• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

James Mesa

Smash Cadet
NNID
KitkaDoodle
Anyone mind adding me to the Yoshi Skype group? Skype is KitkaDude. The icon is melee fox.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
oh, i might as well join again, since i left for some reason??

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'll add you guys in.
Edit: nvm looks like Slush already did.

Last edited:

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
man, i hope it's nothing. with how much the community has been talking about how yoshi is The Frame God or whatever for the past year, i feel kinda lucky how we haven't really been hit by nerfs at all.

though i would like a kill throw 8)

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Yoshi is remaining untouched? I haven't downloaded the patch because finals and stuff but that's what it looks like from the notes. A buff would have been nice, but I'm glad that we at least didn't lose anything.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I just came to say that my new signature rocks, please look at it

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
On that day, everyone stole that setup.

Also surprised you got the sig to show up, it feels random when it wants to show peoples stuff down there.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Hey guys, I'm going on vacation to the Bahamas, so I'll be absent for a few days. I hope you'll all be on your best behavior while I'm gone. =P

Happy Holidays Yoshis, hope you all have an enjoyable break/festivities!

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Yall need to reassess the Shiek matchup. Everytime i listen to talk about the shiek matchup it comes down to she just plays lame with Needles and fair and beats us out. Like yeah thats true but When people talk about playing lame with eggs the discussion turns into "yeah but she can just powershield punish is". I don't understand how she's both playing cross stage with needles and approaching and punishing us at the same time so I feel like theres some sort of disconnect in the way everyones looking at this matchup.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Yall need to reassess the Shiek matchup. Everytime i listen to talk about the shiek matchup it comes down to she just plays lame with Needles and fair and beats us out. Like yeah thats true but When people talk about playing lame with eggs the discussion turns into "yeah but she can just powershield punish is". I don't understand how she's both playing cross stage with needles and approaching and punishing us at the same time so I feel like theres some sort of disconnect in the way everyones looking at this matchup.

Personally I don't find Sheik that polarizing. Her needles are punishable just like our egg toss is, people seem to forget that. If they're being extra campy with needles then there's a good chance they're also shield/roll heavy trying to play defensive and just eek out a percent advantage. If that's the case then smart neutral b or reverse neutral b placements will throw their game for a loop and allow you to convert momentum towards yourself. Her fair is good but also punishable if she hits shield, especially if you're good enough to powershield it.

It's still a losing matchup for Yoshi, as it is for all characters, but it's nothing crazy bad. I put it at 55-45 Sheik's favor.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
...wait, so is this all tournament results, or community ranking?

cause e.g. why are duck hunt and bowser so high up? why is IKE lower than them? why is brawler lower than gunner??

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Hey guys, found this on Facebook/Twitter:

http://esports-runner.com/ssb4/character_tier_list/ <-- has whether a character has gone up or down and their point rankings.

https://twitter.com/esr_ssb4/status/681761735963840512

Doesn't look like they did rankings within the tiers.

Holy cow Bowser is high. So are the Pits. Does anyone know anything about why that might be? I never hear anything about them.

I believe they did do rankings in each tier (It wouldn't make sense how A+ and A look how they are yet A- wouldn't be ranked, it is). Their differences on Bowser being high is the new throw buff, Pit and Dark Pit being high because of Earth from Japan, and the rest is just their assumption. This did not include high end Japanese players opinions on the matter so it's more of just a community fluff list.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I believe they did do rankings in each tier (It wouldn't make sense how A+ and A look how they are yet A- wouldn't be ranked, it is). Their differences on Bowser being high is the new throw buff, Pit and Dark Pit being high because of Earth from Japan, and the rest is just their assumption. This did not include high end Japanese players opinions on the matter so it's more of just a community fluff list.
How do you know how the tier list was constructed? I couldn't find information on it anywhere, although I didn't try especially hard to parse the information with my meager knowledge of Japanese.

The reason I said they didn't rank within tiers comes from the point value list, where all members of a tier are listed as equal. But perhaps that was just the way they picked who went into which tier.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
How do you know how the tier list was constructed? I couldn't find information on it anywhere, although I didn't try especially hard to parse the information with my meager knowledge of Japanese.
Some people from the CCI thread, Japanese results thread that usually translate brackets keeps up with the Japan scene etc. and Trela somehow was told by Abadango that it wasn't made by the top players in Japan.

Even if it was made by top players though, don't think we should take what they say outside of maybe top 10 with a grain of salt. Their meta is completely lopsided from Westerns both in stagelists playstyles and rulesets. 2 Stocks doesn't mean we're similar enough to where both countries would have near similar tier lists.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Some people from the CCI thread, Japanese results thread that usually translate brackets keeps up with the Japan scene etc. and Trela somehow was told by Abadango that it wasn't made by the top players in Japan.

Even if it was made by top players though, don't think we should take what they say outside of maybe top 10 with a grain of salt. Their meta is completely lopsided from Westerns both in stagelists playstyles and rulesets. 2 Stocks doesn't mean we're similar enough to where both countries would have near similar tier lists.
Ah, I see. Sometimes I forget there are more boards than just this place, heh.

I didn't think much of the list outside of the fact that it was interesting. Figured I'd share it here since it seems to have Yoshi pretty high up there, over characters people tend to think are better than him (like Diddy).

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Happy new years folks. How do you think you improved as a smasher over the course of 2015?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Happy New Year for you too!

If I'd resume my progress in the last year, i'd say that from a fat yoshi main, I became a salty fat yoshi main :p

Jokes aside, I don't feel like I had much progress in my gameplay in general...
I improved my edgeguarding game and now i'm a little less reckless on other people's shield, but i'm still with that problem of being annoyed when people survive at big %s.

Hydrobyte

~ If It Is To Be, It Is Up To Me ~
NNID
Hydrabyte
Happy New Years!!!

I've definitely improved a ton. I started taking tournaments seriously again around February. I went from average player to one of the best in my region. And my brother and I are one of the best, if not the best, consistent doubles team in Pennsylvania, taking 1st just about everywhere we go. I'm definitely not even close to being a top player, but I'm hoping to be making it in majors in 2016-17, with Yoshi nonetheless.

What about you guys? Any achievements or tournaments you're proud of? How do you think you've advanced as a player?

Last edited:

Hydrobyte

~ If It Is To Be, It Is Up To Me ~
NNID
Hydrabyte
And regarding that tier list, I disagree with a lot of it honestly. I think Luigi is still at least A- tier. My brother and doubles partner mains Luigi, and does exceptionally well with him. Even with the nerf to his down throw, his damage output is still obscene. And regarding the down throw, against more than half the cast he still gets the same damage that he did pre-nerf, sometimes more, and on fastfallers like Fox, Shiek, and Falcon, Luigi gets ~63% guaranteed off of one grab from 0%. Also, kill options like Dsmash got buffed, not to mention the change to his jab a while back that allows for jab 1 -> UpB to true combo around ~55-85% on the majority of the cast. Other reasons as well, but that's just my opinion and this thread isn't about Luigi.
I'm glad to see Villager making strides to the top as well. And Falco should be a tier or two higher. Otherwise it's decently accurate.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
And Fox... Fox is top 5 imo. The character is heavily slept on
I actually completely agree that Fox is super slept on. I dont think he's top 5 (cuz Sheik/ZSS/Ryu/Rosy/Pika are imo top 5) but not far behind. It pains me to see him placed sub top 10 so often when he's broke af.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Hi. Could anyone tell me what Yoshi's worst matchups are? (Apart from Sheik or SSS if they're bad)? Thanks

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Hi. Could anyone tell me what Yoshi's worst matchups are? (Apart from Sheik or SSS if they're bad)? Thanks
Yoshi's worst matchups (as per my opinion) are Diddy and Sheik. Diddy being worse of a matchup. I feel like Yoshi has some of the best consistency among characters though in that we don't really lose any 1 match vs ANY character badly.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I think it's basically agreed upon that Diddy is by far the worst. I'm not sure if Sheik is the next but it's likely.

Top Bottom