• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Wry Mustache Man: Dominating Strategies Discussion

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
To save any superfluous threads, and to differentiate the other thread as more of a Social/general, the "game play" general~

From what I saw, was unlocked within a short few multiplayer matches

wario.png

Feel free to cover move set observations, Q&A and initial game play thoughts on Wario!

Is his alternate/original costumes back? New animations all around? Is he still extremely mobile in the air?
I guess we'll hopefully see more soon to get more details!

Neutral air has a new larger animation/extension (it looks almost like he's flapping his arms like wings?)
"Obviously" his original costume set is back!
Forward Smash seems to be an enlarged punch now (Forward Tilt is the same)
Up Smash seems to be more akin to Mario's (a sweeping head) rather than the multihit one.
All other seen moves seem similar but maybe different animations.

[Feel free to yell at me for the topic title and request a change :)]

Last edited:

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Watching the stream, Im getting really concerned the signature move has been removed.

WHY

Burruni

Smash Hero
Because that move was never official.
The shoulder bash was the move added in by Project M modders.
It was foolish, as much as it would've been great to have, to believe that would replace the bike.

JabbatheHutt

Because that move was never official.
The shoulder bash was the move added in by Project M modders.
It was foolish, as much as it would've been great to have, to believe that would replace the bike.
No it was his Quick Smash in Brawl!!

Burruni

Smash Hero
A generic punch, which has a lot of landing lag.

Congratulations Sakurai, you managed to make Wario even worse. URGH.
Ehn. I can deal with it. His general mobility has seemed to be improved and DAT UP SMASH.

I'm gonna end up continuing to main my unholy trinity.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm guessing it's a customizable move.

Also his old FSmash has a lot lag too, and really low range. I'll miss the armor though.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah his dash attack is a buffed up version of his Brawl one. SideB is still the motorcycle.

Good bye shoulder... it's so sad. Why would you take his most iconic move away? That's such BS. ;__;

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'm actually okay with this entirely. I kind of wanted Wario to use his fists more in fighting.

Sad to see it go, but okay with the result.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
I liked the shoulder move it matched Wario perfectly. Wario was always a character I had a hard time playing against the same with Peach. I always have had a hard time playing against certain characters in pvp games like Twisted Fate in LoL.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm actually okay with this entirely. I kind of wanted Wario to use his fists more in fighting.

Sad to see it go, but okay with the result.
Yeah I'm actually conflicted about this too. Guess I'll just see how good his new FSmash is to judge.

Will really miss the Shoulder Bash. The hell? :/

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Wario is incredibly fast or so it seems. I will miss the shoulder bash since it was an actual traditional move of his but he seems to have gotten some good buffs.

JabbatheHutt

Wario is incredibly fast or so it seems. I will miss the shoulder bash since it was an actual traditional move of his but he seems to have gotten some good buffs.
Ya he's much, much, faster. That I do love.

Maybe the shoulder bash is a custom option for his bike

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The thing I'm getting from watching really quickly is that Wario overall has better hitboxes than before, and his D-tilt in particular is a much better move making him more well rounded on the ground than before. However he looks like he has slightly less mobility, particularly air mobility. Also still slower moving on the ground compared to other characters.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, honestly, I don't even like the Brawl design for Wario very much even though I was really excited for him in Brawl. He just felt idk. I just didn't like it. I guess Brawl in general feels like moving through syrup to me, but when I am playing Wario in Brawl, I notably worse than most of the cast in that respect, and I just hope it doesn't feel like that to me in the new game.

And I am so used to shoulder bashing in PM, so if the new Wario isn't satisfactory, well at least we still have him, right? xD

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
A generic punch, which has a lot of landing lag.

Congratulations Sakurai, you managed to make Wario even worse. URGH.
Here's the video footage to confirm this 100%. You can see the traditional punch Wario had as his F-tilt in Brawl as well as a new one he charges as his forward smash. Not completely sure if this is exactly a bad change or a good change with what little information about it we have.

On the bright side, D-tilt and D-smash's atrocious cool down lag has been lowered very heavily.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I have a feeling the side smash is different because they added his shoulder barge as a side special option. Can't think of why else they would intentionally remove the only move from Wario Land in his entire moveset.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I like that he is in his wario ware outfit. I'm curious about what his alts are.
If his side special is the shoulder barge and his down special is the ground pound/earthshake punch (depending whether you're in the air) then he's a now a flawless representation of the character, from both of his main franchises.

I'm gonna remain optimistic. His animations already feel much more like the Wario we all know and love.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
If his side special is the shoulder barge and his down special is the ground pound/earthshake punch (depending whether you're in the air) then he's a now a flawless representation of the character, from both of his main franchises.

I'm gonna remain optimistic. His animations already feel much more like the Wario we all know and love.
Yeah I agree with you 100 percent. This may be slightly off topic but not since its wario, but have you played the wario ware games?

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Yeah I agree with you 100 percent. This may be slightly off topic but not since its wario, but have you played the wario ware games?
Extensively.

I've played Wario's Woods, every Wario Land game, every Wario Ware game, Wario World, Super Mario 64 DS, pretty much every significant Wario game. He's by far my favourite Nintendo character. As someone who felt Brawl's Wario was an absolute bastardization, I'm very happy about the little tweaks to make him more like he should be.

AidanTheGreat

Smash Journeyman
Extensively.

I've played Wario's Woods, every Wario Land game, every Wario Ware game, Wario World, Super Mario 64 DS, pretty much every significant Wario game. He's by far my favourite Nintendo character. As someone who felt Brawl's Wario was an absolute *******ization, I'm very happy about the little tweaks to make him more like he should be.
Yeah, I think he was more of a joke in brawl? Woah, you seem like a huge Wario fan. Ive personally just played the wario ware games, I own D.I.Y and one of the gameboy advance ones and love them. If you had to choose one Wario character from his games to appear as playable alongside him who would it be? I'm thinking Mona.

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
Actually, in a roundabout way, his down throw is sort of a representation of his original attack from Super Mario Land 2, where he made his first appearance.

The animation is much more akin to what he did in the closing cutscene of the first set of games of WarioWare Inc., at least in Brawl, but to me he'll always has that. (It'd be better if there was a sound effect that matched that very attack, but in general I'm cool with WarioWare Wario.)

I can't say for sure because I do not have the game for myself, but it seems like he's just smoothed out around just about all his attacks. A bit less lag, a bit more range, a bit less knockback on stuff that killed fairly quick before. He's more well-rounded now.

I think it's because they want earlier kills that see people go straight through the blast line to be more the property of the slower, stronger characters, of which Wario just barely misses that classification (as he is called a very agile heavyweight). I'm sure the fart is still deadly.

It seems like all his good approaches are still there, and I imagine you can still harass with a stale move'd forward air just fine from what little I've been able to see. He's my all-time favorite Nintendo character, so I really look forward to seeing how well he translates to the new engine.

Okay, I guess I'll confess I liked the rougher, jankier animations in Brawl more, but the new ones are still funny to watch.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm going to be honest: as much as I love The Big W in Brawl, I never could figure out his fighting style. He always just struck me as a fairly balanced fighter with some strong attacks and exceptionally short range. Except for the bike, his moves seem to be up close and personal, and even then, the bike is a dangerous tactic. You're literally riding into the heat of battle and it's not like it's indestructible or anything. His recovery also leaves a lot to be desired, though being able to use the bike in mid-air to cover horizontal spacing is a welcome touch.

That being said, he's still one of my favourite characters in the game and I've learned to get pretty good with him over the years, even if I do say so myself. The new info on him in Smash 4 is getting me pretty hype - it's addressing most of the concerns I had with him and fixing a whole lot of things I didn't even know I wanted to be fixed! ;3

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
His recovery also leaves a lot to be desired, though being able to use the bike in mid-air to cover horizontal spacing is a welcome touch.
Talk about your understatements... The ability to use the bike mid-air alone makes it one of the best recovers in the whole game. Side-B in the air, hop off the bike, and then try and say Wario's recovery leaves a lot to be desired again.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Talk about your understatements... The ability to use the bike mid-air alone makes it one of the best recovers in the whole game. Side-B in the air, hop off the bike, and then try and say Wario's recovery leaves a lot to be desired again.
To be fair, you are corrct. It passes the "Hyrule Temple" test, albeit with some difficulty. ;3

To wit: go to Hyrule Temple and see if you can make it from the altar at the centre-bottom of the stage to the ledge at the top right-hand corner. Wario can just about manage it if you're savvy and have good timing.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Feels very Brawlly. From what I can tell doesn't get Grab Release combo'd like he used to (but people here haven't necessarily been trying).
New Upsmash is appreciated, as is the F-Smash, but neither help with his main problem in Brawl, a complete lack of approach options. I feel like unless the high tier meta of this game is significantly weaker than Brawl's, Wario is going to fall by the wayside quickly. His counterplay has already been solved.

Also he can't break his Bike for tires. :/ It just disappears.

Also B and F-throw were swapped. He does the butt bump on fthrow and spinning throw on Bthrow similar to the Marios.

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info Strong Bad, we appreciate you giving us your honest thoughts. And if you don't mind me asking, we are getting conflicting reports from someone here who tested the grab release on a CPU who claims it still might be here but to a lesser capacity, is there any way for you to verify if it truly works or not on a human player?

Top Bottom