• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

C3CC

Smash Lord
I concur with everyone here. I hate level 9s because whenever you attack them in the air it's like you press their air dodge button when you press A to attack. 7s are way too easy, so I usually go for level 8. They still dodge a lot, though. Thing is I have no one to practice with and my internet sucks so For Glory is not an option for me :(

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Hey, guys, I have a quick question. Who is a good secondary for Yoshi? Diddy is my secondary now. Is he good for that? I have been able to beat some people on Smash Ladder that my Yoshi couldn't. Just curious. :)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hey, guys, I have a quick question. Who is a good secondary for Yoshi? Diddy is my secondary now. Is he good for that? I have been able to beat some people on Smash Ladder that my Yoshi couldn't. Just curious. :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/viable-secondaries-for-yoshi.437069/
Diddy and Cloud are your best best.
Diddy has very good match-ups against character I consider difficult, but you have to mirror match other Diddys so thats a downside
Cloud beats almost everyone solidly, Diddy is an difficul MU for Cloud if the Diddy plays the match-up really well but you have the power on your side.. so if you really want a secondary which is easy to play and helps with difficult match-ups just play Cloud.
You have to mirror match Cloud though if you want to avoid the MU with Yoshi though, but Cloud mirror is less difficult than Diddy mirrors as a secondary.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I've decided that I'm going to EVO, it'll be my first time attending a national tournament and I'm pretty excited! Hoping to get some good experience since I don't dedicate enough time to actually playing smash for how much time I spend reading about and watching it. Anyone else going also?

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Sadly, I am not going to Evo, though I would have loved to. I don't play that much a day either. Only like 45 minutes. And that is if I am not playing a different game. How long do you play a day?

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Even though I go on smashboards/reddit daily, I honestly only spend a few hours playing a week, usually just working towards the challenges in single player. I've been trying to get into playing on the ladder though recently.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Okay. Yeah, I usually play less than an hour a day, and I don't even play on Sundays. I am like you, where I will go on Smashboards daily but don't play as much. This means that my friend (Who plays several hours every day) is improving much faster than me, which kind of stinks but oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Delta-cod Delta-cod Unsticky my tourney thread and add Eggs. thread on DJ tolerance.
I'd say the MU thread too, but if people want to find the other characters MU thread maybe they can still use my thread to at least find it if they can't?

Edit: Maybe sticky Discord thread too? Don't think we need to worry about there being too many stickies lol

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Delta-cod Delta-cod Unsticky my tourney thread and add Eggs. thread on DJ tolerance.
I'd say the MU thread too, but if people want to find the other characters MU thread maybe they can still use my thread to at least find it if they can't?

Edit: Maybe sticky Discord thread too? Don't think we need to worry about there being too many stickies lol
You're done with the results thread, right?

The MU thread is still a good directory to what we have, so it'll stay. Eggs. thread is now up.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
You're done with the results thread, right?
Yeah sadly. It's not like I'm busy with life or anything, just results these days are lost in the void of challonge or facebook.
Afaik for my state as an example, SA is the only town that posts our weekly results on smashboards still due to our 2nd guy (me being first) that mans the stream being a data mining maniac so he uploads the stuff on the boards after he's done posting it all on FB and uploading the vids.

Don't feel like updating tourney thread when I'm 1. behind almost 7 months 2. Not many posting their stuff anyways, didn't even comment on if I should continue or not.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Can we talk about how stupid of a character Cloud is guys?

Also who's going to EVO? My crew is coming in hot. I used to have S2H and iGGY in my pool but they moved me so now I have a bye. :awesome:

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Glad to hear someone else is going! I'm just planning on drifting around since I couldn't drag any of my friends along, so maybe I'll run into you guys at some point.

And yeah, from the few local tournaments I've gone to, I've learned that like half of the Seattle Sm4sh community either mains Cloud or has a pocket Cloud. It's a bit annoying, but I guess it doesn't hurt to get matchup experience. :p

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Can we talk about how stupid of a character Cloud is guys?
During my break back in August and only going to a tourney once every 1-3 months, I've been playing a lot of friendlies or dubs, whenever I do friendlies with people they lose with their mains go cloud after 30ish minutes of losing than either start taking games off me or close enough in doing so.
Dubs I don't need to say anything, especially after the nerfs he's still an obnoxious pos.

They're so confused somehow at the fact that they can't do anything against Yoshi and other characters with their main but the moment they switch to cloud they do so much better. It's kinda dirty really at how easy Cloud is and how people can't comprehend why they're doing so much better all of a sudden.

YoshoMasa

Smash Rookie
There are not as much smash 4 players right now and
I really don't know why because Yoshi has great potential
but I never see that cute Dino in tourments

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Kamemushi representing my favorite characters :4megaman: and :4yoshi: in grand finals at EVO. Unfortunately though, he only used Yoshi in Game 1 which was a loss and lost the set 3-1 to Ally's :4mario:.

Mad respect for Ally, but I can't lie though. Mario's u-smash and up-b are kinda of bull****.

Still though, amazing play from both players. :)

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Evo report: Got 2-0'd 4 times across Melee and Smash 4 pools, and got bodied by The Wall and Sol in friendlies. I won exactly one game across the two days - the first round of a Bo5 $1 money match against a decent Falcon player, but then I choked and lost the next 3, lol.

So yeah, pretty much exactly what I expected from my first time going to a national. I really had a good time though, I had some good talks with all sorts of players and it gave me some stuff to think about with my play going into the future. Also, Smash 4 finals and Melee semis were really fun to watch in the crowd even with the lack of seating. I also got a nice sweatshirt to wear to pretend that I'm good at smash. :p

Sharky

Smash Master
This place is dead. Shame. *rings bell*

I went to SmashCon this weekend. Second sm4sh tournament ever after Pound lol, and I still haven't been playing in the meantime, but I beat TWO people this time in my pool. So I'm basically kind of a big deal.

But on a more serious note - in the event I actually want to do some more stuff, how does one get into this discord chat I am hearing about?

edit: one of my pool wins was against a Yoshi from Binghampton, NY. I was rather amused with this revelation hahaha. If said Yoshi happens to lurk here at all, hit me up! I'll actually be in cuse sometime in the near future, and wouldn't mine playing some!

edit 2: I eventually found the fabled discord thread, but its fate seems to be ambiguous. Is there still an active discord? If so, invite!

edit 3: amazing what a search can do with a bit of patience, I found it! I'll just keep lurking until people start talking.

edit 4: Made it in haha. But while I have the podium, I also played a yoshi from NoVa. Anyone of that description remember playing a ****ty Cyan Yoshi? =P

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
So has anyone checked out the new official tier list and Yoshi's new placement? I think being ranked 23rd is mostly accurate even though I don't like the fact that he's ranked a lot lower than I would've liked.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
For those interested, here is the tier list:

To be honest, I can't really complain about his position. I do find Toon Link, Megaman, Ness, and Lucario's spots to be interesting. I haven't been following things at all, but from my understanding of these characters they shouldn't really be high tier.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
For those interested, here is the tier list:

To be honest, I can't really complain about his position. I do find Toon Link, Megaman, Ness, and Lucario's spots to be interesting. I haven't been following things at all, but from my understanding of these characters they shouldn't really be high tier.
They switch Yoshi's place with Sonic, and that tier list would be perfect!

:troll:

C3CC

Smash Lord
I have a question...

I rely a lot on Grab Release > Jab, and usually I attack first... Except on goddamn Mario. Does Mario's Jab usually come out faster than Yoshi's? It has happened to me with Samus as well.

Top Bottom