• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Two things:

Thing 1: Raptor for best coach 2016, I actually beat someone on my bracket and I haven't played this game since launch week XD

Thing 2: DELTA WTF RAPTOR SAYS YOU DON'T PLAY ANYMORE. I AM DISAPPOINT.

also I totally claim cyan in your absence.
I'm at college and the scene in Chicago ain't that great. I graduate this year and will be going to New York though, so I might make a comeback.

And I'd be honored to have you carry the torch for me. =)

Last edited:

Sharky

Smash Master
Not even a fight though?

...damn =(

Honestly I just came to pound cause I heard a bunch of my old upstate ny buddies were coming and I wanted to visit people haha. Didn't expect to win matches though!

Raptor is starting his pools bracket now.

Edit: raptors in winners finals vs acid in round 1 now

Edit: Raptor won his pool

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Not even a fight though?

...damn =(
As much as I would like to fight you for it, it's not really a fight if I never play anyways.

I assure you that when I return to the scene, you're number one on my list of people to knock down into the ranks of the lesser colors. =)

Raptor hype. Tell him my Puff is better for me pls.

Sharky

Smash Master
As much as I would like to fight you for it, it's not really a fight if I never play anyways.

I assure you that when I return to the scene, you're number one on my list of people to knock down into the ranks of the lesser colors. =)

Raptor hype. Tell him my Puff is better for me pls.
Fair enough. You'll be back for the summer?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Fair enough. You'll be back for the summer?
Errr, I won't be back until around August, but I'll be starting job training and stuff around then as well. I'm not sure when exactly I'll be back, just that the chances will be up since I'll be in a better region for Smash 4. I'm still expecting to be really busy next year anyways.

Sharky

Smash Master
Well if you do come back in August you should come to smash con, it'll be my last hurrah before I get stationed in Japan for 4 years.

So yeah my comeback won't last for long =P

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Real New York. I'll be working really long days, although I think I may have some weekend time if I'm not too exhausted. Real life is scary yo.
Cool, what'll you be doing? The prospect of real life is certainly initially intimidating, but it's something you'll get used to before you know it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Cool, what'll you be doing? The prospect of real life is certainly initially intimidating, but it's something you'll get used to before you know it.
I'm gonna be doing a year long teaching residency program there, and past that I'm not too sure. I'll probably end up going back to school for a year afterwards to get my Master's.

I suppose I still haven't hit REAL real life, but not taking classes for the first time in my conscious memory is gonna be something else.

Sharky

Smash Master
Ima **** both of you up >_>

And my ship will be in Sasebo. Not very close to what I'd assume is the bulk of the smash action, but I'm still super excited for Japan on general =D

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
And my ship will be in Sasebo. Not very close to what I'd assume is the bulk of the smash action, but I'm still super excited for Japan on general =D
Ah, that's far; I was hoping for Yokosuka. Still, it should be a good time. Enjoy.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Just came back from my first tournament in a while! I only managed to win one match in singles (and nothing in doubles...) , but I at least managed to keep it close in all of my games. Good Donkey Kongs are scary though...

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Just came back from my first tournament in a while! I only managed to win one match in singles (and nothing in doubles...) , but I at least managed to keep it close in all of my games. Good Donkey Kongs are scary though...
Getting grabbed by DK at 60% is not fun...:(

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
The Yoshi ditto vs ESAM dream is dead :( He had Visa issues and gave up on going to Aus, and Nairo's looking to be in a very similar situation...RIP
(Win by default?:awesome:)

C3CC

Smash Lord
Can someone tell me why sometimes when I throw eggs at people they kind of "block" them, and don't receive any knockback at all? They only get the damage, and sometimes they even get only 1%. How do they do it?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There's two hitboxes for Eggtoss in Smash 4. The Eggshell and the explosion.

So if you're getting 0% or 1% it's basically hitting with the eggshell, which actually does 0.5%

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
The Yoshi ditto vs ESAM dream is dead :( He had Visa issues and gave up on going to Aus, and Nairo's looking to be in a very similar situation...RIP
(Win by default?:awesome:)
I guess it's not just Leffen getting affected by visa stuff after all. :p

Maybe you'd still be able to play him online if the internet's not too bad? I think he streams sometimes so you might be able to call him out there for flaking.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Hi :4yoshi: mains! I'm somewhat new to smashboards and this is my first time on the Yoshi threads. While I don't exactly main Yoshi in this game, he is usually my 1st preferred of 3 secondary choices whenever I'm not feeling the rock aka the blue bomber.

Anyway, me and the green dinosaur have a long history together. Whenever I would play Mario Party or any other Mario spin off game like Mario Golf or Tennis, I always picked Yoshi since he is so cute, cheery, and a bad a** on top of also being a dinosaur. I even have a cat named after him, who I've had ever since I was about 7. He is also my main in Smash 64 because he is so much fun to play as and landing that fair along with that nasty fully 56% hit dair always felt so satisfying in that game.

I won't be active in these threads as much as I will be in the Mega Man threads, but I'll pop by every now and then to see what's up. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute by giving out my thoughts and ideas on Yoshi as he is just oozing with potential, but hardly anyone plays as him on a competitive level. :( Hopefully that changes soon when top level Yoshi players get better in the future and maybe even inspire some to pick up this character. Thank you for getting to know me a little bit, and go :4yoshi:! :)

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
eh, i wouldn't be surprised if we got no changes. a lot of other characters need it more.

but if they nerf cloud and/or diddy, that'll indirectly buff us pretty good.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Hopefully they give f-tilt a lot less cool down and do something with his grab game to make it an actual threat like changing the kbg of his d-throw.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Yeeeeaahh no changes for us!!

Guys, I want to share a video with you. It's me fighting against a level 8 CPU Captain Falcon. Any critique will be appreciated! Pay attention to the last stock, haha.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Yeeeeaahh no changes for us!!

Guys, I want to share a video with you. It's me fighting against a level 8 CPU Captain Falcon. Any critique will be appreciated! Pay attention to the last stock, haha.
First things first, fighting a CPU is a big no-no (people still use that phrase, right?), since you can get easily stuck on autopilot and because there's no opportunity to read the opponent. Also, a lot of things that you did either shouldn't have worked or could've gotten punished easily.
- Too many dash grabs, it's way too punishable
- Using Utilt out of a grab release is too risky because it's too slow. If you want to do a Utilt string, do Jab > Utilt. Really, the only attack you should be doing out of grab release is Jab (or Down B, if you really want to break the shield), though I like the fact that you abuse grab release at all.
- No Smash Attacks in the Neutral. You whiffed a Down Smash at some point and it didn't go very well for you.
- Please don't even try to do Egg Roll, most of the time it doesn't work, and most of the time it works it isn't really worth it.
- You're going for hard reads too much at the ledge, I think you got punished for it at some point. I'm starting to use spaced Dtilts at the ledge, and most Yoshis do Egg Toss out of attack range. Only go for Smash Attacks and Down B when you know for sure what the opponent will do, and that's never the case with CPUs.
- That last stock lol

Honestly, just go on For Glory, I think you'd be fine out there. If you're going to play against CPUs, at least play on stages with platforms (Battlefield, Smashville, etc.) since For Glory doesn't let you do that.
Yay! No Yoshi changes! :4yoshi:
wait where does it say that

C3CC

Smash Lord
First things first, fighting a CPU is a big no-no (people still use that phrase, right?), since you can get easily stuck on autopilot and because there's no opportunity to read the opponent. Also, a lot of things that you did either shouldn't have worked or could've gotten punished easily.
- Too many dash grabs, it's way too punishable
- Using Utilt out of a grab release is too risky because it's too slow. If you want to do a Utilt string, do Jab > Utilt. Really, the only attack you should be doing out of grab release is Jab (or Down B, if you really want to break the shield), though I like the fact that you abuse grab release at all.
- No Smash Attacks in the Neutral. You whiffed a Down Smash at some point and it didn't go very well for you.
- Please don't even try to do Egg Roll, most of the time it doesn't work, and most of the time it works it isn't really worth it.
- You're going for hard reads too much at the ledge, I think you got punished for it at some point. I'm starting to use spaced Dtilts at the ledge, and most Yoshis do Egg Toss out of attack range. Only go for Smash Attacks and Down B when you know for sure what the opponent will do, and that's never the case with CPUs.
- That last stock lol

Honestly, just go on For Glory, I think you'd be fine out there. If you're going to play against CPUs, at least play on stages with platforms (Battlefield, Smashville, etc.) since For Glory doesn't let you do that.

wait where does it say that
Thank you sooo much for the tips!! I fight CPUs because I only have one friend who can play with me and he doesn't really come to my house very often. The other two friends I usually played with moved abroad, so... Venezuela (my country) has the worst internet service in the planet (uploading that video took two and a half hours, go figure) so playing For Glory is really difficult. I know computers suck (especially level 9), but it's all I have, sadly.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but I don't really get when people talk about a character's neutral game. What does that mean exactly?

Any other recommendations will be welcomed!

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Thank you sooo much for the tips!! I fight CPUs because I only have one friend who can play with me and he doesn't really come to my house very often. The other two friends I usually played with moved abroad, so... Venezuela (my country) has the worst internet service in the planet (uploading that video took two and a half hours, go figure) so playing For Glory is really difficult. I know computers suck (especially level 9), but it's all I have, sadly.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but I don't really get when people talk about a character's neutral game. What does that mean exactly?

Any other recommendations will be welcomed!
abfkdbahflkjen forgot to reply to this

Here's the video that is definitely the go-to for the Neutral; I recommend watching the rest of the series:

Also here's my text guide on it because shameless plug: http://smashboards.com/guides/mindset-during-a-match.629/

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I know computers suck (especially level 9), but it's all I have, sadly.
You REALLY should avoid playing against level 9 computers. They have some unholy amount of reaction time, and that's no good to practice against. You can't really attack them because they're so good at perfect shielding and stuff, so you just learn how to cheese them. Try lower leveled computers for better practice.

Really against computers you should be practicing movement and fluidity, not so much neutral and reading.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Yeah, whenever I fight a level nine CPU (Just for fun or whatever), I just try to find ways to hit them while they are in lag or just trying to cheese them. It is no good against real players, though.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Yeah. They can't perfect shield and airdodge like lvl 9s. It is still not good to fight CPUs, though, since you can't bait them into doing something. It is also hard to read them.

Top Bottom