• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Tournament Results: End of an Era, A New Beginning? *updated August 19th

.Marik

is a social misfit
Once you learn Lucario's Aura Sphere spam gimmicks, you should be fine.

57:43 Lucario's favour at the most.

D

Deleted member

Marth Rob Lucario vs Yoshi is so bad...I tried using Falco against them (40:60 is better than yoshis like 30:70)

Obviously the majority of the matchups pretty bad but I still feel ones that arent in our favor are winnable...we just have to work a lot harder to win and build damage by using mindgames and unsafe stuff vs. snake ftilting for 21% or top tiers doing 10-17% dmg throws
All 3 of those matchups are much better than that.

Also, i think people have to find a balance between playing super campy and "safe" (which is kind of untrue, because playing a reactionary style that generally goes with camping is a lot easier to exploit, which is why im confident to money match most yoshis with falcon and will win) and playing unsafe even if you can get off sick combos (like i used to play).
Now i play a mixture of the two, and ive improved a lot.

Oh.

Smash Apprentice
Well someone show me a vid of how a Yoshi effectively fights marth/rob/lucario

I have difficulty killing all three if theyre playing smart and safe...I get kills on snake and d3 easier than all those characters

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Never try for the kill vs. those characters. Just gay them until they die.

Marth: Camp, once you get a good hit in, go with the momentum, then reset. As far as killing goes, try the edge guard set up, egg > Punish hitstun/airdodge.

Lucario: hang out around midrange, try to punish his attacks, juggle him, edge guard him with set up. Play carefully.

ROB: Midrange again, try to snag the gyro, then camp with it. Juggle ROB well,it's easy to keep momentum on him. Edge guard him with egg set up, or super jump, depending on where he is.

Bad keyboard is bad, so I'm not gonna get real specific.

Sharky

Smash Master
this is true. Marth in particular takes some extreme patience just to get hits on =/ lol

edit: so it turns out this local tourney I'm going to tomorrow will have snakeee shadow and dmbrandon at it. And Snakeee switched to MK.

tough bracket. =X

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
So I'm finally getting back into the smash scene tomorrow after a 4 month hiatus. Only problem is M2K is gonna be there. :( Will report Sunday on how I did.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
this is true. Marth in particular takes some extreme patience just to get hits on =/ lol

edit: so it turns out this local tourney I'm going to tomorrow will have snakeee shadow and dmbrandon at it. And Snakeee switched to MK.

tough bracket. =X
Uh oh, watch out for them. Pride taught them to play against Yoshi, ESPECIALLY dm. Though playing dm is cool, since he's like Superknight, not Metagay.

I played Shadow and if you play him, he usually CPs somebody against you and doesn't go all MK. At least that's how it happened when I played him. He went Falco after MK first round. He's really good with a lot of characters, though. @_@

You should come to one of our small locals sometime Sharky. You can have a 20 man tournament with the top 3 spots resembling Pound 4 results. =P

So I'm finally getting back into the smash scene tomorrow after a 4 month hiatus. Only problem is M2K is gonna be there. :( Will report Sunday on how I did.
Play against M2K. Do it. It doesn't even matter when or how, just get a friendly in at least.

Sharky

Smash Master
well I mean I've played snakeee's MK a few times already, I do ok I guess. Snakeee learned pretty quickly how to gay Yoshi, though. And yeah, I've heard of dmbrandon's yoshi reputation lol. Should be a **** good learning experience, though. I'm excited, I gotta admit. =D

edit: those locals sound pretty fun actually delta haha. The thing is though I need rides to get anywhere. Being broke sucks =/

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Dude. February 6th. Holy House 3. Bloomington, Indiana. Go. I Don't Care If It Might Possibly Be A Long Drive For You, I'm Driving 3 Hours To Go.
I would, but that is the day before the Super Bowl and I have a few friends coming back from their various colleges. I'm gonna be hanging out with them that weekend, sorry mate. On a seperate note, are you still playing Yoshi or are you using a new character?

Airborne

Smash Lord
why you still think i'm on these boards, son?!?!?! and i've been picking up falco, but still working on my yoshi until he is top notch, then i'm gonna double main possibly. i'mma get better than j00. >:D

D

Deleted member

Isnt he unranked in NJ
lolol

Just wondering btw, i dont really know how good he is, i know he did ok at pound.

Sharky

Smash Master
Snakee and dmbrandon arent that good tho...
XD
lmao u mad

So I actually got 9th at this thing. Crazy huh, my best tournament showing since coming back was at the one with the biggest competition.

DM was tiertrashing as usual, but he's pretty chill otherwise. I got 2 stocked with a high percentage (not including his trashy SD as I was dying), I'm pretty **** satisfied. I almost beat Cura too, and he normally wrecks me (hate IC and marth lol) I'll post a legit results listing later. San's Ike completely wrecked DMBrandon btw. Tooooo epic lmao.

oh yeah, 4th in teams, for the 3rd time in a row, granted with better competition this time.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
lmao u mad

So I actually got 9th at this thing. Crazy huh, my best tournament showing since coming back was at the one with the biggest competition.

DM was tiertrashing as usual, but he's pretty chill otherwise. I got 2 stocked with a high percentage (not including his trashy SD as I was dying), I'm pretty **** satisfied. I almost beat Cura too, and he normally wrecks me (hate IC and marth lol) I'll post a legit results listing later. San's Ike completely wrecked DMBrandon btw. Tooooo epic lmao.
Lol, your first encounter with DM is very similar to mine.

Get 2 stock by him Sding? Check
Get ***** otherwise? Check
Low Tier trashing? Check.

Still, he's a cool guy. XD

Sharky

Smash Master
hehehehe yeah. well it was aaaaaaactually a one stock including him SD'ing, and on battlefield. meh, I just did it for the experience, he was nice enough to critique me too, he basically said I played the match-up too much to the book and need to try out crazy different stuff more often.

lmao he also said his stomping of polter was so bad he was talking to someone else while playing not even looking at the screen half the time. sorry polt XD

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yeah, he knows the match up really well. You can't play it in a comfortable manner. I couldn't adapt to it at all and got *****. @_@

I'm much better against the more traditional MK style.

Poor Polt. DM is like, the Yoshi slaughterer.

Sharky

Smash Master
well I mean his MK wasn't all that different from the ones I play around here, but he definitely adapted better than any other one I played.

I just wish I could have played shadow as well. =(

edit: well actually I guess snakeee adapted really well too, but he hates playing the mu the way it should be, he says it's super boring, which it is, to be fair. lol

Sharky

Smash Master
well he plays snakeee all the time when they're both in the city so that had an influence on snakeee's mk a little. He is unique for sure, but I can see some similarities as well.

Oh.

Smash Apprentice
My experience with Dmbrandon

Pound 4 pools - round 1

*DMbrandon 2 & 3 stocks everyone in my pool with ease, 2-0s everyone except one*

DM: WHOS NEXT
Me: Me
DM: I get to play everyone in a row cause I'm important. I'm one of "those" people. I have to go commentate afterwards. I'm a jerk.
Me: Cool *picks Yoshi*
DM: You know Pride?
Me: No
DM: He's a good Yoshi *Stage strike to...Yoshis?*
Me: *Plays flawless, ****ing sexy, perfect Yoshi minus all the mistakes I was making*
DM: I like this guy. He's playing the matchup like he's supposed to *Gimps me at 30%, 2 stocks me*

I still got 2 stocked twice lol but he said I had a pretty good Yoshi

I'd say he's by far the best MK i've played on the PLANET

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Just got back from tourney, didn't do so hot. Made it out of pools but then got ***** by a Lucario and Dedede respectively to not make it very far. I think I got 25th out of 53, will post results when they are up.

Hopfully I'll be able to meet with some people around me to play consistantly and get better. Also, Polter, a lot of people here played you at Pound 4 and said you were very good, so congrats mate. Lil B also got a few props.

Finally, I played a few friendlies against M2K. He's pretty good, the biggest problem was getting gimped when off the stage.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Just got back from tourney, didn't do so hot. Made it out of pools but then got ***** by a Lucario and Dedede respectively to not make it very far. I think I got 25th out of 53, will post results when they are up.

Hopfully I'll be able to meet with some people around me to play consistantly and get better. Also, Polter, a lot of people here played you at Pound 4 and said you were very good, so congrats mate. Lil B also got a few props.

Finally, I played a few friendlies against M2K. He's pretty good, the biggest problem was getting gimped when off the stage.
Yeah i saw the results. granted, you lost to fonz, whom I gave quite a bit of yoshi experience while you were gone, and Fizzle, whom I've heard came out of the ****ing blue. All that matters is that you made it out of pools, because that was obviously a tough-*** tournament. Btw, there's like 3 tournies in a row coming up in March or something, one in fairfield (where we had to play dittos in pools...****, you, Overswarm <3 namesearch), one in cincy, and the first one is actually in lexington. Check 'em out, Nick.

And about those M2K matches.... were they recorded? I propose we get back on topic about how to mix-up recovery against metaknight.

edit: correction. 4 tournies in a row, first one being nope's monthly, then cincy, then fairfield, and last being lexington. every saturday in March.

D

Deleted member

Haha i bet i can beat DMbrandon

You guys prolly only give him experience on how to power shield eggs cuz thats all EC yoshis do

/trashtalk =P

Top Bottom