LOL that one I think was a typo. Poop. I'll at least fix this one in my vote in the thread, meant to have him at -1 but that's true...it can be worse.

Squirtle is one of the hardest match ups for zelda imo. You can't stuff his approaches nor grab him. Squirtle kills off the top and can actually juggle zelda. -2 or -3
Gonna refer you to my response to DownDraft again. I agree, this MU is stupid. But I haven't played my local Squirtles with Zelda in forever (who would bother to... =____=), so my "current" opinion on the MU is pretty outdated. I feel I should give it the benefit of the doubt since Zelda does have tools against Squirtle (he suffers against CC, has a predictable recovery, we can LK him out of his armor pretty early, he's light+floaty so he can early so long as he actually dies and doesn't get the chance to recover, but still an easy weight to combo if we are able to land something on the bugger). That said, Zelda still has to work hard af to make any of those work, but...maybe it's worth giving a chance?

Yoshi I think it's even to an extent. If you watch out for the grab then it's mostly neutral playing out.
That's good to know...I've been hearing things about Yoshi being underplayed and having high tier potential >___> But if I had to guess I'd say we'd have the tools to win. 0 experience here though so that means nothing lol.

ZSS is definitely in ZSS favor. She is like falcon and sheik in one so it's bad. -1.5
That's what I suspected, but I have 0 actual experience vs. ZSS as Zelda so I couldn't really commit to that aha.

I don't think ganon is +2 from playing the ganons around my level and it's pretty close most of the time.
And Wario should be even. 0
These are how I see it. I could miss out a bunch.
I had a Ganon practice partner who I played daily-ish. I may have been a bit better, but I did consistently well against any other Ganon for that period, too. He's completely relies on mixing up a few tricks and converting them into his stupidly free kill move punishes that come from nowhere. But if you're conditioned frequently on what spacing to look out for different Ganon tricks and play super lame (don't give him the chance to make any reads by just camping lol; he has 0 approaches that work unless he tricks you into dropping shield, chasing you onto a platform, chasing you to the ledge to stall so he can actually camp safely, or underestimating how well he can stuff most approaches), he can't really do much. Really good Ganons have scary ass movement that can be hard to react to sometime soon, but I'm that's my limitation as a worse player. I'm back to going even with Ganon's more recently now that I'm not as conditioned/prepared against their stray hits that steal stocks out of nowhere lol, but that's not what MUs represent.

Samus should be neutral/ slightly in her favor. It depends on the samus player tbh. If they play aggro with the missiles it's neutral but if they play campy and neutral dependent then it's samus favor. -0.5?
I wouldn't say that's how Samus works..
This is the only one I sorta guessed at with just theory stuff (based on a way better Samus and worse Samuses), so I'm open to ideas if that's all wrong. Chevy goes to my local weeklies, but I can't really use that as experience because...well, Chevy lol. Weaker Samuses seem easy enough once you figure out their projectile patterns and stay wary of the range their sudden+long approach range (easy to get caught off-guard while handling projectiles), and I can see some holes in Chevy's setups and spacing that a waaaayy better Zelda might be able to exploit. But this is my least legit scoring so I'll won't defend it further. Chevy did say he feels the MU is 60:40 to Zelda in the same thread, but as he points out, it's hard for the top-level PM players to get enough legit MU insight. We have 4-5ish players in state that could be considered that good, but that's only 3-4 MUs, and even then they have some debatable skill gaps. Zelda isn't one of those 3-4 others here, so I'm assuming she's an MU that he can only sorta guess at too. Unless...not sure if you could be considered on the same tier as Chevy since you're still sorta up-and-coming as a newer threat, but @WhiteCrow have you played him before?

Boiko

:drshrug:
Zhime said that Esam gave him a really hard time and actually beat him back in I belive 3.0. I also played Zhime with Samus pretty recently. And Face, another solid Zelda, is in my region. I still think it's in Zelda's favor, but not by much. My post was more about how you explained how Samus operates, which I disagree with, having played Samus in melee for quite a few years and in PM since her introduction.

Anyway, not trying to discredit or anything like that. Just some outside perspective.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Zhime said that Esam gave him a really hard time and actually beat him back in I belive 3.0. I also played Zhime with Samus pretty recently. And Face, another solid Zelda, is in my region. I still think it's in Zelda's favor, but not by much. My post was more about how you explained how Samus operates, which I disagree with, having played Samus in melee for quite a few years and in PM since her introduction.

Anyway, not trying to discredit or anything like that. Just some outside perspective.
No dude, I don't have much to discredit in the first place lol. I still have a long way to go to stay consistently even with the players just under PR. Felt I maybe have enough insight by now (I used to be wayy more theorycrafting heavy in this thread back in 3.02, which can be either be good for new perspectives or horrible for spreading misinformation...and I'm sure the latter was usually the case hehe...). Any insight you could offer from your experience and Zhime's would be way more useful; I actually haven't seen his set with ESAM before.

EDIT: @ Downdraft Downdraft forgot to respond back to yours, but from what I skimmed I think we reached a mutual understanding for most of them..?

Last edited:

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
I have been summoned!

So 3.5 Mewtwo vs Zelda was a pretty solid -2 for Zelda, but changes in 3.6 to both characters probably pushes this closer to -1.

Both characters are very floaty and are of an average weight, so seeing extended punishes or death combos probably won't happen too often. It's a pretty slow paced, but tense match where commitment is risky due to both characters' powerful KO options on each other.

In 3.6, Mewtwo's Fair got a range reduction, so his long range moves, mostly his tilts, are prone to ASDI down punishes as they're all pretty weak, except for Tipper Ftilt. Abuse this advantage at low %'s to avoid getting combo'd hard early on. To get around this weakness, Mewtwo possesses several strange movement options, including a large WD, Teleport, Hover, and the ability to quickly shift his momentum in the Air using SBC. Good Mewtwo players will use these options to confound their opponents in order to land spaced Tilts to prevent CC retaliation, a Fair, Nair, Grab, etc.

The first thing you should know is that Teleport as an approach is rarely a good idea. If you see a Mewtwo try to brute force his way in with it, send him flying with Utilt, or Shield if you just want to avoid getting hit and deal with him up close afterwards.
Beware trying to shield too much though, as he can use his command grab SideB to beat it.

Because of how floaty she is, Zelda will die to Mewtwo's Uthrow especially early (from ~100 on most stages), which can offset her otherwise decent survivability. Do your best to not get grabbed at high %, though Fair is also a strong vertical kill move that can be combod into via Dtilt, Dair, etc.

Your best bets for stages are ones where Mewtwo doesn't have much room to escape too while also having pretty high ceilings. Thus, GHZ and FoD seem like good locations. Dreamland's ceiling is also MASSIVE so that's pretty good for her too, despite having more room for M2 to escape to. Battlefield seems alright as well. What you DON'T want are PS2, Distant Planet, Norfair, and other stages like those.

I'll probably edit this post to include more later when I'm not tired/lazy

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Your best bets for stages are ones where Mewtwo doesn't have much room to escape too while also having pretty high ceilings. Thus, GHZ and FoD seem like good locations. Dreamland's ceiling is also MASSIVE so that's pretty good for her too, despite having more room for M2 to escape to. Battlefield seems alright as well. What you DON'T want are PS2, Distant Planet, Norfair, and other stages like those.
From what I can tell, don't DJC characters like small platforms stages so they can waveland around plats? I used to think the only reason my local M2 liked them was for his edge-cancel Teleport setups, but I took him to FoD once and he seemed more than comfortable navigating the plats without tele edge-cancels.

As a Sheilda I felt safe experimenting with PS2, since I can go Sheik once I'm knocked far off stage, or transform while refreshing ledge invincibility if I'm nearing mid-high %s. I ended up staying Zelda for longer than anticipated on most stocks and did better there than on my CP to Norfair (for higher ceilings). In hindsight, I think the reason why PS2 worked better was because he couldn't figure out how to safely bait or approach a grounded Zelda under/around the plats, which I couldn't do on Norfair since - as you pointed out - he can retreat more easily, especially to the higher plats when pressured on the ground. By this...I don't camping under a single PS2 platform forever, but always making sure to return Zelda grounded and under/around one if M2 is in a position to approach (close-mid neutral). This limits M2 to approaching/baiting horizontally from center stage, and dash dance --> empty SH away --> perfect waveland in --> LK/Nair/LC Nayrus and the like to punish his whiffs. Platforms also happen to be helpful for extending combos against slow-fallers in general: extra vertical reach, easy platform tech chases with Uair/Nair/LKs, or Zelda shenanigans with perfect wavelands or Tele-cancels off plats --> B-reversed Nayrus or Nair/Dair/LKs to cover grounded tech chases below. (I know these work on characters of most falling speeds, but it can be especially hard to get follow-up on slow-fallers at mid %+s without them.)

So as long as you make it hard for him to get in in the first place, could PS2 work out as an ok stage for Zelda? What can M2 do to get past this?

EDIT: Also...can M2 Usmash oos hit Zelda safely out of LC Nayrus pressure? Or Teleport away oos without being hit, if done early during the shorter Nayrus hitbox range? Might have to test, just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head.

Last edited:

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
Finally getting down to some G&W knowledge
feel free to critique/agree/disagree with anything in here
Good Stages anywhere with relatively close blast zones
warioware
GHZ
(yoshis fits this description but I tend to lose there)
FoD

these stages aren't terrible but aren't optimal
Norfair
Pokémon Stadium 2
Smashville
Final Destination

General Strategy
This match up is absolutely terrible, definitely one of our worst.
What I've found to be most effective is staying within mid range ALL THE TIME
If you let him get too far away he gets to set the pace and approach as he sees fit.
If you get too close at the wrong time you get punished HARD

Kill moves here are Utilt, Uair, Kicks, and every once in a while Backthrow and Fsmash

The general idea here is to stay close enough that you can punish any of his most potent moves on reaction.
You can't combo him all that well so your goal is to do the most damage you can in one or two moves and reset/edge guard.
Over-extension gets you killed.
Fair and Nair are scary but have a decent amount of start-up. Keep your dashdance/wavedash game strong and slap him with a Nair or Kick every time you see him jump. Bacon kind of messes with this but you can punish it similarly.
on the ground his moves are significantly less scary. Our jab and Fsmash out range his but be careful of his Ftilt the outer hitboxes of our disjoints will pull his right into us.

Don't get caught in your shield, definitely don't try to shield grab. Your best bets OoS are buffered roll or WD. If you're feeling ballsy you can try rising Nair or a fade-away Fair/Bair but Dtilt and Jab usually catch you.

Use Din's sparingly. Rarely/never try to use it as a pestering projectile or to control space**. Bucket is terrifying.
You can try to bait out the bucket to net a kick though. sometimes letting him get a charge is worth it if it gets you a kill.
**You can use it to take stage back/close gaps though. He's either going to try to Fair or Bucket so Telecancel right behind Dins. If he Fairs, then shield (he'll have started the move high enough that you can shield grab it), and if he buckets you're free to punish with whatever. Be careful though, this isn't especially sneaky and if you go for it too much you'll get punished. Just try to stay close in the first place.

Down throw will be your go to off of grabs until you hit kill percent off of back throw.

I know this is kind of jumbled so simply put:
Stay close, but not too close. Take him to small stages to net early kills. Don't get hit.

Things to Look out for
Basically his entire kit. Don't get caught shielding. Don't get hit. Play all the footsies and don't let him be the aggressor. Always be up in his space and set the tempo.
Don't try to punish whiffs unless your timing is perfect, his moves have moderate start up but little to no end lag

Last edited:

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
Also worth mentioning that dair frequently shield pokes, which will pop you up. His rar bairs really suck and will only lead to more shenanigans, up air will combo into hammer on Zelda. He's quite scary but really fun to play as. :D

4tlas

Smash Lord
I find shielding to be very useful against his fair and bair. If he lands with fair you can shield grab, if he lands with bair you can shield grab before he does anything else. Nayrus also works against bair very well.

At low percents, upthrow is the way to go. Leads to double upair. At mid percents use either dthrow or fthrow whichever puts him off the ledge, and at high percents just bthrow kill him.

This is all G&W btw, which I agree is a terrible matchup.

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
I find shielding to be very useful against his fair and bair. If he lands with fair you can shield grab, if he lands with bair you can shield grab before he does anything else. Nayrus also works against bair very well.

At low percents, upthrow is the way to go. Leads to double upair. At mid percents use either dthrow or fthrow whichever puts him off the ledge, and at high percents just bthrow kill him.

This is all G&W btw, which I agree is a terrible matchup.
Ah right Bair is super unsafe on shield but Fair isn't. If he starts it low enough he can jab/dtilt/grab on your shield. And he can also space it to be out of grab range and still be able to chase your defensive OoS options.

Also a couple variations of Judgement do massive shield damage (3 and 9 for sure, maybe others?)

Thanks for the info on the throws. I couldn't remember much about grab follow-ups because I know the G&Ws in my region so I just switch to yoshi right off the bat. Matchup is cancer

I hate this character. I think having an entire kit of low risk high reward moves is a terrible design and I have no idea how he didn't get nerfed into the ground this patch but characters like ROB and Yoshi did.

EDIT: Utilt beats out every single one of his aerial approaches except maybe the right angle on a Fair. Save it for when he's at high percent and get a surprise kill

Last edited:

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
Ah right Bair is super unsafe on shield but Fair isn't. If he starts it low enough he can jab/dtilt/grab on your shield. And he can also space it to be out of grab range and still be able to chase your defensive OoS options.

Also a couple variations of Judgement do massive shield damage (3 and 9 for sure, maybe others?)

Thanks for the info on the throws. I couldn't remember much about grab follow-ups because I know the G&Ws in my region so I just switch to yoshi right off the bat. Matchup is cancer

I hate this character. I think having an entire kit of low risk high reward moves is a terrible design and I have no idea how he didn't get nerfed into the ground this patch but characters like ROB and Yoshi did.

EDIT: Utilt beats out every single one of his aerial approaches except maybe the right angle on a Fair. Save it for when he's at high percent and get a surprise kill
Utilt is also fairly committal and can be baited out. But you're definitely correct about the spaced fair: it's safe if it's spaced well.

If you play a character with a sword you should use that against Game and Watch IMO, Snake is also a bad matchup for Game and Watch if you're looking to learn him. He's quite fun. But if you're committed to using Zelda, you've got a long road ahead against him.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Utilt is also fairly committal and can be baited out. But you're definitely correct about the spaced fair: it's safe if it's spaced well.

If you play a character with a sword you should use that against Game and Watch IMO, Snake is also a bad matchup for Game and Watch if you're looking to learn him. He's quite fun. But if you're committed to using Zelda, you've got a long road ahead against him.
Off topic, but would Pit count? The swords are disjoint, but they aren't lengthy.

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Pit does well against GnW. Marth is a hard counter, Ganon Roy fox and falcon are soft counters. A few characters go even (sheik is one of them so switch often if you play sheilda)

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I don't think Pit does well against GnW. Marth is a hard counter, Ganon Roy fox and falcon are soft counters. A few characters go even (sheik is one of them so switch often if you play sheilda)
Then I just better hope I don't run into a good G&W. Marth is the second most popular character and would be an "acquired taste" type of character for me. If I picked him up, there'd be little point in having a Zelda. He covers many of her bad matchups and some. I would just main him. I play PM for fun rather than for glory, so it's not currently necessary for me to pick up a good character I'm not interested in to compete.

noobftw

Smash Cadet
I recently picked up tink to deal with luigi, kirby, and other floaties. Game and watch could be included as well. His projectile game is great and although he doesn't have lightning kicks. He has speed, up b, upair, and dair to get plenty of confirms off of his projectiles. He is a little more technical but definitely fun.
I think he covers a lot of zelda's bad match ups or match ups where zelda just has a rougher time in neutral. So I think dual maining both of them will help me a lot more in tournies.

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
Tink is amazing, but every time I try him I just don't like it :/

Anyone have experience in the Zard MU?
I have TONS (roommate is a Zard main) but it's mostly me getting bopped

4tlas

Smash Lord
Tink is amazing, but every time I try him I just don't like it :/

Anyone have experience in the Zard MU?
I have TONS (roommate is a Zard main) but it's mostly me getting bopped
Zard MU definitely in our favor, the question is by how much. He's large which means easy multihits and sweetspots and he can't dodge anything including every single Dins placement. Unfortunately this is the large heavy that kills off the top well which is Zelda's weakness.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Zard MU definitely in our favor, the question is by how much. He's large which means easy multihits and sweetspots and he can't dodge anything including every single Dins placement. Unfortunately this is the large heavy that kills off the top well which is Zelda's weakness.
Is he comparable in some respects to Mewtwo? They both have range and a kill throw that's super effective on Zelda. I know Charizard can up-B her off the top just like Sonic could Up-B U-air.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Is he comparable in some respects to Mewtwo? They both have range and a kill throw that's super effective on Zelda. I know Charizard can up-B her off the top just like Sonic could Up-B U-air.
Charizard is faster but fatter. Mewtwo has to be approached but can teleport in and generally has more options available to him at any given time. Vs. Mewtwo isn't too bad because most of his gimping and combo tools don't work on Zelda, but he can still juggle and if he's good enough he can carry you off the top with teleport fair. I would say Vs. Mewtwo is in his favor, but not by much. I have yet to actually have a problem with a Mewtwo, so that's theorycraft.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Charizard is faster but fatter. Mewtwo has to be approached but can teleport in and generally has more options available to him at any given time. Vs. Mewtwo isn't too bad because most of his gimping and combo tools don't work on Zelda, but he can still juggle and if he's good enough he can carry you off the top with teleport fair. I would say Vs. Mewtwo is in his favor, but not by much. I have yet to actually have a problem with a Mewtwo, so that's theorycraft.
Even though there's a great amount of character diversity, I was wondering if there was a gameplan that works for another character that could work versus Charizard.

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
Even though there's a great amount of character diversity, I was wondering if there was a gameplan that works for another character that could work versus Charizard.
Don't get hit.
He's basically a fatter but scarier Marth/mewtwo

I just feel like I have to put in so much work and he gets easy early kills.

It's really hard for me to deal with an aggro zard. He's fast enough+has enough range to rush us down without really worrying about being stuffed.

The only time I can safely get a Dins out is if he's ALL the way across the stage.

The mixup between crouch jab/ftilt and grab out of his grounded approach is usually too much for me to handle.

And he loves FOREVER unless you can get under him with a Utilt or Uairs.

I generally avoid small stages because it's impossible to get away.

Also I'm just bad though, so I'll try to get a match or two recorded so you guys can help me out?

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
Ah. I would say treat it like he's Bowser. Once you're comboing him its easy to land everything you want but he's still hard to kill. In neutral, instead of upB OoS, you need to be afraid of Charizard's grab if you're close or upsmash/dash->anything if you're a decent ways away. Your best options in neutral are to either read and stuff his approaches or harass with Dins until you can get a grab (offensive or OoS is fine). Every time you get backed into a corner try and do it on your own terms so you can teleport to the other side of him and regain stage control long enough to throw more Dins. If he starts following the teleport instead of sitting in shield, you need to start teleporting at or near him and go on the offensive, at least enough to make him fear it again. If you're being combo'd, DI hard to one side and Farore's Boost out of there. I say Farore's Boost instead of Nayru's Glide because you need to get back down to the ground before he does or he's just going to follow you with his great ground speed and hit you again. If you're being juggled, remember he can jump up to meet you at any time, so you need to be ready to airdodge and then fastfall to get down to the ground ASAP. Pretty much everything is the same as Bowser.

Does that help?

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Ah. I would say treat it like he's Bowser. Once you're comboing him its easy to land everything you want but he's still hard to kill. In neutral, instead of upB OoS, you need to be afraid of Charizard's grab if you're close or upsmash/dash->anything if you're a decent ways away. Your best options in neutral are to either read and stuff his approaches or harass with Dins until you can get a grab (offensive or OoS is fine). Every time you get backed into a corner try and do it on your own terms so you can teleport to the other side of him and regain stage control long enough to throw more Dins. If he starts following the teleport instead of sitting in shield, you need to start teleporting at or near him and go on the offensive, at least enough to make him fear it again. If you're being combo'd, DI hard to one side and Farore's Boost out of there. I say Farore's Boost instead of Nayru's Glide because you need to get back down to the ground before he does or he's just going to follow you with his great ground speed and hit you again. If you're being juggled, remember he can jump up to meet you at any time, so you need to be ready to airdodge and then fastfall to get down to the ground ASAP. Pretty much everything is the same as Bowser.

Does that help?
Perhaps you can add stages and combine your posts into a matchup summary?

4tlas

Smash Lord
Perhaps you can add stages and combine your posts into a matchup summary?
Ew, I didn't want to contribute to this effort because I don't want my opinion to be the official advice people see when they look for help! =P

You're welcome to use whatever I say, but I don't want to put up my opinion as fact without some consensus. And if I write up a summary and then have it shot down, I've wasted my time. Catch22

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Ew, I didn't want to contribute to this effort because I don't want my opinion to be the official advice people see when they look for help! =P

You're welcome to use whatever I say, but I don't want to put up my opinion as fact without some consensus. And if I write up a summary and then have it shot down, I've wasted my time. Catch22
What do you think I did for the 10 matchups I wrote, especially the 7 recent ones?
This project won't be done well if at all without people stepping up to at least contribute matchups. Our boards have been quieter lately, and there's little we can do to positively influence other's activity, but we must consider that there are lurkers and guests that visit our boards, and an incomplete thread like this can be disappointing. In a game where all 41 characters see tournament play, this guide as it stands right now might not be even be that helpful. The completed matchups also can become inaccurate over time. 3.6 Beta saw changes to some matchups and the stage list, but discussions regarding how the OP should be updated have not occurred.

Top Bottom