• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Biggest Weakness?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
I figure this do us all some good.

The entire purpose of the thread is to re-examine ourselves a little and to come up with solutions for each others weaknesses.

Also because Pound is coming up a lot of us are actually gonna have the rare opportunity of having 3-4 days to play with each other. For the most part we're staying in the same hotel so we can definitely smash a lot and ofc I use MK, Snake, Falco, Fox, Wario, Marth pretty well or decently and I'm sure you Peaches have good seconds if people need MU related help.

So yeah, don't be shy, what are your biggest weaknesses and what have you tried to fix it, what is it about your play or the game that makes it a weakness, etc.

I'll start by saying that I'm kind of at a loss as to how to deal with the counterpick system because there's a ton of MK around. I can probably think things through and use my CPs much more effectively and be smarter about my bans. Also I probably need to work out strategies on counterpick stages. I play on anything in friendlies but I think I really do need to come up with legit stage strategies when I have to fight on Brinstar or RC vs characters that do better than Peach there. Also I should take in account how slants and uneven ground change my options EX: Groundfloat bair oos can work on yoshi's but I have to float a little higher which changes the option by making it a liiiiittle slower. Another example would be if a character is standing in the center on the 2nd transformation of Frigate, swinging an aerial like fair or bair will be much harder to hit with because their hitbox is a lot lower to the ground so I have to figure out different ways to work around those limitations. **** like that. I gotta get creative.

Hmm...also there's some MUs that I just don't have a hang of such as Marth or TL b/c there's hardly any of them in SoCal. I'm pretty good vs metaknight so I know I can handle any MU but it's hard to come up with creative solutions to bull**** other characters have when I don't get that MU practice and ofc if it's a TL that runs around all day long you have no choice but to be creative, he's too fast, too much **** is flying around. Kinda the same with Wolf too so yeah.

So for me I guess it boils down to creativity most of all even though I know for sure that my Peach does some creative *** **** haha.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I have had this problem since Melee and it's followed me to Brawl.

I get grabbed to easy
And I don't land grabs often enough.

That's a definite glaring weakness in my game.

Gameswithgoodies

Smash Ace
patience and DDD those are my two main problems that i can think of off the top of my head.
edit: looking at meno's post i realize i suck at ledges

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm bad. D:

But more specifically, I suck hard long heavily STD infested **** on the ledge. I'm aware of it now. But I would and have always jumped. Needs more get-up jab. And I'm practicing that invinci-land, though I never know when I'm doing it right.

Need to grab more. Needs less shield.

Match-up crap.

And the inevitable collapse into predictability when pressured.

Also: rolling. I think I'm gonna remove the shield button while practicing, like I did to Toad. That worked out brilliantly.

Nicole

Smash Champion
my greatest weakness is my mental weakness and rage
and that's my only weakness
(besides falco...**** that guy)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
^ Ditto on the rage issues, although I've gotten much better over time. I only rage at stupid **** like tripping into something now. Otherwise I'll still cuss like a sailor/talk **** during a match or be totally silent, it's 50/50 usually. If I flip my hood up to drown out my peripheral vision...just think of it as Ash turning his hat backwards, you know **** is about to go down lol.

Hmm what else...just general things that most mid-highish level players suffer from on occasion: mental fatigue, sometimes losing a bit of composure on last stock (although there are times when it's the complete opposite and I rally back hard), being either super consistent or making silly choices, etc. Other than that I think I'm doing pretty well so far. :)

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
My weakness is being new to MUs.

Whenever I'm new to almost ANY MU, I completely fail at playing it. However, if I play someone extremely skilled with that certain character, I'll remember the MU forever.

Learning them can take a while for me deppending on how rarely a character is used. I'll overcome it soon with more tourney experience.

:peach:

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
@lance: what do you do that gets you grabbed?

@demi-peach: why are you impatient? what do you try to approach with? what approaches get punished, etc.?

@meno: that's a lot haha. at the ledge, you shud buffer your ledge options. like when you ledgehop you can just buffer airdodge or an attack or when someone attacks while you're on the ledge you can react to it by ledgehopping so the invincibility will eat the move. hmm...and well generally play gayer on there and plank, uair, regrab, etc. oh and rolling isn't so bad and as for predictability idk, you feel less pressure when you actually know what to do so think **** through, get specific haha.

@nicole: you're female it's a lost cause, anything else? :p

but rly though, anger is fine, frustration is fine, but I feel like those only come about when ya don't know what else you can do in-game and that letting the rage take control of you is really just giving up because you can choose to restrain yourself and that giving in to rage is just a way to get it over with quicker. after a match though, a little rage is fine haha but til it's all said and done ya gotta keep it together. at least that's how I see it.

jk jk, maybe but like what is it about Falco that's hard for you? I have a decent Falco and I play Larry like once a week so maybe I can help ya out.

@KB: then keep it together, think about ******* or somethin'.

@PG: yah idk, you just need to play a lot haha.

@FWK: what's so hard about doing something different? idk, i know what you mean but then i kinda don't. wanna get specific about difficult situations or somethin'?

edit: Really though, ya'll should all contribute and help each other. ;O

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I think my biggest weakness is I can play extremely well or extremely bad.

I'm really good at catching my opponents off guard, but after I play the same person over and over and over again they eventually catch on to stuff and sometimes it takes me a while to adjust and find new things to do that they won't suspect.

Sometimes I find myself throwing out moves that have too much lag and get me killed, but other times I can survive to insane amounts I just have to commit to doing so before I get killed and think about what specific move I'm throwing out during the match when I am in danger of dying.

I also have had a pretty big ego when it comes to playing this game, which is definitely something I'm trying to totally trash as a whole - to progress, and even if I do - it may take some convincing towards certain people.

I won't lose the drive though - I'm pretty sure you all know that.

And I definitely won't stop working towards being - the best Peach.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
"I'm really good at catching my opponents off guard, but after I play the same person over and over and over again they eventually catch on to stuff and sometimes it takes me a while to adjust and find new things to do that they won't suspect."

this is prob why you might think my secondaries are better than they are coz i play peach and almost instantly know what you'd wanna do haha. all i can say is trial and error, just think of better options or different options and solutions to **** than you're currently using, even if it seems like the most basic punish try other ones or think about them. maybe you'll find something **** or something dumb that is situational but will be handy for when the situation comes up. gotta expand those gimmicks, strats, and general bag of tricks lol.

z00ted

yeah, exactly.

i'm definitely working on it.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Sorry, Illmatic.

I'm gonna be the best Peach. <3

Or we can be the best Peaches...

Or something..

z00ted

two cannot hold that title.

i'm going to be the pirate king, *****.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
@FWK: what's so hard about doing something different? idk, i know what you mean but then i kinda don't. wanna get specific about difficult situations or somethin'?
I try to re-main "unpredictable" even it means using sub-standard options a lot.

and then sometimes I'll actually use the best option and it'll be surprising.

so like everything about me, my decision-making is extremely inconsistent.

I also don't grab a lot because I like to keep up shield pressure with peach, which may or may not be a bad thing.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I also don't grab a lot because I like to keep up shield pressure with peach, which may or may not be a bad thing.
Depending on the MU it's really good or really bad.

In the Falco MU, I recommend Peaches go for more grabs, as opposed to the DDD MU, you'd go for more shield pressure options due to the vast difference in shield size.

When it comes to the Metaknight MU, it's better to go for grabs, rather than shield pressure, because Metaknight has scary counter options to your shield pressure. He's probably one of the few exceptions to damage/ shield pressure game.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I'm terrible implementing powershielding. In melee it was pretty much impossible to consistently powershield anything other than projectiles, so I never try to. And when I do powershield, I dont follow up on it.

Also, shield is so slow when running/walking in brawl.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I think my biggest weakness is I can play extremely well or extremely bad.

I'm really good at catching my opponents off guard, but after I play the same person over and over and over again they eventually catch on to stuff and sometimes it takes me a while to adjust and find new things to do that they won't suspect.

Sometimes I find myself throwing out moves that have too much lag and get me killed, but other times I can survive to insane amounts I just have to commit to doing so before I get killed and think about what specific move I'm throwing out during the match when I am in danger of dying.

I also have had a pretty big ego when it comes to playing this game, which is definitely something I'm trying to totally trash as a whole - to progress, and even if I do - it may take some convincing towards certain people.

I won't lose the drive though - I'm pretty sure you all know that.

And I definitely won't stop working towards being - the best Peach.
That's a problem/opportunity that a lot of very good players in FL have to deal with because of Seibril<, Rel) Halberd, etc. They're both very good at memorizing people's habits, so players either do well on Game 1 and then flounder the remainder of the time, or they learn to be very good at mixing-up. Getting over that hill generally means that you're a high-level player.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
hmm that's a good point xdeath haha.

I think another one of my weaknesses that I've had for a very long time was my ability to read people. I sucked at it and just kinda did my own thing but I've made a conscious effort this past year to get better at it. Idk about now though but I think I got waaaay better at it. But idk, I can still get better at it.

For now though I think I mainly use mix-ups and my reaction time to pull out wins though but my literacy is gettin' there haha.

Oh! and I guess one of my biggest strengths and weaknesses is tech skill. I have good control of Peach and a lot of her gimmicks and ATs like bonewalking, uair strings, etc. but it takes me a lot time to really implement stuff I wanna implement such as freepull, bair lock, etc. I really wanted free pull down by pound but I just have to throw that away for that tourney and use what I really know. I'm pretty glad that bair lock is actually nowhere near as hard as I thought it was. I used a bair reset in a friendly recently and then it lead into a uair string haha. So yeah, as long as I can get the sourspot reset I think I'm good but yeaaaah, I have difficulty picking out when my tech skill is tourney ready.

Nicole

Smash Champion
@raz
what i dont like about falco is that i feel like he was made to beat peach. she is too slow and she cant approach him. you approach on the ground, he can ftilt, jab, sh dair you. you approach him in the air he lasers. if you somehow get near him, he shields. you're in the air, he shileds, he nairs OOS or utilts OOS. you're near him on the ground, his jab clanks with yours and his grab range is better. his aerials have just as much priority as peach and with his laser to bdacus setups he can actually kill her far earlier than she can kill him. yeah she can gimp him (as can everyone) but it isn't a walk in the park and it isn't THAT easy...

on a personal level, lasers kinda interrupt my flow. it's like watching a video on youtube that keeps buffering every 15 seconds. yeah you can still watch it but it's so goddamn annoying that you get so much less enjoyment out of it than you usually would. that's why i hate campy characters lol.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
because snivy is ****.

I still can't freepull

:(

I think I also prioritize pulling turnips way too much.

whether I'm turnip farming running away-ishly or offensively.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
@raz
what i dont like about falco is that i feel like he was made to beat peach. she is too slow and she cant approach him. you approach on the ground, he can ftilt, jab, sh dair you. you approach him in the air he lasers. if you somehow get near him, he shields. you're in the air, he shileds, he nairs OOS or utilts OOS. you're near him on the ground, his jab clanks with yours and his grab range is better. his aerials have just as much priority as peach and with his laser to bdacus setups he can actually kill her far earlier than she can kill him. yeah she can gimp him (as can everyone) but it isn't a walk in the park and it isn't THAT easy...

on a personal level, lasers kinda interrupt my flow. it's like watching a video on youtube that keeps buffering every 15 seconds. yeah you can still watch it but it's so goddamn annoying that you get so much less enjoyment out of it than you usually would. that's why i hate campy characters lol.
The thing is that on the ground all ya gotta do is powershield. Just be patient lol. And like about his jabs and tilts n stuff our ftilt and dtilt outright beat his stuff (clanks w/ his ftilt I think). So yeah, ftilt is pretty beast vs falco. If spinny jab is out we can just tilt or go above it or ground float nair it. His ftilt is pretty gay and you can only really punish it if you powershield but idk, just go over it haha. Anyway once you hit him just with anything then you can go into the air if you want. But yeah, Peach's ground game is just fine vs falco. If you do manage to be in the air vs Falco then idk, just airdodge when he jumps to laser or land real quick or somethin' and when you dair just account for his roll (first 2 or 3 hits near him then retreat) or zone with fair or drop down to dash atk. Idk, that MU is like 55:45 Falco imo, it's not too bad, just figure out what works.

Flamewavek: Ya you use waaay too much turnips and I don't feel you use them properly. If we ever get to play I can show ya what's up. ;O

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
D-tilt creeps under his spin jab too I believe. I've typically used it either when I'm already away from the jab or immediately after I DI out of it. If he ends his jab early and tries to punish you, use the sliding momentum from the d-tilt to do a retreating jab, ftilt, fsmash, grab, fair, nair, whatever serves you best at that moment.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Falco and Peach have an equal amount of grab range.

Just saying~
Alright so...if you decide to go for a grab off of the d-tilt and he goes for a grab as well, worst case scenario: you get grabbed. I'd much rather take a bit of grab damage off of a bad guess over the other abusable options he has in the matchup. :3

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
My biggest weakness is choosing NOT to main/second a high tier character.

Next up would probably be MK and his out of shield options.

Next up would probably be that I don't play this game as much as I used to back in 2008/2009. So my playstyle is kinda "stuck" in those years.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I don't think it's a weakness that you haven't chosen to main/secondary a higher tier character.

Peach has loads of potential and she fits my playstyle perfectly. I play her exclusively in both Melee and Brawl. I play her because I love her, not because of what tier she is in.

Tiers are for queers. lulz

Top Bottom