• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YGD - As the snow melts, the mighty Dinosaur rises once more!

Best Yoshi Attack

• Total voters

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Btw P:M Yoshi is annoying. For me at least. It's basically melee Yoshi without the brawl buffs. His up b doesn't give him a lift anymore. His aerial mobility is actually slower now to match the one he had in melee. They nerfed the hell out of his pivot grab its like useless compared to his brawl one. You can cancel side b now and it also helps you recover because it doesn't fall completely when you use it but the egg throw lift is better imo. His down b is stronger. Down smash is strong again. DJC is back so combos are mostly going to be horizontal ones which isn't necessarily bad I'm just pointing it out. His egg lay isn't as useful for spacing or approaching because his aerial mobility is slower. Although I think it's harder to get out of the egg. Dash towards your opponent, wave dash to pivot grab isn't as useful as I thought it would be since the pivot grab doesn't grab (honestly I might just have to get used to it or something idk) I think his super armor is the same as the Brawl one. I can't tell for sure cause I only played him like 5 matches before losing interest. I might get to play today so I'll see if I notice anything else.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Wow, really? Project Melee makes the characters feel like Melee again?
Never knew. Down smash and B being strong is basically melee, while no jumps from UpB as well.
P:M is just, as many others said before, a mary sue mod smashing (no pun intended) Melee and brawl together and making a huge gimmick mod.

Still dunno why it's so damn hyped and almost every Smash thread I go through on /v/ is just hyping it sum more while there's some people trying to pound some sense into the stupids oar me. It really isn't that big of a deal, it seems absolutely boring and even more unappealing than brawl matches, and that's saying something.

Depster

Smash Champion
I like Melee Yoshi. On a cool note, for our local IEEE club here at WWU, we had a small singles brawl tourney that I ran. And won. lol

Only used Yoshi once since unfairness vs scrubs. I think I used gnw twice but other than that I used a different character every game.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
There are things I like about Melee Yoshi, but I vastly prefer Brawl Yoshi and am quite disappointed with P:M Yoshi.

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Btw P:M Yoshi is annoying. For me at least. It's basically melee Yoshi without the brawl buffs. His up b doesn't give him a lift anymore. His aerial mobility is actually slower now to match the one he had in melee. They nerfed the hell out of his pivot grab its like useless compared to his brawl one. You can cancel side b now and it also helps you recover because it doesn't fall completely when you use it but the egg throw lift is better imo. His down b is stronger. Down smash is strong again. DJC is back so combos are mostly going to be horizontal ones which isn't necessarily bad I'm just pointing it out. His egg lay isn't as useful for spacing or approaching because his aerial mobility is slower. Although I think it's harder to get out of the egg. Dash towards your opponent, wave dash to pivot grab isn't as useful as I thought it would be since the pivot grab doesn't grab (honestly I might just have to get used to it or something idk) I think his super armor is the same as the Brawl one. I can't tell for sure cause I only played him like 5 matches before losing interest. I might get to play today so I'll see if I notice anything else.

Shoutout to the only thing I can agree with raptor on, pm is trash that destroys the smash community and that proliferates scrubs that go on saying that brawl sucks but that would get jv 4 stocked by my boy gyk in any game(shoutouts to gyk)

Sharky

Smash Master
Project m could have held some hype for me if they didn't take so damn long on it. I know they just want a good game but it's been like two years now for a mod.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Just messed around with project M. It's interesting to say the least, but there's a big thinking curve since you have to remember that everyone's recoveries suck compared to brawl. Yoshi's egg lay range is ridiculous (nearly twice as much as his normal grabs!!) and his ability to take advantage of frame trapping is fairly good (especially with melee's eggs). His recovery is definitely more suitable than most recoveries since he can cover both horizontal and vertical fairly decently, but the trade-off is lack of upB boost. Eggroll is decent (puting that mildly), but the appliance of a mixup is really garbage. The speed it gives is the only thing that's useful. Only saving grace in terms of recovery mixup is that wavebouncing with egglay is still there, but only effective when falling from high up.

Overall though, it's nice. Fun to **** around with, and surprisingly nice in terms of the animations they did (though some you can notice them skimping on others like Yoshi's up-tilt lol).

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I also just messed around with P:M Yoshi. I gotta say its really interesting. The tools they game yoshi i assume would give a technical player a lot of interesting mixups and options. The DJC serves as a wavedash, dragon reverse(infinitely easier to perform), and combo tool all in one. The different hights above the ground at which you DJC give you something different. Combing DJC with l-cancelling and you can pull off some pretty crazy quick and crazy stuff. The move i live most when utilized with l-cancelling is down air. It alone does around 50 like in melee and can be strung into practically anything. Heck, even eggroll if effective offensively now I think.

Also like Scatz said, egg lay's range is ridiculou. If your quick enough, it might be a good replacement to pivot grab(since its less useful than in brawl). But yea lack of up-b boost is disappointing. Though i wanna see Yoshi in the hands of someone like VectorMan or aMSa

Scatz

Smash Champion
Airborne and I talked about it last night. They turned him into an offensive powerhouse. He's got frame traps, good mixups, accurate punishes (they actually fixed his blindspot issues), and has plenty of power to kill. Only requirement is the techskill needed to utilize them. Egg roll is fast enough to possibly be a good punish and when he gets out of the egg, the shell hits for damage (and possibly setting up for a combo). His game boils down to overwhelming his opponent, or die from being knocked off the map lol.

BTW, DR was just a gimped version of Wavedash lol.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Shoutout to the only thing I can agree with raptor on, pm is trash that destroys the smash community and that proliferates scrubs that go on saying that brawl sucks but that would get jv 4 stocked by my boy gyk in any game(shoutouts to gyk)
We both agree GYK is the greatest smasher to ever live.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I dunno its hard to explain but I just really ****ing hate P:M Yoshi, he doesnt feel right and I dont like the direction they took with him.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Yea the lack of previous aerial athority and flexibility is what i really don't like. Personally, i think the nerfing of his up-b hop was stupid and it was a completely nessecery buff given to Yoshi in brawl. When i'm not used to at all is feeling defensless offstage. None of Yoshi's previous options of defence or evasion in getting back onstage(from brawl) or offstage edge-guarding are viable anymore. Ya know, without dying.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Given the fact he has good aerial mobility with vertical praise from DJ. It would probably make his recovery top tier to have the bounce. Not only that, but he can protect himself with eggs since they no longer break at a certain point. While I do hate that they left the hops out, I can somewhat understand the reason for taking it out. If they allowed for just 1 hop instead of Brawl's 5 hops, it'd make it much more fair.

I can understand Raptor's reasons for his aerial game too. The extra gravity and fall speeds make his aerial game less potent. Though, I'll need to experiment more before making more accusations.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I messed up the sentence lol. I meant that IF he had the hops, it would make his recovery top tier since he could use them to protect himself while recovering. If they gave him just one hop instead of multiple, then it'd probably be fair.

Also, you have to remember that it's a Melee mod. In Melee, everyone's recovery was super garbage compared to how Brawl's is (with the exception of Link and Samus).

Scatz

Smash Champion
I meant in retrospect to original Melee. I don't know how well everyone's recovery is in P:M. So I assumed it was as close to Melee as possible.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I like Yoshi because of his mobility and his great air/grab game. In P:M, he's literally just DJC combos. Nothing similar. Dont get me wrong, Yoshi is really good in P:M, hes just COMPLETELY different playstyle wise and, seeing as most Yoshi fans including me got used to Yoshi being as he is now and growing to love that playstyle, making a 360 in the characters entire direction is imo the reason as to why most of us dont like him.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
The one time I check your profile. XD Ha ha! My man showing that love <3

Pm is Melee, only slower and a little off balanced. Played it, don't care about it. Melee or go home!

@ Raptor, improve your Yoshi play-style, till this day, I can still read you like a book~

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I honestly have no idea what you're typing about.

Melee is the real thing. I'd quit Brawl in heartbeat (if Melee had WiFi). That's the only reason why I bought Brawl in the beginning. Now, I put too much time into it to just leave it; I'll still play Brawl more than Melee or 64, but Melee and 64 are the best SSB games.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Brawl isnt dead, you want an example of a game that IS dead? Playstation Allstars.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I like Yoshi because of his mobility and his great air/grab game. In P:M, he's literally just DJC combos. Nothing similar. Dont get me wrong, Yoshi is really good in P:M, hes just COMPLETELY different playstyle wise and, seeing as most Yoshi fans including me got used to Yoshi being as he is now and growing to love that playstyle, making a 360 in the characters entire direction is imo the reason as to why most of us dont like him.
Lol.
Same reason why I can't stand PM lucario. They took a character that can deal with any situation, and play both offensively and defensivly quite well.... and turned him into a completely momentum based rushdown character, with a buncha street fighter clone visuals for no other reason then "LUCARIO SHOOTS HADOKENS DURRRR"

uhg.
**** Lucaryu

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I dont like how they added extra lag to Yoshi's aerials so you can't perform another right before you hit the ground. No more SH Aerials + DJ aerial followup. Or any aerial strings for that matter.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
but I am notorious for slayingT Yoshi's around the USA.
First I beat Hades, then Raptor was too scared to go Yoshi against me, then Delta was too scared to play me all together.
He was so scared he wouldn't even go clubbing with me.

Slush is the only Yoshi to ever defeat me.

My Zelda's ImpacT is far too great for the numerous Yoshi mains.

Top Bottom