• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTCA: A Super Smash Bros Melee Charity Tournament

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
welp... I was the first to host a spring tourney, so.... derp.
As for the national idea, I was planning to get there... eventually.... but not for a first tournament...
I won't even try to host a big anus tourney until I get a lot more experience with hosting tourneys.
I agree with this. Deff 1up your exp first dawg

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Uh, no we don't have a little thingy goast.

And lol, didn't realize I said "anus" so much :S

oh, and I'm pretty sure projectors have lag.
Normally, when I see projectors at tourneys, They have the players on a CRT, then the projector connected to the computer, and it projects everything onto a screen so that people can watch it.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
when do you guys throw down at the library. I'd come and play if it's cool with u? I'll probably end up being the scrubs of all scrubs lol

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
when do you guys throw down at the library. I'd come and play if it's cool with u? I'll probably end up being the scrubs of all scrubs lol
Most of the CHeights crew plays at our own houses, or at smashfests held by Aesir (which we need to come to again haha). Only Brawl gets playtime at Lee Road.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
oh yea... the library is horrible, we just tease it...

I sometimes go and hang out there over the summer, but I don't play there... (at least, not seriously)

Goast

Smash Journeyman
That's a shame. Where I live I would love to have some set up like that to play, competitive that is.

Oh btw if I mad a forum/board for cleveland smash events, would anyone use it?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
hey guys, I just realized...

we're probably going to have close to 50 people here.
And a $5 singles entry fee for 50 people is only about a $250 pot....
first place only gets like $150.

soooo, I may bump the singles fee up to $10, making more money for the winners.
that way, there is a $500 pot, meaning first place gets around $300.

THIS IS JUST AN IDEA. so don't get all mad, it might not happen.
I'm just putting it out there.

The tourney is still relatively cheap. $15 is still not too much to pay...

besides, you could always MM for your money back :D

Goast

Smash Journeyman
woah usually I go tourneys and first prize is like a bit over 100, but then again this sounds like a good tournout of 50 people. Honestly either way sounds good deal. Just curious if you've thought of divvying all the way down to 5th?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uh no, dividing down to fifth place gets confusing...
It also means less money for the top 3, which is kinda bad...

%4, teams is already $10 per team

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
well, in the long run, you'd probably make less money then, because less people are going to enter teams if its $10 per person.

soooo yea.
I also don't want to make the tourney too expensive...

4% APR

Smash Champion
He wants it to be $10 per person so that he can get more money when he wins.
Im not just trying to make more money, i wouldnt be playing smash if that was the goal. I just dont like how nobody cares about teams and its just seen as a secondary event. I do understand if you want to keep it at 10 per team, no biggie

team with your bro carroll :)

Get Low

Smash Ace
Im not just trying to make more money, i wouldnt be playing smash if that was the goal. I just dont like how nobody cares about teams and its just seen as a secondary event. I do understand if you want to keep it at 10 per team, no biggie
Well since teams is already the same price per person as singles, I don't see how it is being written off as a secondary event.

4% APR

Smash Champion
because each person is only putting in half the amount they would in singles. It doesnt matter though, 5 each will probably get more people, so do that. it sucks when tournies get 30 people for singles and then have like 8 teams :(

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
it also sucks when we get like 30 teams and then have too delay singles...

anyways, I'll let you all know whats happening in a few days.
(going on a little trip this weekend, so I won't be able to answer any questions)

4% APR

Smash Champion
it also sucks when we get like 30 teams and then have too delay singles...

anyways, I'll let you all know whats happening in a few days.
(going on a little trip this weekend, so I won't be able to answer any questions)
that would be sick. lets just do teams twice. Random partners the second time

Goast

Smash Journeyman
Not to get off topic but If I were to bring a couple game-cubes and TVs, would a few people be down for a "smashfest" on a Saturday morning/afternoon in March? If so, would anyone help me with coordinating things such as location (I prefer a public venue)? I would like to do a once a month kind of thing

... sorry about only having 2 set-ups atm. I am working extra hours freelancing to fund things.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
random partners would be amazing
and for those who don't know, im organizing a noob side tourney
and lastly, i would def come to your smashfest, goast

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Depending on the location I'd love to come to your Smashfests. As a matter of fact, I could bring at least half of a Brawl setup too if you'd like. The more games, the merrier. >:3

Additionally: I was planning on doing a similar thing over spring/summer... But outdoors. (Gasp!) It sounds really strange on paper, but if I'm allowed to use the location I'm looking at I think it would be really really cool. Think about it guys. :3

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
if you brought a brawl setup, you'd just be alone all night...
Cleveland's serious smash is all melee.

anyways, smashfests are usually in people's houses, and, as such, they usually only invite people they already know.
Its hard to get invited when nobody knows you.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
Oliman: Awesome, if I can find an agreeable place so everyone doesn't have to travel far (my place is not really an option)

HariKyuubi: I'm not sure of location yet. I have a car and can drive to places closer to everyone in cleveland as long as it's not hours away from garfield heights. Public places (libraries, park gazebos, schools & lounges) are just ideal because I've never met any of you so houses would be kinda strange. No offense >>. I'd be up for brawl as well.

The outdoor idea sounds good. I was thinking about it for this but weather in cleveland is... yeah

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uh yea goast, we could meet up at the heights library sometime maybe...
but not until Its warmer.
because **** cold.

but playing smash there is like... a joke....
everybody sucks and their TVs lag like crazy.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Huh? Nah, it's not *all* Melee up in Cleveland... In fact, there's quite a few players of both games. From what I've seen, each group is decently sized, but they just don't interact that much. For this particular crowd, though, I can see where you're coming from. Eh well. :p

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
... I live here...
Our melee scene may be a joke, but at least we have serious players.
Our brawl scene are total scrubs.

@goast, no need to bring anything (they don't let you lol)
And there would probably be more hanging out than playing anyway, since the TVs make everybody mad after awhile.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Oliman: Awesome, if I can find an agreeable place so everyone doesn't have to travel far (my place is not really an option)

HariKyuubi: I'm not sure of location yet. I have a car and can drive to places closer to everyone in cleveland as long as it's not hours away from garfield heights. Public places (libraries, park gazebos, schools & lounges) are just ideal because I've never met any of you so houses would be kinda strange. No offense >>. I'd be up for brawl as well.
Dude, inviting people you barely know over to your house to play smash and having a very awkward time is what the smash community is all about. It may seem strange, but it's honestly the best way to get practice and meet everyone in your local smash community. Trying to find a neutral location just makes things more complicated.

Droly

Smash Ace
Dude, inviting people you barely know over to your house to play smash and having a very awkward time is what the smash community is all about. It may seem strange, but it's honestly the best way to get practice and meet everyone in your local smash community. Trying to find a neutral location just makes things more complicated.
+1 totally

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I don't really mind meeting new people at all, but I prefer public places before just letting anyone come to my home or going to someone else's home. It's just safer especially over the internet. Not that I don't trust you it's just kinda sketchy and I never met any of you.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Sketchy? Well, I CAN see where you're coming from. A little bit of caution is alright. But, honestly, there are much better places for creepy 50-year-old basement dwellers to go than Smashboards. :p Have friends with you if you're concerned, even if they're scrubs. That's what I do.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
we'll meet up at the library, its not a big deal at all...
I prefer to meet people before I let them into my house anyways.

but once you meet one of us, it pretty much means you can get into a lot more local events.

Top Bottom