• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Games that will be avaiable by Nov 22.

Amped 3 (2K Sports)
Call of Duty 2 (Activision)
Condemned: Criminal Origins (Sega)
FIFA 06: Road to the World Cup (Electronic Arts)
Gun (Activision)
Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Game Studios)
Madden NFL 06 (Electronic Arts)
NBA 2K6 (2K Sports)
NBA Live 06 (Electronic Arts)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (Electronic Arts)
NHL 2K6 (2K Sports)
Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Game Studios)
Peter Jackson's King Kong (Ubisoft)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft Game Studios)
Quake 4 (Activision)
Ridge Racer (Namco)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 (Electronic Arts)
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Activision)

byt

Smash Cadet
I have a small question concerning the HD features. I have a 27" RCA TV that has component inputs in the rear (which I currently use for my GC), but it can't do 480p, 720p, or 1080i. Will the Xbox 360 try to default to the largest resolution possible or will it simply 'know' what my TV's limits are? It would suck if I tried to play a game and it automattically set the resolution to something I can't use.

And, no, I'm not going to go out and buy a new TV...unless I find one that is inexpensive that can do progressive scan.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Could someone explain to me why "Barbie Horse Adventure" was worthy of the backwards compatability nod, and "Conker: Live and Reloaded" was not??

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
If you're using the component cables you're in 480p. None of my TVs have component cables (well, as far as I know, I want to get behind the main living room TV and see what it's got but that's a little difficult), but thankfully the premium 360 comes with component and composite plugs on one cable. From what I know, the 360 will find the best resolution for your games to play in on your TV, and you can also go in a menu and select which resolution you'd like it to display in manually.

edit: Bahamut... Barbie Horse Adventure must've sold more. XD

byt

Smash Cadet
Cashed said:
If you're using the component cables you're in 480p. None of my TVs have component cables (well, as far as I know, I want to get behind the main living room TV and see what it's got but that's a little difficult), but thankfully the premium 360 comes with component and composite plugs on one cable. From what I know, the 360 will find the best resolution for your games to play in on your TV, and you can also go in a menu and select which resolution you'd like it to display in manually.

edit: Bahamut... Barbie Horse Adventure must've sold more. XD
As long as I can set the resolution manually, that's fine. If not, that sucks. I probably should've done more research on this particular TV back before I bought it rather than assuming that component inputs=progressive scan capable. This TV is about a year or two old, but its really nice :D

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
It can't be purely sales related for that bc list. The Madden series sold a hell of a lot more than the NFL Blitz games, for example. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell is the fourth best-selling game on the Xbox, and the whole series is missing. Plus I see no Project Gotham Racing, another big seller.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Probably because they're major XBox live games? Ones they can't be bothered making live360 compatable?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
360 games and Xbox games use the same online. If you're played Halo 2 online on your 360, you can play someone playing it on their Xbox.

Major sites have reviews up. Kameo is getting mixed reviews, the highest so far being 8.7 from GameSpot, the lowest being a 7.0 from 1up. Complaints seem to be about the length of single player (averaging a little over 10 hours). PGR3 got 10 out of 10 from 1up and 8.8 from IGN.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
I want to see more info out there about PDZ...I mean, as the sequal to one of the best FPS games ever made, how'd it match up? It seems more hype has been given to Kameo than PDZ, which is unfortunate.

Oh, and yay for M$, nearly all of my Xbox games don't work with the 360 -_-

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Only 10 hours? Doesn't Fable have more than that?

Found some info on the Live Marketplace.

the Xbox Live Marketplace will feature over 400 downloadable items on launch day.

Premium Xbox Live Marketplace content will be available for purchase with Microsoft points, a new stored-value system that will let consumers purchase a number of points, and then redeem those points for content online, ranging from gamer pictures and themes to full game downloads on Xbox Live Arcade. Microsoft points will be available for purchase at participating retail stores and via the Xbox Live Dashboard. In one retail chain, consumers can purchase a card worth 2100 Points for an ERP of £17.50. Offers in the dashboard will range from 500 points and up.

On December 2nd Xbox 360 users who connect their console to a broadband connection and create an Xbox Live membership, either the paid Gold membership or free Silver membership will have access to the content which includes:

Amped 3:
- Game Trailer (free)
- 10 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
- 1 Theme (150 points)

Call of Duty 2:
- Game Trailer (free)
- 7 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
- 2 Gamer Picture Bundles (40 – 80 points each)
- 1 Theme (150 points)

Condemned
- Game Trailer (free)
- 10 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
- 1 Theme (150 points)

FIFA 06 Road to FIFA World Cup
- Game Trailer (free)
- EA Sports Trailer (free)
- Game Demo (free)
- FIFA Team Logo Gamer Pictures (60 points each)
- FIFA Team Logo Themes (150 points each)

GUN
- Game Trailer (free)
- 5 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
- 1 Gamer Picture Bundle (80 points)
- 1 Theme (150 points)

Kameo: Elements of Power
- Winter Warrior Pack (200 points)
- Game Trailer (free)
- Game Demo (free)
- 4 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
- 2 Gamer Picture 5-pack Bundles (80 points each)
- 7 Themes (150 points each)

Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
- Game Demo (free)
- Game Trailer (free)

Madden NFL 06
- Game Trailer (free)
- NFL Logo Gamer Pictures (60 points each)
- Collection of All NFL Logo Gamer Pictures (500 points)
- NFL Logo Themes (150 points each)

NBA 2K6
- Game Trailer (free)

NBA Live 06
- Game Demo (free)

Need for Speed Most Wanted
- Game Trailer (free)
- Game Demo (free)

NHL 2K6
- Game Trailer (free)

Perfect Dark Zero
- Game Trailer (free)

Project Gotham Racing 3
- Game Trailer (free)

Quake 4
- Game Trailer (free)
- 7 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
- 1 Theme (150 points)

Ridge Racer 6
- 6 Cars (pricing tbd)
- 6 Background Music Tracks (pricing tbd)
- Game Trailer (free)

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
- Game Trailer (free)
- 10 Gamer Pictures (20 points)
- 1 Gamer Picture Bundle (80 points)
- 1 Theme (150 points)

As well as:
- "Aeon Flux" HD movie trailer from Paramount
- Penny Arcade Gamer Pictures and Themes
- Red vs. Blue Videos
- High Definition Movie Trailers and Music Videos
- Game Trailers for upcoming games
Just to point out, Kameo has an expansion pack, the winter warrior thing. Are devs going to leave things out simply to sell them again on Live?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Mic, find do you really think developers just felt things out on purpose to sell them on Live? Downloadable content is stuff they make after they finish the game for the fans. I'm sure every developer has released a game and said "Oh, we should've included that" and with DLC they can, and if they want they can plug a price onto it. The Kameo Winter Warrior Pack is probably the co-op mode for over Live and System Link (Rare was able to tag in co-op through split-screen before having to start manufacture the game, but not over Live and System Link)... though I don't know why they'd call it the Winter Warrior Pack.

You'll also noticed DLC is charged in points now. Right now you'll have to buy points (1600 for $19.99), but after Microsoft sorts through all the legal stuff for some areas, you'll be earning them by beating games and such.

I'll be downloading the free demos for games I don't even want though. :D

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's called "Winter warrior pack" because it has a winter campain. For single player.

And yes, I feel very sus about having an expansion available for cost when the game has just been released. It's one thing a few months later, but come on.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
mic_128 said:
It's called "Winter warrior pack" because it has a winter campain. For single player.
Link me to where you got that information. Kameo already has a snow/ice area, so I don't really understand what you're trying to say.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone suspicious of how Microsoft has seemingly held back on letting sites review Perfect Dark Zero? Usually this kind of thing goes hand-in-hand with a game that a publisher feels won't rate that high or will diminish sales and deflate any hype surrounding the game. With a lot of controversey about it already, I sure hope it's just an awful big coincidence. Otherwise I'm predicting a high 7s to low 8s score for reviews.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Oh snap...

I was at EB games today buying...a game and a woman standing next to me asked when the 360 would be coming out. The salesclerk leaned over the counter and began whispering to her. "I was just on the phone today with (something along the lines of Microsoft sales manager person or something, sorry I can't remember the position name) and he told me that everyone's supplies are being cut. We have 114 preorders and we are only getting 40 systems. He told me that they are trying to get at least 40 systems to larger stores like Wal-Mart but some stores will only get 20 systems so I don't feel so bad about our 40."

Exact conversation. Except for that one part I forgot. But aside from that this is what she said but obviously didn't want anyone to hear.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with an 8. A 7 ain't so bad either.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chill said:
EDIT: Nothing wrong with an 8. A 7 ain't so bad either.
Eh, that was my general prediction. While a high 7 or low 8 aren't bad scores, they're certainly not system-sellers. And that's what PD0 was supposed to be. Then again I could be wrong and it could score really well. I think there's just too much pressure on the game to be the "next Halo".

You do have to admit that it is a bit suspicious why the game isn't getting reviewed when all the other launch titles are.

beckhamisaqueer

Smash Cadet
Cashed I'm going to disregard everything you say until you can come up with an honest, unbiased opinion instead of,"0mg0rz MiC0$0Ft RULezzz." Don't even ask me to show you an example.

Anyway, this whole marketplace thing proves to me that Microsoft is going to find a million diffeent ways to milk consumers for every penny. It's a shame also, because I would buy an Xbox 360 if I wouldn't have to pay for a game twice and deal with more of Microsoft's bull****. (Don't call me a fanboy, I own an xbox and was disappointed.)

EDIT: I'm would also be disappointed if PDZ only got a high seven or low eight. It is the sequel to possibly the best game of all time.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
beckhamisaqueer said:
Cashed I'm going to disregard everything you say until you can come up with an honest, unbiased opinion instead of,"0mg0rz MiC0$0Ft RULezzz." Don't even ask me to show you an example.
So essentially, you're telling me that "0mg0zr C@$hEd SUXXorz!"

Nice one, honey.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Giygas said:
You do have to admit that it is a bit suspicious why the game isn't getting reviewed when all the other launch titles are.
I'm expecting somewhere in the 8 area for PDZ. It is odd that PDZ isn't being reviewed yet (Excluding some Swedish magazine, where it scored a 9), but I'm guessing Microsoft is just trying to hold off on it to try to create more hype for it. Everyone is starting to be like "Why isn't PDZ being reviewed?!" *cough* Matt from Cube IGN *cough* Which is just causing the game to get mentioned more.

Thanks for the comment beckham, it's always nice to get "you suck" messages from people who haven't been around for too long and have such low post counts. Disregard what I say in this topic, I really don't care.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
So Cashed, will you be camping out for your 360? Try not to get robbed. When you get your 360 be sure to tell all of us skeptics how cool it is.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cashed won't be camping out, he pre-ordered. The smart thing to do, unlike others who either camp out or pay upwards of $1,000 for one on eBay.

I called my wal-mart for kicks to check up on the status of the 360. Instead of a midnight launch they're opening at 7 am and people were already camped out when I called (around 7 pm tonight). The reason? They are only getting 10 shipped to them, and a measly 2 of them are the premium pack with the hard drive. Wow.

Looks like anyone who wants a Rev or PS3 should preorder now! As soon as the Rev becomes available I'm preordering that sucker.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Giygas said:
Cashed won't be camping out, he pre-ordered. The smart thing to do, unlike others who either camp out or pay upwards of $1,000 for one on eBay.

I called my wal-mart for kicks to check up on the status of the 360. Instead of a midnight launch they're opening at 7 am and people were already camped out when I called (around 7 pm tonight). The reason? They are only getting 10 shipped to them, and a measly 2 of them are the premium pack with the hard drive. Wow.
I know he pre-ordered, I just assumed he'd want to get his 360 as soon as possible even if that meant staying up to an unreasonable hour.

Giygas said:
I called my wal-mart for kicks to check up on the status of the 360.
You know you want one. :D

EDIT: Gamespot gave PDZ a 9.0

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
First thing tomorrow im going to go reserve PS3. Becasue I had a HELL of a day:

Took a sick day off from school, woke up at 4:30 am, got to the Toys are us in New jersey at 5:15 am. I was the 11th person in line. There were only 8 Xbox 360s. We only found this out after waiting 2 hours.

Yes. I am not kidding. 11th person in line. 8 360's in total. 3 of which were premium.

This small store i know is getting a late shipment on friday, so ill probably just wait for that.

But still: Ain't that a *****?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I never thought of that. Thanks Osco maybe now I'll be ripping some people off next year.

IGN put up a 10 reasons to buy a Xbox 360 on their 360 channel. Their PS3 and Gamecube channels now have a 10 reasons to wait for... section. The 360 and PS3 list actually had some very good reasons but the Revolution list seemed like it had little effort put into it. It begins with a disclaimer of "we don't hate the 360 in fact we just bought one". They then list the price as a reason to wait... twice. Then instead of listing the lack of a killer-app as one reason like the PS3 section, they say reason #7 no Zelda. Reason #6 no Mario. Reason #5 no Super Smash Brothers. Lame.

Heh.. Cashed must be enjoying himself.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
AHAHAHAHA!!! for every 360(premium) sold micro loses $126(thats ok i guess) and the core micro loses $76.

there have been a bunch of reports from gameFAQS and gamespot that many many 360's have defects..... so 360's wont even work and its brand new. AHAHAHAHA.

boy now thats funny stuff.

good old micro.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Cashed hasn't been online since Monday. My best guess is he is dead from overplaying.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
The Great Marth said:
AHAHAHAHA!!! for every 360(premium) sold micro loses $126(thats ok i guess) and the core micro loses $76.

there have been a bunch of reports from gameFAQS and gamespot that many many 360's have defects..... so 360's wont even work and its brand new. AHAHAHAHA.

boy now thats funny stuff.

good old micro.
AHAHAHAHA!!! Every company loses money on their consoles at first.

AHAHAHAHA!!! Console defects are so funny. When your console blows up in your face remind me to laugh.

Crimson King said:
Cashed hasn't been online since Monday. My best guess is he is dead from overplaying.
I was thinking a coma but death is always a possibility.

Post # 150 yay!

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
nah my console wont blow up in my face(ive never had that problem with a nintendo console).

its so bad that even my local news station is complaining about the 360's defects.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

BTW: did you know that you can now get a nintendo gamecube for $99? Did you also know that you get a copy of Mario Party 7 for FREE when you buy one? Isn't that a new game? Gee, it must be, because it's the only gamecube game ive heard of in the last YEAR that isn't super smash brothers.

Now on to something that matters: does any1 know when the next shipment is?

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
I hope so, i just heard from my neighbor that the next shipment wont be until after X-mas

I just hope cybergames has it on friday....

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I have been enjoying myself immensely. The console itself? Still big, but sexy. Mine sits vertically by my TV. Turning on (and turning off) the console with the controller is a very nice feature. For example, if I'm playing a game late and I'm laying in bed I can just shut it off from bed and go right to sleep or watching TV. The next morning, I can just grab the controller and turn it on from my bed without getting up. The original Xbox took forever to rip CDs, about 25 minutes or so. The 360 though, rips a CD in about 5 minutes. The new Dashboard is very easy to use and a lot better than the original Xbox. You hit the Xbox Guide button on the controller and part of it'll slide over, from there you can check your gamercard, friends list, messages, pick your custom soundtracks, etc. Hit Y and it'll take you to the full Dashboard where you can access your harddrive's memory, the Xbox Live Marketplace, etc. The only thing I don't like about the console is how loud the disc is read. If you play in a quiet room, it'll annoy the hell out of you. I play with my surround sound turned up pretty loud though, so unless I'm playing late and night (where I can have the surround sound on), I don't notice it. The power supply? Also big, but it's behind my TV so I don't notice it.

Games. I've played Project Gotham Racing 3 the most. Probably around 15 hours or so. I just finished the Solo Career today, and have around 11 out of 26 achievements completed in the game. Oh yeah, achievements, they're awesome. You do something in the game and you earn points for doing it on your gamercard under Gamerscore. It seems like something that'll keep me playing the games, trying to get all the achievements. Kameo so far is a lot of fun, but I can tell it's going to be really short. As you play it it's just like "Achievement unlocked! Achievement unlocked! Achievement unlocked!" So yeah, that's how I can tell... Also from all the reviews so far. Graphics are beautiful in some areas, alright in others. Sound is amazing, I'm loving the orchestrated music in this game. Perfect Dark Zero. The "big" game. So far I'm not sure on it. I've only played about 5 hours of it (most of that being multiplayer) and there are things I like and things I don't. You can move around a lot for a first person shooter, and there's absolutely no auto-aim in the game (nearly all console shooters have some)... this makes it take longer than usual to kill someone. The graphics are amazing in some places and just alright in others. I wouldn't say they're ugly anywhere, though. Multiplayer has a steady framerate... until you play Splitscreen. It'll drop every now and then and it TRIES to hide it with a motion blur effect. It's not too annoying, but Rare should've been able to keep the framerate over 30 throughout the entire game. Lazy programming. I played some co-op campaign last night... It was fun until we got to a boss. The game didn't really tell you what to do there and it just stopped being fun. The level design in multiplayer isn't too great, a lot of the time it'll tell you "Go to _______!" and you have no clue where to go so you have to stand around for a couple minutes until arrows show up on the ground and direct you where to go.

I keep hearing there a lot of 360 problems, but so far I've experience none. My friend's 360 though... it scratched their PDZ disc. It scratches any disc you put in it, they took it to GameStop (the console and the game) and GameStop couldn't replace either. They were out of both.

Anyways, I'm gonna go back to playing. Downloading some demos right now.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
waited in line at Walmart on Monday night for 7 hours to get mine. I was #9 in line there. The guy who was #1 had been there since 3:30 in the afternoon. So I waited all that time to buy it, got my system and then had to jump in my car and start a 12 hour drive to my in-laws for thanksgiving. Didn't get to play until the next day.

I have only picked up PDZ so far but I think the game is really solid. It's no halo/halo 2 but it's a fun shooter. I have experienced some of the same problems as Cashed with not really knowing where to go, but instead of standing still, I explore the level a little bit until the arrows show up. Sometimes I find the way on my own, sometimes I don't. Honestly, the multiplayer isn't terribly impressive. The level design is mediocre and not being able to jump makes me SOOOO angry but I really enjoy the variety and difficulty of the campaign. If you're a fan of shooters in general, its worth getting.

You can notice however, how the Rare guys listened to the hardcore Halo crowd and tried to make adjust the game to suit their needs. Remember the amazing Halo 1 pistol with the scope that got cut from H2? Guess what you've got in PDZ? A powerful pistol with a scope. Remember how players complained that auto-aim ruined the game in the transition from halo to the deuce? There's no auto-aim in the game... well, there is some but its an option in your profile creation stuff and I have it turned off. The point is, even if they didn't quite bring the best experience in the FPS world they were listening to fans. Points to Rare.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'm actually liking PDZ the more I play it. Multiplayer was "meh" at first, but with the right weapons and on the right levels (There are only 6, but they're huge/have different areas so it's like 4 levels in 1) it's a hell of a lot of fun. I completed Single Player, which was really dull until you get involved with the Carrington Institute. From there, it was still pretty sloppy but I had more fun from there on. Now, I never played the original PD's single player, but according to my friends who have, it was really stealthy. PDZ seems just run 'n gun, even more so than Halo. Overall though, pretty good game, it'll keep me on Live for quite a while. M3D, if you haven't tried Live, try it. DarkOps Eradication is an awesome gametype. I played Halo and Halo 2 yesterday on my 360, and man, it felt so weird to not be able to roll or take cover. Jumping is missed in PDZ, but your character will automatically hop over some ledges and stuff if they're low enough.

I beat Kameo on Friday night as well... and it ended with a lot of room for a sequel. The game was pretty good, but at the end there were some awesome cutscenes that helped tell the story a lot, I don't see why they didn't do them in the rest of the game as well.

I'm getting into Xbox Live Arcade now. Geometry Wars Retro Evolved is one of the most addicting games ever. There was a demo of it on PGR3, and after I played the demo I had to have it. So I bought it from XBL Arcade, it was about $4 in Marketplace Points. Last night I bought the original Gauntlet (also $4) and played it with a friend. I don't know if it really was fun or if it seemed like it because we were so tired and it was so late, but we played it laughing and having fun for about 2 and a half hours.

Achievements are the coolest freaking things ever.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
How does the marketplace points work? Do you have to pay for those games in cash or what?

Top Bottom