• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi+

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
Yoshi seems neglected and I thought it would good to just rally together what little support for him we have into one room to help out everyone become a better Yoshi. I do not claim to be an epic Yoshi and bet there are many better ones, so I will not yet post any information I have for playing Yoshi lest it be wrong. So anyone that is willing to help get this started can do so by posting or asking for this to be taken down and starting a new thread that might be potentially better.

lord karn

Smash Master
I love Yoshi in Brawl+. His combo game and maneuverability ****. Bair is one of the best shield pressure moves in the game. Bair to jab or to land behind and up tilt or bair double jump to uair to punish jump out of shield. Yoshi's grab game seems to be pretty good, but I admit that I barely tap into it myself. Yoshi's recovery is actually extremely hard to gimp imo, and the properties of his second jump in combination with his bair and fair make him a decent edgeguarder.

Yoshi's main weakness to me seems to be characters that have either a move that has more range or more priority than his bair that they can shut down his approach with. Kirby's bair and Marth's fair make those matchups very difficult for Yoshi. Wolf's bair also seems pretty good at dealing with Yoshi. I've played in several tournaments for Brawl+ and done very well playing mostly Yoshi. There should be some vids being uploaded to youtube right now. Just youtube foxy vs Karn, and all of the videos should be uploaded to the account that the first one is under.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Adding on to this, Down Throw and Up Air are godly.

Down throw in the very early percents leads to a free dair. Down throw after 30ish leads to two up airs. You can do two uairs in a row until 70/80ish (Need to test)

Yoshi has almost as much manuverability in the air as Jiggs and Wario. While the Marth matchup may still suck, Yoshi can easily take advantage of marth's blind spot directly underneath him. Kirby still sucks, and I honestly think he's one of the best characters in Brawl+. His grab release matchups have to be played much differently, especially Diddy and Metaknight. Metaknight is comboable now, but now there is no grab release. Diddy is less comboable than Meta and has no release grab as well.

There's a ganon matchup now. Christ.

Biinii

Smash Apprentice
I liked him.
Ground game is now very solid, its easier to lead to uair, his dair is now useable and lots of combos. Armor frames are godly in this new edge game.

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
I was pretty sure I was playing him right, I just needed to know for sure. He is an amazing character. But I must disagree on the gimping fact. Since the moajority of recovery relies on his second jump I find that people will not let him land and continue to push him in the air until he is too far away to recover. Another common gimp are moves that knock Yoshi downwards, such as Pika's D-Smash. If you get edgegaurded and then D-Smashed downwards you lose. Maybe I just can't recover. But I do think other than those minor gimps he has an incredible recovery.

His bair is amazing, but I find that his nair is pretty effective if you constantly approach with bair. Nair has similar properties to bair with out the multihit and the bigger hitbox. And can also be comboed in to jab on the ground.

My only problem really is approaching the edge when Yoshi is facing forward. His nair lacks enough range to protect him from the majority of edge guarding moves, his fair is too slow and his uair is only useful for preventing people from killing you once you've recovered

My one real problem is the ground game, I find myself weak compared to the vast majority of characters on the ground. His grab game is great but you have to already have spaced the characters in order not to be out prioritized through speed.

lord karn

Smash Master
Yoshi's bair also goes into uair usually if you hit an aerial opponent with it. Great for setting up kills.

I have had very few problems getting gimped. Usually I recover low and use my airdodge with my second jump to bypass edgeguarding. If you mix it up effectively, Yoshi's recovery is actually better than most characters, in my opinion. The only problem I've had is if I'm approaching the edge with too much momentum and the opponent grabs it. If I try to egg in this situation I usually fly under the stage, but I could probably avoid being in that situation anyways.

Perhaps comboing into downb would be a good kill move. I was thinking that bair might go straight into it.

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
I think it's safe to say bair is Yoshi's best move and possibly a candidate for one of the best moves in the game. Maybe not for killing although technically you could aerial pressure them off the side of the stage but definetely for comboing, approaching.... essentially everything but killing.

JOE!

Smash Hero
so, great combos/damage racking, excellent survivability/recovery, candidate for high tier? :D

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
He still can't kill very well except for walking backward and fsmash. I'm assuming the dsmash buff is coming soon though.

scrubadub

Smash Rookie
his 2nd jump can still be footstooled, I think...? That's another con against him. Don't play against him much, so I can comment on how easy/hard it is to land...

IC3R

Smash Lord
Yoshi has rising U-Air for killing and it can be used as an anti-footstool weapon. He can just avoid the footstool by dodging anyways >_>

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Yoshi was one of the easiest characters for me to pick up in B+.

I started off with just Bair, u-tilt-uair and developed my metagame from thier.

What I love about Yoshi is that he is easy to pick up but at higher levels of play he still retains an insane amount of depth.

Yoshi to me is all about spacing properly and setting yourself up with that spacing to put in the **** combos.

Dragonic reverse, Unique gimping game, quick jabs and tilts for defense. And the OOS options went through the roof.

defiantly has potential to be one of the best in B+

JOE!

Smash Hero
Makes recoveries predictable though.
true, but what are you gonna do while yoshi is doing the DJ-Airdodge?

he has the fastest air speed, and biggest second jump, meaning he covers alot of distance, pretty quickly, while invulnerable.

On top of that, before the air-dodge, he has the super armor while he starts the DJ

So, yeah, its easy as hell to predict....but kinda hard to actually act on

scrubadub

Smash Rookie
I agree with most of what swordplay said. Yoshi is very easy to pick up. His bair is among the top approaches in the game, almost as good as G&W's bair and is safe on block (and hit). His faster shield drop give him an almost auto-perfect shield and increases his oos options tenfold. You still have to find a way to work around his recovery though, but having played a bit, it's not as bad as I initially thought. Egg toss is a very versatile projectile.

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
I find Yoshi has some problems on the stage as much as the back aerial is a great approach it's pretty much his only approach and can be spaced properly by the opponent

lord karn

Smash Master
I think that a dash grab instead of a bair will punish most opponents if they make the action that would normally defend against the bair. I always forget to grab with yoshi, but I don't think that his approach is completely one dimensional.

D

Deleted member

The thing about yoshi is...hes practically the same as in vbrawl.
He doesnt play differently, he just can follow up better(but so can everyone else).
Bair was always his combo move, he can just get a few more hits off it. Grab is worse imo, just cuz of the physics. If they made his pivot grab hitbox last longer some how hed be better.

Iunno, its just boring playing him when all the other characters are so fresh and unique and yoshi is the same.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
He doesnt play differently, he just can follow up better(but so can everyone else).
Bair was always his combo move, he can just get a few more hits off it. Grab is worse imo, just cuz of the physics. If they made his pivot grab hitbox last longer some how hed be better.

Iunno, its just boring playing him when all the other characters are so fresh and unique and yoshi is the same.
You can approach with funner aerials? Yoshi hasn't exactly been known for variety in brawl.

D

Deleted member

I just mean that he plays the exact same as he does in vbrawl.
Hes very deep in vbrawl, and he is in brawl+ too, but he still feels too much like a slightly faster version of vbrawl yoshi.

Hed do well with DJC.

IC3R

Smash Lord
i Just Mean That He Plays The Exact Same As He Does In Vbrawl.
Hes Very Deep In Vbrawl, And He Is In Brawl+ Too, But He Still Feels Too Much Like A Slightly Faster Version Of Vbrawl Yoshi.

Hed Do Well With Djc.
hed Do Well With Djc.
well With Djc.
what?!?!?!

Rising aerials was something good going for him. And how would that work with his airdodge?

D

Deleted member

Im not sure if you could somehow make only aerials cancel his jump, making his recovery still good while allowing him to have an amazing pressure game,

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Im not sure if you could somehow make only aerials cancel his jump, making his recovery still good while allowing him to have an amazing pressure game,
Let's make him break shields right? Honestly, he plays slightly different but he's almost the same as vbrawl, which I'm fine with. Dsmash being sexy and dtilt gimps are a plus, not to mention an OoS game with lowered drop and better dsmash.

Djc gimps more than helps. Egg recovery only works if momentum is going in the direction of recovery. It's just not effective.

However, I think they should spice things up with the egg lay gimp again.

D

Deleted member

Egg lay was never a gimp.

Yoshi was only able to break shields in 64, cuz of higher shieldstun+0 lag on dair. He wont be able to, just pressure with djc dair to utilt, i would imagine that would be nice.

While everyone else feels sped up in general, yoshi doesnt. but i dont care i dont main him in Brawl+, if you guys like him how he is so be it.

I think he would be a lot more dangerous and a lot more fun with DJC aerials(not airdodge).
As of now, hes mid tier at best, he doesnt have anything really spectacular at this point, and just like vbrawl, he falls victim to mediocrity in many areas.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
i think hes top tier... good thing i mained him in vbrawl... now i main him. so many people go to whomever is best.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I know we arent supposed to talk about buffs or nerfs. But I just wanted to clear something up. DJC for Yoshi has already been discussed but no final decision has been made on whether or not we should pursue it. If we were to add it we would find some way to make it optional whenever you double jump. For example, holding the jump button would make it so you DJC but if you just tap it you would do the rising aerial or vise versa.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Egg lay was never a gimp.

Yoshi was only able to break shields in 64, cuz of higher shieldstun+0 lag on dair. He wont be able to, just pressure with djc dair to utilt, i would imagine that would be nice.

While everyone else feels sped up in general, yoshi doesnt. but i dont care i dont main him in Brawl+, if you guys like him how he is so be it.

I think he would be a lot more dangerous and a lot more fun with DJC aerials(not airdodge).
As of now, hes mid tier at best, he doesnt have anything really spectacular at this point, and just like vbrawl, he falls victim to mediocrity in many areas.
64? Or maybe I never just broke out in time. Either way, sets up a fun edgeguard.

Meta Marth

Smash Apprentice
On the whole, I love Yoshi+. For me, it's way easier to combo with him than a lot of characters. In vBrawl, I played him for fun, but now I may actually main him

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman

very very much qft, he can't even lead into anything interesting like spikes or forward smashes, his only kill is still upair, hes exactly the same as vbrawl yoshi and i really can't stand to play him in brawl + with everyone else new and shiny :(

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
very very much qft, he can't even lead into anything interesting like spikes or forward smashes, his only kill is still upair, hes exactly the same as vbrawl yoshi and i really can't stand to play him in brawl + with everyone else new and shiny :(
Yoshi is exactly the same, none of his combos lead to kill moves. Dsmash punishing kills does help though. Though I do agree, Yoshi is exactly the same and everyone is new and shiny, except Zss

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, its nice to see dsmash able to kill again, but its still not very impressive when you cant combo into a kill like everyone else can :(
Maybe if the stars were given some decent hitstun..

Desire

Smash Journeyman
On the whole, I love Yoshi+. For me, it's way easier to combo with him than a lot of characters. In vBrawl, I played him for fun, but now I may actually main him
LOL galaxy. That's just in me, the worst dl player in smash boards. You won't do those combos won't work on player who knows how to di.

:) <3

Trojan Donkey

Smash Cadet
Yoshi's my favourite character in Brawl! When i played Yoshi the first time, i have difficulty in controlling him. Now, he is my main. His moves are good enough for me. Not to mention his DAir (flutter kick) and his DownB which is good for launching those that has high damage and to smash those crowd below. It's a little puzzling knowing that he is a heavyweight, yet moves fast both in the air or on the ground.

Still having difficulty though as i overused his second jump meaning only the egg toss is left to save himself (which is not really a good recovery move).

Top Bottom