• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YGD - As the snow melts, the mighty Dinosaur rises once more!

Best Yoshi Attack

• Total voters

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Why did this turn into how successful each Yoshi is? Just stop being negative and ****ting on people's goals and undermining others accomplishments. Simple.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
You guys forgetting Zude?

Back on topic, what counts as "successful" these days? Winning a local would have no weight compared to a major, but if you're stuck with locals does that mean you can never be seen as "good" or "successful" until you go interstate/international for majors and do well?

D

Deleted member 189823

Back on topic, what counts as "successful" these days? Winning a local would have no weight compared to a major, but if you're stuck with locals does that mean you can never be seen as "good" or "successful" until you go interstate/international for majors and do well?
That...does seem to be the case, actually. Look at a few good European players. A few of them haven't been to big, national tournaments in the U.S and stuff.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Damn. I've been out the game for so long that I don't even get mentioned. It's cool though.

I beat everyone in Yoshi dittos, Top Yoshi plz.

Actually, Karamity beat me at Apex 2012 in the ditto. So Inuily, he's Top Yoshi.

For real guys, this doesn't even matter cuz the Brawl metagame has stagnated to the top MKs and ICs. I still ****in' love this game, but competing in it is kinda lame. ICs aren't even that good I still wish top MKs would get it together and not play like scrubs against 'em.

As far as Smash 4 goes, I dunno if I'll be competing in it (probably will cuz I'll still be a college kid), but I make no promises to main Yoshi. Yoshi got lucky I liked him in this game, even if I do love the little Dino.
Rematch :) You still never gimped me like you wanted to. You can't take top Yoshi until you can beat me like you did with the others.

As it stands for Smash 4, (if I get the game...) Mario will be m mechanics engine tester, Yoshi will have first test to see changes, then I go down the list of chars that interest me from looks and playstyle. If I buy the game, it's most likely because I have a character(s) that make me feel happy playing again.

I conceded your point. :[

Anyway, irrelevant question: How does one improve if most of their region is pretty bad? Something that isn't going abroad, I mean. Relying on wifi is urgh......
Extremely tough thing to do unless you travel. You can do WiFi, but it sucks in my opinion. Experience is what you have to go after when you hit a limit. You can train as much tech skill as possible, but it won't do you any good if you don't have the matchup experience to know when to apply them.

Successful highly depends on how competitive people are. You can be successful by winning locals (weak ones) in the eyes of casual players. You can be successful if you are a contender in locals against other high players around your group (semi-casual). You can be successful if you're able to place at an appropriate number (top 8-16) in regionals, nationals, internationals (tends to vary on skill level of tournament) (competitive). You can be successful if you're consistently placing top 8 (or winning) in everything you go to (hardcore competitive). When you look to be successful in other areas (namely higher up, your wins/accomplishes can mean less too.

Why did this turn into how successful each Yoshi is? Just stop being negative and ****ting on people's goals and undermining others accomplishments. Simple.
Kiss your Yoshi plush moar plz.

Btw, I was one of the main people talking about how many players shouldn't have been running into the moves Polt threw out when he was playing. I ended up pulling in Celes and Yika whenever we had discussions about it. While we can talk about this stuff till we're blue in the face, we're also not playing consistently or playing to win in the most competitive sense. There's tons of what ifs and crap, but we won't know since it didn't happen for the most part (like the hype on my skill level despite me doing anything with it outside of making it to R2 pools in Apex 2012).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Scatz and Yika were our professors of Yoshi.
Also since getting good means to go travel, sucks that it also means you need a lot of money to waste on plane tickets and such if you want to do that. Though like I said earlier a bit too late for that since a lot of good players have quit.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Rematch :) You still never gimped me like you wanted to. You can't take top Yoshi until you can beat me like you did with the others.

As it stands for Smash 4, (if I get the game...) Mario will be m mechanics engine tester, Yoshi will have first test to see changes, then I go down the list of chars that interest me from looks and playstyle. If I buy the game, it's most likely because I have a character(s) that make me feel happy playing again.
I will destroy youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of traveling*, I'm currently on vacation in Tokyo for the second of two weeks. Wanting to see the smashers I met at APEX, and out of curiosity, I stopped by at Piosuma yesterday. No Karamity, but I met Karaage and Aiba who are two other Yoshi mains that were helping run the tourney. They were both really friendly, and while I wasn't able play any friendlies with them as we had wanted to, I sat with them (and Choco the ZSS main) when a number of us went out to eat afterwards.

*Obviously, you whippersnappers should have been born sooner and graduated already and gotten full-time jobs with real incomes so you have money to travel (of course, with the full-time jobs comes the inevitable sharp decline in the amount of time you'll be playing any video games and the likely decline in the drive you'll have to spend your limited free time preparing for and/or going to tourneys).

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I suck at the Yoshi ditto...

Well I have a question. More geared towards getting better and play style. What would be Yoshi's most effective overall mindset? Aggro, campy, counter-offensive, super defensive, etc.

Also, would it be reasonable to say that Florida(since I live here) is a good area to get better? I have occasional practice with a bunch of FL top players

Scatz

Smash Champion
Before I get into it, Campy and Super Defensive are the same thing lol.

In a general sense, you want to have a balance of them all. Your two main playstyles to know are Offensive and Defensive. There's sub playstyles from them like counter offensive, counter defensive, all out offensive, and all out defensive. Main thing you need to understand is that certain matchups will force you to use one of those playstyles (since the other will be ineffective).

Start off with a more defensive style to understand what the character can do to you, and what you can do to them. You'll most likely have a skewed opinion if you play with top players all the time since they know how to get around stuff fairly quickly. As you understand how to play against players around (and slightly above) your skill level, you can learn to take a more offensive playstyle. You might end up doing a counter offensive playstyle as you try to understand playing smartly while being aggressive, but that's fine. The better you get at handling the styles, the better you'll be able to handle players and matchups that come against you.

Flordia is a good spot to play (depends on the exact location). As long as you're around an active and fairly high skill level community, you can get better overtime if you understand how to do your research and practice in a smart manner.

Edit: Huh. writing this out made me think about how I'm technically a counter-style based person. XD

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Would it be a fair claim to say Yoshi's one of the most agile and slippery characters in the game? :p

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Almost everything looks the same in Smash 4. Air speed and such, B reversals etc. just need to know mostly about shield, how his UpB is like now and when the cute ****** is getting shown already.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I don't know who i'm gonna main when smash 4 comes ouuuuut.
I had my heart set on maining Lu again. But if Yoshi has a normal shield, I just don't know. ;~;

EDIT:

OH!
And happy Free Candy day everyone~! :D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No one ever said you needed to EAT the candy, you can do whatever you want with it, the options are virtually limitless.

D

Deleted member 189823

Why not? e.e
I started this game kind of "late". I'd hate to just let go of the time I've been putting into it, though...even if it's not as much as you guys'.
I want to be good at this game, at least. We also don't have that much of an idea of what Smash 4's gameplay going to be like, exactly.

So, you're going to play both?
I suppose...assuming I get a Wii U, first. Considering I live in Argentina and the Dollar is getting rather out of hand...it may not be anytime soon.

D

Deleted member 189823

I also have a 3DS, but who the heck will play Smash competetively on that...me

I will inevitably get a WiiU mainly for Brawl 4 & Zelda. Mainly for Zelda.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I also have a 3DS, but who the heck will play Smash competetively on that...me
I'm thinking about getting a 3DS just to play smash 4 and Mario Kart 7.

Brawl Yoshi isn't funny for me anymore,I'm using kirby a lot more lol,let's see if smash 4 or PM 3.0 will fix it.

D

Deleted member 189823

Oh hey, Lukinhasss. ;o
You should really get a WiiU if you want to play Brawl 4 competetively. You really don't want to buy one for it, and break it within the first two days or so.

Top Bottom