• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would u buy Brawl even if it has no online?? I certainly wouldnt. read b4 post

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
I know, u must be thinking "how can u say it would be pointless???" well, yes, and here are my reasons.

First of all, ive read a lot of comments about how brawl could suck, well, i dont think thats gonna happen, im sure its gonna be an awesome game.

Now, whats the best thing about smash?? playing with a lot of people!! when melee came out, maybe we played it alone, beating all the events, and mastering a character, etc, but the truth is that the real fun is gathering with friends and play, isnt it?

So, playing with friends is a lot of fun, playing in tournaments is great, fighting to prove whos the best, and what would be better than being able to play with every single smash player around the world? getting the chance to play with people that, if there was no online, u would never get a chance to play with. and well, obviously, getting the chance to play with the best smash players, and fight not to win a local tournament, but to be within the very best players of the whole world

I guess i made my point about how cool would online be XD

Now, let me ask somethin, how many of u have friends who have melee?? i bet every single one of u know at least one person who owns it... but most likely A LOT of ur friends have it

Well, i also have a lot of friends who have it, and all of them plan to buy brawl when it comes out. So why would i want a game that a lot of friends will have? because of online play!! Fight with good players worldwide, improve records and win battle to be one of the best players, or just play for fun and make friends, and yet, i will still get togheter with my friends to play

If there is no online i could just play with them... so, if everyone has it, why do i want it?? cause, as i first said, im sure brawl is gonna be a great game, lot of game modes and stuff, but in the end, what we all keep playing, is free for all with our friends

Same thing with melee, everyone has it but if u think about it, is not really neccesary, cause im sure that most of u rarely play it by urself, so what u really need is a controller to go and play it with someone else

I know some of u wanna buy it to play the new modes or collect all the new thropies, and yes, i wanna do it too, but if there is no online, i rather just borrow the game and play it

I dont have a Wii, i would buy one just for Brawl, and i would only buy Brawl for online play

So there u go, thats why i think online is a must to make it worth my money, and im sure that Nintendo knows how important online play is nowadays, even more talkin about a game such as Brawl!! but since absolutely nothin has been told about online im still praying for it to be included

Do anyone else feels like me? Please comment, maybe u can make me change my mind... or maybe ill get a lot of people to not buy it haha but what i really hope is that online is announced soon and close this thread ;)

TastelessRamen

Smash Apprentice
Online will be a joke.

The difference between an intermediate and advanced smash player is fractions of a second divided thousands of times over a match.

There is no way that an environment can be propagated online that will allow for real competitive play. The lag would be insurmountable. I think online will be a complete waste of time. I'd rather they spent that time adding new features instead, since the online component is doomed to failure as far as i'm concerned.

Adi

Smash Lord
Yeah online is just going to a be a method of practice for people who don't have anyone near them to play with. It's not going to be a big deal.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Another online thread. Ok, I personally would buy with or without online. It's always a plus if a game has good online, and it will definitely help sales. People want online, Nintendo needs to realize this. They tried with Strikers, which from the thread about online lag, has some lag for most people. I'm just glad that Brawl won't be Nintendo's first online game. It shows them their mistakes, gives them time to fix them. I'm not worried about Brawl not being online like wiseguy is, i'm confident that it will, and that it will be great.

So i'll onlineless, but I will be disapointed.

goodkid

Smash Lord
I would buy Brawl, even if there was no online. I play Mario STrikers Charged online, and there is lots of lag. Online would help you practice just like Adi said.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I will buy it whether it's online or not.

To be honest I haven't really experienced much multi player. I've only played it once with somebody else at their house. The game amuses me enough that multi player isn't a big deal to me. Still I hope for online so I get to experience it.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
If there is no online i could just play with them... so, if everyone has it, why do i want it?? cause, as i first said, im sure brawl is gonna be a great game, lot of game modes and stuff, but in the end, what we all keep playing, is free for all with our friends
What the hell are you talking about??? Look at Melee, we still play it, this scene is huge. We got this far with this game even without online play. Brawl will probably be better than Melee, even if it doesn't have online capabilities. Just cause you can't play it online doesn't mean you can't enjoy the hell out of it with all your friends.

If you are so against brawl if it has no online features, why the hell are you even at this site?

The difference between an intermediate and advanced smash player is fractions of a second divided thousands of times over a match.
Umm... maybe if we were playing Fox/Falco matches or dittos all the time, but last time I checked I could outsmart intermediate players and just land silly forward smashes with Marth.

A lot of people think that tech skill is the only road to victory, when it's not. Yeah, lag could mess up a few techs or a smash DI, but that won't make online matches unenjoyable. Unless you are going the bombsoldier route in which a mistake could destroy an otherwise lethal combo, you aren't going to suffer too much if you have a decent ineternet connection.

Online play would be a great place to get in some good and diverse practice without having to drive around everywhere for it. It will not replace playing with people in person though, nor will it replace the tournament scene.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
Online will be a joke.

There is no way that an environment can be propagated online that will allow for real competitive play. The lag would be insurmountable. I think online will be a complete waste of time. I'd rather they spent that time adding new features instead, since the online component is doomed to failure as far as i'm concerned.
I agree completely.

Crocop's Left Leg

Smash Rookie
i might not buy it if it doesn't have online gameplay. i unlocked everything in melee, played it with a couple friends a bit, but haven't gotten that much use out of it really... if brawl is online i will probably play it every day

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Just cause you can't play it online doesn't mean you can't enjoy the hell out of it with all your friends.

If you are so against brawl if it has no online features, why the hell are you even at this site?
Mmmm, actually i did mention that i would still go with my friends to play, i guess everyone would, maybe more than playing online, what i meant is that if it has no online, i wouldnt buy it, cause everyone else will, and i we will still get togheter to play, thats the whole point!! and yes, it will be still a great game even without online. so i guess u really didnt get me

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone that says they wouldn't buy it if it didn't have online will end up eating those words when the game comes out. You're just kidding yourselves.

except in situations like Chronos where the only time he gets to play multiplayer is when his friends with Smash come over. That's no big deal.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I'll buy it even if it's not online.It will be though,so there's no reason to worry.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Anyone that says they wouldn't buy it if it didn't have online will end up eating those words when the game comes out. You're just kidding yourselves.

except in situations like Chronos where the only time he gets to play multiplayer is when his friends with Smash come over. That's no big deal.
Actually i played melee a lot by myself, but i guess the most fun comes with multiplayer... so if all my friends will buy it, i dont think it would be smart to buy it, i mean, is the only reason why i would buy the wii, so unless it has online it would be worth buying it. but of course i will play it!! XD

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You know, it's your prerogative if you want to deny yourself a game like Brawl just because there's no online play. Doesn't effect me at all.

But I don't really care about online. I have plenty of fun playing on my own or just with my friends. MY friends, though. Not people over in Australia who I've never met or something. I've never done it, so I guess I can't say anything for sure, but I think I enjoy playing with people I know much more than I would people I don't. "Testing my skills" is not something I'm particularly interested in.

I see your point about your friends owning the game, thus giving you less of a reason to get it yourself, but I want the luxury of playing it whenever I want. To each their own.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
You know, it's your prerogative if you want to deny yourself a game like Brawl just because there's no online play. Doesn't effect me at all.

But I don't really care about online. I have plenty of fun playing on my own or just with my friends. MY friends, though. Not people over in Australia who I've never met or something. I've never done it, so I guess I can't say anything for sure, but I think I enjoy playing with people I know much more than I would people I don't. "Testing my skills" is not something I'm particularly interested in.

I see your point about your friends owning the game, thus giving you less of a reason to get it yourself, but I want the luxury of playing it whenever I want. To each their own.
Well, i guess u are the first one that actually got what i was talking about haha.

Ur right, nothing beats playing with ur friends, but i would like to test myself as u say. thats of course, if the online option is good enough and there are good players

i havent tried online games either until recently, and is pretty cool, u should try it

Wreked

Smash Lord
i havent tried online games either until recently, and is pretty cool, u should try it
I too have just recently started playing online games. I have three in fact. I own a PSP, the three online games I have are Ratchet and Clank(online is ok). Daxter(the worst of the three), and Socom US Navy Seals Fireteam Bravo 2(best online out of the three). And i'll admit online is pretty cool. I rarely experience lag. The worst i've had is that I got disconnected once. So i'm confident Brawl will have mastered online by December.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
Come on,every continuing Wii game made by Nintendo is Wi Fi even Pokemon and your telling me SSBB is not having online?....Mario strikers charged has online multiplayer and IGN said it happens to be Lag-free!

Smilez

Smash Journeyman
I want Brawl to include an online competitive feature. "But" the online feature must be fully functional. I want Nintendo and the Creators of Brawl to put their all into making a seamless online fighting experience. If they don't strive for that then they shouldn't even bother. I say Nintendo because they should realize what an successful online franchise can do to sales and longevity of the Wii.

Why do you think there are so many more Halo players out there than Smash players? Do you think its a better game, more fun, easier,...what? Its none of that. Its more accessible. One of Nintendo's major selling points in this generation is "Accessibility". But yet they have been extremely resilient to implementing online functionality into Wii games(not talking about DS)

Think about it.....what do you have to do truly have fun playing smash.

You have to get a bunch of you friends to together in the same place.(Hope that its ok w/ parents, everyone has a ride, not too late...etc.)
VS.
A Halo player all he has to do is ...ummm turn on his xbox....yep thats it doesn't matter what time, how much money he has in his pocket, if he has a car, has gas, etc.

I'm a college student I'm not going to live next door to my friends forever. I go to college in South Fl. I have a close friend that go to school in Central Fl. I would much rather jump online and play Halo w/ him than than drive 2hours to get a session of Smash. Do I like Halo more?? Not necessarily. But online functionality makes it easier to have fun w/ my friends and to make new ones. Simple.

Sorry for long post.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Online mode was the last thing in my mind when I got excited about this game. To tell you the truth, I nearly forgotten it until this thread appeared.

Online is good but I can live without it.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Ok so I'm guessing EVERY game you own has online? Games that don't have online aren't worth your money then?
I've come to the conclusion that you constantly play xbox live, and don't own ANY games without online play.

The point of buying a game is to play it, not to play online. Even if it doesn't have online, everyone is still going to buy it (that is, smash fans of course) . Melee doesn't have online, and imo it's the PERFECT game.
Who needs online when you have a perfect game?

Modest_Egoist

Smash Journeyman
CT's worst Peach. Float Cancelling... what's that?
There are games that do benefit from online, mainly because not everyone in your area has it. Strikers is one such example for me. It's a great game, but none of my friends have a copy of the game and they live far from me, so online is a great addition to that game. Brawl will not suffer the same fate, since everyone will try to get their mitts on that game, so online would be nice, but not a total necessity...

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I would buy Brawl if the site was all lies and the only playable characters were Waluigi and Naruto, items were always on very high with nothing but Bomb-ombs, and you could only play one minute coin matches on Icicle Maintain against level 3 CPUs

Yeah...I'm a fanboy...

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I would buy Brawl if the site was all lies and the only playable characters were Waluigi and Naruto, items were always on very high with nothing but Bomb-ombs, and you could only play one minute coin matches on Icicle Maintain against level 3 CPUs

Yeah...I'm a fanboy...
I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
I think the problem with people and online is that we expect perfection. Lag, even the tiniest bit, will throw off a hardcore gamer. So personally I'm not getting my hopes up about online play.
Us smashers have been spoiled on Melee, which is one of the best multiplayer experiances out there hands down. We see Brawl, and say "oh great now I can have the exact same experiance online" and then if there is lag we complain and say "well I'm not buying it without good online play". But I think it's needs to be accepted that playing a match online will not be the same as playing one in person. When I first heard Brawl might be online, the first thing I thought of was a huge online tournament with the best Smash players around the world. Frankly, that's a pipe dream. Online will most likely be a place for casual gaming and practice and not for professional level battles.
That being said, if the online is no good or non-existant, it will not stop me from buying Brawl. And there are a lot of suggestions going around for Nintendo to make a seamless online experiance (a daunting task for a company that has a grand total of 2 online games at the moment). But IMO, i'd rather have Nintendo focusing on THE GAME. Melee was a near perfect multiplayer game without online play. Would it be better with online play? That's honestly debateable.
My feeling is that online play will not be perfect, and some of us hardcore smashers want it to be. We want a Halo-like online experiance: Sucessful, fully functional and easily accessable, and I can't see that happening. Will I still use online mode? yes. If it's not there will I buy Brawl? Of course. Not having online didn't prevent me from buy Melee.

Wow I am posting some long ones today!

M.K

Level 55
I'm not getting my hopes up for Online Brawl at all. Seriously, I took one match on Mario Strikers Charged online and it was incredibly lagtastic. I couldn't even play defense, yet alone move my player without having the opponent jump 7 feet forward. He suddenly jumps 40 feet to the middle of the goal and score? WTF? Granted my computer and TV are a floor apart with a wall inbetween, but even with 3 stars connection, it was unbearable.

What is these people's problem? Do ALL you care about is online? Could you SUCK any more of the excitement/fun/anticipation out of the game? I think not...

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Dang it, MookieRah! You keep beating me to all the good threads that need severe logic smackdowns. Well, at least you are saving me some work. :chuckle:

Seriously, online play will be nifty feature worth experimenting on, but it will have little bearing on the competitive smash community. If you do not believe me, just look at the Halo 2 community. Sure, they benefit from having online play, but tournaments are live. MLG hosts tournaments in physical venues.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I'm guessing EVERY game you own has online? Games that don't have online aren't worth your money then?
I've come to the conclusion that you constantly play xbox live, and don't own ANY games without online play.

The point of buying a game is to play it, not to play online. Even if it doesn't have online, everyone is still going to buy it (that is, smash fans of course) . Melee doesn't have online, and imo it's the PERFECT game.
Who needs online when you have a perfect game?
I actually dont have any online games, in fact, right now, i dont have any game at all, im waiting for brawl, still, if i had any, no, online wouldnt be that important, again, as i said before, my point is that, since all my friends will buy it, getting it myself wouldnt be that neccesary, capish?

And yes, melee is indeed a great game, actually ill meet with some friends in about an hour to play XD

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
I'm a college student I'm not going to live next door to my friends forever. I go to college in South Fl. I have a close friend that go to school in Central Fl. I would much rather jump online and play Halo w/ him than than drive 2hours to get a session of Smash. Do I like Halo more?? Not necessarily. But online functionality makes it easier to have fun w/ my friends and to make new ones. Simple.
Im glad to see that theres some people that actually got what i meant XD

And u mentioned somethin that i forgot!! As u say, online makes it easier to get in touch with friends, and yes, it will never replace actually playing all togheter in a room, but doing that is not always possible. and u can also make new friends so, is a cool feature

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Let's face it: Online mode is going to suck anyway. It will be laggy as all hell since most people are connected via WiFi, and your options will most likely be limited. On the off chance that Sakurai decides Nintendo needs to get its **** together with online and make it good, there's still the whole Friend Codes ordeal, and most people don't have fifty feet of ethernet lying around, either. Brawl will be great because of its mutliplayer the same way Melee was great with its multiplayer: Tournaments, in person.

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
Mario Strikers seems to be playing online pretty well. Lets hope they learned something from that. You dont need friendcodes for that unless you just want to play certain people you know.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Mario Strikers seems to be playing online pretty well. Lets hope they learned something from that. You dont need friendcodes for that unless you just want to play certain people you know.
Kind of like... all of Nintendo's online games? (Atleast that I know of :dizzy:)

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. I forgot about Pokemon D/P. Although you can still play against random people's pokemon in the battle tower, but I think they're AI controlled?

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Well i am hoping for a good online expierience with Brawl. But i think it wont be played as much by competitive players because a bit of lag WILL throw off their game.If Nintendo is smart,they will throw in online features.If you look at it, almost every succesful electronic device is succesful because it lets us communicate. The car, cell phone, telephone, internet ect.I mean its human nature to want to communicate, and when we can, we do.

Top Bottom