• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You can add one non-videogame character to Smash. Who?

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
In real life, this will never happen. This is just for fun.

You're Masahiro Sakurai, and you have a secret you never told the fans: Sora isn't the last fighter. Your idea for the true final challenger is the first ever non-videogame character in Smash history. Such an inclusion would change not only Ultimate, but the identity of the sequel and the series as a whole. Smash would be changed forever! The next Smash game's motto, in your head, is "Anyone is here!" This DLC fighter is the beginning of Smash's future, as well as a small teaser of Smash Bros. 6. Of course, the character must be the protagonist from wherever they come from (it's like an unspoken rule).

HAVE FUN!

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since Godzilla, Gamera and King Kong are definitely the definitions of "Too big". I'll have to go with my boi Daggett.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
I have three ideas in mind, two fairly common picks for things like these and one that is more out there; SpongeBob, Goku, and Popeye.
  • SpongeBob is perhaps one of the most popular "family-friendly" characters out there, fits in thematically with a lot of the Smash cast, and I think he has a lot of moveset potential. Sure, we have Nick All-Star Brawl nowadays, but SpongeBob is still my "go to" pick for a fourth-party Smash rep.
  • Dragon Ball, and Goku by extension, is HUGE in Japanese culture as well as the West, so Goku would be the best out of the three I picked to satisfy both sides of the equator. It doesn't hurt that he has a lot of moveset potential and is one of the most meme'd about "joke requests" in Smash history, the latter boosting his hype factor by an insane degree.
  • Popeye is a pick I chose not because of his relevancy or potential, but rather his history. Way back when, Nintendo wanted to make a game about Popeye, but were shot down. This prompted them to create Donkey Kong instead, which was their first major hit and set them on the path to become the gaming juggernaut they are today. In a sense, Popeye is somewhat reponsible for making Nintendo what it is now, so having Popeye be the first fourth-party rep would be the most ironic thing ever, but also pretty cool for those who follow the company's history.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I've seen people say that among all non-gaming characters that James Bond is one of the most "deserving" because he was considered for SSBM for a lil bit.

That doesn't make much sense to me but I'll just agree because James Bond would be freakin sick to play as

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Lincoln from Loud House.

It would be pretty funny to see a normal human child with no powers, just a normal ordinary kid.
(His moveset could be a mix between his one from Nick All Star Brawl with some attacks replaced by new ones alongside a side special.)

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Spider-Man. He is my favorite superhero and could have a unique brawler moveset revolving around kicks and webs. Less so punches as Spider-Man is a more acrobatic character like Sheik, so punches won’t really look good unless they are Smash attacks.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Since Sora made it in Smash, imma go with Mickey Mouse. Probably the only one who would make sense at this point.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Captain N: The Game Master
Captain_N_The_Game_Master_by_D_MAC.png

While he's not from a videogame himself, his whole cartoon is that he is a guy that was pulled into the videogame universe to fight Mother Brain her army of villains with the help of other game heroes such as Megaman, Simon Belmont, and Link.

Plus liceansing isn't an issue since Nintendo already owns the character.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Assuming I had the freedom, I'd add Donald and Goofy to Sora's Spirit Board as a single Spirit.
And here it is!
Donald_Duck_(KHIIFM)_KHIIHD.png 400px-Goofy_(KHIIFM)_KHIIHD.png Donald Duck and Goofy
(Artwork: KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.5 ReMIX)

Class: ★★★
Type: Support (Shield)
Cost: ⬡⬡
Effect: Autoheal
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultduckhunt: (Color 2)
    • Minion: :ultsora: (default)
  • Stage: Hollow Bastion
  • Music Track: Hand in Hand
  • Match: Stock (1)
  • Conditions:
    • The enemy's special moves have increased power
    • The enemy shields often
    • The enemy heals over time

Geno Boost

Smash Master
For me it’s between Goku and Mickey Mouse we already have Akira toryiama and Disney characters in smash so taking one step to get Goku and Mickey wouldn’t seems out of place and it would be a historical moment to see them meet Mario.

However I think Hatsune Miku as well but it’s kinda a grey area depends if it’s seen as a video game rep or something else but either way I think it’s the best pick to represent the Rythm genre due to having worldwide audience so she does have a special status in gaming history.

Last edited:

Blitzwing

Smash Cadet
There are multiple non-video game characters I add to Smash if I had the chance. The characters I chosen were picked because of their impact on video games as a whole.

• Spongebob comes to mind as one of those characters. He starred in multiple video games, well received ones. Is one of the most iconic fictional characters ever. And has actually been requested for Smash before, even if Sakurai deined him getting in.
  • Sam and Max, the Freelance Police. Most people probably wouldn't know they starred in a comic before their video game appearances. One thing Smash lacks is point and click adventure game characters, and with Sam and Max being whacky and crazy, they would fit right in.
  • Spider-Man just like SpongeBob has starred in many games of his own, and games with other Marvel heroes. Marvel Vs. Capcom does have some representation in Smash, even if it isn't very explicitly mentioned. He has tons of material to pull from for a moveset.
  • James Bond, duh.
  • Batman has similar reasoning to Spider-Man. While he wasn't in many well-received games, he starred in the Batman Arkham series and Injustice.
  • You gotta mention Goku. We all know why he'd fit.
  • A real person this time, Tony Hawk is a character deserving of being in Smash. His self-titled series is one of the most recognized names in gaming.
  • The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are very well known for their arcade 4-player beat-em ups. We don't have Smash characters who use nunchucks or staffs. (I could be forgetting someone.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Lack of explanation aside, I understand where they're coming from. Goku is known for his martial arts prowess, and it's part of the reason why he's the most asked for (non-joke) non-game character (from what I have seen both on and off this thread).
but hes not the only one that, that applies too

VreyIsGrey

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6743-6838-1490
Gonna have to say Naruto.

Not only have we seen him in a platform fighter setting before, with SSF2, but he has enough international appeal across both Japan and the West, so I feel like he'd fit nicely.

nightowlgirl

Smash Rookie

Listen, I know this is stupid and doesn't even make sense by the logic of an anime character getting into Smash... but I mean, I would like it at least.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
While I don't want non-video game characters in Smash, it'd feel kinda weird for anyone to be our first who isn't either Goku or Mickey. As for which one I'd go with, I gotta give the nod to Mickey. He's a pretty iconic character in gaming, having starred in some pretty iconic platformers during the SNES era, Epic Mikey, and of course Kingdom Hearts. Hopefully, a few of his alts would reference these.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
As much as I'd personally love either seeing Bionicle getting recognition, or being personally clowned on in Smash while I'm playing as Carol Danvers... it'd be weird for either to get in over someone more iconic like Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny or Godzilla.

Homer Simpson, just because this could be his Up B
Note: Poochie died on the way back to his home planet.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
which morbius?
The Morbius that starred in the hit film “Morbius”, which made 10038372893784683898 morbillion USD. The easiest way to recognize this Morbius is from his signature catch phrase “It’s morbin’ time” where he proceeds to morb on people.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Like other people I don't want to see any 4th party character in the game, however if I need to put one just for the sake of the bias I will put either Ryougi Shiki from Kara no Kyoukai or Akko Kagari from Little Witch Academia, in the first case because is from Type-Moon and in general in terms of characters Ryougi is my second favorite character followed by Aoko and in the case of Akko because I love Trigger and between all their catalogue Akko is the one that fits more.
And in the particular case of Ryougi, just imagine her Final Smash converting into Void, activating her Mystic Eyes and basically erasing from the existence the rival is just chef kiss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom