• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Awesome. J Allard said they'd have final dev kits to developers by July and they do.

Two screens from Project Gotham Racing:

Itagaki from Team Ninja also said today in an article on GameSpot that Microsoft will have a large announcement later this month, and Team Ninja is very excited for it and are considering making a trailer for it. He also says they're too busy to think about things other than DOA4 right now, so chances are it's going to be DOA4 in a more 360 form, not looking like a current Xbox title.

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Wow, I thought those were real pictures of some company building, but then I scrolled up and saw the game.....****, whatever...

I don't even want to think of what games the generation after next will look like.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you've heard only a few xbox games will work on the x360.. it's probably from someone looking to down play microsofts new gen console.

If you listen to/read what microsoft has said.. the x360 will have backwards compatibility with as many games as possible without wasting time, effort and money on trying to get every single game working. However, they have said that the most popular xbox titles will work. So you won't be disappointed when trying to play halo1/2 on your brand new x360.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
solidsnake2234 said:
I heard that the 360 will only have backwards compatibilaty for only a few xbox games. I would go with PS3
I heard you should bring all your Sony Love to the Console Debate thread and not into the singular Console threads.

Those pictures look good but where are the cars? It's a racing game isn't it?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Evolution of the 360:

Another fancy Project Gotham 3 screen:

Also, X05 has been confirmed to take place October 4th and 5th. Microsoft always has some big stuff to say/show at X05. We could possibly see Halo 3 (likely to be a small teaser if so) or they may just show off 360 stuff in final form, all games and such should be done by then and be in production if they plan to release by November.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
VERY impressive.

I wonder how long it takes developers to go into that kind of detail in an environment, and with that, how often will the public see new games produced? I can't help but think that with all of this advancement in graphics, are we really just shooting ourselves in the foot?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'm looking forward to see on 360, PS3 or Rev (though unlikely) what the next GTA will end up looking like. I mean, Rockstar could've put so much more detail into Vice City and San Andreas after just testing the pre-game out with GTA3. Speaking of the next GTA, it'll be more of what everyone wants most likely. There will be able to be tons of citizens on screen at once, tons of cars, planes, buildings, everything. We won't be running around downtown and seeing 3 or 4 people anymore and a single car.

Microsoft also recently got exclusive rights to produce a MMO game with Marvel characters.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Cashed said:
Microsoft also recently got exclusive rights to produce a MMO game with Marvel characters.
Don't they already have that game? Oh yeah, it's called City of Heroes. Marvel got burned with that lawsuit so now they're going to try and be the competition instead. Count me out.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Cashed said:
A game where there's a thousand Wolverenes? A hundred Beasts? 2 Jubelee's? Booooooring.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Cashed said:
I'm looking forward to see on 360, PS3 or Rev (though unlikely) what the next GTA will end up looking like. I mean, Rockstar could've put so much more detail into Vice City and San Andreas after just testing the pre-game out with GTA3. Speaking of the next GTA, it'll be more of what everyone wants most likely. There will be able to be tons of citizens on screen at once, tons of cars, planes, buildings, everything. We won't be running around downtown and seeing 3 or 4 people anymore and a single car.
I want to see it online...an MMO even...one giant ghetto...:p

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
A game where there's a thousand Wolverenes? A hundred Beasts? 2 Jubelee's? Booooooring.
That sure wasn't biased. You can go back to getting excited over all the Revolution games they've shown and such.

Oh wait.

Also it's a little old but: World of Warcraft may be heading to 360.

"Blizzard Entertainment announced that World of Warcraft, the company's subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), has surpassed two million paying subscribers worldwide. As the game's worldwide population continues to grow, so does the game itself: Blizzard recently introduced the highly anticipated player-vs.-player (PvP) Honor System and the game's first two Battlegrounds, Alterac Valley and Warsong Gulch. These new PvP battlefields offer a variety of fast-paced combat and some of the most valuable rewards yet seen in the game.

Many thought that Blizzard would be overwhelmed by the unexpected success WoW but instead the company is already working on a variety of WoW updates, Stracraft: Ghost and a few other top secret projects, even finding time to discuss WoW on XBox 360.

In a recent E3 chat, Blizzard's VP of business operations, Paul Sams, claimed that the company had been approached by Microsoft in order to discuss WoW on XBox Live once XBox 360 is launched. Mr. Sams made it clear that Blizzard remains interested in such a collaboration but is determined to stay true to the game and unwilling to sacrifice any of its features. This would mean that a console version would require some form of mouse and keyboard peripheral and that raised a few questions. Traditionally console peripherals do not sell well and that could have a negative impact on WoWs chances of success on the platfrom. Despite the problems Blizzard does seem willing to discuss the format and possibilities in an attempt to work things out since the success of WoW almost demands some form of console version of the game."

http://www.megagames.com/news/show.cgi?&idtype=pc&database=807&

It'd be smart if they made it to include a keyboard and mouse with the game, that way it'd be likely to sell more.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Imagine this scenario: A young gamer's stepfather gets a job at Microsoft testing top secret hardware. Said stepfather returns home with an Xbox 360. Now the kid is eyeing the box like fat campers do a pack of Twinkies. Of course it's not too hard to picture what happened next. However, it's even easier to picture with photographic evidence.

The youngster, who says he is 16 years old, had a friend snap some pictures of him playing with the 360 (apparently with his father's permission, according to the post) and then posted the photos (see inset) on GameSpot's forums, which have since been deleted. The poster says his father is in charge of making sure the power supply doesn't "explode."

The first picture shows the culprit in a suspiciously barren apartment with the 360 standing inverted next to him on the floor (the wires sticking out of the console are apparently used for hardware testing). The second picture depicts the same scene from a different angle, this one showing the Halo 2 title screen on a small monitor. The final screen shows the Xbox 360 launch screen on the monitor.

He goes on in his posts to tout the hardware and preinstalled programs, including the 360's dashboard and other features of the console. He also describes the unit's multimedia functions, including streaming music to a PC.

Reportedly, the hardware is or is near complete. The post also described the external power supply as being "not compact."

Assuming the pictures and reports are authentic, it sheds some light on some previously gray areas. If, in fact, the unit was playable, the Xbox 360 is indeed on its way to its holiday release date. Backward compatibility also appears to be coming along nicely with Halo 2 (unless there is an original Xbox hidden under the pillow, which is the lone piece of furniture in the room).

While some may grumble that this is actually a viral marketing ploy by Microsoft to show that the 360 is indeed on the way, it's more likely a great example of how to get your stepfather fired.

~Gamespot
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/07/18/xbox360_screen001.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/07/18/xbox360_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/07/18/xbox360_screen003.jpg

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I saw that yesterday (it was huge on all the Xbox forums everywhere) and laughed. It's likely his father got fired, the kid got a ytmnd site (http://xbox360kid.ytmnd.com/) and he got to play Halo 2 on the Xbox 360. How great! The only good news for everyone else is that he said Halo 2 looked sharper and such when he was playing.

In his posts the kid said that the power button on the console didn't power-up the console, he had to use the ring of light button on the controller instead. He said the interface and everything was really nice too, very smooth and easy to navigate.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Only for the games Microsoft WANT to be backwards compatable.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Actually mic, Microsoft signed a deal with Nvidia and now 360 will be able to play every Xbox game. Single layered games work just fine and Microsoft has to make a small patch for dual layered games which will all be included on the console's harddrive when it ships this fall.

Also, yesterday was the Xbox Summit in Japan. A lot of Japanese companies revealed new 360 titles.

Konami:
Winning Eleven 9 (working title)
Rumble Rose XX (working title)
Pro Yakyu Spirits (working title)

Success Corp.:
Operation Darkness (working title)
ZOOKEEPER (working title)

Team Ninja:
Project Progressive (action game)
And another game Itagaki wouldn't tell the name

Tommy:
Zoids (working title)

Treasure Corp.:
Secret game in development

Namco:
Ridge Racer 6
untitled RPG
LOVE FOOTBALL (working title)

Hudson:
Far East of Eden Ziria – Tales from Distant Jipang

Hamster Corp.:

Art Dink:
A Ressha de Ikou X

BANDAI:
Mobile Suit GUNDAM (working title)

Banpresto:
Super Robot Taisen (working title)

D3 Publisher:
Chikyuu Boueigun X
Oneechan-bara X

Frontier Groove:

Genki:
Toyko Xtreme Racer

KOEI:
Dynasty Warriors 5

Marvelous:

SNK Playmore:
KOF Maximum Impact 2

Taito:
World Airforce

Yukes:
Wrestle Kingdom (Japanese wrestling game)

So yeah, 360 is getting a lot of Japanese support compared to Xbox. The summit went great with these new companies coming out and saying they were developing games.

[eM] eNCHANT arM is shaping up great, it's due within the launch window and looks to be 360's first Japanese RPG.

Project Gotham Racing 3 was showed off:

IGN has videos of PGR3 being shown from the Summit in it's replay and spectator camera, Gotham TV. Looked very nice. The creators went on to say that in PGR2 for Xbox, the entire city of New York had as many polygons as the Brooklyn bridge now has in PGR3.

Release date and pricing should be revealed soon. Oh yeah, yesterday it was also revealed that the packaging of the 360 would include: Xbox 360 system, 360 wireless controller, an Xbox Live headset, an ethernet cable and 20 GB harddrive (of course). The camera, Universal Remote, wireless and wired controllers, etc. will be accessories only.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
[eM] eNCHANT arM (wtf kind of name is that, anyways? -_-) is in game, I recommend watching the video, very nice.

PGR3- As close as you can get to actual gamplay screenshots, they're taken from a video of a replay of a race. I also recommend watching the videos.

Just head over to IGN and watch all of the videos. :p

Jricanrod1

Smash Rookie
Thank you Cashed for telling me that 360 will be backwards compatible I am looking forward on buying the system. I didn't buy the Xbox because of trouble with money but now that I have saved $500 I will be able to buy the system with maybe one or two games.

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
With what you just said about backwards compatibility, Cashed...

I'll be putting a reserve for a 360 tomorrow.

Wow. There is a God.

*gets a bad feeling about last sentence being on this board...*

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Woot. Quite a bit of new stuff.

- Square-Enix is developing more games than just FFXI.
- The Xbox 360 fan will be variable.
- Video chat for up to 8 people with minigames.
- Will come with HD cables with a adapter for normal TVs. (At the Japanese event people saw the box didn't say it included cables, but it does)
- QWERTY keyboard will be able to attatch to controller. [Picture below] It's small, like a Sidekick keyboard, but it opens up new options for MMORPGs and such. Regular keyboard/mouse is still being considered.
- Pricing information will be revealed August 18th-21st at a conference in Germany.
- "Half-Life 3" was seen on a list at a recent conference in Mexico.
- Some of the FFXII team has left Square-Enix to join Mistwalker(which is developing exclusively for 360), the director, Yasumi Matsumo, may even have joined Mistwalker.

New Gears of War footage (running on beta kits):
http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox/2231/Gears-of-War-G4TVCOM-Footage

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
thank you osco.

ps: a lot of retailers are beginning to say the 360 will launch November 4th for $299.99. GameStop, Wal-Mart, EB, etc.

Nintendo, plz release Twilight Princess like 2 weeks before. :C

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
I got my reserve on the 360 put down. w00t.

I'm number 61 (Which probably means I'm not first shipment, but hey, MS of all companies would have another ready by Christmas).

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Cyrahk said:
I got my reserve on the 360 put down. w00t.

I'm number 61 (Which probably means I'm not first shipment, but hey, MS of all companies would have another ready by Christmas).
Heh, I'm number 1 at my GameStop, and I'm 1 of 9 people who get a 360 in the first shipment at my GameStop. I need to put some money down on games too, I have $185 down on my 360 itself. Need to reserve Perfect Dark Zero and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I might put some money down on Full Auto too. I can't go wrong with an open ended RPG like Oblivion, a FPS like PDZ and a racing game like Full Auto.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Wal-Mart was wrong. There are going to be two versions of the 360.

$300

• Xbox 360 console. As with the premium edition, three powerful core processors pump out 720p/1080i output, 16x9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound and DVD playback right out of the box.
  • Xbox 360 Controller. This wired controller features an extended nine-foot cable and a comfortable, enhanced ergonomic design.
  • Xbox 360 Faceplate. Like no other console before, the Xbox 360 console allows customization and a removable Faceplate that comes in stylish “chill” (white), which can be swapped out with other custom Faceplates to reflect gamers’ personalities or decor.
  • Xbox 360 Standard AV Cable. This connects gamers to the world of Xbox 360, delivering great next-generation graphics and games using standard-definition connections.

$400

• Xbox 360 console. Sexy styling that packs a punch — three powerful core processors are poised to pump out 720p/1080i output, 16x9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound and DVD playback right out of the box.
  • Xbox 360 Hard Drive (20 GB). 20 GB and detachable, the hard drive allows gamers to store their games, music, downloaded trailers, levels, demos and community-created content from Xbox Live Marketplace.
  • Xbox 360 Wireless Controller. Hassle-free high-performance precision wireless gaming features the Xbox Guide Button for quick access to digital movies, music and games libraries as well as a range and battery life of up to 30 feet and 30 hours of life on two AA batteries.
  • Xbox 360 Faceplate. The removable Faceplate comes in stylish “chill” (white) and can be swapped out with custom Faceplates to reflect gamers’ personalities or decor.
  • Xbox 360 Headset. This lets gamers strategize with teammates or trash-talk opponents while playing games on Xbox Live.
  • Xbox 360 Component HD-AV Cable. This connects gamers to the world of Xbox 360 games and graphics through high-definition and standard-definition connections.
  • Xbox Live Silver membership. With this, gamers can chat with friends online, send and receive voice and text messages, and access new content from Xbox Live Marketplace demos such as trailers and casual games from Xbox Live Arcade.
  • A bonus Media Remote: Included for a limited time, the integrated control center for the entire digital experience lets consumers play DVDs, movies and music, as well as access their Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PC's controls with a single remote.

Well, I'm disappointed it's $400 for the premium package, but look like that's the one I'll end up buying. I sure hope I get that job I applied for... I'm going to be needed money. I have about $255 paid off on my 360.. $145 more.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
CSHD: Couple questions.

Where do the wired controllers plug in, and how many controllers does one unit support w/o some sort of multi-tap?

How long does Silver Membership for Xbox Live last?

I think what's gonna happen is me, my fiancee, her brother, and our other apartment roommate will all pitch in $100 for this thing, which makes it a bit more affordable.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
1) USB ports. So there can be 3 wired controllers if you have nothing else hooked up into the USB slots.
2) Forever.

Top Bottom