• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I like the Wario MU, yeah. :p

Oh and btw Reflex since you're feeling confident against the ICs and we're discussing about them in the Choose your Starter thread, I'd be interested in seeing what you think about the MU.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good work at the tourney Reflex and Falcon :) . I have that problem with PT too, not knowing good ways to finish the opponent and going from lead to choke because fatigue and fear of fatigue KO fishing.

Ivy's jab's good but I never can finish it well. I try to Dtilt at the end but my timing's bad and the opponent often gets away or punishes with a fast counter.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Oh I only use it against characters with a poor aerial game/mobility (Snake, Ganon, ICs etc...) and I retreat when they escape the Jab.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Toby huh? Never heard of him but I know of Shaya.

I have still yet to meat him because he isn't in my state, I hope he comes up for the next major because if he knows the MU he should help my PT, right?

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Seeing this board being inactive makes me sad... :(

Since I'm really motivated atm, I'll make a post on the Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard tactical discussions, where I'll post everything I have to share (probably later today). It could be things you know or useless things, but I feel like it could be interesting to share so this might be a good thing to take a look when it is posted... :pt:

Rizen

Smash Legend
^that could be helpful to newer PTs like me :)

Is Reflex still a total tease or is the title outdated?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Imo, you're chosing the best option. :)

As long as you know what you SHOULDN'T be doing because it won't work against real players, wifi and CPU can be nice to improve. At least for me.
Just going to take this here before Reflex bans me forever. :p

Maybe things will turn around for me. I'm not going to put too many hopes up. To be honest, I'm feeling like maybe PT isn't the character for me and that I should stick to Link and TL. I'm more of a Link player at heart, the play style comes more natural to me, so even if I still play Brawl, I might quit PT or bump him down to some pocket secondary, it'll be hard because PT is too fun.

I just want to be the best at the character I play, but it seems like my personality and play style just don't suit PT at all. Out of the 11 of us who are active, I know I'm the worst. For me to even begin to improve myself, I need better, more local resources (players). At least with Link, I've been playing him my whole life; he's only varied slightly throughout the years, so it's not like I will have to spend too much effort playing him to get better. I know I brag a lot how I play all these characters but it's hard to use them with confidence in a tournament when you know you are naturally bad at the game your playing and you want to win at the same time so you feel the need to put your best soldier (PT) out there.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206

Maybe things will turn around for me. I'm not going to put too many hopes up. To be honest, I'm feeling like maybe PT isn't the character for me and that I should stick to Link and TL. I'm more of a Link player at heart, the play style comes more natural to me, so even if I still play Brawl, I might quit PT or bump him down to some pocket secondary, it'll be hard because PT is too fun.

I just want to be the best at the character I play, but it seems like my personality and play style just don't suit PT at all. Out of the 11 of us who are active, I know I'm the worst. For me to even begin to improve myself, I need better, more local resources (players). At least with Link, I've been playing him my whole life; he's only varied slightly throughout the years, so it's not like I will have to spend too much effort playing him. I know I brag a lot how I play all these characters but it's hard to use them with confidence in a tournament when you know you are naturally bad at the game your playing and you want to win at the same time so you feel the need to put your best soldier (PT) out there.

Lol...
Worst PT...

Get in line pal :p

:006:

Why would you quit him though if you're having fun?
That's the purpose of this game isn't it? :006:

Myollnir

Smash Ace

I just want to be the best at the character I play, but it seems like my personality and play style just don't suit PT at all. Out of the 11 of us who are active, I know I'm the worst. For me to even begin to improve myself, I need better, more local resources (players). At least with Link, I've been playing him my whole life; he's only varied slightly throughout the years, so it's not like I will have to spend too much effort playing him to get better. I know I brag a lot how I play all these characters but it's hard to use them with confidence in a tournament when you know you are naturally bad at the game your playing and you want to win at the same time so you feel the need to put your best soldier (PT) out there.
If you're better with Link, sure! But I don't think your Link can be better than your PT if you practice equally with them. I'd recommand you to play the character you like. If you have more fun with Link, play him. :p

If you want to win, you HAVE to play a top/high tier (TL is okay imo). I personnally main ICs & MK, but I have a pocket PT. I like PT during friendlies, but also against certain characters, such as Olimar or ZSS. PT is the character I find the more fun to play with, so I'll NEVER totally stop playing him. He has many tricks, which is a thing I really love. Playing 3 characters at once also guarantees you to never get bored. :D

You can't be "naturally bad at the game" though. Of course, some people are naturally gifted... But I'm not one of them lol. Even though everything I can do is because of training and practicing, I won't consider myself as "naturally bad". I don't know if you get my point...

Bomber7

Smash Hero
@Xiroey- PT is beginning to become fun on a casual level. Not a competitive level. Link on the other hand is fun on casual and competitive levels. I've been playing this game too long and I've lost that beginner's mindset where I play to have fun. Then again, I did play with people who played to have fun, I'm too exposed to salty elitists so some that has rubbed off on me. And I'd love to take you on to prove I'm the worst PT. I have a habit of losing to people no matter how good or bad they are. I lose to casuals on a daily basis practically. That's how bad I am.

@myo- I understand. It's just hard to play PT much anymore. I feel like I've hit a wall that's higher than beating metaknight. I've watched everyone's videos and you guys make it look so easy. Playing against credible and good players and playing the way I try to play but somehow you guys are doing something right and succeeding and I'm not. I'm only lasting this long with brawl because 64 has had me distracted and I'm not burning out as quickly. I find my mindset is on a higher level in 64 than it is in Brawl, maybe through 64, I can develop a higher mindset for Brawl and have the basic tools I need to play. time will tell. I'm not going to sweat about my lack of confidence in my ability to play brawl because I have 64 and I get to be back where my I feel most at home.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Well you should focus on your playstyle and see what you're doing wrong.

When I want to improve (in general, not only PT) I also watch videos of other players. Unfortunately, the only PT that's worth watching is Reflex. :laugh:

Anyway, even if you stop playing PT, I really hope that you'll stay here! :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Bomber
I know the feeling of starting with Link and finding other characters awkward. It took a long time to feel comfortable with PT but I kept him for fun and gradually got better. IMO Link's the hardest character to play properly and that's largely because he plays very differently from other characters.
The more characters you play, the easier others will become. My G&W royally sucked until after I learned Zelda (Nair/Dtilt/rising air attacks) and I quit G&W/Wolf once before really learning them. Now I'm learning MK/Bowser. What Legen told me and Links on AiB is to branch out and it will improve all of my game.
You should keep PT but maybe switch mains to Link/TL.

If you can't go to live smash events often (:urg:) then wifi can be a great training tool to play really good people. Use a base character who you're most comfortable with for a warm up. In CO, I'm constantly getting different lag and changing characters before I'm adjusted can throw everything off even more so I always start with my '...' tag and Link. Play people on AiB freeplay and others for fun. Don't switch from offline to wifi and back often because it messes with your timing/metagame terribly.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Thanks for the advise. I'll give it a try. Random is my tertiary. So maybe if I played random more often I'd fix some problems.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^How does P:M keep Nintendo from suing? /curious

(not that it matters but the link says Squirtle is a tortoise. If anything, he's a terrapin. Turtles have flippers (sea turtles), tortoises can't fully retreat into their shells and cover their exposed areas with thick skinned legs (desert tortoise), and terrapins are mostly freshwater with the ability to fully retreat into their shells and often have claws/webbed toes (box turtles, sliders, snapping turtles) Yep.)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
^How does P:M keep Nintendo from suing? /curious

(not that it matters but the link says Squirtle is a tortoise. If anything, he's a terrapin. Turtles have flippers (sea turtles), tortoises can't fully retreat into their shells and cover their exposed areas with thick skinned legs (desert tortoise), and terrapins are mostly freshwater with the ability to fully retreat into their shells and often have claws/webbed toes (box turtles, sliders, snapping turtles) Yep.)
Enjoying my random macrobiology lesson of the day. Take that Project M staff.

Top Bottom