• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Just a few random things on my mind:

I've been incorporating B-reversals into my game more often and I'm really liking the results. It really catches people off guard. Unfortunately, it can be tricky to use consistently online. I wish I had a sparring partner for offline matches.

I wish Yoshi had a tongue tether recovery.

I also wish we could use orange and white yoshi colors like in MK8. It silly that Sakurai felt he had to stop at 8 colors. White would be the bomb. Everyone knows black and white are rare color variants in the Yoshi species. ;)

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Welcome @ChaoticMarin and @wm1026 to the Yoshi boards.
I really hate Yoshi's new Bair.
His Bair is workable, but yeah I agree SH Bair is pretty garbage due to end lag. However, its now a killing move which I guess maybe balances out.
On the flipside, I really love his Fair/Dair now.
Fair and Dair both received nice buffs. I find that I use Fair a lot more frequently to approach and kill with as compared to Brawl. SH/FH Dair both feel nice and racks up dat %.

I'm not a big fan of Egg Lay in this game.
It would be pretty cool if we had the tip of tongue bring them in like in Brawl, and it's sad that it got patched to be slower. I like it though because it sets up your opponent for more damage and death. Egg lay while you're recovering when they're by the edge to send them plummeting to their death. Or you can time/predict it that when they release you can KO them with a grounded DownB or Usmash.

Pivot Grab...RIP. I almost never want to use this move again. On the other hand, Standing Grab has been improved.
Yes agreed, pivot grab RIP. It was one of Yoshi's main tools for Brawl, but with the sluggish ending lag, can open Yoshi up for punishment.

The new Usmash is... I dunno. I like the old one better because it consistently hit both sides, and this new one doesn't feel any faster/stronger, so meh.
It feels much more powerful and I think covers more distance(?). OoS Usmash and dashing jump cancelled Usmash is nasty.

Yoshi Bomb is love.
Yoshi bomb is life.

New Eggs are AMAZING. They also make Diddy's bananas disappear when they're on the ground, if we hit one with an egg.
Yup they're much more reliable and have a better arc to them! Thank you for the tip too.

THE NEW SHIELD MAKES ME MOIST.

:awesome:
Overall, I think Yoshi's defensive tools have been toned down, and that he's been given the tools of a real character to compensate, and these new tools are GOOD.
Agreed! Yoshi has been given a boost to the higher tiers and I like it!
:4sheik:
**** this character. What is end lag. What is being able to punish. What is winning neutral.

I firmly believe that we cannot deal with this character (well), and that honestly, nobody really can. Sheik's neutral game is OPPRESSIVE. The attacks are too fast, they have too little end lag to punish, and what we can punish, the punish usually isn't severe enough to make up the difference in exchanges we're losing.

But really, it felt like I was playing against MK all over again. The lack of lag, the lack of being able to punish, the suffocating amount of hitboxes being thrown my way, the combos, the edge guards, the frame traps, it was all too real. We're a better character now, so I could hold my own, but I don't want to compete in a world where this character exists. If someone knows what can be done in this match up, please let me know.
Sheik is a monster in this game, especially if you've played against her customs (hint: even more not fun!). There's so much you have to respect: Fair, Bouncing Fish, recovery, etc. She is fast and seems almost unpunishable. Its an uphill battle against her.

Last edited:

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Egg Lay is a very fun tool, though it would be nice if it was a little faater and had the range of Yoshi's grab. I've gotten many kills egg laying off the stage and then chasing the egg to hit the opponent with an fair or bair as soon as they escape. You either get a meteor smash or a stage spike, which almost always results in a very satisfying KO.

On the subject of satisfying KOs, I've gotten a couple shield breaks on Jigglypuff, which is just hilarious!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Christmas passed and I'm sure a lot of you kiddies got a wii u the game or an adapter. Who wants to join the skype group to use that for practice?
Yeah Yoshi dittos suck, but we can prolly switch around here or there.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
As I say ad nauseum, I don't have my WiiU at the moment, and my secondaries (Jiggs, Luigi, Pacman, Day3 Diddy for learning how to fight Diddy) are god-awful. But yeah, sure, I'll hit up the skype chat. Sounds like a hoot. Message me the details?

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Adapter still sold out everywhere as scalpers collect every available one this side of NA. I just wanna play with my GC controller. Its the only thing stopping me from playing this game all the time atm.

EDIT: It was a figure of speech slush lol "Ad nauseum" = all the time more or less

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I gave my Yoshi amiibo, Mr. Decoy, Lucina's Vampire Brawn Badge so he could heal by eating the opponent. He's fun to fight against now, but I hope I haven't lost the equipment effect forever by doing that.

FlutteringYosh

Smash Rookie
Christmas passed and I'm sure a lot of you kiddies got a wii u the game or an adapter. Who wants to join the skype group to use that for practice?
Yeah Yoshi dittos suck, but we can prolly switch around here or there.
I don't have my wii u yet, but I'd love to join the group :) I really want to improve. I'll message you my email.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I just realized that I don't even have one friend registration from anyone here.

Anyone who doesn't want to rip my throat out by now, my NNID is KarmaPilcrow.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
I'd like to join too, I'll be getting my Wii U in a week or so. I'll be listed as Regralht, or RMNYF Regralht.

SmashBongs

Smash Rookie
NNID
JaryMane
Hey everyone, Im new to the forums and new to competitive smash, but I've played since smash 64. i played melee and not much of brawl but yoshi has always been my goto character.. hopefully some of you other yoshi mains will add me and i can learn a thing or two from you.. My wii u NN ID is : "JaryMane" let me know if you add me

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
Hello there SmashBongs welcome. Glad you stuck with Yoshi. He's a beast in this game.

555mars

Smash Rookie
Hey, new to this game, but I really enjoy paying Yoshi atm and certainly want to main him. I've heard of his beast-ness, and also really like him. Quick question: What are Yoshi's worst matchups? I feel this is something I should know if I am to stick with him.

Edit: what is this skype group

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Hey, new to this game, but I really enjoy paying Yoshi atm and certainly want to main him. I've heard of his beast-ness, and also really like him. Quick question: What are Yoshi's worst matchups? I feel this is something I should know if I am to stick with him.

Edit: what is this skype group
Shiek. Pretty much every one agree's that she's Yoshi's worst matchup in this game. She has enough speed to evade our eggs and needles are annoying to deal with.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Weird, Shiek's one of the few characters that I don't have that much trouble with...(I don't have a skype, btw.)

Last edited:

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Has anybody been able to shield drop with yoshi? I do it with every other character but yoshi

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
I can do it somewhat consistent with almost every character but just can't get it with yoshi. I'll keep playing around with it.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Anybody playing Yoshi in teams yet? I'm not nearly as experienced in teams for this game yet (obv), but I'm not liking teams Yoshi too much in this game. Still experimenting with partners and strategies.

As for shield dropping, it does not seem possible. I've spent quite a while trying to do this. If it is possible, it's probably only possible though an exploit. SHIELD STILL HOLDING US BACK SOMEHOW UGH

I also need to provide video evidence at some point, but there was a Yoshi player in upstate New York who discovered that Yoshi's neutral air had actual armor frames on it very early in Brawl's lifespan (I think week one or two). I met with him and we discussed and played for a bit; I was able to corroborate his claim, but we were both unable to reproduce this with any sort of consistency. I figured it might be a glitch or something, but I'd given up on it being something useful. In Smash 4, however (WiiU), I've been able to produce this frequently, just not on command yet. The timing still seems very slight, but I am willing to claim that Yoshi likely has a very small window of armor on his neutral air in this game. Full disclosure, I cannot reproduce this on the 3DS.

It seems Yoshi still has misplaced roll frames, but jumping and up smash out of shield means rolling should be less of a solution to old problems anyway.

As I've been playing, I'm noticing more and more how risky Yoshi's offense is. I think I need more Egg Lay in my gameplan. Also not doing the fancy stuff yet. Gotta try more of that as well.

Pivot grab is still good. You just can't miss.

Only moves I've found that will trip are down tilt and forward air. I need to find percents for this. Ganondorf down air can trip as well, so that may be a property of all meteors at low percents. Dash grab seems to be a guaranteed followup.

Down smash still blows. Still debating on whether or not it's as bad as Brawl, but at this point I don't think it matters.

Last edited:

Depster

Smash Champion
Shield dropping was super good for us in brawl and melee... too bad it's not here again.

Last edited:

555mars

Smash Rookie
Sheik is a little annoying... but not annoying to the point of specifically needing a secondary for the matchup (probs 40-60)

And I still need the skype group aaaaaaa

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
wuts your skype name

I see you the Silent one.
Decipher the moonrunes from yonezmi's vines and others with yoshi in it plz ;;

Last edited:

ividal

Smash Cadet
Hello, fellow yoshi player here since the 64 days, hope i can play with some of you guys in the near future, and im so happy to see a lot of fellow yoshi players

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Hi ividal. Nice to have you here in the Yoshi clan.

Is it just me or are people blowing how good Shiek and Diddy are way out of proportion? This game has amazing balance compared to past Smash games. I practice on For Glory (don't diss it, there are a lot of great players on there) and I am often stunned by how good any character can be when used right. We are told characters like DK and Olimar are bad, but I have played vicious versions of both. There is no bad character.

Shiek has poor damage output and is light. Diddy has his grabs which he will often go for, so punish the inevitable attempts. His recovery is a little shaky as well. Yoshi and any other character can deal with them.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Hi ividal. Nice to have you here in the Yoshi clan.

Is it just me or are people blowing how good Shiek and Diddy are way out of proportion? This game has amazing balance compared to past Smash games. I practice on For Glory (don't diss it, there are a lot of great players on there) and I am often stunned by how good any character can be when used right. We are told characters like DK and Olimar are bad, but I have played vicious versions of both. There is no bad character.

Shiek has poor damage output and is light. Diddy has his grabs which he will often go for, so punish the inevitable attempts. His recovery is a little shaky as well. Yoshi and any other character can deal with them.
Diddy's problem is that his UAir is too safe. Its hitbox is large, can be chained into from several combos, and kills early. His problem is that one attack.

ividal

Smash Cadet
with shiek its her mobility, since it looks like agressive play can stop any yoshi

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I like when my opponent is aggressive. It's players that have rock solid defense that give my problems.

Diddy will probably get a nerf sooner or later. His Uair isn't that powerful from my experience, in terms of knockback. As a Yoshi player, I dare anyone to approach me from below. Well, not anyone, but you get the drift. ;)

Top Bottom