• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YGD - As the snow melts, the mighty Dinosaur rises once more!

Best Yoshi Attack

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 189823

If you want to be a nobody, go to a big tournament and have top players say "who is this?" on stream.
:[
I'd feel pretty bad about it. But worse would be if a high-level player wouldn't even take me seriously during the match...

And you know what's BS. Yoshi DI.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Pretty sure hardly anyone takes yoshi seriously unless they're ones that're playing brawl/top players constantly till they finally become half decent threats.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
One day we'll get 'em to take us seriously :) I intend to reach that goal before Smash 4 comes out and "Brawl dies".

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Do you live in NY/NJ? Cause if you don't, you won't get gud anytime soon.
Cause those two places are not only the most active, but where all the top players flock to play brawl and battle 1-4th for money.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
While that's the exact same comments I get in skype all the time, I just tend to say the truth whether people don't like the way I say it or not lol.

Even if your scene is active, depending what state and such it is, it's either full of ****ters/literally whobodies with maybe a half good whobody that gets 1st or 2nd at all your locals and gets a decent placing at a bigger regional or even out of pools in a national only to lose back2back which is basically the same as losing in pools, or one or two actual national/regional threats that you should very likely play with quite a bit and ask what you're doing wrong to improve and then go test it out on the ****ters in your town/tournaments, as long as they're not the type of top player that stays in their circlejerk of friends and only wants to play/talk with the top players instead of the low tier trash players.

Cause playing the same person too many times can create bad habits for at least that character when you're accustomed to one fighting style compared to the other top players of that character if you manage to get a decent amount of games with them.

Though in this dying brawl age it'd be anything past Wario or Toon Link you're prolly playing against when it use to be anything above ROB (v7 tierlist), cause most of the mid/low tier menaces have long quit.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Slush, for the love of god stop being so pessimistic.

If there aren't any over the top examples with Yoshi, does that mean they we are all bad? No. It just means they have to be the example. If that's the way you look at things, that's fine, but don't drag everybody's hopes into that mud hole. Granted, you're somewhat right about NY/NJ. BUT WAIT!

I'm a Midwest player (which people presume is super bad all time), but I can and I have beaten Raptor and gone even with Delta. I even had my short time as the top Yoshi. but things like that shouldn't happen for Ohio players right? Cause' you know

Not like we believe or anything

Sharky

Smash Master
Hai delta! Also slush is right except I'm not in ny anymore so florida is clearly the best state now. THE BLOOD GOD RISES...AGAIN!

On a more serious note, my everything hurts. Training just picked up a lot for me lol. I da bess at irl flutter kicks get at me.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
If there aren't any over the top examples with Yoshi, does that mean they we are all bad? No.
Actually that means Yoshi is not a very good character to play this game competitively.

The truth is: Yoshi sucks,we'll probably never reach extremely good placings at big tourneys.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
You think slush is right when he says unless you're from ny/nj you have no hope? Slush's way of thinking is skewed. Whenever there's something good or promising he looks for reasons to bring it down with his pessimism. Nikes, if you think the way Slush does you won't ever get anywhere and that's for anything in life. Keep going for your "goal".

Also, don't try to take shots at me. If it actually bothered me that I fill the pot for NY tourneys I would have stopped attending a long time ago lol.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Slush, for the love of god stop being so pessimistic.

I'd rather be sane pessimistic and right over positive gullible and wrong most of the time. So no.

If there aren't any over the top examples with Yoshi, does that mean they we are all bad? No. It just means they have to be the example. If that's the way you look at things, that's fine, but don't drag everybody's hopes into that mud hole.
95% of us are bad, half decent being Delta and Raptor (well more of raptor Delta busy with school, only really active yoshi cause lives in really active scene) who're picking at the 4th/5th spots of the best character back when the top 5 thread existed.
Alright, I maybe dragging their hopes down... but it's better for them and the truth lol. If they truly cared about being the best, they should've done it when everything was still bustling and those top players existed. Now, like I said, they're just picking at the 4th-probably 7th best at the character now, or even 1st-3rd best I should say since the actual 1st-3rd best of the top/mid tiers these two have been taking out have long quit/don't care about the game and gone rusty/changed characters.

Just wait till Smash 4 to go and make a name for yourself. Came late, took too long to get that attitude where "I want to be the very best like no one ever was!", or simply out of luck for finally getting good but all the top players are gone and the only ones you'll find are maining characters past ZSS.

Only time I'll actually even feel impressed is if you somehow take out someone like zero nairo salem etc. with Yoshi in a month or two before APEX 2014. Cause I feel with each major national, the game stagnants even more along with more top players quitting.

I'm a Midwest player (which people presume is super bad all time), but I can and I have beaten Raptor and gone even with Delta. I even had my short time as the top Yoshi. but things like that shouldn't happen for Ohio players right?
I guess good for you fer being slightly better at the Yoshi ditto than others?
Top Yoshi? I dunno who you are, cause Polt Zude Bwett (to an extent) and Delta are the only ones I can think of that were our top Yoshi's in the past 5 years.

You think slush is right when he says unless you're from ny/nj you have no hope?
No, cause you're looking at it the wrong way lol. I said "soon" to nikes cause it means he can get good... if he spends a longer time to get better since his scene isn't as active nor has as many top players crawling around like NY/NJ that he can constantly play and by the time he gets around the time he can almost go even with them or even get past 13th/17th curse, Smash 4 will already be out.

If you're in NY/NJ you just have a better chance to get better cause you can hopefully get a lot of friendlies with them, I mean... you don't actually think you'd get better at the game playing with bad people and only playing once or twice every few weeks compared to playing against vinnie M2k or mvd in friendlies and constantly keeping your fingers up to speed so you don't mess up Yoshi's annoying techs doing this stuff in training mode, do you?

Slush's way of thinking is skewed. Whenever there's something good or promising he looks for reasons to bring it down with his pessimism. Nikes, if you think the way Slush does you won't ever get anywhere and that's for anything in life. Keep going for your "goal".
It's pretty skewed I admit, but it's also cause I'm bored and I do it cause it's hilarious, especially when most of the time I'm doing it, it's in the skype group. So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt especially when I'm doing it cause I'm bored and feel like entertaining myself.
Also you're half wrong about the life part. Pretty sure the most money grubbing, negative, horrible way of thinking people while also thinking anyone below them is trash for not being successful are at the top of the world when it comes to big companies and being rich.

I mean... good job I guess? You beat Fatal or whatever who is getting bored of the game and is quitting APEX 2014. If only it happened earlier where people could actually care even more about that win and when the cancerous Top 5 thread would explode about ****ty Yoshi mains actually taking a dent into the pro Snake top 5.

Also, don't try to take shots at me. If it actually bothered me that I fill the pot for NY tourneys I would have stopped attending a long time ago lol.
Dunno why I can't when you did.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
I'm MX, but Karaoke Man is my new tag.

There's 3 ways to go about stories of reality, Slush. There's the optimistic reality, the "set in stone" reality, and there's the pessimistic reality. If you think negatively, negative things will happen. You telling everybody "Unless you live in NY/NJ, you are bad" is just silly. Yoshi is not the greatest character, but the Player has to make up for what he isn't good for and make him better than he is now. And I don't mean this arrogantly, but...

Not only can I actually beat them, I don't even need to ditto them to beat them or any of the Yoshi's really, and I'm not necessarily talking about using characters like Diddy Kong or Ice Climbers either. I'm from OH and I played mostly on wifi before I started going to offline tournaments in general. Heck, I even WON a decent local tourney here going mostly Yoshi earlier this year. Does that make me a bad player? It doesn't. Just like something like that doesn't make any of us bad players.

Tell ya what, If I make a trip down to San Antonio at some point, I will MM your Yoshi with Ganondorf so I can show you just how "bad" I really am.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I didn't say people are bad if they don't live in NY/NJ. I said unless they don't live there, they are not getting fast good and difficult practice anytime soon cause most states don't care anymore or everyone has quit long ago already, SA is more of practicing league to git gud instead of brawl while playing pokemon x/y.
Hell K prime didn't even wanna go to WHOBO 5 despite spending 50 something bucks already. Just shows how much we actually care.

Also beating me with ganondorf doesn't prove anything other than you've been constantly playing brawl on and off in the span of days or weeks while I haven't even picked up my controller or even plugged my wii in for almost 6 months.
So an around decent player like you that still takes the game seriously and practices on and off managed to beat another half decent player that hasn't played brawl in months, good job I guess?

Dunno about top yoshi fer a time, cause that's always been delta until school got in his way for tournaments, now Raptor is about the only active Yoshi that's doing decent in tournaments where he lives.

Scatz

Smash Champion
You get better by traveling to multiple regions. NY/NJ just happens to be the better area to be in since a lot of activity happens regional-wise. Stop arguing about what it takes to be a top player or that Yoshi sucks in Brawl or w/e. It's important, but there's no reason to completely shoot down people's hopes before they have the chance to go through the experience we did. You can be more of a realist and let people know it's going to be a much tougher road to be a top player compared to other characters. Not only that, but understand, if we were going to be top players without holding us back, we'd be trying to play MK or w/e character(s) that would allow us to win every set. Are we top players as a whole in the community? No, more along the lines of honorary for sticking to our main. Are we top players within our character? Yes.

Or you know... You can be much more of a realist and admit that Brawl is a terrible game balance wise, and enjoyment wise. Besides, this is boring to talk about. I'd rather talk about how we're going to tackle Smash 4 or something that's productive.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Pretty much, I started finding brawl boring and actually annoying around last year when I housed jrugs for a week. Just playing his IC and Zelda was annoying me when I was Luigi/Lucario. So I accepted it being a bad game forever ago, which is why I'm tellin' people to just look forward to Smash 4 and hope Yoshi is top tier so we can **** faces and get cash monies.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
1.) I've been retired, handling things outside of the game.
2.) Decently as in decently sized.

You've payed absolutely no attention to any activity of mine, haven't seen me play since maybe Apex 2012 and you're going to tell me I'm "decent"? lol okay. I do play the game still as of recently, but just for fun. Before around the beginning of October, I hadn't played in a little under 2 months and even before that it was seldom.

You become a non-default top 5 yoshi and then you can come talk about players that you know almost nothing about's skill level. Even still you can accomplish a lot of things if you stop whining about the things that can't be done and put more effort into the things that can. Optimism can change a lot of things like negativity for example ^^

and it doesn't matter if you haven't played for 6 months and it wouldn't matter if you haven't played for 2 years, that mu is free. Easy money right? If I can place 9th/29 at a tourney I didn't care about going 8 different characters that were not "good" by tier list standards, you have no gall to call anyone else "decent" if you can't even place top 45 with just :yoshi2:. Don't come at me with that bull****

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I beat everyone in Yoshi dittos, Top Yoshi plz.

Actually, Karamity beat me at Apex 2012 in the ditto. So Inuily, he's Top Yoshi.

For real guys, this doesn't even matter cuz the Brawl metagame has stagnated to the top MKs and ICs. I still ****in' love this game, but competing in it is kinda lame. ICs aren't even that good I still wish top MKs would get it together and not play like scrubs against 'em.

As far as Smash 4 goes, I dunno if I'll be competing in it (probably will cuz I'll still be a college kid), but I make no promises to main Yoshi. Yoshi got lucky I liked him in this game, even if I do love the little Dino.

D

Deleted member 189823

Seems I arrived a day or two late to the party...anyway, I don't mean to kick on the dead puppy, but I feel like adressing on some things that have been said.

To an extent, I can sort of agree with SinisterSlush's points of view, because I myself and a few others suffer it in our terribly small "community". Argentina. We hardly get any improvement, having started to play Brawl competetively at least 2 years after it's release (would say 3 years to begin to follow an actual metagame).
However, I have some faith...I'm not pessimist that there is chance of improvement, which is why I've invited Zero (along with other good Chilean players) over here for a possible national (everything here is a local, at best) in December. I also may very very likely go to SKTAR 3 next year (or KTAR), which is my chance to absorb some of the things I could learn over at the U.S.

EDIT: By the way, I find it silly how people are finding an excuse on Smash 4 for abandoning Brawl...I mean, people still play Melee (arguably bigger than Brawl itself?) and even Smash 64.

D

Deleted member 189823

But that's subjective. If you prefer faster-paced games, then yeah, they are "better". Also in terms of balance, if you may...but I have yet to lose very tragically to lose hope in that and stop believing that there may be a chance for us Mid/Low/Low-Mid tiers.

Besides, my goal isn't to liek, get 1st in every important tournament. Between the Top 10 is fine by me. I'm not greedy at all...

D

Deleted member 189823

How much better is Melee than Brawl in terms of balance? I felt much worse using Bowser against say, Fox. I couldn't even move.

Also I don't play MMOs.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
LoL isnt an MMO.

And the overall balance in Brawl is better, yes, but the upper tier balance in Melee is MUCH better, and in the end allows more viable options. Also, the game mechanics and the overall way the game works allows for a much more in depth experience at high levels, making it a better game to both watch AND play at a competitive level.

And just because low tiers in Brawl are better than they are in Melee doesnt mean that the balance is better. In both games, anyone low tier is pretty much not even a factor at high level play, and of the viable characters, Melee is more balanced and has more diversity.

D

Deleted member 189823

I conceded your point. :[

Anyway, irrelevant question: How does one improve if most of their region is pretty bad? Something that isn't going abroad, I mean. Relying on wifi is urgh......

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I conceded your point. :[

Anyway, irrelevant question: How does one improve if most of their region is pretty bad? Something that isn't going abroad, I mean. Relying on wifi is urgh......
Are you the best in your region?

If going abroads not an answer, and wifi ain't your cup of tea, all that's left to do is to play against those who are better then you, and train against em until your idols become your rivals.

Ha.
Sorry if thats a half ass answer but that's all I got.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Learn to talk to yourself as you play and really think about what youre doing, and tell yourself as you do it. It sounds weird, but it helps A LOT in recognizing patterns in both yourself and the opponent and helps you get over habits. Also, recording/saving replays and watching to see where you got beat and why, then comparing against higher level players and watching how they handle the situation and trying to do that yourself.

One of the best things to do is to play players better than yourself in your region and pay attention to what you did that allowed them to get in, and how they DID get in. Afterwards, ask them questions on how to improve, how they got in, any weaknesses they see in your style, any habits you have, etc. Theres a lot more than just that, but its a good start.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Basically what Gashi said. Just be careful not to over-analyze the scenario while doing so. It suuuuuuucks
Honestly, even though you'll hate it (we all do, really) hop on that wifi. It may suck, but you'll have a much better chance of finding players that you can challenge yourself with. You don't have to take it super duper seriously (wouldn't recommend it anyway), but the learning experience will help you become better in the end. Besides, whatever you struggle to do online

you will come out doing 4x better offline

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
I mean, no hate or anything Slush. Optimism on what Yoshi mains can do with their skill with the character are one of the only things we have going for us when it comes down to it. Raptor has worked unbelievably hard to earn all that he's done and so did I when I played competitively. To say that we're "decent" after accomplishing such feats is like the ultimate middle finger. The character is decent-ish, yes, but it's the player that makes it happen with Yoshi/anyone. You can do it too, Slush. You just have to believe you can and keep the optimism going.

Like seriously if Gashi beat like....Kain with his Bowser, I'd be the first one asking for his autograph.
I apologize for being so rude folks. I didn't mean to turn this reunion into a tornado warning

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush

Anyways, here's how I see/rank players. Not gonna use other people just incase they still namesearch so Yoshi's instead.
Top Level
???
High Level
Polt Delta Raptor
Mid High Level
MX
Mid Level
Gashi Me
Low mid level
???
Low Level
???

Just random yoshi mains but Polt is maybe the only Yoshi that was the closest to a top level, just he sadly didn't get very far in national level tournaments due to the fact it's Yoshi.
I mean, while we're on this subject, me shooting down some people could relate to how people like celes yika etc. would always disapprove of the people who play against polt and nitpick at everything. Especially when it involved MK, people gliding into fsmash, he isn't good and all that so on and so on.
So ya, not just me that does this, others did it to the past with Polt.

To be honest, TX has a lot of prominent players. Like... we basically have (or at least had) 4 or 5 of the best characters like Sonic Snake Diddy Lucario samus etc. Just I wasn't a good enough player to get better and I actually got worse cause not only was I playing only during tournaments when I was active. Even upon moving to SA I still didn't play at all and the tournament scene for brawl/TX was starting to die down in late 2011, basically after the LCS for us.

I mean I may have done good in a tournament or two in 2012, but my best wins is Nike and Sync. Both Mid High or even High level players.

Decent might be a bit much, but once again you're ruling only you and raptor out. The decent thing is directed towards everyone, not just you two. So yeah... Nikes rel swei all Yoshi's, Decent and such. Like... if I got 1st in a limping dead scene/state, that doesn't mean I'm good. Just semi-free money attained while I go to a national and get my ass beat like the ****ter I am.

Edit: will say first post was directed towards everyone, the deeper we got into this, the more the "decent" word was being thrown around by all of us.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
My bad, I meant to put them up there too, but Raptor and I were the only ones you referred to as "decent" at this time. Delta can't be "decent" because he is the Deltagod

My state isn't dead however. In fact, I beat #3 in my state both in pools and in GF's at the tourney that I won. I mean there were players there could've beaten me at any point in time, but I never dropped a single set that entire tournament. I may have switched a few times, but at least 93% of it all, I was Yoshi. Tourney before that, I 2-0's LOE1 (who's like #2 or #3 in MI atm) in pools, and took player-1 to game 3. I know that's not a victory, but it's a testament of skill. Those aren't all I've done either, just examples. Doesn't help that I can't show it to people cause' videos of my matches never really got put up.

That's the thing, you are a good player. You just need believe in yourself not only as a player, but as a person. That and well...not giving up so easily. Just like anyone has it, you have the potential as well. Yourself should be the last person that you shoot down.

You never know. You could become better than all the Yoshi's. I say that for everyone else in here too.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yooooooooooo. This is so serious.

I'm just gonna say, I'm clearly a top level player because I beat all the other top level players in All Brawl all the time.

Also, Slush potentially = Karamity for best Yoshi.

Top Bottom