• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
TBH I'm kind of a social recluse and don't go out of my way to interact with new people in environments that don't sort of force interaction (smashfests, tournaments, class, sports, etc.). As a result, I've never really felt the need to post in there (I think I made like, one introductory post in the mod back room). Similarly, I have like, 0 "friends" from grad school, they're more like acquaintances. Most of my current social circle was established years ago, like the first or second year of college.

I just never really figured out how to do the whole small talk getting to know someone thing. Much better at bonding with people over games or some shared activity though.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Esports has been a thing since Starcraft 2, DOTA/League brought up the rise of esports in season 2 (in season 8 of league, so 6 years)
That aside yeah league is a thing still, probably bigger than ever this year since franchising is a thing so almost every single NA team has some basketball team backing them up. Clutch Gaming for example has the Houston Rockets while Team Liquid is backed by Disney.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
There's...basketball teams backing up League teams? And Disney? I want off Esports' Wild Ride.

I miss grassroots stuff, things just felt so much more casual then~

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Even before this season there was already a few basketball players that owned teams.

Our very own meme :yeahboi: owns the team NRG which Nairo is apart of after leaving Liquid.
Another team from last year that joined league was Echo Fox owned by Rick Fox.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, it's highly likely that, should we get a character board for Switch, that that place will be more active. We may see a short bump in activity here as a side effect though.

I don't see a reason to ditch this place, it's not like both can't exist at the same time. But I wouldn't be trying to redirect people interested in Switch Yoshi to this place, heh.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
i actually wonder how long smash 4 will last
like will smash switch just be better overall or will people still play smash 4 despite bayo and everything

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I suspect that, outside of Melee some reason lasting forever, the other relevant Smash game will always be the newest. Expect Smash 4 to die off shortly after Switch releases, unless Switch is hot garbage.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Basically what Delta said, until the admins make a Smash 5 or whatever section and the sub-forums for all confirmed characters so far happens, this place will stay alive. Well "Alive" lul

When's E3? Whenever that starts up we'll prolly get more info and 100% confirmation on more characters, cause right now based off silhouettes in the inklings trailer only 9 or so can be confirmed right off the bat. (Yoshi mario link bowser samus DK Sheik Zelda inklings)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
E3 starts june 12

since smash switch is basically gonna be a clean slate, do you guys think we should do something different this time around?
maybe focus activity on smashboards to avoid getting it fragmented? tell everyone yoshi is bottom tier and refuse to enter tournaments so that he gets buffed? what else?
oh and also i would say “get an actual lab team together” but the yoshi discord should have that covered

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If you want to keep the boards alive, you can't take any activity away from here. If you want to have a lab team that studies stuff, you can't advertise it as a separate place to be and have people apply to be there, or just accept everyone. You need to select the team, approach them privately, and get them involved that way.

Yoshi Discords, Facebook groups, Skype groups (do people even still use this?), subreddits, etc can't be advertised or used as alternate forms of communication with the people here. Those places tend to just sap activity and nothing that is said or contributed elsewhere is ever shared back here.

People need to feel like they are recognized and incentivized to contribute well here. This means anyone who makes good contributions needs to be appreciated (particularly those who do not compete and place well), and they need to know that their presence here is noticed and that it matters. People who post in the video thread need to get responses -- a critique squad must exist. In this sense, we need to actually hold ourselves to a high standard of participation. This doesn't mean neglecting or ignoring people who post poorly -- we need to actually try to help them improve. Asking people who post one-liners in poor spelling and grammar follow-up questions and refusing to capitulate to people who respond to well thought-out arguments with nothing more than a sentence are basically a necessity.

The difficulty in all this is that posting poorly in character boards is not really against the rules. But if we allow the boards to become a place of minimal thought and contribution, they have no value, and there is no reason for people to actually come here.

TL;DR
  • Can't advertise/use alternate channels of communication publicly (I'm sure we have ways of contacting each other privately/off the boards already, but we can't continue to expand them to all newcomers).
  • Hold everyone on the boards to a high standard of contribution
    • Recognize great contributors ( Pixel_ Pixel_ would be an example off the top of my head)
    • Cultivate newbies into better posters by forcing them to actually explain themselves (one liners are garbooooo)
    • Spelling/Grammar actually do matter
    • Tone actually matters
  • Make people feel like their presence here is worthwhile and that they matter
    • Respond to questions in the Q&A thread quickly.
    • Actually critique people's videos
      • This means forming a dedicated critique team.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No nobody uses skype anymore in terms of smash. It's basically used in the esports scene to keep tabs on messages that's edited/deleted and video calls.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Skype basically died even before Brawl ended. What a trash messaging/video call system.
Even though people still use it for secret messages and video calls to this day, skype vc is still super ****ing bad

Sharky

Smash Master
Good. Skype really jumped the shark for me, I'm glad to see it's not really used anymore.
Skype did what to me?!?

Also, hi guys. I might try to do a few things with smash again here and there in the near future as I'll be returning stateside soon. Anybody in Socal?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Skype did what to me?!?

Also, hi guys. I might try to do a few things with smash again here and there in the near future as I'll be returning stateside soon. Anybody in Socal?
Oh my god it's Sharkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I'm sure someone is in Socal but I am definitely not. If you make your way back to NY I'm there again though!

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I hope they have joke articles again
That made emblemboards really memorable for me lol

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
This place being active, what a nice April 1st joke :yoshi:

Sharky

Smash Master
Aaaaand I hit dry land again. The computers on the ship block smashboards =(

I would like to start doing things in a few weeks time when I get back stateside. I've been training up a promising guy in my shop and slowly working out the rust. Wavebouncing is harder than I remember lol, my fingers are slow now. I feel pretty good about what I've got so far though. We're looking at possibly making Evo a thing.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Buffering in smash 4 feels awkward this time around. I forget the exact frame data.
Welcome back to dry land tho, hope EVO goes well for you when it comes around.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Aaaaand I hit dry land again. The computers on the ship block smashboards =(

I would like to start doing things in a few weeks time when I get back stateside. I've been training up a promising guy in my shop and slowly working out the rust. Wavebouncing is harder than I remember lol, my fingers are slow now. I feel pretty good about what I've got so far though. We're looking at possibly making Evo a thing.
BEACHED SHARK EVERYONE, THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

There is another way to do it if you have tilt stick on
Wait wait since when could we embed tweets?!?!?!

Sharky

Smash Master
BEACHED SHARK EVERYONE, THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Wait wait since when could we embed tweets?!?!?!
No worries, this shark only hungers for ramen and rice bowls at the moment while he's still in Japan.

Those controls are interesting. But then again I'm still using the DR controls from brawl so I can't really judge lol. I'll give it a try!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
No worries, this shark only hungers for ramen and rice bowls at the moment while he's still in Japan.

Those controls are interesting. But then again I'm still using the DR controls from brawl so I can't really judge lol. I'll give it a try!
Bamboozle, expected Sharky stateside as per previous post. Stop blue-egging us.

Sharky

Smash Master
Bamboozle, expected Sharky stateside as per previous post. Stop blue-egging us.
No bamboozle! It was my last bit of time in Japan. The shark has moved to Hawaii now and is enjoying a luau before hitting SoCal.

I actually went snorkeling at a place called shark's cove yesterday. Seemed like a relevant bit of info.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
No bamboozle! It was my last bit of time in Japan. The shark has moved to Hawaii now and is enjoying a luau before hitting SoCal.

I actually went snorkeling at a place called shark's cove yesterday. Seemed like a relevant bit of info.
How was Japan? You've been there for...years now, right? Did you end up picking up the language?

Sharky finds Sharks. Well played.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Tbh I'd find it kinda weird living in a different country and not trying to learn their language after being there for years.
Sharky been gone since like the tail end of brawl, so 2013 right? Or at least left around that time and went to many different places but 2 or 3 years seems like almost enough time to kind of learn a new language.

Just guessing, I wouldn't know.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I can definitely see scenarios where you wouldn't learn the language, such as being kept busy in a community that doesn't really emphasize the language at all (or they don't even use it). If there was enough of a need to actually use a new language in a place you were living then I'd certainly expect to pick it up at least somewhat over the course of 4-5 years.

But Sharky's old man. Languages are hard for oldies.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
We're all getting older.
I would've liked to learn japanese if I was stuck there for a couple of years. But yeah I know it's possible to live anywhere without needing to learn their language, especially if you're just on a boat most of the time. Just simple gestures or ty or goodbyes is enough when going out to eat at places.

Top Bottom