• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would u buy Brawl even if it has no online?? I certainly wouldnt. read b4 post

Banks

Smash Hero
i am perfectly happy with the tournament scene and how melee is going right now. i have made dozens and dozens of friends off the game by traveling and playing smash. so if brawl wasn't online, it would mean continuing the way people in my area play but with a new game, which is great. So i'd buy it. it will probably be online also, it would be a stupid move by nintendo not to make it online, and that is also awesome, but it really is just another awesome thing on a whole big list of awesomeness.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I actually dont have any online games, in fact, right now, i dont have any game at all, im waiting for brawl, still, if i had any, no, online wouldnt be that important, again, as i said before, my point is that, since all my friends will buy it, getting it myself wouldnt be that neccesary, capish?

And yes, melee is indeed a great game, actually ill meet with some friends in about an hour to play XD
The reasons for buying it yourself would be just the joy of owning Brawl and being able to play it WHENEVER you wanted to. Also, knowing that you ALONE have unlocked every unlockable in the game is also more satisfying than copying your friends memory card IMO.

"NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING"

Doesn't that just make your day?

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
I would buy it regardless. Anyone who thinks online is a big deal is an idiot.
Actually, anyone who thinks that someone else is an idiot because of his/her opinion, has more chances to be an idiot himself XD

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I know some of u wanna buy it to play the new modes or collect all the new thropies, and yes, i wanna do it too, but if there is no online, i rather just borrow the game and play it

I dont have a Wii,
i would buy one just for Brawl, and i would only buy Brawl for online play
1). How do you plan on borrowing the game if you don't have a Wii.
2). Who's going to let you borrow their copy of Brawl? Not me.

Hope you have a lot of friends who don't mind sharing their toys with you.

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
I would still buy it because if you dont buy it just because it doesnt have no online then you may not be a big fan. Many of the people who have played for a long time will probably buy it no matter what like i will just because they like the franchise.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
To all those who refuse to purchase Brawl without online play: you've made your point. Now, GET OUT OF SMASHBOARDS!

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Buzz, I swear, every time I see the "Quote" in your sig, I try to highlight the hidden quote, just to realize there isn't one... ugh.

Counterstrike.... COUNTERSTRIKE, the single most played online game (except WoW) in gaming history has its own ultimate pro tourney in person (CPL). I don't see why brawl would be any different.

However, I believe that when trying new characters or honing new combos against intermediate opponents, online will be invaluable.

From experience, most friends will just start punching you after the fifteenth time you say "wait! let me try this combo on you!"

~behemoth

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
Online will mostly only be valuable for people to play with eachother and not need to travel many miles to do so. Other than that its almost the same experiece, trust me ive played xbox live and playstation online.

Dragon Master Luigi

Smash Apprentice
U can play Smash Bros Online using Project64k, but nah

I wouldn't really care if Brawl had no online WIFI mode, its just like buying Melee on the Gamecube to me... It would be cool if they confirmed it in the next month or 2 though(as an update)...

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
the only reason i dont like the 64k smash bros online is because i dont like the controls. to me super smash wasnt meant to be played on the computer at all and it is much harder without that joysick.

Amurai

Smash Rookie
In a game that depends so much on instantaneous frames, lag ensures that in person tournaments will reign supreme.

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
that and in person tornaments are easier to control because they go there and they cant make some lame excuse like "i didnt know what day it was"

Dacvak

Smash Ace
This may be the dumbest topic I've ever read on the Smash Boards. Seriously, with all of my heart, I request this topic be closed.

First off, you all will buy Brawl either way. That will not affect your purchase, trust me.

And like Buzz said, if online mode is your deciding factor, then you need to get the hell up out of this forum. Try GameFaqs, it's probably much more suited for you.

~Dac

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
the only thing i dont want to see is if online gets added and all of a sudden person tornaments are not around for brawl because that would cause so many arguments over unfair matches and lag complaints

lollerskater

Smash Cadet
I'm not getting my hopes up for Online Brawl at all. Seriously, I took one match on Mario Strikers Charged online and it was incredibly lagtastic. I couldn't even play defense, yet alone move my player without having the opponent jump 7 feet forward. He suddenly jumps 40 feet to the middle of the goal and score? WTF?.
You know... there's actually a move in the game that lets you teleport into the goal. When people lag in Mario Strikers, they don't jump around randomly like in some other online games; lag in Strikers usually takes the form of input delay and possibly game stuttering/pausing if it's really bad. Personally, my experience with Mario Strikers online has been great. 85% of matches are perfectly playable without hampering my ability to play skillfully at all.

When it comes to Smash Bros online, I think it would be great even if the lag doesn't let you use 100% of your skill. I'm sure that they can make the online run well enough so that the better player would still win 90% of the time. Another thing they could do is make it so that lag appears in a form that makes it so that one player still isn't given an advantage over another. For example, the game could slow down when lag occurs, meaning that the playing field is still equal.

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
slowing it down for both people would even it out, but it would still cause many more complaints than it would help people

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
im sure lag wont even be that much of a problem, maybe for 2v2's but 1v1's im sure the lag will be at a minimum. cmon only 2 wii's beleive in nintendo

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
yea since it is 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 the lag shouldnt be to bad specially if there are more no item fans. I am not against brawl online im just saying i would rather have offline than tons and tons of lag

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather play my friends then someone across the globe. I'd rather have a tournament at my local gameshop then have a tournament online. Lets just say I'd rather play Brawl with people that is in a 5m radius of me then play someone online. People who wounldt buy Brawl if it has no online should get off their couch and go to a tournament and will find it is 10x more fun.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Online will be a joke.

The difference between an intermediate and advanced smash player is fractions of a second divided thousands of times over a match.

There is no way that an environment can be propagated online that will allow for real competitive play. The lag would be insurmountable. I think online will be a complete waste of time. I'd rather they spent that time adding new features instead, since the online component is doomed to failure as far as i'm concerned.
I back your point and am also concerned. Though we should all reserve optomism for it at least being fun, if it happens :)

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
I agree with yall for the most part, but it seems that one main argument against online (against online??) seems to be that you'd rather play your friends.... well freaking DUH. Online can fill in those times when (like I said earlier) you need to hone a certain combo or try out a new character, or times when you can't sleep at 4 in the morning and need a quick fix.

It's almost as if some people are saying they'll have to choose between online or offline... why not just enjoy each in their respective places?

iMichael

Smash Lord
Either way Brawl is going to be a good game...ill buy it with online or no online....if it has no online oh well....this isnt the last smash bros game....so ill live

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'll buy it. I mean, so what if it has no online? it still has the awesome Subspace Emissary that needs to be played, and you've got other things to try out, including Ike, and the final smash stuff.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I back your point and am also concerned. Though we should all reserve optomism for it at least being fun, if it happens :)
>.<

If you're backing his point, it shows how far you've fallen...or...something like that. Go back and read MookieRah's reply.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I reserved Brawl 4 days ago. If it has online, sweet. If it doesn't, I'll still buy it but I'll be disappointed.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I remember when games were suposed to be fun and not competative.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Brawl will be awesome, online or not.

But this game is just SCREAMING to be online. Not having online would be extremely lame, no matter how you slice it. Let's hope Nintendo has given Sakurai all the time he needs to include this feature.

Kirbinater

Smash Rookie
I'd like for this game to be online, but it isn't something I HAVE to have in particular.

Kirbinater

Smash Rookie
I also forgot to mention that I'd buy Brawl online or not, but I'm trying to say is that would any of really ditch this game simply because of the lack of one feature when we have to wait 4 more months to just to play it?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I also forgot to mention that I'd buy Brawl online or not, but I'm trying to say is that would any of really ditch this game simply because of the lack of one feature when we have to wait 4 more months to just to play it?
I wouldn't. To me, that would be ridiculous.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I agree with the overall consensus that I would by it regardless.

If I could make a point though, while online gaming would be a blast. It would miss something really special. The overall experience of getting together and having fun playing video games. I remember staying up till 5 in the morning with my friends playing Melee. Then we got into LAN gaming so we would stay up till 5 in the morning on our computers playing Battlefront II or Battle for Middle Earth. Hyped up on sugar, no sleep, and video games. As well, the energy you feel at tournaments can be felt at online gaming.

While I do like online gaming, I think SSBB would be a much better game expeirnced at a friends house while hyped up on sugar or at a tournament.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
To TOPIC CREATOR:

Online will be a joke, anyone that plays competitive fighters (obviously smash included) knows that lag ***** matches, and guess what, there will always be lag no matter what the connection is. It doesnt matter if you (just an example) go ahead and beat Ken, or KDJ, or PC, or whatever online, it wont mean **** till u beat em at a tournament so why the hell are people so obsessed about playing online? Yes it will be fun, but THATS IT, you wont prove **** so why bother so much about it?

Brawl will be just like melee in that sense... if you want to prove youre good go to a tournament and place, if you want to get real practice in find a crew or just some friends to play with and practice with them.

Now im not saying im anti online... but probably i wont even play it since i dont have wifi or the broadband adaptor.... nor i care for them that much. And even if i do, ill probably play all stages and items on and ****, because if i play on competitive settings then i play seriously and i play to win, and i cant play to win in an enviorment that is not rightfor doing so.

Itll be worse than playing in HDTVs... and hdtvs are banned for tournys exactly for the lag reasoning.

I think itd be so much better if the time they are spending on making Brawl online was spent on more characters/stages/making Zelda and Peach GODESS tiers :) :) :) :) :)

Wreked

Smash Lord
To TOPIC CREATOR:

Online will be a joke, anyone that plays competitive fighters (obviously smash included) knows that lag ***** matches, and guess what, there will always be lag no matter what the connection is. It doesnt matter if you (just an example) go ahead and beat Ken, or KDJ, or PC, or whatever online, it wont mean **** till u beat em at a tournament so why the hell are people so obsessed about playing online? Yes it will be fun, but THATS IT, you wont prove **** so why bother so much about it?

Brawl will be just like melee in that sense... if you want to prove youre good go to a tournament and place, if you want to get real practice in find a crew or just some friends to play with and practice with them.

Now im not saying im anti online... but probably i wont even play it since i dont have wifi or the broadband adaptor.... nor i care for them that much. And even if i do, ill probably play all stages and items on and ****, because if i play on competitive settings then i play seriously and i play to win, and i cant play to win in an enviorment that is not rightfor doing so.

Itll be worse than playing in HDTVs... and hdtvs are banned for tournys exactly for the lag reasoning.

I think itd be so much better if the time they are spending on making Brawl online was spent on more characters/stages/making Zelda and Peach GODESS tiers :) :) :) :) :)
I'm not a competitve smash player at all. And i'll admit, I kind of suck. Mainly because I haven't played in about two years. So online for me is going to be fun. That's it. You won't find my name on an online tournament on SWF. I'll certainly use online to get better. Mainly because none of my friends own a Wii. Most of them have Xboxs. And the friends who do have Wiis they aren't "hardcore" gamers. Most of them have Wii Play, Wii Sports and games like that.

So, lag i'm not afraid of it. I know there is going to be some. I don't care. Cause that one second, like somebody said before, will matter by winning. It won't for me. I play games for fun, not competitvely at all.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Nintendo would not suffer much of a hit if Brawl did not have online play. It is obvious that people who are online are going to demand online play because, well, they are online when they do it. I hate to break it to you people, but, like the competitive smash scene, you are the minority. The reason you don't hear much of the other side is the silent apathy toward the whole issue. The last statistic I heard was that 10% of Americans have broadband Internet. That was an old number, so I am sure it is much higher now, but even so, of those who have fast Internet, I bet only 1% have a screaming fast connection. The same applies to those who demand that Nintendo make a High Definition console. The last statistic I heard on this was that less than 15% of Americans even have an HD-capable TV. Why on earth would Nintendo market their products toward these pathetically small demographics??? I do believe that Sony and Microsoft chose that path.

Nintendo lives in the present while Sony and Microsoft try to live 10 years into the future. Obviously, Nintendo recognizes emerging markets and acts accordingly. For instance, even though not everyone has an amazing Internet connection, they had the decency to add WiFi to the Wii anyway to aid in the transition. We are so used to hearing the comments of those who use the Wii online because the Internet is where we dwell. Go talk to the many women, old men, etc. who recently got into gaming, and ask them how important online play is.

Regardless, I have a pretty good feeling that Brawl will be online anyway, so there isn't much reason to fret. Even so, the game will be freakin' amazing.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
I'd buy the game if it just had what we've been shown so far (including all the old stuff, of course >_>), but if there isn't online I'm going to be a bit disappointed. But overall, I can live without it, definitely.

Top Bottom