• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Wry Mustache Man: Dominating Strategies Discussion

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Up B has a new animation that looks more like the Mario Tornado. Does anyone know if he still rises when he uses it on the ground?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So a friend just told me something REALLY interesting and potentially useful about Wario

You know how you can't pick up the tires, and that they disappear quickly? Well apparently if you're quick enough to eat it (bite I presume), he actually recovers health.

Hoooly **** lol

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
So a friend just told me something REALLY interesting and potentially useful about Wario

You know how you can't pick up the tires, and that they disappear quickly? Well apparently if you're quick enough to eat it (bite I presume), he actually recovers health.

Hoooly **** lol
Whoa, you can eat the broken pieces? I once saw in a vid that you can eat the bike for 1hp healing, but if you can eat the broken parts for more health, that could be something good.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Whoa, you can eat the broken pieces? I once saw in a vid that you can eat the bike for 1hp healing, but if you can eat the broken parts for more health, that could be something good.
He said he doesn't exactly know how many health he recovered since it caught him by surprise.

I'll ask him to replicate it to see it myself, but he's busy playing online right now.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Is there any footage of wario moves or gameplay in this yet? I know a lot of his moves haven't changed, but since it's a new game I'd like to see him fighting against other characters.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Wario looks so fluent when he moves now instead of his stiff movements in Brawl it honestly is a welcome change! I've heard a lot of people complain about his Side-B being his Bike instead of his Shoulder Bash. I feel these complaints are not really necessary yet, because he could have a custom move where the bike functions exactly like his shoulder bash where he rides the bike forward a small distance and when you ram into someone the bike breaks apart.

Possibly?

Shmebulock

Smash Cadet
By the way Wario's new back throw (old forward throw) now works like Mario's/Luigi's as in swinging someone around can be used to hurt surrounding players.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
By the way Wario's new back throw (old forward throw) now works like Mario's/Luigi's as in swinging someone around can be used to hurt surrounding players.
Oh it didn't do that in Brawl? Always thought it did.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Talk about your understatements... The ability to use the bike mid-air alone makes it one of the best recovers in the whole game. Side-B in the air, hop off the bike, and then try and say Wario's recovery leaves a lot to be desired again.
Plus you can add a fully charged Waft into this mix. Wario's recovery is godlike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I didn't notice he couldn't hit people with his FThrow in Brawl until today.
Always nice to have little details added.

Shmebulock

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this was known already, but the motorbike can now damage people after Wario has jumped off of it mid-ride.
I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case in Brawl.

Last edited:

warioismymain

Smash Cadet
So, do you guys know all of the combos for Wario that legitimately "link" as we call it in Street fighter. Or is it all still just clever reads and such?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So, do you guys know all of the combos for Wario that legitimately "link" as we call it in Street fighter. Or is it all still just clever reads and such?
Well we still need to know how combos would work in this game with the recent discovery of vectoring.

Seems more likely it'll be like Brawl and that there aren't true combos, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for Wario. *shrugs* Seems like vectoring is really good for him than anything, but too early to tell.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah noticed it too. Probably a mistake.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
He has almost no presence in For Glory mode, and I fully intend to change that for him and G&W once the game releases.

I think his bike buffs might be the most important out of the ones he's received, since the bike retaining its hitbox after he jumps off it makes it a much more viable approach option, as his opponents will be forced to react to it and potentially put themselves in a bad position to dodge his attacks after.

Voynich

Smash Rookie
Here's the video footage to confirm this 100%. You can see the traditional punch Wario had as his F-tilt in Brawl as well as a new one he charges as his forward smash. Not completely sure if this is exactly a bad change or a good change with what little information about it we have.

On the bright side, D-tilt and D-smash's atrocious cool down lag has been lowered very heavily.

His new Fsmash seems like it has a bit more startup lag (although the range improvement is nice)

warioismymain

Smash Cadet
The list mentions something about certain characters only being available to Premium members
Yes but that makes no sense because that would make wario the only playable character that isn't on the list, besides all the way at the bottom of the list is all of the exclusive ones, of which wario is absent.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm kind of curious about what custom moves for Wario are going to be the most popular, after seeing all of them in action.

He has:

Vacuum Bite: Has a strong vacuum effect that draws foes in from a little over two body lengths away, but he bites slower and causes less damage as a result. Looks much easier to connect with, which could make the loss of damage worth it.

Garlic Breath: Has long start-up, but dizzies opponents who are within about a body length of his mouth, and trips anyone further out. Looks really difficult to connect with, but is basically a free charged smash attack if you do.

Fast Bike: The bike moves and accelerates more quickly, but causes less damage/knockback, breaks more easily, and can't turn. Dropping a wheelie on someone seems just as effective at KOing as with the normal bike, though. It's definitely easier to ram people with it, but even wimpy projectiles can destroy the bike now.

Burying Bike: The bike moves slowly, but buries if connects with a grounded opponent, and is more durable, being able to bounce six times before it breaks. For those who like throwing the bike around, they'll love this custom, as it's difficult to keep even the normal bike on the stage without crashing it into the ledge due to its increased speed. Can also lead to some interesting follow-ups due to the bike burying even if Wario isn't riding it. However, it drops like a rock when you use it in midair, and barely gets you any distance when used for recovery.

Wide Corkscrew: A slightly weaker Corkscrew that can be angled nearly in a 180 degree radius, but doesn't go as far. Has a very horizontal hit trajectory that could put certain characters into a bad position for recovering.

Wario High Jump: Gets almost twice the distance of the standard Corkscrew, but sacrifices all of its damage. Could be good for those who choose the Burying Bike, due to how terrible it is for recovering compared to the other two versions.

Floral Waft: The waft loses its KO power and some damage (21% with a full charge), but now plants flowers of varying sizes based on its charge level, and even the minimum charge wafts now knock people around and cause damage. The waft's value as a KO move seems too good to sacrifice it for this, IMO.

Fast Waft: The waft charges extremely quickly (Around 20-30 seconds for a full charge), but loses out on even more damage then the previous version, only doing 18% with a full charge, and not being capable of KOing even at 100%. I suppose for those who like to fart to fly around, it could be entertaining, but again, it's so much weaker then the standard waft that I can't imagine using it for anything other then maybe Smash Run, where the extra "jumps" could come in handy, and the damage output of moves is the main thing that matters. For whatever it's worth, you can also spam uncharged farts about twice quickly with this custom, as well.

Last edited:

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
I myself am going to use all the defaults except for High Jump and maybe Garlic Breath.
I haven't seen Garlic breath in action, I wanna know if you can just mash out of the stun and how it looks in action

warioismymain

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkX5cZRQoI

If you look at around 7 minutes and 24 secs in, Wario does his dash attack, causing G&W to trip, he then followed it up with a side smash, I just wanted to know if this was a (legit) combo, or is there any way that G&W could've gotten out of it?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
lol pop gifs ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

So Wario's grab release problem is back. It's not as BAD, and apparently only Mac, ZSS, Rosalina and Shulk have guaranteed follow ups. Not exactly good news lol

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
lol pop gifs ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

So Wario's grab release problem is back. It's not as BAD, and apparently only Mac, ZSS, Rosalina and Shulk have guaranteed follow ups. Not exactly good news lol
Well at least there is not a lot who can GR Wario.
Are there any deadly followups?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well at least there is not a lot who can GR Wario.
Are there any deadly followups?
Mac can pretty much connect with his KO punch so that's a big one.

Though it'll require Mac to grab Wario while the meter is full, so yeah.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
This shouldn't be downplayed, it's actually pretty terrible and it's only going to get worse. So depressing...

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
I found a video showing it.

Although to me it would seem like Palutenas UpSmash would connect, can it not?

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It's too slow to connect with him.

In any case, they're probably going to patch the game again once Conquest Mode goes out of beta testing, so I'll just hope this problem and the numerous other glitches affecting gameplay negatively are addressed sooner or later.

On a side note, does anyone know what happens if Wario eats something explosive now? I saw someone claiming that it maxes his waft out instantly, but that sounds way too good to be true.

Wariuzzo

Smash Rookie
On a side note, does anyone know what happens if Wario eats something explosive now? I saw someone claiming that it maxes his waft out instantly, but that sounds way too good to be true.
Nope, it doesn't work.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
The Wario Waft is possibly the most important tool in Wario's arsenal.

It's Wario's go-to KO move and an exceptional punishing tool. I've had a lot of success by getting a stock lead via an early WW KO, because Wario himself is fairly difficult to KO, and as a result, your opponent is liable to make mistakes in an attempt to KO him in return.

warioismymain

Smash Cadet
The Wario Waft is possibly the most important tool in Wario's arsenal.

It's Wario's go-to KO move and an exceptional punishing tool. I've had a lot of success by getting a stock lead via an early WW KO, because Wario himself is fairly difficult to KO, and as a result, your opponent is liable to make mistakes in an attempt to KO him in return.
I completely agree, I killed a bowser, on my last stock at 120%, the bowser was at 53% an quite far of the stage so I jumped off the stage and just as he was gonna up b I wafted KOing the troll lord himself bowser. Yippy-ki-aye motha ****a's!

Last edited:

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Having mained wario in brawl, I'd consider him to be overall not too nerfed in this one. The new forward smash CAN kill, and compared to other characters, he's generally pretty deadly.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I feel wario is amazing. He has great mobility, a great recovery, powerful ko moves, and an unpredictable gameplay style. I love wario in this game, and after I won my local gamestop brawl tourney with wario, I knew I was going to be playing him a lot more in smash 4

Top Bottom