• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi+

matt4300

Smash Ace
give yoshi a regular sheild.

/thread
Why would you want that? He has the only shield in the game that cant be shield-poked. Its also been spead up, and if I remmeber correctly is also the fasted shield drop in the game.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Yoshi is totally underrated, I played as him for 2 weeks now and he feels like high / top tier.
Why? In Brawl+ combos were brought back to life, but you can't really combo a Yoshi, he is floaty so he has enough time to jump out of almost any aerial combo thanks to his super armor on the second jump. And on the other side, he combos the crap out of everyone, running up smash, into up tilt, and then a few up airs, followed by aerial up b shots, +60%-+80% combos all day.
It's so easy to KO someone with Yoshi: dair to dsmash works like fox's at higher % (+80% ~) . An up tilt or down throw into up air is easy to do, and thanks to Yoshis good aerial movement they can't even DI out of his aerial combos and aerial KOs.
He doesn't even have problems against tiny charakters unlike others.
He is honestly totally underrated and a high tier candidate.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
He's probably under rated cause nobody uses/wins with him.

Kinda like Bowser in vBrawl. I remember M2K mentioning Bowser could possibly be high tier if someone could fully exploit and use him effectively. But since there is only like one person that uses him effectively (can't remember his name) from Hawaii Bowser remains to be next to bad characters like Sonic.

tl;dr- People need to use Yoshi in tournaments. He's a fun character, but he needs to be used at high gameplay levels to see how good he is.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Well i will upload a few matches against a friend where I play yoshi, I don't think I'm that good with Yoshi (well, he was my main in melee and 64, but my playstyle was different cause of dj cancels) but i guess they will show clearly that he is nowhere near mid-low tier.

Trojan Donkey

Smash Cadet
Well, if i may ask, what kind of addition did they give to Yoshi in this Brawl +? Is there something they took from him (nerfing), or did they buff him up? And what kind of buffing/nerfing did they done to him? I only played normal SSBB and wanna go for a little comparison.

jalued

Smash Lord
Well, if i may ask, what kind of addition did they give to Yoshi in this Brawl +? Is there something they took from him (nerfing), or did they buff him up? And what kind of buffing/nerfing did they done to him? I only played normal SSBB and wanna go for a little comparison.
well basically, once they added hitstun (combos ) to the game, yoshi skyrocketed lol. he is a combo beast, has anything up to 100% combos. only a few thigns were changed for him, like he comes out of sheild 2x faster, and his dsamsh actually kills now. apart form that he feels and plays exactly the same lol

Trojan Donkey

Smash Cadet
They reduced the shield activation time? Oh great. Then that means Yoshi won't be really enjoying his unique shield anymore (i overused the shield). About that combo/killing thing, well that should fix a lot. Both good news and bad news for Yoshi (in my opinion). Thanks for the info Jalued!

jalued

Smash Lord
They reduced the shield activation time? Oh great. Then that means Yoshi won't be really enjoying his unique shield anymore (i overused the shield). About that combo/killing thing, well that should fix a lot. Both good news and bad news for Yoshi (in my opinion). Thanks for the info Jalued!
np lol, hope you give B+ a go :) i personally hate fighting vs yoshi though lol, not used to him at all

matt4300

Smash Ace
No no ... he still has his same shield it just drops faster ... I think he has the fastest shield drop in the game now.... Also... He enters egg roll faster and exits it MUCH faster. If you use egg roll off stage you get your second jump back! His dair landing lag was also made smaller so you can do things like Dair>utilt>uair/Nair/Dair ect or Dair>Grab> dthrow> uair/Bair/nair

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
i dunno if anyone knows about this but Yoshi can Chain a D-throw into and Spiking F-air at lower percentages, even against Luigi. you can use this to Tech Chase. It becomes a kill combo at around 120ish. also if they go to the ledge its a free spike gimp if they DI wrong. D-throw > U-air > U-air doesnt work vs Luigi or Wolf.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Umm, no...he can't.

My brother has attempted to chaingrab me with Yoshi on several occasions, and...no.
Its not a chain grab lol. Its a tech chase. D-throw > F-air (spike) and Tech chase the re-grab.

although with Bad DI yoshi can F-throw to F-throw some of the heavier characters. Only the Heaviest chars though.

but Yoshi can Chain a D-throw into and Spiking F-air at lower percentages, even against Luigi. you can use this to Tech Chase.
you should probably read this again

Trojan Donkey

Smash Cadet
Well about that chaingrab thingy, Yoshi must rechase his opponents to grab him again consecutively.

However, i succesfully "infinite chaingrabbed" a lvl 9 CPU Wario. I just grab, chew, and when he auto-releases, i grab him again and rechew him until the damage gets high. That's when i U-Smash him. Got this tip from a sticky about hatching healthy Yoshis.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Well about that chaingrab thingy, Yoshi must rechase his opponents to grab him again consecutively.

However, i succesfully "infinite chaingrabbed" a lvl 9 CPU Wario. I just grab, chew, and when he auto-releases, i grab him again and rechew him until the damage gets high. That's when i U-Smash him. Got this tip from a sticky about hatching healthy Yoshis.
that only works in vBrawl. They took out all the stupid grab releases, such as yoshi vs wario, mk, pikachu, etc.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
the DJC is kinda suckish though, unless you count his uair. With all of his other aerials, you have to wait a while before you can DJC and have the hitbox out before he lands.

shanus

Smash Hero
the DJC is kinda suckish though, unless you count his uair. With all of his other aerials, you have to wait a while before you can DJC and have the hitbox out before he lands.
l2time, you only have to delay your input ~2 frames for nair and 5 for uair. The same applies for ness.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
actually you don't have to delay at all with his uair.

Cuz I'm pretty sure uair is his fastest aerial (hitbox-wise)

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
dtilt at angle 79 so it combos into DJC uair and fsmash would be kinda cool.

Just sayin.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
What's a DJC if i may ask???
Its Double Jump canceling.
Basically you jump then Double Jump then do an Aerial. it then Cancels the upward flow of your second jump.

Nair has a big, fast, and long lasting hitbox. Uair combos really well. Hell even DJC Bair is great for Comboing. As for DTilt keep it the way it is. Its soooooo good for gimping. Screw comboing it into stuff. I want people to die (In game lol)

Depster

Smash Champion
DJC Dair makes for a good DR-like move with more range, so a lot closer to a wavedash than DR.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
dtilt -> fsmash SEXIIII?!

dtilt -> usmash SEXIIIII!?

dtilt -> dtilt -> SH nair SEXIIIIIII?!?!?!

I've been suggesting this since forever >.>

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ynmmmgdzdjz
why would you want that move to combo when his other tilts combo better?
Utilt>utilt> UAir>Fair Spike> tech chase grab.
I personally would rather have the ability to gimp over another combo move. Cause you know Gimps = stocks and thats how you win.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
You can still gimp with it. The KBG is small enough where if you hit them at a low OR high percentage you can still lead into fsmash or grab and in some bad DI utilt. This is still a gimping setup if you want it to be, deliberately done, so that the move has increased opportunities for utilization. You wanted people to die, they still do, it just looks way sexier.

Also comboing dtilt > any other tilt, (since because pickles) dash cancel okay

Also how the hell do you catch anyone with a utilt as a combo starter what that doesn't even make sense.. Just do (dash cancel) dtilt>utilt>utilt>uair>fair spike>FF>tech chase grab

But I know shanus or someone will pop up and yell at me for discussing changes like always >.>;

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Um...we already have DJC for yoshi and ness..

and yoshi doesn't need jumping out of shield. He already pops out of his shield the fastest by far of any character, what more do you want?

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt shouldn't change. Practically all of yoshi's other moveset can combo, why would you have to have it done to that move as well? Dtilt is the perfect gtfo move and it should stay that way.

What needs improvement are yoshi's roll and his egg lay. His roll should be sped up a tiny bit just to keep up with fast characters like fox and falco. Egg lay is a bit of a harder fix. obviously, i would love to be able to just combo out of it. But that might be a too much too soon of a buff.

Here are some problems i have with egg lay.
- Deals only 7%
- When opponent is in the egg, attacks are being reduced to a bit less than 40%. Egg lay to up air only des 13% together, where just an upair alone does the same amount of damage (and can combo!).
- The egg is easily DI-able
- Invincibility frames are given when opponent breaks out of the egg
- Opponent can break out of egg and punish you before or after you try to follow up. I play this one toon link player pretty often. whenever i'd egg lay him, he'd wait till i upair him before breaking out of the egg and dairing me right after. The risk reward for that move is poor.

I would be happy if the people in charge would come up with an answer for egg lay. Even if it's just a little one like bumping it from 7% to 10%.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
How about you can break out a lot faster, except that there's hitstun when you do.

Or would that destroy the purpose of the move?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
You can still gimp with it. The KBG is small enough where if you hit them at a low OR high percentage you can still lead into fsmash or grab and in some bad DI utilt. This is still a gimping setup if you want it to be, deliberately done, so that the move has increased opportunities for utilization. You wanted people to die, they still do, it just looks way sexier.

Also comboing dtilt > any other tilt, (since because pickles) dash cancel okay

Also how the hell do you catch anyone with a utilt as a combo starter what that doesn't even make sense.. Just do (dash cancel) dtilt>utilt>utilt>uair>fair spike>FF>tech chase grab

But I know shanus or someone will pop up and yell at me for discussing changes like always >.>;
*sneaks in*

EDIT: Also Egg roll speedup would also need an angle change because even right now it locks.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Dtilt is good the way it is. If anything, it sounds to me like TheSilenceOfNoOne is trying to make Yoshi's Dtilt another Ftilt, because your changes practically make it another Ftilt. >_>

Yoshi is a beast. People need to figure out DJCing better so they can **** with him more. I'd so love to get my replays uploaded with Yoshi, and everyone else I play. =P

Top Bottom