• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
Is that Yoshidora?
Cause 10 seconds in and he's already tried 2 B-reverse attempts and thrown 5 eggs.
Yup thats Yoshidora Sinister, its the same 3DS ID name, and unless you can copy ID names which i dont see a reason why would you copy someone elses name, character and even playstyle, but holy dang i never realized the kill potential of Bair, it defeated peach at just barely 130% which is kind of crazy, im going to have to use that move more often now hehe, that and getting used to the B-reversals, there kind of hard to pull off on the 3Ds, but thanks for sharing the video CandyCakes

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
k so it's Yoshidora.
Also just call me slush like back then dyz lol

Anyways, Bair became a kill move yes but it's kinda sorta a move you have to be unpredictable with or really lucky to kill with the third hit of it since the first and second spikes for some odd reason.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
k so it's Yoshidora.
Also just call me slush like back then dyz lol

Anyways, Bair became a kill move yes but it's kinda sorta a move you have to be unpredictable with or really lucky to kill with the third hit of it since the first and second spikes for some odd reason.
heheh alright Slush, i actually cant remember clearly back in the day, but starting almost a new hear, its still nice to see you again and most of other guys from the good ol` times,

wait really they spike? i for some reason havent used Bair in this new game, which is funny because it was my basic approach in almost all of my Brawl fights, i guess because of the long break from Smash i just lost a few habbits, or because its now only a 3 hit, which i have to be really precise to even hit anything with it now, and like you said it seems to be a difficult move to connect now, oh wells maybe i will post some more Yoshi fights i had recently :3

CandyCakes

Banned via Warnings
As a peach main and yoshi as my secondary the matchup is in yoshis favor it's hard for peach to get in

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Pinball is right. I love bouncing opponents off the stage into an UAir. It's so satisfying.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTMSTVzrlk8
Can we call the Egg Toss -> FAir -> UAir combo just "Pinball"?
Pretty pleaaase! <3 8D
hehe this is a pretty funny video, i actually have done something similar, but i wasnt aware i could set it up with an egg toss, i usually just get lucky with Fair -> Uair and manage to kill and i have like this inconsistant combo with DThrow -> Uair, but this was awesome to see, im going to try to get some Pinball in my playstyle and maybe videos too hehe

fill

20EggsEggs
from tourney locator, there's more on their page but here's Awestin's yoshi

Last edited:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I don't know, that Dedede looked really confused.
Didn't really like the games since he kept suiciding and eating free eggs n stuff.

Fuzzio

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3995-6678-6272
First outing for the Wii U version and played against Mega Man in the finals of a local tourney. Some obvious mistakes (little too much down-b), but would enjoy any comments people have.

Can't post links >_>.

youtube.com/watch?v=9S_ZLO73TK4

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I don't say that too often, but you are throwing way too many eggs.
Egg Toss is one of the worst tools if your enemy is approaching you all the time and always near you.
It's better at keeping distance or approaching by yourself, as it gives you the opportunity to set frametraps.

Otherwise it seems like your reaction is sometimes a bit slow.
Try keeping an eye on your enemy, rather than the space around you, as it helps you preparing for incoming threats more easily.
Your focus and eyes should always be on your enemy, while you controlling your own character by not looking directly at him.

As long as you got enough distance, you don't need to focus on yourself but rather on the enemy to make him eat eggs.
As he approaches from the air, try shielding any attacks and punish him with Up Tilt, USmash or if he used a fastfall aerial, with a well set groundpound out of shield.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
I like the way this oscy guy from japan plays more than Yoshidora although there still is alot of egg toss,
please ignore the space between www. and youtube they wont let me post links since im new
www. youtube.com/watch?v=rHyRvhPGCK8
www. youtube.com/watch?v=ufazmHxSxx8

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Heya, so I'm gonna be posting this here and in the Social thread. This was a combo I got on a random viewer who was playing Little Mac, it's more entertaining than realistic, as he wasn't very great. I just thought it was awesome bringing someone to 80% like this.

Apologies for the crappy twitch to youtube quality, but yeah, this is what I have. :3

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I've been maining Yoshi and have a bunch of replays posted. My playlist starts with a really, really short match...

Most of these involve something crazy happening (they're pointed out in the video descriptions), but not all of them feature Yoshi. The most notable ones are:

-Both vs. Little Macs (including the one this link goes to) fall to some poor egg drop handling
-vs. Luigi ends with a daring dair
-vs. Samus looks bad until I hit exactly 100%, and then she never lands another hit. Both kills end with egg -> egg -> fair, even though the second fair doesn't actually connect.

I can update with direct links later if preferred - I'm not exactly supposed to be trolling around on Youtube right now!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
My Yoshi vs Diddy in winners, vs Sonic in losers, and vs ZSS in grand finals: http://www.twitch.tv/safgc/v/3590310 Skip to 3:10:20 (be aware at around 3:21:40 the commentator thought I said Dair had invincibility and got confused because I told him earlier that day about his Usmash invincibility. Sounds harsh but, lots of moments where they don't really know what they're talking about)

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Is it me or Yoshidora play a really really defensive style ?
He never really commit to a combo / attack and just wait for people to come at him.

I know that against some character you don't have to approach but he always does 1-2 hit then run away.
Is it really the optimal play of yoshi or just his style ? can he be played with other styles / more aggresive ?

Shiri

Smash Chump
You can probably play more aggressively if your opponent isn't very smart or their character isn't equipped to handle that.

Yoshi is all commitment so rushing in is probably the least effective way to play him. As for running ALL the time, it's a matter of choice. Technically, as long as you take no risks and manage to hold the life lead, your chances of losing drastically diminish. That obviously doesn't always pan out, but it's not a bad way to approach matchups with a character like Yoshi.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I prefer Yoshi because he's balanced enough to play offensive and defensive games very well, and as such he's one of the most adaptable characters in the roster. Personally, I like to play aggressively with him, as his speed and air mobility give him great chase and he excels at keeping an opponent off-balance - but there is a fine line where it becomes detrimental. Point in case, he has a great dash attack, but over-using it can be a pain, and his jump-ins tend to be very predictable (but you can usually get lucky with dair). You just have to experiment to find the right balance for you.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
First outing for the Wii U version and played against Mega Man in the finals of a local tourney. Some obvious mistakes (little too much down-b), but would enjoy any comments people have.

Can't post links >_>.

youtube.com/watch?v=9S_ZLO73TK4
Think before you attack. All of Yoshi's moves, especially the aerials, have some landing lag (not Peach improper spaced Fair amount, but some). On the Galaxy stage/3rd match I'd see you just attack at the weirdest times. For example, you'd bicycle kick when he is nowhere near you and on the other side of the stage. Another time you came down near him and right before landing you bicycle kicked which ended with landing lag and him punishing you.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Dude, that play made me jealous. You have more to teach me than I have to teach you!

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Would need to see a few more vids, but nice job locking down WFT. I don't see any major mistakes, but I think it'd be helpful to incorporate ETS and B reversals into your game. A plus is your use of retreating jump -> Nair at 0:35 and 1:21, a solid option for avoiding attacks and then punishing them for it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Of course the ledgeplay was bad, but you need to make it a habit to count your egg tosses and not using lingering moves like Nair off stage while under the ledge cause that puts you in a dangerous situation.

Top Bottom