• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your counterpicks?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
From my experience, overall Mario doesn't have a really bad time on any particular stage. However, because of that, I'm not sure if I have a natural counterpick that gives an advantage such as Falco/Japes or Meta Knight/just about any stage. That lead me to personally work on my own personal preference counterpicks. I understand that some characters are better on certain stages than us, so I usually try to plan for it when I'm in certain matchups, but I guess the point of this thread is to see what type of stages we counterpick and why.

My hope is that as we get an idea of why we pick certain stages to counterpick, other Mario mains (and I guess we, ourselves) might further develop our games and investigate into some other stages.

Personally, I've been working on a couple of counterpicks that I feel drastically can buff my playstyle and really hurts certain characters I have problems with:

Rainbow Cruise: Very mobile, helps me kill and rack up damage pretty quickly. I like to play up tempo and hit-and-run here, high part of the stage helps me kill with my smashes.
Norfair: Recovery, Recovery, Recovery. Also play hit and run and a pestering game here. I feel like I can get some good gimps here when the lava is low.
Delfino Plaza: Kind of a personal preference, I guess. Nothing in particular here.

Someone kind of said it better than me in this thread.

SKidd

Smash Master
hmm
I chose stages where my opponent suck at.
On some counterpicks, Mario can ftilt someone when they're beside a wall once or twice and they'll fall (not trip, fall) and you can jab lock them. This works weird on Orpheon.
Norfair for me = platform mindgames. I hate the stage though, I'd never cp it.
Rainbow Cruise = Good for heavies and lights, heavies are slow and will be behind on this stage, lights can get gimped with smashes/grabs on the high part.
Delfino Plaza: Variety stage, be careful here. There are good parts for you and your opponent, and bad parts.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I just choose Delfino a lot because I like to trap people in the water in between the pillars and ricochet fireballs between the walls so they can't get out. Pew pew pew.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
battlefield, always battlefield, its made for cape platform camping, cape dashing, and everything, ITS MADE FOR EVERYTHING FOR MARIO at least imo lol

rc, because vinneh is undefeated there in tourney, hes training me there (<3 if ur reading this)

brinstar, cuz mks like to shark there, im trying to figure out how to beat it (lolmk) mks upair > marios fair =[

greens greens because im a natural thurrr.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
Brinstar. Brinstar. & Brinstar.
it works with my aerial aggro playstyle. capes off the lava, spikes into the lava, plus the lava saving you from SD is great since we have a poor recovery. Side Smash kills here well, and exploit the egg-like things in the center of the stage as well as the pillars to extend Hit-Boxes and their durations.
If all pillars are broken off, u can ACE to each platform easily making your maneuverability higher than normal. your D-air can kill as well and even your Up-B(LOL).
If you break the egg center, you have a wall jump on the left segment which is great for aerial spamming.
This also leads to making camping easier for you and harder on other characters like ROB and Falco.
Snake and Metnite I wouldn't take here.

If they ban Brinstar I'd go Delfino or Battlefield.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Brinstar. Brinstar. & Brinstar.
it works with my aerial aggro playstyle. capes off the lava, spikes into the lava, plus the lava saving you from SD is great since we have a poor recovery. Side Smash kills here well, and exploit the egg-like things in the center of the stage as well as the pillars to extend Hit-Boxes and their durations.
If all pillars are broken off, u can ACE to each platform easily making your maneuverability higher than normal. your D-air can kill as well and even your Up-B(LOL).
If you break the egg center, you have a wall jump on the left segment which is great for aerial spamming.
This also leads to making camping easier for you and harder on other characters like ROB and Falco.
Snake and Metnite I wouldn't take here.

If they ban Brinstar I'd go Delfino or Battlefield.
I wouldnt take G&W to brinstar either. I already have problems with G&W, I dont need a board that lets him have the advantage more then what he already has

Matt07

Smash Master
I usually counterpick Battlefield. I kinda dislike Final Destination (except versus Metaknight, and that's it.) I don't really pick Rainbow Cruise too often now, but I still think it's a really good stage for Mario, I dunno I kinda like counterpicking neutrals more often (except Yoshi's :p.)

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
NORRRRRRFAAAAAAAAIR!!!!!!!1111

platform drop >> up-airs and ACEing all over the place is TOOOOOO FUN!!
Fairing people into the lava is too epic and cuz of how the platforms are placed I can do like x30 offstage bairs

Calebyte

Smash Lord
MK dominates platforms, so FD is the best place to take him. He can't platform camp, and fireballs force an approach.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I like Lylat simply because of personal preference.

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
Battle Field for that Platform control and when I need to be aggro. FD for camping and ****ers like MK and Snake. Smashville cus it's nuetral in almost any match up. Brinstar cus I can get Usmash kills pretty easily and dat chance to get a cape **** from dat acid.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
You sound like you'd get stage ***** by MK because those stages are some of MK's best stages. Anyways I have CPs stages that I like with Mario:

Yoshi's - Not many characters are amazing on this stage and Mario is pretty good here. For some reason I just feel like other characters don't do that well here. I never feel like the stage is working against me here unless the ghost saves my opponent lol.

Brinstar - Mario does well on Brinstar while some other good characters don't do as well or do bad. Its irregular floor messes up ground/grab games and I prefer being in the air. I wouldn't go here vs. MK, Wario, or GW though because they do extremely well here. But if a character like Falco, ICs, or Diddy didn't ban this I'd go here immediately.

BF - There are platforms. I like using platforms.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
My favorite stage is probably Smashville or Delfino Plaza cuz of the scenery and colors and spiking people into the water.

I HATE LYLAT CRUISE, I RATHER FORFIET!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Glad to see I'm not the only one who loves BF...

That being said, while Mario has very few bad stages IMO, he has no stellar ones (other than maybe BF IMO), and it makes me sad. Too used to Kirby having janky exploits on almost every stage.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah, I agree. Mario's got no stages that he does bad on, but other may just out perform him there.

I like BF too, platform pressure is really good for Mario.

BSP

Smash Legend
I wouldn't take anyone to japes, but Mario can fare well there.

Where would you guys take snake, assuming that he bans brinstar?

SKidd

Smash Master
^ya

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wait... why would Snake ban Brinstar, and why would you ever want to take him there?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Because man, you just let the lava get him to near the top blast zone, wait for the airdodge, and kill with Up-B. Getting Up-B kills is how you become a man.

Reducas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
reducas
my cp against mk is FD my cp against snake is Castle seige idk y and my cp against didy is BF and my cp against gnw is Yl

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
For some reason I go to SV more then say, BF. Even though its considered one of Mario's best stages. I don't know, I feel pretty good there for some reason. But its probably because im not really that good at using platforms :/

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
For some reason I go to SV more then say, BF. Even though its considered one of Mario's best stages. I don't know, I feel pretty good there for some reason. But its probably because im not really that good at using platforms :/
Probably cuz you like FD, but hate getting gimped by the lips

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pierce has been saying for a long time that Brinstar is amazing for Mario, and I think I have to agree with him that it's an EXCELLENT Mario stage.

Besides wrecking Falco and being pretty awesome against the Ice Climbers, the thing that I observe is that Mario has a much easier time scoring a KO on this stage. The small blastzones favor Mario a lot, opening up more options that he can use to kill at high percents, and the terrain goes well with his fireballs and aerial control game. The only time I wouldn't pick this stage is basically against Metaknight...who is just extra gay on every counterpick stage.

I also like Halberd a lot where scoring a vertical KO is also easier. The layout of that stage is also VERY good for fireball camping. If someone is on one side of the stage, and you're in the middle, you can throw your fireballs at the incline and make a very annoying wall that is hard for your opponent to approach past.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Pierce has been saying for a long time that Brinstar is amazing for Mario, and I think I have to agree with him that it's an EXCELLENT Mario stage.

Besides wrecking Falco and being pretty awesome against the Ice Climbers, the thing that I observe is that Mario has a much easier time scoring a KO on this stage. The small blastzones favor Mario a lot, opening up more options that he can use to kill at high percents, and the terrain goes well with his fireballs and aerial control game. The only time I wouldn't pick this stage is basically against Metaknight...who is just extra gay on every counterpick stage.

I also like Halberd a lot where scoring a vertical KO is also easier. The layout of that stage is also VERY good for fireball camping. If someone is on one side of the stage, and you're in the middle, you can throw your fireballs at the incline and make a very annoying wall that is hard for your opponent to approach past.
Twenty times this.

Unless you're playing a Lucas or Jiggs.

Top Bottom