• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I've been drifting away from Yoshi in favor of less-prone-to-insults characters, but I've been trying to keep him up. My win rate, primarily with him and G-dubs, is around 70% over 224 matches.
lol, **** it, finally we aren't trash tier anymore.
98% For Glory win rate, i won't stop.

Fear the ****in' dinosaur!!!

Mister Green Bean

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4184-2442-5864
I have been messing around with Yoshi on For Glory and, overall, I seem to waver around a 65% win rate over ~200 matches, and I would say that I have about 75% win rate over ~150 matches with Yoshi alone, which I am steadily improving. It's been a while since I've played Yoshi, but I gave him a fair chance for my main spot and I'm glad I did. Now, if one looks at my mains, they have gone full circle.

I'm starting to get the hang of Yoshi, but I still have to improve on him more. I've self-destructed with Yoshi Bomb and Egg Roll a few more times than a Yoshi main ought. :facepalm:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I've been drifting away from Yoshi in favor of less-prone-to-insults characters, but I've been trying to keep him up. My win rate, primarily with him and G-dubs, is around 70% over 224 matches.
I recently played against someone that insulted me saying, "How's it feel like playing a character that is solely 2 moves - Eggs and Dash Attack? Yoshi takes no skill, you can just spam those 2 moves and be perfectly fine." I don't think you should really drift away from a character because people criticize you for it. If you love Yoshi, then play Yoshi and have fun with him. Forget what all the haters say. :)

That said, I do think Yoshi is overhyped. He's definitely improved, but I don't think he's like...top 3 or anything. Way too early to really know. Ima laugh though if at the end of like 5 years he'll be low tier again.

Scatz

Smash Champion
People who have played Yoshi competitively for multiple games would know that Yoshi has always been mocked or ridiculed for being irrelevant (bad) or, in this case, being braindead and OP (noob killer). They're gonna talk no matter what will happen, and if you let that kind of talk get to you, then you're probably not going to be fit for competitive play. If you aren't playing the character(s) you like, then what's the point in playing the game? If people are throwing insults at you, then tell 'em to get better. Hell, if Yoshi ends up being mediocre in this game, then tell 'em that you lost to a irrelevant character LOL.

Most people can dish it, but can't take it. Don't be one of those people.

Last edited:

Shiri

Smash Chump
WE BACK!!! Shiri da bessssssss

What's good, everybody?
awwww yisssss

Man, I remember the days when even beating people over and over again still wasn't enough to get haters to stop talking smack about bad players picking bad characters, so witnessing the turnaround recently...I just feel vindicated. It's really beautiful.

Remember, kids: For Glory is FOR GLORY.

Yeah, man. Glad you finally got to spend some time with the game. Also glad you were able to see the things I was mentioning; I don't know for sure what the future holds for the character, but I think we have a safe way forward if we all play smarter and scarier this time around. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute this time around (and many others, as well!) since Brawl wasn't my cup of tea. :]

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I recently played against someone that insulted me saying, "How's it feel like playing a character that is solely 2 moves - Eggs and Dash Attack? Yoshi takes no skill, you can just spam those 2 moves and be perfectly fine."
braindead and OP (noob killer). They're gonna talk no matter what will happen, and if you let that kind of talk get to you, then you're probably not going to be fit for competitive play.
Yeah, see, unlike you guys, I can't take what other people say. I'm weak. A slave to criticism. A doormat.

You keep telling me to just ignore them and play who I want, but that is so many leagues easier said than done.

Scatz

Smash Champion
All in steps man. It's starts mentally. Anyone can get past their issues, but it depends on how much they're willing to stop it.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yeah, see, unlike you guys, I can't take what other people say. I'm weak. A slave to criticism. A doormat.

You keep telling me to just ignore them and play who I want, but that is so many leagues easier said than done.
Problem is, by letting people walk and trample all over you, you're letting them mould you into themselves without even being aware of it basically. But, what right do they have to dictate who you use and how you enjoy the game? That decision has to be yours and yours alone, without any outside influence. It's like Scatz said, take it in steps with a positive outlook. Instead of thinking that you can't rise above and shut out these people, start thinking that you can, and will-soon enough that will become have, but you've gotta keep your spirits up. Don't ever dwell on their words.
Back in Brawl days I used to have everyone in my scene messaging me and even telling me face-to-face to drop Yoshi for a better character. We probably all got a lot of this. Dropping Yoshi was the last thing I was ever going to do, even if their comments got me down I remembered why I'm doing this, out of character love and dedication, and no matter how hard they tried they weren't going to step in-between that. If the rest of us have managed to stay with Yoshi and stay strong there's no reason you can't :)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Problem is, by letting people walk and trample all over you, you're letting them mould you into themselves without even being aware of it basically. But, what right do they have to dictate who you use and how you enjoy the game? That decision has to be yours and yours alone, without any outside influence. It's like Scatz said, take it in steps with a positive outlook. Instead of thinking that you can't rise above and shut out these people, start thinking that you can, and will-soon enough that will become have, but you've gotta keep your spirits up. Don't ever dwell on their words.
Back in Brawl days I used to have everyone in my scene messaging me and even telling me face-to-face to drop Yoshi for a better character. We probably all got a lot of this. Dropping Yoshi was the last thing I was ever going to do, even if their comments got me down I remembered why I'm doing this, out of character love and dedication, and no matter how hard they tried they weren't going to step in-between that. If the rest of us have managed to stay with Yoshi and stay strong there's no reason you can't :)
I am trying, believe me.

~Rainbow Mika

Smash Cadet
NNID
rigobfd64
3DS FC
0361-6812-0263
Yesterday, my cousin start talking about how noob-friendly Yoshi is in this game, his dash attack is just too good, buffed usmash, hard to K.O, great speed overall and a aerials with little landing lag.
I'm having a blast playing as him, but i don't think he's just that easy to play, well, compared to the dash-happy macs or countershieldbreakers lucinas in online.What do you think? Just a really solid character or spam dash attack+fair to win?

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
He might be easier now, but I wouldn't underestimate it in the slightest. He's unorthodox, and if you don't have a feel for him, you'll SD yourself miscounting your Egg Throws or get meteor'd out of nowhere.

Playing him well is VERY effective though, imo, but it's not as easy as some other good characters, especially since landing KO moves is the hard part.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
And hey, if You should ever feel like they are right with calling You a noob, scumbag, asshole or whatever: Just come over here to the Yoshi boards and be an asshole with us together.

Simply said: You aren't alone, don't You ever forget that! :)

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I would say he's moderate difficulty. He lacks braindead kill options, forcing you to be fairly smart with your neutral play. Good use of eggs is also key in a lot of matchups and that takes some skill.

Scatz

Smash Champion
If he was referring to Yoshi's previous iterations, then I would agree when it came to 64/Melee being harder.

He's still not that noob friendly because of his unorthodox double jump, and need to play smarter in neutral than some characters.

~Rainbow Mika

Smash Cadet
NNID
rigobfd64
3DS FC
0361-6812-0263
I have the same feeling, Yoshi was kinda hard to play due to his jump recovery, some techs (DJCs,DR & Parrys) and other stuff.
Now he feels like less challenging to use, but still not that easy overall, not saying that they screwed his design, so far is my 3rd favorite incarnation (1st being 64 and 2nd being P:M).

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
No character can be considered to have a "incarnation" in P:M since it's not a official game, but I get what you're saying.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
lmao, I have a friend that even complained about my brawl ganon once saying his fair and Dair were to stronk.

Unexperienced players will always complain about your character no matter if he's good or bad. Just accept it.

w4mpah

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble using eggs correctly. Would it be possible for you guys to give me kind of a rundown on how to use them? Both dumbed down and technical would be helpful. Thank you

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
What exactly are you having trouble with? I'm going to assume aiming, you can throw them further by holding down the B button and go for a shorter throw by only tapping the button. At the beginning of the move is when you can aim it. You're best off playing around with it in training mode to get a feel for them. This applies to both grounded and airborne egg throws.

w4mpah

Smash Rookie
I was having trouble with that but i am also wondering what type of situations it is best used in.

I'm gonna hit up training right now.

Nordal

Smash Lord
Currently in Winners Finals for a Norcal Wifi 64-man bracket tournament. Not like it matters, but if anyone cares you guys do.

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
Been maining Yoshi on and off since release, but gonna stick with him for the forseeable future. So with that, what's up fellow Egg-Throwing Smashers? X3

Blackyoshika?

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2653-2476
Always start your first egg from dead center top then angle it appropriately from there, this will prevent unnecessary egg rolls at first, the pressure on special button affects range, just don't give it up and get your ass handed to the computer where your only priority is launching eggs, soon you will be camping people and making returning to the stage a very painful experience for others, it will be second nature. This is probably yoshis most important move in my opinion. Heavy players can't even get near me anymore

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You can throw eggs basically whenever you've got distance, short hop egg is ludicrously safe. Just don't throw them in some situation where you're likely to take a boot to your nose.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Short Hop egg toss this time around is more useful for us than it was in brawl because it gives a much bigger hop for the first one and the ability with Egg toss in general giving us free reign of the direction we can go instead of being forced in whatever direction we hold.

For example if we were running to the right and did a short hop egg toss we'd continue going right in brawl unable to move to the right, this time around though we can move in the opposite direction.
Edit: Not counting wavebounces of course which was additional inputs for the stick, but now wavebouncing eggtoss is no longer needed since we move freely horizontally now.

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Probably should mention that with the new clash speed, shielding projectiles is probably now a universally better option in most cases in the defensive play section.

For the combo section, add soft hit nair combos. At low to higher percents, soft hit nair can be comboed into double jab, up and forward tilt, any smash, dash attack, and nair lol. Tested them all in training mode and it registered there. I don't know if I ever posted these anywhere

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yoshi has so many little like 2-5 hit combos that he can literally just put together on the fly if you just react to the opponents vectoring, honestly you can make practically anything combo into something else if you do it right lol.

Oh and Egg Lay for best move World.

Last edited:

JGR

Smash Rookie
NNID
PhoenixVonKarma
3DS FC
0516-8363-0205
Yes. I find that with Yoshi it tends to take me a little bit longer to get the kill than with the other characters I sometimes use - Captain Falcon and Lucina among them - but I feel moreso than with any other character I can find the most openings on opponents because of the minuscule lag after most of Yoshi's actions and his dash attack.

As for the unorthodox recovery being a problem, I can kind of see an argument but I got a grasp of it fairly quickly and I was never a Yoshi player.

Regardless, Yoshi is a solid character and worth mastering.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Grounded Down B is easily Yoshi's best kill move, it kills off the top around 100%, while all of his other moves tend to need at least 120. The best situations to land it are:

- After a spot dodge
- Out of shield against something unsafe
- When a dash attack is coming at you (obviously this needs good timing)

I had a great Yoshi Mirror Match online yesterday where I was at like 150 on the final stock and the opponent was only at 90 or something and I pulled off the most legitimate spot dodge against a down tilt and punished with Down B for the kill. You should definitely try to keep that move fresh when your opponent is near kill percents.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Not sure if anyone has seen it yet, but yonezmi made another vine thingy where we have 3 grab release stuff on 3 people.
Wario of course being USmash still, Sheik DA and Rob offstage is a Fair.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
He was really noob friendly in brawl too. He just had a really high skill floor to be viable at even low level competition, and an even higher skill ceiling.

IMO the skill floor dropped a lot so yeah we've probably become a bit more noob friendly. You're still going to be able to tell a good from a bad yoshi.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Yes. I find that with Yoshi it tends to take me a little bit longer to get the kill than with the other characters I sometimes use - Captain Falcon and Lucina among them - but I feel moreso than with any other character I can find the most openings on opponents because of the minuscule lag after most of Yoshi's actions and his dash attack.

As for the unorthodox recovery being a problem, I can kind of see an argument but I got a grasp of it fairly quickly and I was never a Yoshi player.

Regardless, Yoshi is a solid character and worth mastering.
I never have problems with yoshi recovering given omega stages. He has the horizontal recovery skills enough to recover quite well unless knocked down vertically.

Top Bottom