• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You are not "Ungrateful" for being Disappointed

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
So the final Smash Ultimate Direct just came out revealing the last fighters for the games launch. With that being said, not everyone is going to be as excited for fighters like Ken, Incineroar or Piranha Plant. Or any of the other Newcomers. And you know what? That's completely ok. If there's anything I dislike in the Smash community it's how so many individuals are quick to call others angry or ungrateful just because the express some disappointment. There is a difference between being disappointed then expressing said disappointment and starting flamewars, trolling Sakurai on Twitter or insulting those who did get their favorite fighter in. I'd say your only ungrateful if you'd outright say that the game is "bad" or "ruined" because so and so isn't playable or even ignore the other qualities.

I was one of the people who was disappointed to see Shadow as an Assist Trophy again and not an Echo for Sonic, but I don't see Smash Ultimate as bad or ruined. And there's a lot of positive qualities that I can find, that I also like, in the new Smash Direct like World of Light, the Spirits and Piranah Plant's goofy inclusion.

And I'm sure a lot of people are disappointed to see Shovel Knight, Issac and Spring Man as Assists and not playable. Or maybe being disappointed characters like Banjo, Sora, Geno and others weren't included. Or let down the Grinch Leak wasn't real. But we shouldn't see them as ungrateful because their favorite fighter didn't make it in unless they act out of rage.

With that being said: Yes Sakurai does put a lot, and I mean A LOT, of effort into Smash. I think it's also important to acknowledge the work he's put into the game. But, at the same time, you are not obligated to enjoy everything and can show distaste for certain ideas. Sakurai isn't a God and I feel as if that's one of the problems of the Smash community; Idolism. And I think Idolism is where the "ungrateful" problem routes from. Some people don't see Masahiro Sakurai as a normal guy who just so happens to makes games. They see him as something along the lines of the reincarnated Jesus Christ or some lost profit. Yes he made Kirby and Smash, 2 HUGE game franchises. But he's still a human being and should be treated as such. (Side note: Please stop calling him Daddy) Let's instead acknowledge the work he puts into his games and keep his legacy going even after he passes like we do with people like Abraham Lincoln, Micheal Jackson, Walt Disney and of course Satoru Iwata. But also treat him as an equal and not some godlike deity.

So if you see someone being vocal about their disappointment and if they're not being toxic, please don't put them in the same boat as the flame war starters or the trolls. Disappointment is completely healthy and it in itself shouldn't be seen as a toxic trait.

EDIT: 7/21/2020
Also I made this meme as a response to the Mini Direct today
Use it as you wish. Just don't harass others with it.
oopss.png

Last edited:

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree.

Its interesting that you mention that people forget that Sakurai is just a normal guy, I think that is something that people do tend to forget.
We should aim to be more modest with our expectations.
Everyones taste in things changes over time.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
I think both sides have some problems. You already mentioned both sort of. The side of people who defend Sakurai seem to forget that while he does have the power to make the game how he wants, the fans' voices matter, and to dismiss them as just a cascade of empty complaints is akin to covering your ears. At the same time, the complainers forget to let out their anger/frustration in a more productive way, though I'm not sure what method you could do it in, so at least you can give them a pass there. However, I've been seeing more and more lately that people who defend Sakurai in any way are seen as bootlickers, which is the opposite extreme and just as inane.

I personally was not a huge fan of the reveals, but only because of no Isaac or Bandanna Waddle Dee, who were the last two on my list to get in. However, one is up in the air, and Sakurai has surprised fans by going against the conditions that a character is deconfirmed (Smash 4 Mewtwo and Lucas, anyone?), so a glimmer of hope is still in me.

At the same time, while I personally am not excited about Ken, Incineroar looks hype to me (never understood the hate for him even back before Sun and Moon released) and fits super well. He looks really polished, and the stream showing some gameplay really made me think about having a good, LONG, look at him on release. :p

Piranha Plant is another beast entirely, because he isn't an echo, meaning he actually took up a slot (making me mad about no Isaac or BWD), but he also isn't one of the fighter pass DLC, so he's in this Schröndiger's void of a character, where he took up a slot, but probably not an important enough slot if that makes sense. But besides that, it looks like a hilarious fighter otherwise, and again, filled to the brim with polish and personality.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
I think both sides have some problems. You already mentioned both sort of. The side of people who defend Sakurai seem to forget that while he does have the power to make the game how he wants, the fans' voices matter, and to dismiss them as just a cascade of empty complaints is akin to covering your ears. At the same time, the complainers forget to let out their anger/frustration in a more productive way, though I'm not sure what method you could do it in, so at least you can give them a pass there. However, I've been seeing more and more lately that people who defend Sakurai in any way are seen as bootlickers, which is the opposite extreme and just as inane.
Yeah, I do kinda of feel like when it comes to Nintendo games in general we have that problem of ear covering. I think it's important to listen to fans and take in their feedback. I do feel as if he was listening a bit with the inclusion of Ridley, King K Rool, Dark Samus and Chrom, but I understand how you feel.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I agree. I don't think people who had expectations for certain characters to show up are ungrateful. With these leaks dropping left and right, however, I do find an alarming number of people gullible. Disappointment may be completely healthy, but the amount of gullibility is not. People need to be skeptical about "leaks" or rumors. Insufficient evidence isn't reliable evidence, and one error from a source should call into question the reliability of said source. People are more interested in becoming famous even for a short while, than they are revealing facts. I hope this "Grinch leak" will make people a little more skeptical, but not too much to the point of being incredulous about everything.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
I agree. I don't think people who had expectations for certain characters to show up are ungrateful. With these leaks dropping left and right, however, I do find an alarming number of people gullible. Disappointment may be completely healthy, but the amount of gullibility is not. People need to be skeptical about "leaks" or rumors. Insufficient evidence isn't reliable evidence, and one error from a source should call into question the reliability of said source. People are more interested in becoming famous even for a short while, than they are revealing facts. I hope this "Grinch leak" will make people a little more skeptical, but not too much to the point of being incredulous about everything.
To be fair, it really wasn't the mural in the leak itself that was why people believed it, it was everything else. The company involved, the employee that was the leaker fitting with it, and let's not forget why it was called the Grinch leak in the first place. I honestly thought this leak was real for a few moments, but really the ONLY thing that made me skeptical was the inclusion of Geno, because I highly doubt Geno would EVER be in the game, despite the fans' outcry. Then again, we have a Piranha Plant now, so that one problem might be overturned now lol.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
It's always good to be skeptical about these kind of leaks. Nothing is ever set in stone until the Blacksmith arrives. It has gotten a bit harder with the quantity, especially with all these Smash YouTubers jumping on every 4Chan leak just to get some quick views. If we can learn anything from both the ESRB Smash 4 leak and the Grinch Leak it's that we should be a bit more careful with how we perceive leaks.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
To be fair, it really wasn't the mural in the leak itself that was why people believed it, it was everything else. The company involved, the employee that was the leaker fitting with it, and let's not forget why it was called the Grinch leak in the first place. I honestly thought this leak was real for a few moments, but really the ONLY thing that made me skeptical was the inclusion of Geno, because I highly doubt Geno would EVER be in the game, despite the fans' outcry. Then again, we have a Piranha Plant now, so that one problem might be overturned now lol.
One thing that stood out to me was the fact that the character choice was what fans were wanting. People wanted Shadow, Isaac, Geno, Chorus Kids. It seemed suspect.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Although I've never been one to be angry or gravely disappointed with reveals (except Bayonetta, she disappointed me to a large degree because no one asked for her and K. Rool should have won...ok sorry, long tangent) I agree, I don't think it's right to call people ungrateful. People have a right to be disappointed or sad when their favorite doesn't make it in. I sure wouldn't be happy if Chrom and K. Rool were left out. In fact, I really feel bad for all the people whose dreams were shattered today, and there were a lot. That said, it won't stop me from ****posting about it all hehehehe

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, just remember, everyone. There will be five DLC characters. So who knows? Maybe certain characters who didn't show up now will make it in.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I can understand being disappointed that your favorite character didn't get into the game. With Smash bros showing us such great things one after another, it leaves you feeling a bit empty when they say "Okay. That's it. No more," when there's so much more that you do what. People tend to foreget all the great things that have already been offered just getting caught up in the "MORE MORE!" aspects.

Really though, when you stop to think, they've already showed us way more than I ever expected there to be in the game in the first place. Did anybody ever think we'd see ALL the characters back again? Then there's all the fanfavorites that were included.

Piranha Plant is another beast entirely, because he isn't an echo, meaning he actually took up a slot (making me mad about no Isaac or BWD), but he also isn't one of the fighter pass DLC, so he's in this Schröndiger's void of a character, where he took up a slot, but probably not an important enough slot if that makes sense. But besides that, it looks like a hilarious fighter otherwise, and again, filled to the brim with polish and personality.
I can't be mad at Piranha Plant. It's such an out there off the wall choice that I can't help but love it's inclusion.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
As a creator, you actually need to have balance there. Focusing too much on feedback can be a waste of time, staunch your creativity, create an environment that tries to please a hostile customer so much and make it difficult for your employees to work and express their ideas. Customer isn't always right.

However, thanks to feedback, tripping was removed, hitstun was re added, balance patches are issued, popular character requests were added. Devs need to keep this in mind, but consumers also need to understand that a game like Smash is a project for the people working on it and they will design it the way they see fit. I've seen some people saying that because they are going to pay for the game, that the dev team has to cave in to prioritize their demands above else. They expect an attitude of subservience from the developers, which is just plain wrong.

GenghisConn3

Smash Rookie
I think the problem with the new direct is that the previous one was too good to live up to, they should've swapped around the airing of the directs. Ending with Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus and King K Rool would've created a lot more hype than ending with a variation of a character we've had for three years at this point, a new Pokemon and a plant that you'll have to pay extra for if you decide to get the game later on.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I feel like we got strong newcomers overall, but they definitely could have been spaced better. I feel like K Rool should have been saved for last to end on a strong note.
Also there was no need to pad out the direct with things like the options menu.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Okay gotta be honest I was extremely disappointed in this direct and not for the characters themselves because honestly I was in the camp that thought the Grinch leak was fake, Vergaban and the box theory were correct, and I predicted that we would get a pre-loadable Smash after the direct aired, there would be no new fighters revealed in October, the direct date itself, and the big focus of the direct being Adventure/Spirits mode and online mode. Hell I even predicted the fact that trophies would not return all a month ago. That's my biggest gripe with this direct is that there was barely any surprises and a lot of it was extremely predictable and the only thing that wasn't predictable in my eyes was Piranha Plant and that was EXTREMELY underwhelming (People have the nerve to talk about Bandana Dee but I bet will be the same people talking about how awesome Piranha Plant is).

- Ken and Icineroar being the last 2 very boring and predictable due to the Vergeban leaks. Though Incineroar does look hype though and he might become one of my mains if I like his playstyle.

- Spirits mode confused the hell out of me when I first watched. At first I thought the "Spirits" deconfirmed the characters and I was like "Who the hell can they possibly add as DLC now they just massacred the entire pool of potential newcomers outside of 3rd parties" but then I rewatch I realized the mode is basically Event mode but with stickers from Brawl. Didn't look that fun to me and the portion dragged..

-Online didn't look that much improved compared to previous entries in terms of options it's definitely better but not by much but it's too be expected since Nintendo's online has always been terrible.

- Assist trophy massacre was brutal personally I wasn't a fan of any of the assist trophies shown except Spring-Man so I wasn't too disappointed for myself but I definitely feel bad for fans of Isaac, Shadow, Black Knight, and Tiki.

- The Adventure mode trailer was hype the cutscene was AMAZING but then it got to the gameplay/overworld and it didn't look that fun to me and the overworld reminds me too much of Smash Tour mixed with 3DS Classic Mode...

Overall I think they should've swapped the August direct and this one and went out with a bang instead of a whimper IMO. Still gonna buy the game day one (gonna pre-load next week when I get paid for sure).

I didn’t read the initial post. Just going to put that out there.

I agree; you aren’t ungrateful for expressing or being disappointed in what you seen this morning, but based off of the responses, and again, while you aren’t ungrateful, that is in no way an absolution of your issues.

You only care about new characters—while that isn’t inherently bad, given that there are over 40 characters returning that we have seen no gameplay of yet, the only thing many of you clamor over is what temporar excitement you can draw from something being new, or “get hype”, or whatever. Personally, I’m more exited over Dr. Mario’s new down air over many new characters, which oddly segways into my next belief

You lack attention to detail—there are a lot of things that are a huge deal for some players when enjoying the game. There are characters like Fox that I personally wouldn’t play because he voice of the character in English is unbearable, and having Marth in English still doesn’t hit the ear right. Having the option to change the language options is huge! I can enjoy the characters in different languages, and someone who likes hearing Ivysaur in Japanese, it makes a world of difference. And that’s just one thing.

You aren’t going to be playing competitively—There have been several things shown that players will be able to have set options to allow customized competitive play, and on top of that, the Nintendo Tree House exhibited game play of some of the characters, as well as stage morphs. Being able to finally see characters like Wolf, Daisy, Lucario, Pichu, Young Link, Diddy Kong, and Simon Belmont in action helped cement the competitive perspective of the game, and also gave us a good dose of gameplay that didn’t come from a demo , and that’s really cool, because they didn’t have to do that.

You aren’t going to be here for long—I’ve been on this forum for quiet some time, and come back and forth between releases to check the status or find out new information about the game, despite the forum being somewhat dated. Some of you will stay and try to improve your game, many of you will pick the character you wanted so badly, realize the play style of said character doesn’t suit you, and then you’ll never be heard from again. It’s just facts and statistics. So I suggest that some of you focus on picking characters that fit how you play than being a die-hard fan, because you never know what you’ll like.

A lot of you are only here because the idea of a new smash game is exciting, and while that’s fine, the abundance of fan-fiction induced whining and immaturity that comes with it is quiet frankly, annoying as ****, and I personally wouldn’t mind it coming to an end if it means that I can discuss the game with individuals who are interested in the root of the game rather than shock value. So if you are sad about what you seen, then ok, peace. But for those of you who want to stay and enjoy the game in the long run, stick around.

And lastly.

I wouldn’t trust any of you who are disappointed to make a video game. Period.

Yeah you aren’t ungrateful. But that isn’t the worst thing in the world to be.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think the problem with the new direct is that the previous one was too good to live up to, they should've swapped around the airing of the directs. Ending with Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus and King K Rool would've created a lot more hype than ending with a variation of a character we've had for three years at this point, a new Pokemon and a plant that you'll have to pay extra for if you decide to get the game later on.
While I've never played Pokémon Sun or Moon, since Sapphire was the last one I played, and while I didn't care about Incineroar's appearance, its inclusion is welcomed by me. It looks pretty cool, which is saying something because I didn't care about its appearance originally. I also thought Pirahna Plant's inclusion pretty funny. I'm in favor of roster reduction, as well as reducing the size of Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Zelda, and Mario characters. But Pirahna Plant's inclusion was so funny to me that I thought I'd let that slide. I actually found the inclusion of these three characters more interesting than I did Simon's, Richter's, Chrom's, and Dark Samus' debut. So for me, I don't think this new direct needed any swapping. The Spirits mode wasn't what I had hoped it might be, but I'm willing to see what awaits us all when SSBU is released.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm only disappointed because I was all in on the Grinch leak. If that hadn't been a thing, I'd have been 100% satisfied with today tbh. But I went and convinced myself that we were getting Banjo

GenghisConn3

Smash Rookie
I'm not dissing any of the characters that were revealed in the direct mind you, I'm happy that Ken's in the game since I'm a big Street Fighter fan and I welcome Incineroar since he looks unique and interesting, my problem is that it's the last direct before the game's release and it failed to hype many people (including me) in the same way that the previous one did. (Also doesn't help that a plant was revealed just after many highly requested characters got deconfirmed and the the Spirits mode was disappointing)

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
disappointment is a part of life, it's natural to be disappointed, but the way people handle their disappointment is what determines if they're ungrateful.

hating on what they do get and calling it all "a waste" is being ungrateful... and insulting fans of the things they're disappointed with is unnecessary.

but also, blaming sakurai for your disappointment is also unnecessary and pretty foolish, considering the reason behind such disappointment.

from what i've seen, a lot of people were just BEGGING for disappointment due to listening to "leaks" and false predictions, speculating and expecting a ton of other characters.

i can't even begin with how frustrated i got seeing so many youtube videos with clickbait thumbnails showing geno, banjo, and several other characters, as if they were already confirmed.

also people were going on about the grinch... goku was bad enough, but the grinch? seriously?

maybe i'm misunderstanding the grinch thing, but whatever it was really about, people clearly believed it, and that is all on them.

i avoided things the best i could, but even on COMPLETELY unrelated videos, i still stumbled across people talking about stuff... drove me nuts.

i kept my expectations low, and ONLY ever looked at official nintendo videos, which is probably why i wasn't disappointed at all.

i mean, if i had to choose something to be disappointed in... it's the fact that i'll once again miss out on a ton of content cause of the challenges section.

even that disappointment stems more from my own lack of skill... i can't possibly hope to complete the challenges, i barely completed any in previous games, no matter how hard i tried.

so my mii fighters will be pretty boring-looking, and my music collection will always be incomplete, sadly.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
It's hard, because if I'm being honest, this direct completely killed my hype for the game. Ken and Incineroar as the last two newcomers, no new stages, trophies not returning, Spirits looking to be a mess, many of my most wanted being relegated to spirits or assist tropheis, and Piranha Plant.... Oh Piranha Plant. I love Sakurai, but I honestly don't know what he was thinking. I could've think of 100 better choices for the "WTF OMG THEY MADE IT IN" character. It's honestly insulting to fans of characters like Isaac, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Geno, etc. We've been waiting so long for these characters to make it in, just to have development time used to turn a Mario enemy, not to mention a side mario enemy, into a character.

Now that I got my frustration out, we have to look at the context of this situation. Yes, the direct was a huge disapointed, but is it because the game had so much more potential, or that we made it seem that way? I mean in every leak, rumor, and insider information you've heard, the expectations have been so high. Vergeben said a Square-Enix character, the Grinch Leak had 7 newcomers... You get what I'm saying? The community, us, you, me, we turned the game into something it was never gonna be. Which is why I sit hear with a lump in my throat and a pain in my heart, because I shouldn't have expected so much. I'm sad right now, I sure am. But I set myself up for failure. So I'm gonna try to appreciate what good things the game did give us.

Also, for one last note, aside from how much we hyped up the game, the direct failing also has to do with it's presentation. I mean it was the last direct and Sakurai had to have known expectations were high, yet they decide to announce Incinieroar? I don't have a problem with him being in the game, but I don't get waiting til the last direct to announce him. They should have had him replace either K. Rool or Simon in the August direct and had the other appear in this one. And I mean I felt a lot of this direct was him talking about stuff no one really cared about, rather than relevant information. Challenges not returning? Trophies not returning? Yet we get 10 minutes of options, languages, tips... Alright, now I got it all out.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also there was no need to pad out the direct with things like the options menu.
Getting information on the menu does answer some questions that were a big mystery for months. We now know that custom specials are limited to the Miis, so that's definitely a big downgrade to fighter customizations when compared to Smash 3DS / Wii U. Also, it's safe to assume that the Spirits replace Equipment for altering a fighter's abilities.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
I'm only disappointed because I was all in on the Grinch leak. If that hadn't been a thing, I'd have been 100% satisfied with today tbh. But I went and convinced myself that we were getting Banjo
I completely understand that. It was really convincing and felt so much like the ESRB leak of Smash 4 fame. Then I saw Ken who was also in the Grinch leak and it almost got me. Convincing leaks can often change our hype to a completely different level.

I'm not dissing any of the characters that were revealed in the direct mind you, I'm happy that Ken's in the game since I'm a big Street Fighter fan and I welcome Incineroar since he looks unique and interesting, my problem is that it's the last direct before the game's release and it failed to hype many people (including me) in the same way that the previous one did. (Also doesn't help that a plant was revealed just after many highly requested characters got deconfirmed and the the Spirits mode was disappointing)
I gotcha, It was really weird to see the last fighter introduced right at the beginning. The Spirits section did drag on a bit too long in my opinion (especially when showing the examples of Spirit matches) It felt very lukewarm. The August direct was much better in my opinion.

disappointment is a part of life, it's natural to be disappointed, but the way people handle their disappointment is what determines if they're ungrateful.

hating on what they do get and calling it all "a waste" is being ungrateful... and insulting fans of the things they're disappointed with is unnecessary.

but also, blaming sakurai for your disappointment is also unnecessary and pretty foolish, considering the reason behind such disappointment.

from what i've seen, a lot of people were just BEGGING for disappointment due to listening to "leaks" and false predictions, speculating and expecting a ton of other characters.

i can't even begin with how frustrated i got seeing so many youtube videos with clickbait thumbnails showing geno, banjo, and several other characters, as if they were already confirmed.

also people were going on about the grinch... goku was bad enough, but the grinch? seriously?

maybe i'm misunderstanding the grinch thing, but whatever it was really about, people clearly believed it, and that is all on them.

i avoided things the best i could, but even on COMPLETELY unrelated videos, i still stumbled across people talking about stuff... drove me nuts.

i kept my expectations low, and ONLY ever looked at official nintendo videos, which is probably why i wasn't disappointed at all.

i mean, if i had to choose something to be disappointed in... it's the fact that i'll once again miss out on a ton of content cause of the challenges section.

even that disappointment stems more from my own lack of skill... i can't possibly hope to complete the challenges, i barely completed any in previous games, no matter how hard i tried.

so my mii fighters will be pretty boring-looking, and my music collection will always be incomplete, sadly.
To be fair, the Grinch leak was very, and I mean very, convincing. I could understand if a lot of people believed it (as I did as well) But yes, people need to learn how to let out their frustration in a less obnoxious way. Those leak videos to me where just a waste of time, just people who would just jump on any 4Chan leak they can find just to get some extra views.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
these past few years people have been using the word "ungrateful" in response to any kind of dislike.... getting tired of this hive mind.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
My biggest disappointment is that for glory is gone and they've merged it and for fun into the same matchmaking system that will sometimes find you the match you want and other times dump you into one you absolutely do NOT want.

REALLY hoping it'll let you choose to not join the match it finds you if you don't want to, otherwise the online matchmaking just regressed to BRAWL levels of awful...

Last edited:

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
Being disappointed is understandable, it was bound to happen to many people regardless of who or what was shown. But claiming the game is now bad or that Sakurai is a hack or whatnot simply because you didn't get exactly what you wanted is pretty awful. This coming from a Geno fan so devout I was wearing my GENO T-SHIRT WHILE WATCHING THE DIRECT. And another friendly reminder that several playable characters have spirits of them, so if your favorite is a spirit, you can still hope for DLC.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
There is a difference between not being personally excited for a character and actively being spiteful and petty towards characters.

Ken, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant got in. They have fans, they have positive traits just like any other character. People claiming these were trash picks or insulting their fans are being childish. Piranha Plant is obviously very left field and unexpected with little support, but it's here and some people already love it. There's no reason to rain on their parade.

Being disappointed that Isaac, Spring Man, and Shadow took a massive hit in probability is understandable, but there is no reason to pin the blame on the last revealed characters. Imagine if Isabelle was last? She almost got witch hunted and burned for not being Geno or Isaac as people were expecting those two at that exact direct.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
these past few years people have been using the word "ungrateful" in response to any kind of dislike.... getting tired of this hive mind.
like i said in my post, i only say someone is ungrateful if they handle their frustration in an obnoxious way... honestly, i am tired of people blaming sakurai and saying HE disappointed them, as if they hired him to cater to them, specifically, people who act entitled to everything they want, and curse anyone who got things they wanted that the complainers personally view as "a waste" or "not deserving" of a place in the game.

you wanna talk hivemind... look to the people who blame sakurai for their disappointment, when blame falls solely on the people who listened to leaks and searched high and low for such things to cling to in order to build false hype.

My biggest disappointment is that for glory is gone and they've merged it and for fun into the same matchmaking system that will sometimes find you the match you want and other times dump you into one you absolutely do NOT want.

REALLY hoping it'll let you choose to not join the match it finds you if you don't want to, otherwise the online matchmaking just regressed to BRAWL levels of awful...
eh? did you not pay attention to that part?

the new matchmaking specifically lets you tailor the kind of match you want, in a much more detailed way, it seems like... so you can not only stick to casual or competitive fights, but different types of both, depending on the options chosen.

how is it worse?

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Thank you for making this thread.

I will tell you a story when I went to cancel y subscription of my cellphone provider to is similar to this.

When I tried to stop it. The salesman was telling me... - you really wanna put end to 9 years of services... after all we done for you.
He was trying to shame me into submission, So I told him he was just trying to pressure me... He starts to freak out and yell at his coworker for support like I offended is whole god damn life !

Now we all can agreed on something... I do not own them anything and it not ungrateful to switch provider because the situations fits your need. YOU ARE PAYING for a service. It not charity. It not like mom making you hot coco or daddy making you chicken wing to spend time with them, and make you smile.

You are paying a Business for a service, they don't do it from their bottom of their heart, they do it to make money, it a businesses, that what they do.

Now Sakurai, you have every rights to admire the guy. But, he is not your friend. He does put hearth and passion into his product, but that is. It not for YOU specifically. He is not doing this for charity, He is making a product that he is passionate but we gotta paid money, and a good amount, and we are customers.

But...but he is working so much !! ... Sorry but nobody forced him to work this much, that's a choice he made. Don't you think this guy isn't a multimillionaire by the time Brawl or Smash 4 happen ? He is getting paid. He has the choice of walking away if he wanted has much has we have a choice the buy or not a product. Also overworking in Japan is a serious issues that shouldn't be encourage as it makes is diminishing population and it high suicide rate one of the biggest core of theses issues, there are tones of videos and article about it if you want to look it up.

Personnally, I am disappointed by the way the online is handed, I don't like that he tried to make a power statement with pete pirana and make it pre-order exclusive and the price of the DLC. Personally I would have loved the plant if it wasn't for the way he used it. And having the buy the NGC adapter without a bundle deal ( I don't have a pro controller, forget playing smash with joycons, that would be a dead sentence on them) . Being suggested to buy an internet adapter for better online ... and paying 40$(cad) for 5 dlc Characters and stages.

I can barely afford all that. I am cancelling my pre-order and waiting to see if the online is reliable or/and will be improved. And probably going get it at good deal.

As a 30years man who can't see his friends that much and will rely on online play and is in a tricky financial situation, I really can justify to risk to buy a game for this much and maybe getting stuck with bots and laggy online with shallow matchmaking.

like i said in my post, i only say someone is ungrateful if they handle their frustration in an obnoxious way... honestly, i am tired of people blaming sakurai and saying HE disappointed them, as if they hired him to cater to them, specifically, people who act entitled to everything they want, and curse anyone who got things they wanted that the complainers personally view as "a waste" or "not deserving" of a place in the game.

you wanna talk hivemind... look to the people who blame sakurai for their disappointment, when blame falls solely on the people who listened to leaks and searched high and low for such things to cling to in order to build false hype.

the new matchmaking specifically lets you tailor the kind of match you want, in a much more detailed way, it seems like... so you can not only stick to casual or competitive fights, but different types of both, depending on the options chosen.

how is it worse?
People are also dumb for pinning everything on one man. This game isn't made by him alone. He might be the "Captain" but he isn't the only person sailing**this ship.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177

I was agreeing with OP about the use of ungrateful and how some people say it too quick. That part is something I'm getting tired of seeing everywhere. I've had people give me paragraphs about how "ungrateful" I am for just typing the word disappointing.

As for the community's hive mind about blaming Sakurai I agree with you about that being truly ungrateful. Honestly, I expected more myself, but in the end happy with what I got.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

how is it worse?
Twitch was dodgy during that part but it seemed to imply that you could specify your preferences, but that if it couldn't find a match like that it would choose something else.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Completely agree. It's like the "Everyone who disagrees with me is an SJW/Nazi" Ideology

Being disappointed is understandable, it was bound to happen to many people regardless of who or what was shown. But claiming the game is now bad or that Sakurai is a hack or whatnot simply because you didn't get exactly what you wanted is pretty awful. This coming from a Geno fan so devout I was wearing my GENO T-SHIRT WHILE WATCHING THE DIRECT. And another friendly reminder that several playable characters have spirits of them, so if your favorite is a spirit, you can still hope for DLC.
Very true, Mewtwo was a trophy in Smash 4 but still came up as a DLC fighter. Geno is now a Spirit so he still might have a chance (unless Sakurai sees Spirits different from Trophies) Still keep your hopes up! Geno was considered for Brawl, almost got in Smash WiiU/3DS and still might have a chance for DLC in Ultimate!

There is a difference between not being personally excited for a character and actively being spiteful and petty towards characters.

Ken, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant got in. They have fans, they have positive traits just like any other character. People claiming these were trash picks or insulting their fans are being childish. Piranha Plant is obviously very left field and unexpected with little support, but it's here and some people already love it. There's no reason to rain on their parade.

Being disappointed that Isaac, Spring Man, and Shadow took a massive hit in probability is understandable, but there is no reason to pin the blame on the last revealed characters. Imagine if Isabelle was last? She almost got witch hunted and burned for not being Geno or Isaac as people were expecting those two at the that exact direct.
I honestly love the idea of Piranha Plant. It's such a goofy idea I can't help but to gush about it. It is kind of confusing on how Sakurai chose him over a more popular Mario enemy like Goomba or Koopa, but none the less I love it!

SageOfMac

Smash Rookie
I agree. What causes a lot of disappointment for me, in regards to Ultimate, is: Some of the newcomers . . . shouldn't be new. Lol. Melee added Mario and Link's main villain. Couldn't squeeze in time for K. Rool and Ridley? Then Brawl should've added Daisy and Dark Samus. Smash four: Chrom, Isabelle, and the Belmot brothers (since Smash four had the influx of third party characters). Imagine the "free time" if Splatoon was the main new franchise coming to Ultimate, so many other characters could've been added since all of these "newcomers" would be veterans by now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead.

We're also keeping an eye on this thread, just to avoid drama.

-----------------

I honestly still feel grateful the content, but I am disappointed in the lack of trophies. Stickers were eh in Brawl to me. I really wanted to play as Shadow and Isaac. I was surprised more at Shadow still being an AT, though. Isaac less so, but I had a feeling he wasn't some guarantee. None of the "evidence" added up to me anyway. A generic item, a pic that kind of is like Golden Sun, him simply being gone for one game, a renewal of Golden Sun's trademark. These never became real evidence to me. Just conjecture. I'm glad Shantae at least appears in some form, though. She could be DLC, though?

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
I would like to say I love this thread because the direct was honestly disappointing for me. It really hurt that Shadow my most wanted character AT was held out to the end. I would have been fine if Sakurai show off his AT earlier. What makes things worst for me is that a plant got in over highly requested characters. This game should of had been paced better. Save the K rool trailer until the end and show off popular characters like Isaac,Shadow, and Skull kid AT first then later. Also the grinch leak did not help neither it really raised people’s expectations but I will give credit where credit is due it was a good leak that I wish it was real.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't like that there limiting there dlc to 5 characters and thats it, so much potential passed up

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't like that there limiting there dlc to 5 characters and thats it, so much potential passed up
Seeing as Assist Trophies and Poke Ball Pokemon are out of the question, you can only really wish for characters who didn't end up on the assist chopping block.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Same, to me putting a number on it limits their creativity. And I also don't think they should be limiting it to just one character-one stage-one music track. I hope we get standalone stages and maybe other updates, like the return of trophy.

Top Bottom