• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

yoshi sucks...heres why

Zeldar2992

Smash Rookie
Tiers are for queers...:p No character really sucks, it's just people have personal preference. I played Yoshi just last night for the heck of it. And I thought he was pretty darn good. Besides, how many characters do you know that can swallow Ganondorf, trap him in an egg and rack up some serious damage? I think people keep forgetting about Yoshi's B move. If you can trap an enemy and rack up the damage, Yoshi's not too bad. Besides, Yoshi's Up-B now gives him a little bit of air, but not much. I think his major drawback is the side-b. If you aren't paying attention, you can fall right off the stage. (My CPU's do this in Classic and All-Star mode all the time.) Besides, if we're all "NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!" then it stops being Smash Bros. and "NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!" So give Yoshi a break.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Tiers are for queers...:p No character really sucks, it's just people have personal preference. I played Yoshi just last night for the heck of it. And I thought he was pretty darn good. Besides, how many characters do you know that can swallow Ganondorf, trap him in an egg and rack up some serious damage? I think people keep forgetting about Yoshi's B move. If you can trap an enemy and rack up the damage, Yoshi's not too bad. Besides, Yoshi's Up-B now gives him a little bit of air, but not much. I think his major drawback is the side-b. If you aren't paying attention, you can fall right off the stage. (My CPU's do this in Classic and All-Star mode all the time.) Besides, if we're all "NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!" then it stops being Smash Bros. and "NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!" So give Yoshi a break.
Fox has Fallen.

Also, if the opponent mashes buttons, you have enough time to do one Uair while the opponent is in the egg, and that's only if they DI so that you can hit them with it. 13% total fresh IIRC.

Zeldar2992

Smash Rookie
Fox has Fallen.

Seriously. Yoshi is just another poor character people tend to overlook. Look at his roll in Subspace Emissary. It's just as important as Fox's and Mario's. Heck, he was teamed up with Link! True, I don't always choose him in a brawl or SSE, but it's not like I won't play with him. The only person I refuse to play of my own free will is Wario. Sorry Wario fans, but I just don't like him.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Then why isn't he winning? Yoshi has the lowest number of recorded wins out of everyone. Are you telling me that every single one of the Yoshi players putting themselves out there are absolute garbage and all the good ones are just "hiding" somewhere for some unexplained reason? No one will have any respect for Yoshi unless the players get out and start making it happen. This isn't some irrational hate towards Yoshi out of spite. Have a look over on the falcon/sonic/ganondorf boards and you'll see it's exactly the same. It doesn't matter how "good" your character is if nobody can win with him.
He isnt winning because there are just some characters that're better than Yoshi and have more advantages.
Thats not to say he sucks because every character has potential if exploited right.
Also keep in mind this game is new. Some people could still be adapting.

Zeldar2992

Smash Rookie
That is totally true. Every character has the potential to be the best. It's just the pros decide who's the best of all of them, and we of course believe they're right. If Yoshi didn't have any potential, why is he in all three games then? Sorry to bring up the tier list thing again, but I thought Mewtwo was awesome in Melee. I think people can pick their mains and they can keep 'em that way because if they like their main then whatever character they're good with should be the main, no questions asked. 'Nuff said.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
And the rest of them in that vein of thought are very interesting as well. People need to watch this...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Last place at a singles tournament on Saturday.

Third place at a teams tournament on Saturday.

Second place at a singles tournament on Sunday.

First place at a teams tournament on Sunday.

Yoshi is pretty solid. Just be smart and don't get gayed and you'll be fine.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
yup, but knowing weaknesses and putting them as a priority to learning strenghths will help, since we already know all of his currently discovered strengths

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Well I believe Gimpyfish. Maybe I have overreacted on what I have done. But it is the trolling on the Yoshi boards that angers me and making me act like this. I mean, look at the title of this thread. The first thing that comes to most people's head when they see that is spam/troll/hate for no particular reason. It has angered me and caused me to behave like this and for that, I am sorry.

I will take Gimpy's advices and hope to use them for when I get Brawl.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmmm, well actually I've only rolled off to my death once. and it was because I was trying to throw an egg and watched my opponent rather than me, but as long as you watch yoshi you'll never ever roll off the edge in the roll.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Everyone who has that avatar seems to be a total dickwad...
That might have just been me whenever I got frustrated when I see people trolling at Yoshi. But now that I have watched Gimpy's video about character weaknesses, I have followed his way and became a better person. It's just those who ***** about things that are not such a big deal and my anger is what made me act like a dickwad to people who said "Yoshi is Bottom Tier." I just want the Yoshi mains to be heard but they never have been.

I mean I even saw someone say "Despite what the mains say, Yoshi is at bottom." It's as if they know Brawl Yoshi more than the mains, which angered me.

Link879

Smash Rookie
YOSHI RULES

Smashes are strong, eggs, powerfull shield and great jump
what do you need more!

But i don't think there is a bottom and top, that's so stupid!
just play with the char. you like the most !!!

Fawriel

Smash Master
But i don't think there is a bottom and top, that's so stupid!
No, no it really isn't. ^^;

Well, I'm glad you guys received the video well. It's just a fact that Yoshi doesn't have nearly as much going for him as a lot of other characters.
As for myself, I consider Yoshi to be among the technically worst characters... but I think he's not past the point where characters can be considered "unusable".
He shares a lot of traits with the bottom characters - no reliable kill moves, no reliable combos, a couple of laggy attacks...
On the other hand, he does have the ability to approach with his bair and some other moves. The really horrible characters are unusable against the better ones because they can't even get close to them... but Yoshi is just about fast enough and has enough range with the bair that he can usually manage to get some hits in.
He's also not easy to kill, and though his recovery can probably be gimped, it can also be quite effective, and similarly, his kill and damage moves are unreliable, but they are there...

Point is, Yoshi is very unreliable, but I think he doesn't go down easily after a few mistakes like some others do and his potential can be used if the player has enough dedication and smarts (and... patience).
So yeah.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Yoshi was hard to use in Melee, but in Brawl they really fine tuned him up. Glad they did because Yoshi is my favorite character.

Yoshi personally doesn't suck though. He's got the best Uair in the game, due to Super Armor protection. Not just that but he can get height with his DJ, or even the Super Jump, as well as the newly discovered infinite jump. His recovery is better now, though, I still wish it was tuned up more to the comparison of Metaknights and Pits, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. His Bair is great for setting up combos, and egg roll is tuned up for the less bounce and more protection. Yoshi has twice the shield of any other character, and tossing egg projectiles is always fun. Why would you assume he sucks? Yes he's low on the tiers, but Yoshi is still one of the best characters in the game if used correctly. This is just my philosophy though.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Yoshi was probably the most technical character in melee... DJCing was pretty ridiculous, and was much more difficult to do consistently then waveshining.. you could also do it to any chacter.. but he was so easily gayed that he was basically trash >_>; Fumi just had good mindgames.

Amide

Smash Lord
He's my worst character, I suck with him. But Yoshi doesn't suck. Maybe low-mid tier.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Yeah. Yoshi wasn't good in Melee. Though, that doesn't mean it's the same way with him in Brawl. Yoshi's improved, and he's gotten a lot of additions. He got major changes, for the better. I like it. haha.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
I disagree.. they nerfed him hardcore...

If Yoshi could DJC in brawl he would be top tier hands down.
Why exactly? I know it helped him combo in Melee, but I doubt he would be able to combo any better in Brawl with it.

It would also ruin his recovery, since he wouldn't be able to protect himself with aerials, and I'm pretty sure the new air dodge would cancel his double jump too, leaving him super vulnerable to footstool spiking and everything else.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
I'm sure you could still DJAD even w/ DJCing... this would also allow yoshi to Uair combo EVERYONE in the game MUCH better/effective in comparison to the other toons in the game.. Falling Uair-->DJC Uair is fricking stupid in melee.. and if he had that kind of combo ability in brawl [without the use of Utilt >_>] he would be possibly broken.. Ness/Lucus would be even better too.. Lucario would be even better...

Personally i feel that the loss of the DJC was a horrible decision on Nintendo's part...

old king coal

Smash Journeyman
im sorry but the truth is yoshi isnt that good. someone can be good with yoshi, but that doesn't make him good. take gimpyfish for example. bowser isn't good, but he is good with bowser. the point is that yoshi's disadvantages outweight his advantages, and he is nearly impossible to play at a competitve level because of this.

Fawriel

Smash Master
What Ch0zen0ne said. I mean, really, let's try compiling a bunch of buffs and nerfs Yoshi received. I'm only going by my limited knowledge here, so feel free to correct me and add stuff.

Buffs:
- An up-b that helps make the recovery less unreliable (the physics in general also work well with it now).
- Increased range on the bair and uair.
- Some buffs to down-b.

Nerfs:
- Less tank-frames on DJ.
- No DJC.
- Fair doesn't always spike, non-spike is a weak(?) attack.
- DSmash has no KO power except against a featherweight right next to the ledge on high-damage maybe.
- Less range on FSmash.
- Less damage and KO-power to dair.
- Unable to l-cancel dair, fair and nair.

Seriously? Yoshi was extremely easy to KO in Melee, but he had a crapload of potential. He was nerfed. =/

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Please, we have been through this discussion about the DJC situation and the result was buff (and I mean for no DJC).

There are more smash forums than just this forum so you might find more or better info on Yoshi and please stop making "No DJC" topic a big deal because it is a buff. plus Yoshi overall has been buffed, not nerfed.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
that is one thing I do not know. I want this thread closed please. The arguments and hate is gonna get worse if we do not close this soon.

Krooton

Smash Cadet
I love Yoshi I think he's a great character but he just ain't the character for me. He's one of my best in Melee and my best in 64 but in Brawl I'm all for Jigglypuff and Diddy Kong

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
and noone say: yoshi isnt good or bad. people who play him are good or bad.
He ISN'T good or bad. He has less potential than some characters, but that doesn't make him BAD. He has a playstyle that one player may adjust to better than another player.
Look at a noob who just picked up Snake. But he gets beat by everybody... that is about the person who plays him, regardless of how good the character is.
Now look at, I dunno, Gimpyfish, playing an obviously bad character (Bowser) but managing to beat better characters.

that is just plain stupid
no u

Fawriel

Smash Master
Now look at, I dunno, Gimpyfish, playing an obviously bad character (Bowser) but managing to beat better characters.
You do know you're talking about a different game there? ;P

Now, pidgey. You are overreacting. Saying that Yoshi is a bad character (in comparison to other available characters and only in regard to his fighting prowess) is not "hate", it's just an objective statement.

Top Bottom