• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTCA: A Super Smash Bros Melee Charity Tournament

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I tried hosting a tourney at a library around here once, we had everything worked out and such, then they were all like "yeah, you gotta use our wii and our HD LCD Tvs that have awful lag because we can't let you bring stuff in, you also can't pay the winners) sooo... that never happened...
but then I maketh this thing ^^
That sucks man! I haven't tried the library tho. LOL they have their own wii's?

I tried hosting at a church. Seemed ok, we had everything worked out and such... OH DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR?

Well, everything was good. We were booked, after all the effort I took to get it booked. Then two weeks before the date, they 'forgot' they had booked an event for a easter egg hunt thing.... GAH. Like I hyped that thing up so well... then all that hype just converted into a head ache.

Yeah... I was going to try again, but I couldn't wait that long to be dissapointed again like that.

AUGH, I hate libraries/schools/etc like who make up their own rules that ruin you. ~_~ One Wii and HD TV does not a tournament make.

Fortunately, a bunch of anime nerds (including me) started a club, and we discovered our library is actually really, really open-minded. I explained from the beginning about setups, CRTs, payouts and the like, and they were genuinely impressed. The only thing they couldn't agree to right away was the handling of money, and it only took a few days to approve that too. The only downside is that you have to plan more than two months ahead...

So, just goes to show ya that not all places are disagreeable. If you look around long enough you can probably even find one close to you. <3 Good luck with this one. I'm gonna schedule mine at a different time specifically so I can come to yours.
Wow that's an awesome place. : D Glad you were able to get them to approve. This is true.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
oh man, easter egg hunts ruin everything.

This time, I checked the calendars for the church and nearby schools to make sure there was nothing on the same day that would interfere with the tourney.

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
What I don't understand is how a church could be so packed. Must be party central around there.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
Ashtabula Scrub Squad and Cleveland Heights Scrub Squad: Any interest in testing out the skills of the Hubbard Scrub Squad? I mean, as of now we have one official full-time Melee player...Not nearly enough for a crew battle of you guys' scale. xD But I could take some time out of Brawl to learn stuff by April, and I might be able to get others to follow suit. Was considering adding Melee to my list of games anyway.

Go for it! We'd love some more competition (not that we're really that good anyway :p). Heights generally hates Brawl anyway:awesome:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Lol. Heights melee scene hates brawl, but you guys are full of brawl kids.
Whenever I go down to your library there are some scrubs playin brawl on that laggy TV.

and the church is packed because I'm such an awesome guy that people wanna go to my tourney :p

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
Lol. Heights melee scene hates brawl, but you guys are full of brawl kids.
Whenever I go down to your library there are some scrubs playin brawl on that laggy TV.

and the church is packed because I'm such an awesome guy that people wanna go to my tourney :p
Come to my tourney let the games begin!
We've even got items, if you can't win!

Soalslayer

Smash Rookie
well you got youself 2-4 more people for it. we got a couple people in the akron area interested in this =)

Goast

Smash Journeyman
Been kinda busy and saw the notice on the date change. I'll be able to make it. Any melee related serious, competitive or cleveland social events in the meantime I would like to take part of. I do work full-time M-F but I would like to get involved with the Cleveland smash community and make some new friends.

GZTgoazt

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
A couple of us from 'bula were thinking about hosting a small tourney sometime in march before this one. Would NEOH be willing to drive up here?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Been kinda busy and saw the notice on the date change. I'll be able to make it. Any melee related serious, competitive or cleveland social events in the meantime I would like to take part of. I do work full-time M-F but I would like to get involved with the Cleveland smash community and make some new friends.

GZTgoazt
yea we haven't had any big smashfests recently, but I could let you know next time there is a big one.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
i never thought id say it.. but maybe too many tournaments is a bad thing..

all of you ohio kids should team up and throw a huge one. really put OH smash on the map.

i know this spring theres about 3 ohio tourneys and a pittsburgh one too. i wish i placed in the money everytime.. lol would make going to them all a lot easier

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
welp... I was the first to host a spring tourney, so.... derp.
As for the national idea, I was planning to get there... eventually.... but not for a first tournament...
I won't even try to host a big anus tourney until I get a lot more experience with hosting tourneys.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
We'll get there, we just need consistent competitive players willing to show up and help others get Ohio's smash community organized. I'm no tourney expert by any means but if I get dates and places you can count me to be there and help with things where feasible. To be honest I don't really know when any dates are for the up-comming events.

Plus we're putting all of our faith in AesirGod... no pressure.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I was actually hoping to start up GD commissions aqain to help out with event funding and maybe small expenses.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I mean... I feel like it wouldn't be possible to host a national if you aren't a notable tournament host...
too much could go wrong with that.
And I'm no where near ready to attempt a large scale tourney, this is my first time hosting one...

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Y'know what, that's actually brilliant... I think we have about five new-ish TOs, counting myself. I have to agree with Aesir in that we need more experience... In fact, I KNOW I do. But I would love collaborating with the others to host a regional. (Both Brawl and Melee anybody?)

...I just need more experience first.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
"A clevelands five performance" lol unfortunately I'm not much of an organizer just a helper and competitive player. I'll help support whatever u guys need

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Our library uses a projector for casual play... Does that cause lag? Everybody knows the difference between HD and CRT, but in this case I don't freaking know. 0_o; All I know is that our Wii is all the way across the room from it, which results in me having to sit in the back to use my wired controller...and, er, flying into a blind rage every time somebody walks in front of me. xD;

Top Bottom