• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Nair eggroll and other random moves clanks with her smashes cause I guess her smashes count as projectiles or something.

Witch time basically makes the hit of moves never confirm on her so the hitbox of lingering moves like the first two mentioned stick out still and sometimes or most of the time clank with her smash attempt (only once though so second smash attempt will hit and the sometimes earlier is being eggroll that sometimes clanks)

Feel like possibly both can be a problem, bayo loses to rushdown/camping since our eggs screw with her and even if she witch times it nothing will happen but again witch time 0-70+% = lol free fully charged smashes for a kill.

Or if the bayo knows how to do the combos, 0 to death.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Yoshi has never had true super armor on double jump. It's just a heavy armor that reduces knockback to a certain extent. Video
When does his armor break though? I know that it wasn't true super armor, but I tested, and even a sticky bomb will break it. To me it seems a lot weaker then it was before.

Yoshi's DJ armor remains untouched.
Completely untouched or has it been tweaked at all?

Both of them feel like really solid and fun characters though. I barely even wanted Corrin cause i was kinda tired of Fire Emblem characters but yo they're so fun lmfao.
Me neither. I love playing as Corrin though. I really didn't want Bayo though. But hey, you get what you get.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Again, knockback based. Effective against weak moves at mid-low percents, but otherwise you're going to get knocked out. Gooey bombs also have a ton of knockback, I think they're as strong or stronger than a bob-omb.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I really didn't want Bayo though. But hey, you get what you get.
We're in the same boat here, I actually refuse to have her on my console.

From playing against the Bayonetta I played last night, I believe a grounded play style is optimal against her.
Is it just me or do they actually seem to lack that many kill options outside of Bair and Fthrow? Their smashes are slow enough to react to and Yoshi outmaneuvers her to the point she can't catch you to land the kill if you're smart.

How'd you guys go against Corrin? They, on the other hand have no problem getting kills, and being a sword fighter with huge range and good frame data, I can see this being a bad MU for us. Something we seem to have going for us here however, is their recovery's short, so if we can apply good off stage pressure we should be alright hopefully.
I also find that it's best to wait for an opening and then go in rather than rushing in blindly, and to only go for 1 or 2 attacks, then fall back and find your space again.

Probably need to play vs the both of them more to certify what I'm actually saying, since these are just day 1 observations from playing against them. Curious if people agree/disagree with my thoughts here.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
We're in the same boat here, I actually refuse to have her on my console.

From playing against the Bayonetta I played last night, I believe a grounded play style is optimal against her.
Is it just me or do they actually seem to lack that many kill options outside of Bair and Fthrow? Their smashes are slow enough to react to and Yoshi outmaneuvers her to the point she can't catch you to land the kill if you're smart.

How'd you guys go against Corrin? They, on the other hand have no problem getting kills, and being a sword fighter with huge range and good frame data, I can see this being a bad MU for us. Something we seem to have going for us here however, is their recovery's short, so if we can apply good off stage pressure we should be alright hopefully.
I also find that it's best to wait for an opening and then go in rather than rushing in blindly, and to only go for 1 or 2 attacks, then fall back and find your space again.

Probably need to play vs the both of them more to certify what I'm actually saying, since these are just day 1 observations from playing against them. Curious if people agree/disagree with my thoughts here.
honestly after looking at Bayo's frame data and looking at general for glory and some things i've seen on streams, she might actually just be a free matchup lol. Our jab and nair are faster than literally anything she has in her moveset. And her approach options are limited tbh. Good projectile games make her life hard too.

Corrin...shrug. Feels like the marth matchup but against a better character. Space well, throw lots of eggs, learn how to gimp them. There's some little tidbits about their moveset where things feel like they should be comboing you but they actually don't at low percents. For example if you take a landing fair to the face, it combos into another fair into another fair at mid percents. But nothing at low percents. Same with her dtilt. Also utilt doesn't seem to combo into itself and again at low percents cannot be combo'd into. Frankly despite not playing this specific matchup on either side yet, i feel like we can nair them for hitting us half of the time

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
honestly after looking at Bayo's frame data and looking at general for glory and some things i've seen on streams, she might actually just be a free matchup lol. Our jab and nair are faster than literally anything she has in her moveset. And her approach options are limited tbh. Good projectile games make her life hard too.
And before most of us thought that she was going to be top tier lol. #Yoshi-Top-Tier #BayoBottomTier

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Corrin's nair is really annoying, it ignores eggs completely and if i'm not mistaken it outranges yoshi aerials. A corrin SH FFing Nair a lot may be a problem.

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm kind of concerned about the Fire Emblem buffs also. It seems like all of them got buffs to range, frame data, and damage. Marth especially seems to have much better range on his tippers, and that was already a bit of an annoying matchup.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Corrin's nair is really annoying, it ignores eggs completely and if i'm not mistaken it outranges yoshi aerials. A corrin SH FFing Nair a lot may be a problem.
I just lost to Corrin today, and I can definitely vouch for this. ^ Also we can't just rely on Nair to get out of hits like we do with other characters.

Also, has anyone had any success in intercepting their upB? The player I lost to said he's been hit out of it before but I must've tried at least 10 times in today's sets and not once could I touch them :|

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Bayo would be free is she didnt have semi reliable 0-deaths and easily the best counter in the game.

Corrin seems hard but not bad. And not hard as in we lose, but hard as in mentally straining and footsie heavy. Tbh I think we probably go even with them both; maybe Corrin is a slight disadvantage and maybe we lose to Bayo if her combos/options end up being WAY over the top powerful but I honestly see Bayo nerfs incoming so we'll probably have the advantage once the stupid stuff of hers gets toned down.

Also, off topic, but I cant get to a Wii U to try this until like Sunday night, and even then its only a maybe, so can someone test this for me?

That link I posted for the Yoshi glitch on Halberd, personally I think its better and easier with fair (better since fair has MUCH less landing lag than dair), but Im curious what happens if you use down b while standing there, I never thought about trying it until now unfortunantely. Will you rise up and backwards sliding along the wall then grab the ledge? Maybe clip through the stage in some way? Will the initial hitbox hit someone above you? Etc.

Last edited:

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Corrin is now my pocket character. I am actually beating people on Anther's Ladder with him on Ranked LOL.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Nice. I would like to do the same thing, but I can't have three mains lol. I main Yoshi and Diddy Kong.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I really hope Sakurai is considering a nerf in those stupid almost 0 to death Mk, zss, bayonetta and, to a lesser extend, Mario combos in a future patch after seeing Nairo vs Abadango. A roll nerf to all caracters except the already bad ones (yoshi, samus, etc) would be cool as well. And Obviously sheik and Luma nerfs plz.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Idkman after playing a game where Ice climbers existed, the 0 deaths in this game are really undewhelming. They all pretty much involve you getting raw tagged by a relatively laggy normal in neutral at 0% lmfao.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I can't see how it's fair to get comboed to death just by losing neutral once at 0%. Also mks dash attack is able to punish a lot less laggy things than a warlock punch and you know that lol. Yeah we had infinite ics cgs and some others in past games but that doesn't mean that it's okay to have 0 to deaths that can happen with any minimal error. Of course it's fair to get punished if you miss with some % or even losing the stock if you're at a high % but not getting killed when you're at full heath lol

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I can't see how it's fair to get comboed to death just by losing neutral once at 0%. Also mks dash attack is able to punish a lot less laggy things than a warlock punch and you know that lol. Yeah we had infinite ics cgs and some others in past games but that doesn't mean that it's okay to have 0 to deaths that can happen with any minimal error. Of course it's fair to get punished if you miss with some % or even losing the stock if you're at a high % but not getting killed when you're at full heath lol
You honestly earn your beating though with these specific 0 deaths lol. Again you gotta take a raw hit from a specific move in neutral. Every zero death also loses to both shielding the initial hit, or DIing the hits that come afterwards.
Like if you lose neutral to a move that you know was coming at 0 percent you gotta grin and bare the combo that comes with it. Like if you don't want to die to bayonetta hold down and away.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
If it really was that easy to escape being 0 to deathed them that shouldn't be happenning so frequently at high or even top level play, but somehow it is. Nairo vs Abadango was literally "whoever hits with a uair first gets the stock". It was really dumb imo. Also let's see it at another angle. You're a yoshi main right? What would you do after you read someone's landing and punish with... Let's say... a dash attack? Your reward would be the % the dash attack does. Also, you could possibly get some more % if you happen to read what your opponent was going to do after the hitstun ended, but of course that's not guaranted to happen. However, what if it was a Mk dash attacking and not a yoshi? The punished player would be probably dead at like 20%. Why can Mk have such a powerfull punish and yoshi can't? think about it.

Edit: i'm just pointing out my opinion about this here because it's a thing in the game i really don't like and i was in need of at least discussing it with someone, please don't take it as a rant or anything like that

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
If it really was that easy to escape being 0 to deathed them that shouldn't be happenning so frequently at high or even top level play, but somehow it is. Nairo vs Abadango was literally "whoever hits with a uair first gets the stock". It was really dumb imo. Also let's see it at another angle. You're a yoshi main right? What would you do after you read someone's landing and punish with... Let's say... a dash attack? Your reward would be the % the dash attack does. Also, you could possibly get some more % if you happen to read what your opponent was going to do after the hitstun ended, but of course that's not guaranted to happen. However, what if it was a Mk dash attacking and not a yoshi? The punished player would be probably dead at like 20%. Why can Mk have such a powerfull punish and yoshi can't? think about it.

Edit: i'm just pointing out my opinion about this here because it's a thing in the game i really don't like and i was in need of at least discussing it with someone, please don't take it as a rant or anything like that
It's not happening as much as you make it out to be happening though. I saw the Nairo Abadango set and lets not just throw the word literally out there like they legitimately got a zero death each stock lmao. Im pretty sure someone only went from 0% to dead once in that entire set.

Also your your why does MK get to have some a powerful punish but Yoshi doesn't is a really weak argument. like...we're different characters lmao. Every character in the top 20 has something genuinely dumb about them. Ness's backthrow, Villagers ungimpablity, sonics speed and spindash, Luma, Input Shoryuken, Limit Break, etc etc. Just like every dumb thing in this game you just gotta learn how to deal with it. Still don't think any of the zero deaths that exist atm are that bad. And I'd rather they add more to other characters than get rid of the ones that exist tbh. Give Zelda a zero death.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Wouldn't a serious frame data Buff be the right thing for zelda?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Zelda honestly needs a bit of everything.
Damage buff Frame data FAF landing lag hitbox buff etc.

Off the current topic, Think by next week Imma get into updating all my threads again, doubt the next patch to do a teensy bit more nerfs/buffs and fixes to all the glitches bayo/corn has will happen for awhile and enough time for people to delve into all the major buffs characters like all the FE characters and Falco got so MU discussion and stuff will start eventually next week.

Maybe even the last day of the week on Sunday lol

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Our punish game isn't even that bad. We can get up air strings with a punish or down air which is 33% and some characters you can even get an up air even after all that landing lag at low percents(well according to training mode). Heck we even have a double up air kill combo at 80-100 on anyone the size or taller then mario. You can DI out of like all 0 to deaths anyways and just because a few characters can do 0 to deaths doesnt mean our punish game is bad because we can still get alot off a punish.

Ill be redoing mostly all the double jump armor thread so I can confirm if double jump was changed in any way. Inb4 double jump gets weaker per use.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Corrin will proably be my new second. I love this character so much. I have way too much fun with him.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
LOL I <3 Corrin too. He/she is so fun to use. I already faithfully main Yoshi and Diddy, so I will just use Corrin as a pocket.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I got one question for you guys

Would you replace Yoshi With a Call of Duty Solider

Of Course i'll say no

what do you guys think

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
I totally agree. Yoshi is the best video game character EVER. No character could replace him! :p

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I disagree. I'd love to see Halo replace Yoshi in Smash. We have enough Mario representation, but imagine the hype and excitement this third party character could bring!

7NATOR

Smash Master
YO, MASTER CHEIF REPLACING YOSHI! BRING THAT BOTTOM HERE BOY

BOY DON'T YOU BRING HALO INTO THIS, YES MASTER CHEIF WOULD BE EXCITING

BUT HAVING HIM REPLACE YOSHI.... GET BODIED

BY THE K.O PUNCH

I'M SORRY, BUT MASTER CHIEF REPLACING YOSHI, "no good"

Legacy Yoshi

Smash Rookie
Uh i think, i should stick with Yoshi, he is best character of all time, and always will, not even a third party character could replace him, no thanks. (Why i can't stop loving Yoshi, because he is so cute.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After I got hold of Yoshi's Woolly World over the weekend, I came to realize that Smash 3DS / Wii U definitely had a missed opportunity with offering more DLC music tracks.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
This was going to be a bump but Mario & Sonic guy beat me to it

In other news, confirmed Yoshi ditto MM with ESAM when he comes down to our upcoming major BAM 8 in a couple months o:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
'Tis an idea of mine that I wouldn't have ever thought up, were it not for Miss :4bayonetta2: being in Sm4sh....

*Cue "Theme Of Bayonetta 2 - Tomorrow Is Mine" by Hiroshi Yamaguchi from the Bayonetta 2 OST (aka, the one with actual English vocals)*

<RL Me> *Upon gazing at the Yoshi tail in his new avatar (Gigantic shout-outs to TaRtOoN-Hand94 for that!), as well as recalling certain moments during certain E-rated spinoff games (ex. Superstar Baseball, Kart Wii/8's tricks, Party 9 & 10) when his species (victoriously) show off their tails, and even the very fact that Miss BaeYOnetta is even IN Sm4sh at all (STILL much to my surprise, given how E-Sports UNfriendly certain aspects of her series can be.... >.<), mentally loses seemingly all sense of self-control as he is now uncontrollably squee-ing, in utter bliss, and even feeling extreme embarassment, all at the same time, oblivious to everything around him, as he fantasizes about 2 Yoshies...

(1 male named Yooshji, basically colored just like in my new avatar, armed with a giant Hammer Bro-styled hammer on his left hand (& thee Mega Buster on his right hand at certain times~), and a Chain Chomp tied to one of his shoes. The other being a female named Fujioshi, who is cerise colored with spring green shoes, armed with a giant Hook Guy-styled hook (think of the yellow spear-esque sewing needle that the Shy Guys wielded from Woolly World~) on her left hand (& thee Mega Buster on her right hand at certain times~), and a Chain Chomp tied to one of her shoes as well.)

... In super SLICK, highly stylized action sequences against hordes of Bowser's NUMEROUS cronies (from the lowly Spear Guys, to Boomerang Bros, to even the Koopalings, especially :4ludwig:, among countless others!) with phenomenally acrobatic fight choreography that would be creatively cool enough to be an art form, unusually high amounts of classy glee from the Yoshi duo that stands in stark contrast from the vindictive glee that I was originally expecting from the original source material.... and a surprising amount of smoothly integrated tailshots from both Yoshies that not only do NOT stop the flow of the action AT ALL, but the Yoshies themselves seem INCREDIBLY comfortable about showing off their tails (neither of them would be embarrassed about that (just like in the E-rated spinoffs, where I SWEAR they're parading them! XD), plus it's equal opportunity (¦3), and occasionally, the tailshots would fill up a significant portion of the screen AND have attention called to them by the camera angles themselves~!)*

<RL Me> "BE QUIET AND TAKE MY COINS!!" 8D

.... Seriously, a Yoshi game that played like Bayonetta 1 & 2 would be unbelievably incredible! 83 Their overall mobility would DEFINITELY be able to compete with BaeYO's (Flutter Jumps & Ground Pounds~), and possibly even exceed hers in certain ways (From the very beginning of the game, both Yoshies would be outrunning her, and also, tail & tongue attacks for helping them deal with big swarming crowds~!). 8>

The rating would probably either be at most a T, or even the "HOOOOW did THIS happen?! 8O" E-rating, which would make playing it in front of the kiddies more... possible?? WithOUT raising TOO many eyebrows??? X3 MAYBE???? X>

Sure, Fujioshi MIGHT be able to smuggle in.... "antics" with her hook, but Yooshji would likely be exerting so much force into certain hammer swings, that he's going to be getting as much "air time" as the baddies will, if you know what I mean~ X)

Oh, and even though neither of them would actually have Mega Busters like how I envisioned them earlier, they DO have Eggs that can somewhat take their place as a projectile to throw out, especially if there's convenient refueling stations around, including infinitely respawning Shy Guys~ :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom