• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Main(s) for SSBU

D

Deleted member

I looked, and I couldn't find any post that used this topic(I don't think threads before the 11/1 thread count, because we didn't know the roster. Right? right? right......?)

Rules:
Use Emotes
Maximum Main(s)= 6
Explain why you main your character(s)

Order should be
1= Main Main
2=Secondary Main
3= Third Main
etc etc

Main 1: :ultmario: Easily one of the best characters to learn, with a decent learning curve. Has decent juggling skills, and can spike if used right.

Main 2::ultinkling: Wanted a newcomer as one of my mains, and Inkling has that "fast but deadly" feel. Appears to have a slightly higher learning curve than Mario(and my other main) but still looks fun to play.

Main 3::ultdiddy: Monkey Business, my friend. Monkey Business.
*AHEM*
Jokes aside, Diddy Kong, surprisingly, is really good. He can combo well, has decent field control(BANANA OP) and button mashing is a semi-viable strategy with him.(I have won a game doing that) All in all, he's great to play, but not top tier.

EDIT: AFTER playing for a while, my mains have changed.

Main 1::ultgnw:

Really floaty and has decent recovery.

Main 2::ultwiifittrainer:

Really good at spiking and has a okqy recovery.

Main 3::ultincineroar:

Trash recovery but can kill really early.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Main 1: :ultlucina: I like the shield breaker moves.

Main 2::ultrobin: I like his costume.

Main 3::ultchrom: Because he is Lucina's father, he will be strong.

Last edited:

Kugelhagelfisch

Smash Cadet
Main: :ultkingdedede: Dreamland King best King!
As for secondaries I'll be looking for something that'll cover bad matchups. I'd need some actual practise to fully decide that first but characters I really want to try out will be:
:ultpokemontrainer: Loved Charizard and I think Trainer might possibly high tier or at least a lot of fun.
:ultincineroar: Heavies and grapplers are my thing.
:ultpiranha: Plant Gang Plant Gang Plant Gang Plant Gang
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight: Gotta make that Dreamland team complete.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Updated since 2019

:ultdiddy:, despite the nerfs he got he's still a lot of fun with his wild acrobatics and I still feel like I do better with him than others.

:ultjigglypuff:, now that she has some buffs I feel more confident in using her plus it's still a lot of fun to gimp foes with her aerial attacks.

:ultvillagerf::ultisabelle: I can't really decide whether who I like more out of these two but they are both a lot of fun with that hilariously unorthodox style of fighting.

:ultwendy: While she still has some janky issues, I still get a kick out of wrecking my opponents with the Koopa clown car.

Honorable mentions,
:ultinkling::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ulticeclimbers::ultwolf::ultincineroar::ultluigi::ultganondorf:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My mains are still "The Ladies of Faith" as can be seen in my signature:
  • Main 1: :ultpeach: - She has been my main in Smash ever since I started playing Melee. Also, she is my #1 favorite character in the Mario series to play as. Her low ease-of-use rating was the thing that made me want to learn advanced tech even though I have never played Smash competitively. She loves pink, I love the color pink too, which explains how my posts will hereafter be colored in pink.
  • Main 2: :ultdaisy: - My other favorite character in the Mario series. My mind was immediately made up on who to main in Ultimate when she was announced.
  • Main 3: :ultrosalina: - Now officially my third favorite Mario character. Same as Peach, she has a very low ease-of-use rating, which is what I am looking for.
  • Main 4: :ultbayonetta: - I love her classic outfit far more than the one from Bayo 2. When I saw how much of a formidable force she was in Smash 4, it was after I picked up my :4bayonetta2: amiibo I wanted to main her alongside my other girls. She may not be as formidable in Ultimate, but that will not deter me.
As for secondaries...:ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultpiranha: pique my interest. But since the OP says not to list more than six, I shall not cover them.

Sayonara :kirby:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Main 1: :ultness: I love Ness's kit to death. He has solid zoning tools in PK Fire (a trapping projectile that racks up a lot of damage and can be a setup for a big hit or a grab) and PK Thunder (being a guided projectile means it can strike from pretty much anywhere), great frame data on his jab and tilts, an array of useful aerials, and some solid kill moves in his forward smash, back throw, and back air (using PK Thunder 2 as an attack is sadly rather hard to do without getting attacked while steering the projectile into Ness, and PK Flash is just too freaking slow). Overall, I just love the way Ness's moves work.

Main 2: :ultjigglypuff: I started maining Jigglypuff in Melee because Rollout is a satisfying move to land, though over the years, I’ve come to have more appreciation for Jigglypuff's true strengths; her unparalleled aerial mobility and horizontal recovery with her multiple jumps, floatiness, Pound, and nigh-unrivaled air speed, her amazing aerials, and Rest (a move that comes out on Frame 1 and is able to reliably KO is crazy). Playing as Jigglypuff is all about maintaining a brutal and relentless aerial blitzkrieg, which isn't how I usually play, but it can be fun to just be a complete in-your-face pest every now and again.

Main 3: :ultlucario: I'm a very causal player and despite my tendency to play cautiously, I tend to get hit a lot. Lucario's Aura is tailor-made for staging a comeback even if it does poorly at the start of the match, and I’ve come to appreciate being able to naturally compensate for screw-ups and bad plays in ways that no other character can.

Main 4: :ultsnake: Like Ness, Snake has a guided projectile in his Remote Missile, and while it's tough to steer, it can be canceled by shielding, meaning that Snake isn't screwed if the opponent gets past the missile. Snake also has grenades for more projectile action and, my favorite part, a sticky bomb for trap-setting (though I preferred his old down smash from Brawl — a landmine that explodes when the foe steps on it is much more convenient than one that has to be set off manually). I'm also very fond of Snake's up Smash (launching a projectile into the air), and his forward smash packs a big punch. His tilts and aerials are amazing, too. His only real issue is his poor mobility, though his recovery move is all right.

Main 5: :ultkrool:K. Rool's attributes and moveset are tailor-made for having the absolute best longevity of any character. He's the second-heaviest character, but unlike Bowser (the one character who outweighs him), he has decent all-around mobility and an amazing recovery move. He has two projectiles, allowing him to be decent at camping, and he has a counter that doubles as a reflector, allowing him to negate attacks that strike him (though only from the front). Plus he has a couple of moves that can bury foes, and several moves with super armor that not only negate knockback, but also reduce damage taken. Basically, he's a dream come true for risk-averse, patient, survival-focused players such as myself. And I haven't even mentioned how hard he hits! The one concern I have is that his frame data looks a bit shaky, but I guess that's to be expected from someone of his weight class.

Main 6: :ultpacman: For Pac-Man, it's hard to explain, but I just like his moves. Bonus Fruit provides a variety of useful projectiles, Power Pellet is a great rushing move and recovery aid, the trampoline is cool, and the Fire Hydrant is a multipurpose projectile, mobility aid, and gimping tool. Plus, his normals generally have a solid ratio of power to frame data (pity about his slow smashes and grab, though). Why exactly is he low-tier again?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
OK, here goes:
Competitive mains:
:ultkingdedede:: Memes
:ultkirby:: Fun and easy
:ultpalutena:: Tied for best girl with :ultzelda:
:ultcloud:: Fun strings
:ultlucina:: I keep hitting sour with Marth
:ultkrool:: Love heavyweights
:ultbowser:: Fun grab game
:ultincineroar:: "Incineroar loves children"
:ultcorrin:: Insta-pin, insta win
:ultmario:: Cape OP, please nerf
:ultpiranha:: P L A N T G A N G
Not-as-competitive mains:
:ultdk:: Ding-dong, mother****er
:ultfalcon:: For the people
:ultganondorf:: R.I.P. upsmash
:ultluigi:: C. Elegant
:ultmarth:: Tippah
:ultinkling:: *Distressed squid noises*
:ultmetaknight:: Looks OP, but fun
:ultmewtwo:: HmmhmmHMM
:ultzelda:: Tied for best girl with :ultpalutena:
:ultwolf:: "Playtime's over"
:ultpeach:/:ultdaisy:: :GCD::GCB:
:ultdarkpit:: :GCR::GCB:
:ultridley:: Looks like a glass cannon of sorts
:ultrobin:: Knowledge is POWER
:ultrosalina:: Luma. No, I'm not maining Rosalina, just Luma
:ultroy:: C'mere, *****
:ultken:: Johnny Lawrence
:ultdarksamus:: FLOATY
:ultrichter:: Hey Richter, are you cold?
:ultsnake:: SNAAAAAAAAAAKE!
:ultwiifittrainer:: "Stretch those shoulders"
:ultyounglink:: OOT nostalgia
:ultzss:: Nairo

Mimic88

Smash Cadet
:ultjigglypuff: - Float like a Butterfree, sting like a Beedrill
:ultlittlemac: - When a professional asskicking is truly necessary
:ultwario: - A little of both from above

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I have NO idea who I am going to MAIN MAIN yet, but in the past, I usually end up as one of the princesses, Zelda or Peach. So I will list the 6 I HOPE to use very efficiently, while maining 1 or 2 of them...

:ultpeach::ultdaisy:- Paisy has been my best character since melee. I always clicked with her moveset, think her counter is underused but amazing, I love evasive capabilities with all the floating =P, and her FS putting people to sleep is SUPER under rated. Nothing sweeter than putting your opponents to sleep and waltzing over to the one with 120% damage and putting a frying pan to their FACE! (oh and being able to SELECT between the 3 Fsmashes now? Game changer!

:ultinkling:- The inkling is a character I hope I click with and have desires to main in ultimate. I LOVE splatoon, and even with a somewhat busy life, I have hundreds of hours sunk into those games and think the inklings are just adorable. Their move set seems really fun and potent, while they have good speed and recovery. I think a good inkling will not only be ADORABLE, but very powerful.

:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:- Samus....Oh samus...you have always kinda sucked in all iterations of smash, but hopefully ultimate will find you at least VIABLE. Metroid is my favorite nintendo franchise (but it better watch out depending on how splatoon evolves over the years!) and I used to play the original metroid when I was like 3. I have a connection with Samus and the metroid franchise, so I hope I can pull her off in ultimate.

:ultridley:- Similar reasons as samus. I dreamt of Ridley in smash since the melee days, and used to talk about it with my childhood best friend (we have fallen out of touch over the years) and I wonder if he is still a gamer and squealing with excitement over this, as he wanted Ridley even more than me!

:ultzss:- Again Samus...nothing new to say compared to suited samus and ridley

:ultrichter::ultsimon:- The wild card of my selected roster, as I have not really gotten into a Castlevania game since Symphony of the night, as I never bother with handheld systems and 3D ones kind of suck...still, I have been playing Castlevania since I was a toddler on the original NES, still play the original, IV, and SOTN. Someday maybe I will broaden my castlevania horizons, but I still like the series and the Belmonts look SO FUN to play!

ZSSamus_

Smash Rookie
:ultzss: going back to the basics
:ultpikachu: original main

that's it for now I think, til I get the game and experiment.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Main 1: :ultlucina:/:ultmarth: These characters are some that I have been using for awhile now and are some of my most familiar.

Main 2: :ultroy: I loved what they did for him in Smash 4, but I always felt he needed a little more. With what people have been saying about him in Ultimate, I am excited for him.

For Fun characters: :ultbayonetta:, :ultwolf:, :ultganondorf:, :ultsnake:, :ultzss: Bayonetta I was never really good with, but I do enjoy her games, so naturally I have to play as her every now and then. It also helps that she is pretty fun to play. Wolf was another character that I enjoyed playing just for fun in Brawl, and I am excited he is coming back. Ganondorf is usually my go to character for free for all, or just for ****s and giggles. Snake is in the same boat as Bayonetta, I like his games and find him fun, but I am not that great with him. Zero Suit Samus is my favorite to play out of the Metroid reps we had in previous games. Not too great with her, but she has always been a fun one to play as.

Runner Ups::ultlink:, :ultyounglink:, :ulttoonlink: I was always familiar with Link in all the Smash games I played, and he was the character I originally used to unlock everyone in Melee and Brawl in VS matches, so these characters always hold a special place in my heart.

Characters I need to try first before I can say anything about them: :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:, :ultshulk:, :ultcloud: The Belmonts are a character that I need to have in my hands before I want to commit anything to them, but it looks promising for them so far, since they look to be so much fun. They are also my highest anticipated newcomer for Ultimate. I used to main Shulk in the beginning of Smash 4's lifespan, but then I dropped him, since I thought there wasn't enough reward coming out of him compared to the work that I was putting into him. Heard he got buffed in Ultimate, so it will be interesting to see what he has got in store for him in this game. Cloud was my main in Smash 4 (Shocker,) but I am not sure what I have to think about his nerfs to limit in this game, so I will have to try him out a bit.

Last edited:

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
Oh god yes I love these threads.

Main 1: :ultlucina: BABYGIRL. I've been playing Lucina since vanilla Smash 4. Never dropped her and I've always had the best results with this character. I'm so glad she's finally consider viable now I can't wait to see what people can do.

Main 2: :ultdiddy: Diddy was a monster back in the day, and I just got so used to his playstyle. I find that I do fairly decent with him and I've learned a lot of info about this character, such as character mixups and kill confirms.

Main 3: :ultsimon: Simon ****ing Belmont dude, I don't even have to say anymore, just that alone is a good enough reason why I should main him.

Main 4: :ultsheik: If all else fails, I'll switch to Shiek. She was my main in 3ds, and for some reason I would always win with her. Her combos are so fast and I just get so pumped up playing her, like if nothing can touch me. I used to get amazing results.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Main 1: :ultyoshi: DUH!!!

Main 2: :ultrichter: Rondo of Blood is amazing

Main 3: :ultshulk: 2 reasons. 1) Shulk is such an amazing protagonist and 2) you feel accomplished when you learn how to use his very technical playstyle...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Somewhat tentative since this is a different game than Smash 4 and depending on how certain characters play things could be different a couple weeks or months from now.

:ultlink:-Main since 64, has been consistently my best character, even when he was considered bad (which was pretty much all the time lol). Very excited to see what tricks he's got up his sleeves in Ultimate since he's gotten a decent amount of changes. Probably the only character that will for sure be a main in Ultimate.

:ultzss:-Used her since Brawl, she's got one of the best combinations of speed and jumping ability and is one of the most satisfying characters when used effectively.

:ultcloud:-was always a big fan of FFVII so his announcement was really hype for me. Was an instant main for me. (Since he's also one of the best in the game it was easy to keep him as a main tbh)

:ultroy:-Was one of my best in Melee. Always prefered his more aggressive style compared to Marth. Actually quite excited to play him in Ultimate since he's looking really solid.

There's quite a few other characters I'm looking forward to using or at least trying out but since we're only allowed 6 I'll go ahead a pick the two newcomers I'm most excited for.

:ultridley:-He finally made it! And he honestly looks fun as hell. So long as he's not completely terrible he'll definitely find his way into my rotation.

:ultdarksamus:-Been a big supporter of Dark Samus since Brawl and I'm super excited she's in the game now! While her moveset isn't too different from Samus since she's an echo fighter that sort of works in her favour since I do use Samus. We'll see how both of them play once the game releases tomorrow!

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
:ultike: Because :ike:

:ultshulk: Liked him in Smash 4 and have a gut feeling I will like him more in Ultimate once I've acclimated.

:ultpichu: Because **** you, that's why.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
There are two types of characters that I prefer to use in Smash: Swordfighters, and Heavy hitters. My list of current and potential mains should reflect this.

Main 1: :ultmarth:I always have a blast playing with Marth and he has been my primary go to guy since his introduction in Melee (not counting the first months of Smash 4 before he was patched.) I've gotten really skilled at spacing thanks to Marth, and can more often than not land those satisfying tips.

Main 2: :ultike: I consider Ike to be tied for 1st place with Marth, but since I technically have more time put in for Marth (if only by a tiny bit) I've placed Ike at number two. Ike is one of my favourite video game protagonists, he's a common mercenary who's blunt, badass, and who doesn't give two damns about royalty; a very much needed breath of fresh air when it comes to Fire Emblem protagonists. He also falls under both my preference categories, so I instantly picked him up in Brawl. Been loving every second ever since, and I'm so happy he's finally getting the attention he deserves in Ultimate with all of his buffs.

Main 3: :ultganondorf: Although not the best of characters, Ganondorf more than makes up for it in sheer entertainment. I have so much fun playing Ganondorf that he ended up being my third most played fighter in Smash 4. So happy to see him buffed and using a sword in Ultimate.

Main 4: :ultlink: Link was my main in Smash 64, mainly because I'm a huge Zelda nerd, but I also liked his reach. Link is the sole reason why I like using swords in Smash and I've used him in every subsequent game since. Plus, Link himself is one of my favourites and BoTW Link's design is great.

Main 5::ultlittlemac: Never played Punch Out!!, but I'm a big fan of boxing and liked the look of Mac's speed and power in his game trailer. His moveset just sort of clicked with me. It's a simple play style, but you also have to stay on your toes and be patient in order to be successful. My kind of fighter.

Main 6: :ultroy: My first Melee main. I preferred Roy over Marth in my early days with the game because of his design, epic voice and fire attributes. (Little did I know at that time. XD ) Even once I switched over to Link and Marth, I'd always pull out Roy now and again for some fun. I was pretty sad when he didn't make it into Brawl and was really hyped when he finally came back in Smash 4. I didn't use him as much as my other 5 guys, but I still have fun using him time to time. In Ultimate though, he's looking like he's going to be pretty strong, so I'll definitely still be using him, and maybe even more now.

Since I have not yet played Ultimate as of this post, I'll list off the newcomers that I'll be trying out and may eventually come in somewhere on this list.

:ultridley:: Love him as a villain in Metroid, and he's got some interesting moves from what I've seen. I love high risk, high reward type characters, so I'll definitely be giving Ridley a try. So damn happy he's finally a fighter in Smash, given he's technically been in every Smash game. XD

:ultrichter:: This was originally going to be Simon...until Richter showed up and stole his spotlight. XD Rondo of Blood is one of my favourite Castlevania games and I just prefer Richter's personality and design over Simon's. (Not to say that I dislike Simon the Barbarian, I still think he's cool, but Richter's cooler IMO) As seen with Marth, I like out spacing my opponents, so the Belmont's whip is right up my alley. His projectiles also seem really good and can cover many different situations.

:ultkrool:: I love King K. Rool. The crazy eyes and expressions, the extra thicc belly, his wacky weapons and equipment, everything about him is what I like to see in a goofy villain archetype. I loved him in the DKC games and in 64 and ave been greatly missing him in the new DK games, so I'm really glad that Sakurai put him in. (Thank you, ballot) But even without my nostalgia towards the Kremling Kommander, his kit is looking really intriguing. He's heavy, but also mobile and decently fast and with a good recovery to boot. I'll for sure be putting in the hours labbing the heck out of him.

:ultincineroar:: The more I learned about Incineroar, the more I wanted him in the game. Beforehand, Decidueye was my pick for Gen 7, but come on, he's a macho Cat wrestler that's on fire; I just can't say no to that. XD People are giving him a hard time due to his slow movement and less than great recovery, but I main Ganondorf and Little Mac, so I'm used to bad recoveries. XD His power is looking mighty juicy though. Revenge and Alolan Whip look pretty busted, so I'm looking forward to using them. XD

moewubbox

Smash Rookie
Main 1::ultpokemontrainerf:Pokemon Trainer is by far my favorite character, mostly because it’s three characters in one, and i’m awesome at all three. I like to start off with Squirtle and finish off my opponent with Charizard, doing damage with all three as the battle goes on. I’m glad they’re still one unit. I mained them in Brawl, and i’m maining then now. I always choose the alternate that makes all three white, because that color swap is apparently based off Hilda from Pokemon Black And White, and Gen 5 is my favorite gen.

Main 2::ultwiifittrainer:I hated this character in Smash 4, but something compelled me to try her out in Ultimate, and suddenly i’m now really good with her. I’ve learned her moves inside and out to improve my playing with her. i always focus on trying to charge Salute the Sun, while still being aware of my opponent. It makes me sad now to think she probably won’t make it to smash 6.

Main 3::ultlucario:Lucario has also been with me since Brawl, and he’s not going anywhere. The aura ability he has makes him a solid choice in my opinion. I’ve always been able to make a comeback with this character.

Main 4::ultfalco:He was my main in Smash 4, and although i’m not as good with him in this game, i still like to play him a lot. i think he’s fun to play as, and i’m sure i’ll get better at him again in not time.

Main 5::ultganondorf:Now that he’s actually a viable character, he’s become waaaaay better to play as. I love his new design and his new smash attacks, and i’ve become a beast with him.

Main 6::ultmario::ultlucina::ultpichu::ultmegaman::ultinklingboy:I wont go into detail, but these guys i’ve also played quite a bit and i’ve gotten better with them, especially Mario and Mega Man.

MetaGiga

Smash Apprentice
Main: :ultolimar: I just click with him really well. You know?

I feel so alone :,)

Last edited:

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Main 1 - :ultzelda: - Picked her up two months ago in prep for Ultimate. Her redesign did initially get me interested, but she also looked really fun from the pre-release gameplay I saw. Repping a character who has historically been bottom tier was something attractive, especially because she looked better (though not overly dominant). I didn't expect her to be my main because she goes against the character type I enjoy, but her kit really works for me in this game. She's a blast to use.
Main 2 - :ultpikachu:- He's been here since my first days with the series with Brawl in 2008 (Don't hate me). Great speed, hit-and-run ability, solid all-around character in each game I use him in. No complaints here.
Main 3 - :ultsonic: - The entire reason I got into the series. I had been a fan of his for a few years at the time, so anything with Sonic in it got my attention. His speed allows me to get in close and deal minimal damage that adds up. Combos with him have always been smooth. I struggled with him in Sm4sh because I couldn't camp at all, which is why I was glad it got taken away in Ultimate.
Main 4 -:ultzss: - I picked her up over the summer, and she was fun to use right away. She became my main in the late days of Sm4sh. Great speed (I guess you're starting to see a theme here LOL), solid projectiles, good grab game - she was the total package IMO. She feels weirder in Ultimate because of her nerfs, but I'm still willing to learn how to use her effectively. You have to work a lot harder to win with her, which is a good challenge.

Calamitous

Smash Rookie
Main 1: :ultinkling:
I love Inkling, her fast air game and good kill confirms make for a high-octane character with good mobility and combo game.

Main 2::ultpichu:
Pichu's small size and rapid comboes are similar to Inkling while having a reliable meteor smash.

Main 3::ultrichter:
I like Richter's range and zoning capabilities. He looks better than Simon too.

Main 4::ultchrom:
I love Chrom's reliable combo game and edgeguarding capabilities.

Main 5: :ultpiranha:
Since he's not out, I'm putting him here because he deserves a spot on this list. He's definitely being Main 1 no matter what.

I just noticed all of my picks except Piranha Plant since we don't know yet are all K Rool counters.
Good choices.

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
Competitive play (mains, secondaries, pockets)
:ultfalcon::ultbowser:- Back to basics
:ultpalutena::ultjigglypuff:- I wanted to use them in Smash 4, but they both sucked, and now that their buffed, i'll want to try them now
:ultwario::ultkingdedede:- Same applies to these 2, but i probably wouldn't used them as much
:ultrob:- Was my best secondary in Smash 4
:ultwolf::ultdaisy::ultridley:- I wanted all these prior to Smash Ultimate, and now they're all here, i want to try Daisy the most of the 3

For Fun:
:ultganondorf:-Sicko mode Falcon
:ultike:- For those meaty sword hits
:ultkrool::ultpichu:- For the people
:ultrichter:- To make use of projectiles
:ultyoshi::ultdk::ultike::ultmario::ultrosalina::ultmetaknight:- When i'm bored

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So far

Main 1: :ultness: he has been since Melee and he got really good in this game which is awesome

Secondary 1: :ultwolf: he’s just really fun to play and was intuitive to pick up for me

Secondary 2: :ultlucina: the obligatory swordie and she’s really fun to play, has great edgeguarding and spacing tools, and is just a strong character overall

I may end up dropping either Lucina or Wolf (probably Wolf) because I don’t wanna stretch myself too thin and my secondaries can end up changing completely, it’s early. So far this is what I’m rolling with though. Plus since they’re all High/Top tier in this game and they all do something a little different I won’t have to worry about any matchup problems. I’ll have all my matchups covered

Last edited:

Tokyo Cloud

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1692-5700-5908
So, mine are:

Main 1: :ultcloud:picked him up when he released in 3DS/WiiU though I mainly used him in the WiiU version. He's fun and easy to use and, for me, he is a character I can actually use and say I'd at least be able to keep up with my friends and brother in matches. Also cause I love FF.

Main 2: :ultmarth:used him a lot in Melee and Brawl, can't just drop him! He's also up there in my favorite lords in FE.

Main 3: :ultcorrin:similar with Cloud, I picked them up in 3DS/WiiU though I used Corrin mainly in the 3DS version, also has my favorite FS. Always used male Corrin though as I like him more than the female variant, also his default portrait in Fates is so adorable.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
This was the hardest decision I have made in a long time. With Ultimate, I intend to regularly attend weeklies and tournaments, so I am limiting my number of mains to 3. Anything above that is just inefficient in my opinion.

The problem is, I just love so many characters in Ultimate, and to pick just 3? That is hard. But I needed to stop flip flopping, so i made my picks.

:ultmewtwo:- Loyal to this guy to the end. Been my true main since Melee, all of Smash 4, and now Ultimate. He was always a lock.

:ultwolf:- So. Much. Fun. I always loved him in Brawl when I was younger, but i had no idea what i was doing! But now he is back, and his playstyle is incredibly fluid and I think he is incredibly underrated. Still actively learning him.
:ultbowser:-Picked him up 2 days ago, clicked with me instantly. Super fundamentals based, really good and teaching me proper baiting and punishing.

Sorry :ultridley:and :ultroy:, I will pocket these guys though!

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
:ultolimar: Was my main in Brawl, my first Smash game. Have slightly put him to the side for now as I need to get better at the whole micromanagement business but I fully intend to use him more later.
:ultrob: My main in Smash 4 and probably my best character overall. I'm currently working on him the most right now, though there are some bad habits from 4 I need to cut out.
:ultpiranha: Every Smash game I like to have a new main, and it's gonna be Piranha Plant for Ultimate. Not only do they look really fun, but their ranged attacks suit my playstyle.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
:ultfox: - Fox is my favourite Nintendo protagonist, from one of my favourite series. Design wise, I love his stoicism and confidence., his sense of humour and moral values are very endearing to me. He's gone through a lot and grown throughout his games. It's go time!

:ultfalco::ultwolf: - I play the other spacies to rep Star Fox. I enjoy both of them, Wolf a little bit more but I was pretty stoked to have him back.

:ultolimar: - Pikmin is love. I enjoy his micro management.

:ultness: - Earthbound is one of my favourite games ever. Could never quite figure out Lucas' playstyle but I still play him occasionally.

:ultincineroar: - So much personality. Honestly a delight to play and super satisfying.

:ultduckhunt: - Love his playstyle and how cognitive he is. Also love dogs. Win win.

:ultrobin: - Absolutely awesome character design in Smash. I liked Awakening, and am happy to have a mage in Smash finally.

:ultpiranha: - Stoked for his release. I'm a botanist so playing a potted plant is simply obligatory.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
1.:ultkrool:- Crocodiles are my favorite animals.
2.:ultbowser:- Reptiles are awesome!
3.:ultridley:- You know why at this point.

Honorable Mention: :ultyoshi:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:ultwario: Used him since Brawl and I love both Wario Land and WarioWare. Will always be my true main.
:ultdoc: Favorite character in Melee and my second favorite in SSB4. His new buffs secure his spot as my favorite character after Wario.
:ultisabelle: My most hyped newcomer. Currently trying to get better with her but she's very fun to use.
:ultchrom: Never really used that many FE characters in Smash but Chrom is just so fun to use.
:ultyounglink: Second favorite character in Melee and the one I mainly played as when I was little. I'll probably never master him but he's just a blast to use.

Other characters I like to use: :ultlucas::ultluigi::ultganondorf:

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
1. :ultkrool:Wanted him to be in Smash for a long time. I've always loved his goofy but also serious personality. I'm extremely thankful that Sakurai put him in (thanks to the ballot). I basically love everything about him!
2. :ultmewtwo: My main in Melee and Smash Wii U. Pokémon the First Movie was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and that still holds true to this day.
3. :ultyoshi: From the same year as me (1990). Also one of my favorite characters from the Mario franchise of video games.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Currently I'm going with :ultpikachu: and dropping :ultmario: as main status.

1. :ultpikachu:, Pikachu just feels fun. I like his quick and nimble nature, it's satisfying pulling combos off with him, he can be defensive if I choose to go down that route in a match, lots of his moves are good and has plenty of kill options even though killing early isn't his strength.

2. :ultdoc:, He's completely different from Pikachu. I like Doc, he definitely packs a punch and kills early. Fair is great and his new stomp is a great asset to him. His pills seem to bre greatly buffed and can do some knock back. He doesn't have much of a combo game, but if my Pikachu quick playstyle isn't working out, playing Doc with a different mindset might do the trick. His speed is definitely lacking however.

3. :ultmario:, at this point I'm not going to touch him much. He's here because he is more of what's in my pocket as I played so much with him in this and previous games. He has good mobility but I already have Pikachu for that, combo game is pretty good as uairs to up b is pretty great to pull off, his grab range does feel nerfed from last game and grabs in general seem nerf as they are harder to punish with really. I should say Pikachu's grab range can be pretty bad too. Overall he's similar to my new Pikachu but I feel I can do things better with Pikachu instead so using him now doesn't really make much sense.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Update of my tentative, pre-release lineup, since we've now had a decent amount of time to get used to the game's mechanics and begin to start developing our playstyles and which characters we prefer. Though I'm still not 100% settled on my full rotation since there's a lot of characters I anticipated that I'd be using who I've still barely touched and there may be a few other surprise picks that might find there way into my rotation.

:ultlink:-Still number 1, love his new playstyle and he is still consistently my best character. His bomb tech is difficult to master but well worth the time.

:ultpalutena:-A bit of a surprise favourite, She's really fun and her buffs make her a bit of a formidable force. Love her side B, her aerials are super good, she's got some really good movement, having a counter and a reflector in one move makes her a lot more versetile and she's got a fair amount of killing options.

:ultdarksamus::ultsamus:-Been using Dark Samus a lot and have been getting decent results with her as well, she was my second most wanted fighter overall and I'm glad that she's here. Samus while techincally a different fighter plays pretty much the same as Dark Samus and my results are more or less the same as well. I've just been using Dark Samus a lot more because of newcomer bias mainly. But the character style has actually clicked rather well with me regardless who I use.

:ultridley:-Despite people not rating him that highly, he's been doing fairly well for me. His side B is basically a better version of Ganon's side B side he can act out of it and he gains almost guaranteed stage control with it. Also stage spike shenanigans :p And while it may not be easy to land, connecting that down B is super satisfying for getting some easy damage!

Honourable mentions: :ultzss::ultlucina::ultroy::ultincineroar:

R O F L

Smash Ace
:ultolimar: - I really like Olimar, I find him quite fun to play with the different Pikmin types thing. I also consider myself good with the micromanagement of his Pikmin. However, I do tend to suck at his neutral... That's something that needs practice. Olimar is a very underrated character in terms of how fun he is to play, I recommend that you try playing him a bit sometime.

:ultdoc: - He got me by surprise, I had no idea I would like him so much in this game. The seemingly buffed his K.O power and speed and I'm loving it. Landing Fair near ledge and killing at 70% is so good.

:ultkirby: - Kirby has been one of my favorites ever since I started playing. I just love his moves for some reason. He's trash in this game though, I'm silently hoping for buffs.

:ultmetaknight: - Meta Knight has been my favorite character ever since I started playing Smash. However, I sadly like him less in Ultimate than I did in Brawl (duh) and Smash 4. But I mostly like how the character plays. I oddly love his DownB, I use it to recover, get out of advantage, kill, mixups in neutral, etc. It never seemed bad, but I never see anyone use it other than myself.

:ultridley: - My favorite newcomer. I love his huge airs and landing down air feels great especially since i'm good at landing it. Nothing else to say, really.

:ultmiifighters: - Another character who caught me by surprise, especially since my first impressions were bad. After playing this character a lot I've gotten to liking them a lot. Their airs are easy to land and their mobility is Yoshi tier, being able to move all over the stage at a good speed feels so good and rather weird because I hate playing Yoshi.

Other characters I'm liking are:ultcloud: :ultjigglypuff::ultlittlemac::ultdk::ultsnake::ultmarth::ultivysaur:.

And characters I'm NOT liking: :ultyoshi::ultlucario::ultzelda::ultbayonetta::ultike::ultrosalina:. (In terms of how much I enjoy playing them and how good I am with them, not how much I dislike fighting them, Yoshi and Ike would be at the top of that.)

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
:ultpichu: - My solo main. Unless Plusle and Minum come to Ultimate, I won't waver from Pichu.

ThaPhantom07

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaPhantom07
So usually in each Smash I play a large chunk of the roster and never really commit but with this game I decided to commit to 5 characters. I have selected 4 and still deciding on a 5th. I chose:

:ultpeach: - I have been playing Peach since Brawl and have enjoyed that her play style is multi faceted and has a lot of options. This reasoning is also why I am not that good with her as I need to practice a lot more of her different options but I have always liked the depth she has had. I really miss glide tossing turnips though.

:ultsonic: - This is a fan pic. I have been playing Sonic since I was about 4 years old and I have always had a soft spot for the character even when his games have been trash. I feel like he is kind of mediocre in this game but as a fan I will play him regardless.

:ultsnake: - Snake has an awesome bag of tricks and I love zoning and spacing with the explosives and back in Brawl my play group used to meme him all the time because he was so absurdly powerful so half memories and half play style but I love playing as him.

:ultkingdedede: - This one surprised me. I played a lot of D3 in Brawl because his chain grab was nuts but then they nerfed the hell out of him in 4 so I dropped him. I accidentally picked him once goofing off in Ultimate and won in deciding fashion and just goofing off with him online has given me my highest GSP of 3.5 million so I have decided maybe this is one of those characters that picks you and I have decided to roll with it and I have been practicing with him. Not to mention he has great taunts and the lying down animation. He is just pure fun.

I haven't decided on a 5th yet but I am looking at :ultfox:, :ultmewtwo:, :ultness:, and :ultpalutena:. Mewtwo was another I have been doing decent with, Fox is a character I have played since Melee but just doesn't feel right to me in this game, Ness is always a lot of fun for me, and Palutena is waifu status. She is pretty good too. Most likely going with Mewtwo but it could be any of those. The rest will be for funsies if anything. :ultlucario: is also one I like aesthetically so he may get some time as well.

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
#1: :ultpalutena: I really enjoy how she plays. I've never actually played Kid Icarius: Uprising (Is that right?) and I hate the original game but something about Palutena is perfect for me. I think its the mix of Air combat and spells.

#2: :ultisabelle: Isabelle's reveal trailer sold me on her. I find her incredibly hard to use but I'm getting better. I just really like her design. I actually never played an Animal Crossing in which she appears. lol

#3: :ultwiifittrainer: Started out as a "no one uses Wii Fit Trainer so I will" and I grew to love her style in Sma4h. Just a great character for me. I hate Wii Fit though.

#4: :ultdaisy: I mained Peach in Melee but dropped her in Brawl for ZSS and Mained Palutena/WFT in Sma4h. I've also wanted Daisy to be in Smash and she is my go to character in ALL Mario spin off games.

#5: :ultpichu: My second in Melee. So happy they are back. Feels great and its funny getting insta-killed in two hits every stock but still somehow pulling out a win.

#6: :ultlucina: Lucina is just great. I love her character and I've always enjoyed Marth. My go to if I am having some issues with a Spirit or opponent. SUPER easy to use and fun.

Last edited:

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
#1 :ultmario: : I picked him up mainly to learn the game and ended up having a lot of fun with him. He has a lot of tools and the fact that approaching opponent is not so easy with him, it taught me a lot about placing myself properly to get punishes.

#2 :ultrob: : Honestly, haven't really put a lot of time in this one yet but he looks fun to play.

SoaPuffball

Smash Cadet
i cycle my mains around so this may not be the complete picture, but these are my current “mains” in playing singleplayer

:ultkirby:: DIANCIE SPAM. *ahem* i mostly used kirby to beat WoL mostly using stone

:ultinkling:: just so fun to use with the ink, hard to use tho so i’m still learning

:ultrobinf:: 8 PLAYER SMASH THORON. nuff said

:ultpokemontrainerf::ultcharizard:: i feel like he is fun to play although he is slow, mostly i just use regular attacks tho

:ultcorrinf:: fates representation

:ultsimon:: projectiles and holy water, occasionally whips, decent mid range fighter for me

Others (alts/pockets/honorable mentions): :ultcloud::ultisabelle::ultmario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultivysaur::ultridley::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ulttoonlink:

i mostly play for fun offline so idc about what you say that i have too many main characters. maybe i could also give a shot at ocasionally using random again

BigZ_Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zavster
Main 1: :ultganondorf: I never saw this coming at the beginning of my search for a main, but I love how Ganondorf was reworked for Ultimate, His sword makes for amazing kill-confirms, and getting kills with him is so satisfying.

Main 2::ultcloud: Cloud was one of my favorite characters in Smash 4, despite his limit being nerfed to **** in Ultimate, I still find playing him extremely fun due to the reach of his attacks, and the satisfaction of juggling opponents with up-airs.

Main 3::ultsnake: I'm not even that great with Snake, but I'm quickly learning how to play him. While he isn't as good as he was in brawl, he is still pretty fun to play.

Top Bottom