• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You are not "Ungrateful" for being Disappointed

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I agree. What causes a lot of disappointment for me, in regards to Ultimate, is: Some of the newcomers . . . shouldn't be new. Lol. Melee added Mario and Link's main villain. Couldn't squeeze in time for K. Rool and Ridley? Then Brawl should've added Daisy and Dark Samus. Smash four: Chrom, Isabelle, and the Belmot brothers (since Smash four had the influx of third party characters). Imagine the "free time" if Splatoon was the main new franchise coming to Ultimate, so many other characters could've been added since all of these "newcomers" would be veterans by now.
That's a complete hypothetical scenario which didn't actually happen though. A newcomer is still a newcomer no matter what.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
My personal grief of this direct was Piranha plant and how people react to the inclusion.

Back when Villager was added a lot of people recognized how Sakurai made a fun/fresh moveset for a character that seemed hard to imagine.
While people use to see Dixie as "combine moves from Diddy and Dk" he could made something new. Even Incineroar,a character I dislike, have a different playstyle.

I'm not mad at Piranha Plant because the characters I wanted were not chosen. But because the characters everyone wanted were. He is capable of building interesting movesets for actual characters,but decided to go for a joke/minion only to surprise.
Bad surprise.

Last edited:

ps_

Banned via Warnings
As far as I'm concerned anybody posting about the absence of Goku, Scooby Doo, Geno or whoever just enjoys crying. People waited, what, 17 years for Ridley? Probably the same (maybe even longer) for the King. If you aren't used to waiting and disappointment by now I don't know what to tell you.

Let me draw your attention to some **** actually worth crying about.
  • Resurrecting the asinine sticker system in Brawl nobody used nor liked.
  • Getting rid of the ability to queue for exactly what you want online (and For Glory).
  • Still forcing people to use a smartphone for basic features present in every other online games service, like voice chat.
  • Shilling a mobile app that will see no use whatsoever less than a year after release.
  • Getting rid of trophies, a feature dating back to Melee that absolutely nobody wanted gone.
  • Replacing said trophies with already-existing PNG images, which you obtain gacha style.
  • Advertising paid DLC as if it's something to get excited for, which you will of course have to pay for on top of a (terrible) service that was once free.
  • Way too much of this game resembling Wii-U, from graphics to in-game physics.
I can laugh about Chibi-Robo being a mii costume and the ****ing Pirahna Plant. What I can't laugh about is yet another disappointing Smash title that fails to move people out of Melee. If this game sucks (and I feel there's a very real danger of that happening) then I'll be convinced Sakurai is a hack, Melee was a fluke and Smash should be retired.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
My biggest disappointment is that for glory is gone and they've merged it and for fun into the same matchmaking system that will sometimes find you the match you want and other times dump you into one you absolutely do NOT want.

REALLY hoping it'll let you choose to not join the match it finds you if you don't want to, otherwise the online matchmaking just regressed to BRAWL levels of awful...
That's NOT how it works.

That would only happen if you were the only person in your country looking for a specific rule set. The matchmaking system was clear: preferred rules (on and off toggle if you don't care), GSP, and proximity.

If you want 1v1 For Glory rules you will find another person looking for that, guaranteed. It dominated the Smash 4 online scene.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I know there are some people who genuinely like the Piranha Plant, which is fine, but then there are others who either a) kiss the ground Sakurai walks on or b) just like him because “hahahah you didn’t get what you wanted”. In both cases it’s really annoying because you’re made out to be the bad guy because you’re “ungrateful” or “salty”. I mean the free DLC could have been a literal turd or a pile of vomit and both types of people would defend it and parade it around is the greatest thing in the world, all the while ****ing on those who want to voice their displeasure. It’s not a free product, we’re paying for it. So yes, it’s absolutely okay to be upset, especially if there is no chance for DLC.

And then of course there’s other aspects of the game I’m disappointed with, like the lack of smash run and some mini games, plus how spirits looks like an upgraded smash tour in some cases, but that’s just some minor grievances. Still excited for Snake,Simon, and Incineroar though, can’t change that. But man, was that direct underwhelming. Maybe if they had saved Ridley and K Rool for the finale, while making Simon the E3 reveal, things would have been different?

ps_

Banned via Warnings
That's NOT how it works.

That would only happen if you were the only person in your country looking for a specific rule set. The matchmaking system was clear: preferred rules (on and off toggle if you don't care), GSP, and proximity.

If you want 1v1 For Glory rules you will find another person looking for that, guaranteed. It dominated the Smash 4 online scene.
I predict whatever Ultimate's default preferences are is what will dictate online play. If enough oblivious mestizo motion control-using toddlers queue for online without changing the default settings, you'll be playing 4-man Timed with items on for the rest of your life. This is assuming the online preferences system even works to begin with.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Yes, we are all disappointed that our requested newcomers couldn't make it in. Krystal, Tails, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Isaac, Shantae, Rayman, etc. Problem is, Sakurai would have a difficult time making all the requested characters work. At least we have all the veterans, so you can play your main from past games. And the newcomers will be fun to try out. And at least there's hope for DLC.

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
I predict whatever Ultimate's default preferences are is what will dictate online play. If enough oblivious mestizo motion control-using toddlers queue for online without changing the default settings, you'll be playing 4-man Timed with items on for the rest of your life. This is assuming the online preferences system even works to begin with.
I'm assuming your saying this without knowing that the lobby system is public, and you can search for other public lobbies right? so hypothetically you could just make an online lobby with the rules you want to avoid those "oblivious mestizo motion control-using toddlers"

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
As far as I'm concerned anybody posting about the absence of Goku, Scooby Doo, Geno or whoever just enjoys crying. People waited, what, 17 years for Ridley? Probably the same (maybe even longer) for the King. If you aren't used to waiting and disappointment by now I don't know what to tell you.

• Getting rid of the ability to queue for exactly what you want online (and For Glory).
  • Still forcing people to use a smartphone for basic features present in every other online games service, like voice chat.
  • Shilling a mobile app that will see no use whatsoever less than a year after release.
  • Getting rid of trophies, a feature dating back to Melee that absolutely nobody wanted gone.
  • Replacing said trophies with already-existing PNG images, which you obtain gacha style.
  • Advertising paid DLC as if it's something to get excited for, which you will of course have to pay for on top of a (terrible) service that was once free.
I can laugh about Chibi-Robo being a mii costume and the ****ing Pirahna Plant. What I can't laugh about is yet another disappointing Smash title that fails to move people out of Melee. If this game sucks (and I feel there's a very real danger of that happening) then I'll be convinced Sakurai is a hack, Melee was a fluke and Smash should be retired.
Oh boy, another Melee elitist. Won't you take a shower?

ps_

Banned via Warnings
I'm assuming your saying this without knowing that the lobby system is public, and you can search for other public lobbies right? so hypothetically you could just make an online lobby with the rules you want to avoid those "oblivious mestizo motion control-using toddlers"
Where in the Direct did it mention lobbies? It looked like a matchmaking system.

Oh boy, another Melee elitist. Won't you take a shower?
It's not elitism, it's pointing out warning signs. I want this game to actually be good just as much as anybody.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
It's not elitism, it's pointing out warning signs. I want this game to actually be good just as much as anybody.
It seemed like that at first, but then you mentioned how Ultimate won't be able to move people out of Melee, as if the majority of Smash fans still think Melee is the best game in the series. You forget that Melee was an incredibly buggy and rushed game filled with clones and a mediocre Adventure mode. I have nostalgia for it, but it really is overrated.

Last edited:

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
Where in the Direct did it mention lobbies? It looked like a matchmaking system.
there technically called battle arenas at 20:54 you can see that you can set the visibility to either public or just for friends, along with the arena's ruleset I assume.

the option for searching for lobbies is also there so I don't think you should be worried about getting the online matches that you want.

Edit: I see the first online mode Sakurai mentioned as being quickplay basically, you set your preferred rules but basically you join that mode primarily just to get matches as quickly as possible. this, of course, will means that on some occasions you will get some rulesets other than yours.

Last edited:

ps_

Banned via Warnings
It seemed like that at first, but then you mentioned how Ultimate won't be able to move people out of Melee, as if the majority of Smash fans still think Melee is the best game in the series.
They probably do. Melee is held in pretty high regard and with good reason: when you dig past the jank (or just openly wallow in it) you find a game that's fun even if you aren't pro. Meanwhile Brawl and Wii-U are treated like Star Wars prequels, and Ultimate looks more like those games than Melee.

there technically called battle arenas at 20:54 you can see that you can set the visibility to either public or just for friends, along with the arena's ruleset I assume.

the option for searching for lobbies is also there so I don't think you should be worried about getting the online matches that you want.
Useful info, thank you.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
If only people would stop caring what others think. As long as someone isn't harassing others with their opinion, they should be able to speak out. And we all know no game out there is going to please everyone. Totally agree with the OP.

This toxicity is flourishing with the grinch leak debates and I wish it would stop as well. Can we just stop acting like children and be civil? This fan base can be really full of morons sometimes.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
They probably do. Melee is held in pretty high regard and with good reason: when you dig past the jank (or just openly wallow in it) you find a game that's fun even if you aren't pro. Meanwhile Brawl and Wii-U are treated like Star Wars prequels, and Ultimate looks more like those games than Melee.

Useful info, thank you.
Well, you're just in the vocal minority. Brawl and Smash 4 both sold better than Melee, and most people prefer games with larger rosters.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

ppl are excited for this game and it cost 60 dollars so whats the difference in paid DLC. DLC should be paid the workers deserve payment for there efforts.

also on your star wars comparison I honestly think the prequels are a lot better then the originals. THE Original story line is not really that innovating and this is coming from a star wars fan

ps_

Banned via Warnings
Well, you're just in the vocal minority. Brawl and Smash 4 both sold better than Melee, and most people prefer games with larger rosters.
Am I? Melee has been enjoying an active competitive scene for the better part of a decade now. I won't hesitate to point out it has flaws (Fox dominates a little too hard, even if he takes effort to learn) but nobody will argue Brawl, Wii-U or even 64 are anywhere near as revered as Melee. I want Ultimate to be good, I acknowledge it has a lot of stuff that has me worried and I don't pretend Melee is some smelly neckbeards-only game.

ppl are excited for this game and it cost 60 dollars so whats the difference in paid DLC. DLC should be paid the workers deserve payment for there efforts.

also on your star wars comparison I honestly think the prequels are a lot better then the originals. THE Original story line is not really that innovating and this is coming from a star wars fan
I'm not going to argue with someone who likes the Star Wars prequels.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think the direct was underwhelming for a few reason to me:
-Spirits mode seemed kinda underwhelming to me and dragged on (like others have said it looks like event mode with stickers)
-The only new character from it I cared about was Ken and he's an echo
-World of Light looks really interesting but looks heavily based on Spirits mode so I'm not sure it will be anything like an actual adventure mode which I will always be partial to in Smash.
-Piranha Plant being added as a completely unique new character over any of the countless assist that got deconfirmed. It's a generic Mario enemy and it got in over so many iconic and heavily requested characters. This is also coming off the knowledge that the roster wouldn't see a huge increase from Smash 4. I know each game has a WTF character but at least the past ones had some sort of purpose in Nintendo history, PP feels like someone looked at a Goomba and said "eh, why not." And to add to the hurt of it, you get the confirmation of DLC and realize that almost none of those characters have a chance of being playable because they are likely locked in as assist trophies.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Yes, it's okay to be disappointed. The direct could have been better in a lot of ways. On the other hand, there's a fine life between disappointment, and :

WE WANT A NEW SMASH BROS
Done.
WITH EVERY CHARACTER BACK
Done.
AND MAKE THE GAMEPLAY FASTER
Done.
ADD RIDLEY
Ok
AND K.ROOL
Ok
AND SIMON
Ok, also here’s Ritcher, a bunch of music, and several monsters as stage hazards.
AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT CLONES
Now there separate so you can pretend they don’t exist I guess. Also they really don’t take that much effort guys, your favourite wasn’t cut in favour of Dark Pit or whatever.
AND GIVE US A NEW STORY MODE
Here.
I ALSO WANT GENO, ISAAC, AND OTHER NICHE RETRO REPS THAT MOST CASUAL FANS HAVE NEVER HEARD OF
Piranha Plant.
**** YOU SAKURAI, YOU LAZY HACK. YOU CLEARLY DON’T KNOW WHAT YOUR FANS WANT AND YOU SHOULD BE FIRED. PREORDER CANCELLED. SMASH IS DEAD.

In case you’re wondering that last part was barely exaggerated. I’ve seen several posts like this on Twitter.

SageOfMac

Smash Rookie
That's a complete hypothetical scenario which didn't actually happen though. A newcomer is still a newcomer no matter what.
Yes, hypothetical, that's true. But my overall message was this:

Fans wanted characters for so long (spanning years), that those said characters should've been veterans by now. So the time it took to make them this game from scratch, say K. Rool, that effort could've been used on a different, legit "newcomer." Opposed to already having K. Rool's moveset, animations, and voice acting done, just update the template from game to game, like Bowser. I'm taking a shot in the dark to say: I'm sure it was easier to convert Bowser, DK, or King Dedede--any of the heavyweights--from Smash four to Ultimate, versus making K. Rool and Ridley from scratch. If Sakurai TRULY listened to the outcry of fans YEARS ago, he'd need only to update K. Rool, against making him from the bottom up. Lol. Which to me, is a personal disappointment. Doesn't ruin the game--not at all--but takes away "what could've been."

volbound1700

Smash Master
I work for a large Japanese Company in Manufacturing and we have a focus on customers (Boss is #1). People could die if our products are not made correctly. We have very aggressive timelines and goals from our large OEM customers. To hear Nintendo and Sakurai whine about how difficult they have it for a game is kind of a joke. This product didn't mean expectations, no way to spin it. Perhaps with DLC it can get closer but there are failings:

Spirits Mode is not that great, not what people wanted for Single Player
Sakurai added several unpopular characters over popular characters
Marketing process was terrible

There is so much more potential to this series. If I had been the director of this game, you wouldn't have seen the disappointment that was in the Direct yesterday. I would have made stuff happened and probably managed to cram in 2-3 more characters. One item that could have helped was not revamping all of the original characters final smashes which would have saved time overall for other developments. Other small tweaks that took time could have been cut in favor of adding items people actually wanted into the game.

Yes, it's okay to be disappointed. The direct could have been better in a lot of ways. On the other hand, there's a fine life between disappointment, and :

WE WANT A NEW SMASH BROS
Done.
WITH EVERY CHARACTER BACK
Done.
AND MAKE THE GAMEPLAY FASTER
Done.
ADD RIDLEY
Ok
AND K.ROOL
Ok
AND SIMON
Ok, also here’s Ritcher, a bunch of music, and several monsters as stage hazards.
AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT CLONES
Now there separate so you can pretend they don’t exist I guess. Also they really don’t take that much effort guys, your favourite wasn’t cut in favour of Dark Pit or whatever.
AND GIVE US A NEW STORY MODE
Here.
I ALSO WANT GENO, ISAAC, AND OTHER NICHE RETRO REPS THAT MOST CASUAL FANS HAVE NEVER HEARD OF
Piranha Plant.
**** YOU SAKURAI, YOU LAZY HACK. YOU CLEARLY DON’T KNOW WHAT YOUR FANS WANT AND YOU SHOULD BE FIRED. PREORDER CANCELLED. SMASH IS DEAD.

In case you’re wondering that last part was barely exaggerated. I’ve seen several posts like this on Twitter.
The Story Mode is not what people wanted. They wanted something akin to Melee's Adventure Mode and they DID NOT get it.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Honestly, if there’s any part of the Smash community that’s behaving this way, it’s Twitter, Tumblr and Youtube or heck, anywhere else that’s not here.

Atleast people here on Smashboards understands how disappointed people and show condolences to characters fans but god forbid on social media sites if you show even any scrap of disappointment, sadness, or even slight anger, you’ll get bombarded with people constantly going “STOP WHINING YOU UNGRATEFUL SPOILED BRATS SAKURAI ALMOST DIED AND SPREAD BLOOD AND HEART INTO THIS GAME AND YOURE BE SALTY JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDNT GET YOUR CHARACTER AND IM GLAD YOU DIDNT”

And it’s (mostly) not even all the “salty tears” fan-art that riles me up, it’s the constant comments that sh** on Geno/Isaac/Banjo/Shadow/Waluigi fans who get absolutely get zero sympathy from other people for being hopeful for their characters and which amuses people.
Yeah, it can be hilarious to see people getting salty but that’s only if they deserve it in which this case, they don’t.

Like seriously, those posts piss me off to no end, nobody is obliged to be happy about everything and kiss Sakurai’s a** for it. I get that we admire and respect him but he isn’t our friend, he’s a businessman working for money.

Yes, he puts love into it but you people act as if he’s a freaking slave when he chooses to overwork himself, guy’s a workaholic. He definitely deserves a vacation but he decides what he wants to do.

Don’t even get me started on the Team Fake gloating when the Grinch leak got deconfirmed, acting as if we were gullible for believing an extremely convincing hoax with supporting evidence, did we set our expectations too high because of it?

Absolutely but considering this is the Ultimate/Special where every veteran return and long-time requests Ridley and K.Rool were added after finally listening to fan demand, asking and hoping for a couple more fan-picks wasn’t that unreasonable, if this was an ordinary Smash game with cuts and such then we wouldn’t have expected so much.

Am I still salty as a cracker over Isaac, Shadow, Geno, and Banjo over that hype-killing letdown (for me) of a Direct?

Yes, but it’s only been a single day. I’ll get over it by next year when I have the game.

Last edited:

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
The Story Mode is not what people wanted. They wanted something akin to Melee's Adventure Mode and they DID NOT get it.
True. My point was that looking at some people’s reaction, you’d think Sakurai literally pulled down his pants on stream and took a big fat **** on an effigy of your most wanted newcomer.
Once again, it’s okay to be disappointed. But please don’t act like it’s the end of the world.

volbound1700

Smash Master
True. My point was that looking at some people’s reaction, you’d think Sakurai literally pulled down his pants on stream and took a big fat **** on an effigy of your most wanted newcomer.
Once again, it’s okay to be disappointed. But please don’t act like it’s the end of the world.
Isabella, Inceneroar, and Ken. Characters NO ONE wanted in the game. Switch those with Shadow, Skullkid, and Isaac and you would see a positive reaction to the game. That would have been very easy for Nintendo to accomplish. \

I also see the Nanny Net modes deleted my post. This board use to be fun before they cracked down on everything. It is like the sticking Soviet Union in here now.

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
I got burnt out of Pokemon after ORAS, didnt play Sun and Moon. And Ive never played a Street Fighter game. I bought a Switch six days ago and preordered Ultimate but the direct was super disappointing. And it wasn't just the characters.

Still it looks like in terms of game play it will be the best Smash so I don't regret my purchase.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Isabella, Inceneroar, and Ken. Characters NO ONE wanted in the game. Switch those with Shadow, Skullkid, and Isaac and you would see a positive reaction to the game. That would have been very easy for Nintendo to accomplish. \
The Incineroar fans would beg to differ. Game Freak hardly ever pushed Decidueye at all, while Incineroar got a major role in a Pokemon movie, AND is a recurring character in the anime.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Just to copy what I posted on reddit:
Not mad with Ken or Incineroar, but the fact that they were the last characters announced is underwhelming to say the least. At least organize it so the 3rd party franchise (Castlevania) is announced last.

And I'm not saying that I'm particularly affected by the events today as I have the Belmonts as my biggest request, BUT...

I think what hurts the most for people is that the Grinch leak showed what could have been. Instead of putting resources towards characters such as your 7th Fire Emblem rep (Admittedly an Echo Fighter), or your 8th (or 11th depending on how you view it) Pokemon rep, why not put those resources towards characters that Nintendo owns that unrepresented as fighters such as Golden Sun? The Piranha Plant had to have been a gut punch for many as well...
So essentially, I'm not mad at the content shown overall. What we were shown is actually really good. I have an issue in how it was presented (Or at least the order of when the characters were announced.).

Doesn't help that the Grinch leak fueled an emotional gut punch to many when the final direct landed. But that could have been avoided and disproved if the characters announced were organized more appropriately.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The Incineroar fans would beg to differ. Game Freak hardly ever pushed Decidueye at all, while Incineroar got a major role in a Pokemon movie, AND is a recurring character in the anime.
We have enough Pokemon. There are 9 of them and only 5 Zelda characters and 3 Donkey Kong Characters.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There is a difference between not being personally excited for a character and actively being spiteful and petty towards characters.

Ken, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant got in. They have fans, they have positive traits just like any other character. People claiming these were trash picks or insulting their fans are being childish. Piranha Plant is obviously very left field and unexpected with little support, but it's here and some people already love it. There's no reason to rain on their parade.

Being disappointed that Isaac, Spring Man, and Shadow took a massive hit in probability is understandable, but there is no reason to pin the blame on the last revealed characters. Imagine if Isabelle was last? She almost got witch hunted and burned for not being Geno or Isaac as people were expecting those
two at that exact direct.
Any character that was vocal in the community and had consistent presence would have had less negative backlash. If King K. Rool was shown last then the community would have been less harsh since he was among the most wanted since the Melee days. It would have shown that a big name in the Smash fan base got in.
Would King K. Rool have haters? Of course, since there are fans who would rather have their own characters over him, but him being highly requested would give good reason why he should have gotten in.
Characters that were not as vocal are seen as characters that "nobody" wanted.

Note: For those curious on what I mean, ask yourself this. Would King K. Rool have reached the level of dismay, with people knowing he was wanted since Melee and was highly (if not the highest) requested, as characters like Isabelle and Piranha Plant?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We have enough Pokemon. There are 9 of them and only 5 Zelda characters and 3 Donkey Kong Characters.
You should also look at the amount of Super Mario Bros. series characters. One of those characters is just a generic enemy who had no realistic chance of being made playable, and yet it beat the impossible odds.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

I also see the Nanny Net modes deleted my post. This board use to be fun before they cracked down on everything. It is like the sticking Soviet Union in here now.
Please. Let's not fall into this fallacious bull**** that the fanbase is always guilty of.
You didn't ask for Incineroar, Isabelle and Ken personally. Therefore, you didn't want them in the game. (keyword: you)
That is not true for other people, as there has been support for those characters for a while.

I was hoping the fanbase had outgrown this mindset a while ago, but I was wrong.

And yes, you are being self entitled and handling this poorly.

Last edited:

NintenEdgyMan

Smash Apprentice
The people who know me know that I want Pokemon Mystery Dungeon content. Although Grovyle would be a pipe dream, a costume for pikachu, music, or even just a spirit would appease me.

Even my best friends have been calling me ungrateful for wanting this, and I don't get it. Everyone wants something in this game. I personally want Issac as well, and 5 smash fans in my classes kept talking me "At least they are acknowledged" and "maybe I'm smash 6 if they are deemed important enough".

People see Sakurai as a god who can do no wrong. People were happy about Incineroar, and not because they like the character, but because they grasp at straws to like anything. Characters like Incineroar have no gameplay elements to set them apart.

As much as I actually like Piranah Plant, I said "so Issac gets to be an assist but Plant gets in" and those Same 5 people just kept saying it was Sakurais game and to be grateful.

As a fan of Mystery Dungeon and Geno I feel really shunned by the community. They tell me my smash dreams will never happen and they call me out on it. It's hard being apart of this community for the reasons you have stated.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
People see Sakurai as a god who can do no wrong. People were happy about Incineroar, and not because they like the character, but because they grasp at straws to like anything. Characters like Incineroar have no gameplay elements to set them apart.
I was kinda neutral with Incineroar, but I liked his inclusion because he looks fun to play and well made. And not every new character needs to have new gameplay elements to set them apart, even though I'm still undeniably salty about Isaac being shafted over the Piranha Plant.

You can like what Sakurai gives us AND still be a bit disappointed. Don't think the only people who like Incineroar was because they think Sakurai is infallible. I think the reason I'm hyped for him is because I wasn't expecting a newcomer Pokemon, and if there was one, I actually would hope it not be Decidueye like everyone said because Pokken already did Decidueye justice, and I think another Poke deserves that much.

But I guess I am just grasping at straws, eh?

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
You should also look at the amount of Super Mario Bros. series characters. One of those characters is just a generic enemy who had no realistic chance of being made playable, and yet it beat the impossible odds.
Agreed. Mario universe is over saturated
Please. Let's not fall into this fallacious bull**** that the fanbase is always guilty of.
You didn't ask for Incineroar, Isabelle and Ken personally. Therefore, you didn't want them in the game. (keyword: you)
That is not true for other people, as there has been support for those characters for a while.

I was hoping the fanbase had outgrown this mindset a while ago, but I was wrong.

And yes, you are being self entitled and handling this poorly.
No, I am just saying what most Smash fans think. If Skull Kind had been announced over Incineroar, the Direct would have been fine. Had Isaac been announced over Incineroar, the Direct wouldl be fine.

Guess what, those characters aren't in my top 5 or 10 but I still recognize that they are far more popular than another Pokemon.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
They never said they wouldn't do a second season.
This is very true, if the first one sells well enough Sakurai might want to make a second. Games like Tekken 7 and For Honor got second Seasons. And Splatoon 2 is still getting updates to this day, so the possibility is there. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
No, I am just saying what most Smash fans think. If Skull Kind had been announced over Incineroar, the Direct would have been fine. Had Isaac been announced over Incineroar, the Direct wouldl be fine.

Guess what, those characters aren't in my top 5 or 10 but I still recognize that they are far more popular than another Pokemon.
Sadly, this might be true. A lot of people in the fanbase don't know how to handle themselves emotionally when a character they personally didn't ask for is revealed. They frequent echo chambers where they become absolutely certain that the characters they want are assured a spot in the Smash roster while also using a leak as leverage, so they tend to react poorly to any other fighter, thinking that the devs owe them, that they are obligated to comply with their choices. And more importantly, they think the character they like is on the top of everyone else's list, ignoring that a person is an individual and not a part of a hivemind. People will be mad at the choices made but more because of their own ignorance and selfishness.

There literally was a trailer made specifically to showcase gameplay elements for Incineroar, so the fact that you're saying that there are none is baffling and can actually be considered to be grasping at straws.
People oughta be honest with themselves and just say "I don't like the character" rather than applying mental gymnastics to tell others that a fighter has "no gameplay elements". We have seen this song and dance for years, and it still makes people lose credibility when they use it as an argument.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
This is very true, if the first one sells well enough Sakurai might want to make a second. Games like Tekken 7 and For Honor got second Seasons. And Splatoon 2 is still getting updates to this day, so the possibility is there. We'll just have to wait and see.
I don't know about a second fighter pass happening. After the first one, there will be EIGHTY-TWO characters (75 being unique). I feel like any more would just be too much.

Top Bottom