• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I think this beat is terrible

actually...the whole thing is kinda terrible. I'm really not feeling whatever Lupe is doing here. interesting flow, but not in a good way.
A lot of people hate it, apparently.

Personally I love it. It's not lupe's best but I love that beat a lot, even if it isn't your average lupe.

I've generally have pretty weird tastes though.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
I found the song to be quite dope, and I'm not even that big of a Lupe fan. He's got a lot to prove after Lasers.

A good idea executed well. That flow is very risky but he doesn't sacrifice the usual Lupe cleverness.

Lupe's always hit-or-miss with me though.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I liked the message, but didn't care for the song. I think I kinda see what he was trying to do, but it didn't hit the mark for me.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
but looking back a lot of their stuff is kinda skippable sadly
Agreed.

I feel like the digital age has altered my interpretation of music. I can choose from literally hundreds of albums, taking the best songs on each album. So now that's become a baseline, and I'm a musical elitist.

Yeah but that was off a classic (underground) hip hop album.
I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but I don't know what you're talking about.

I wouldn't call it a classic. It's deeply flawed, and shines particularly when One Be Lo is nutting all over the tracks. He (imo) most certainly has the highest peaks. That's notable, especially when one of the songs is an absurdly large posse cut.

I think it's easy to fall into an autopilot when you're listening to music, particularly if you're multi-tasking. You (in this case "you" is a proxy for "anyone and everyone") may not realize how much better his work on those songs is than the rest of the album.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I was chilling with this girl listening to music and we started messing around and **** and as we got really into it Eminem's "Kim" came on my mp3 shuffle. It was really awkward. we didn't stop or anything but still, that is pretty much the worst possible song to come on when I'm trying to get my bone on with a chicky. It's very weird trying to get a girl off while "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO LOVE ME, NOW BLEED ***** BLEEEEEED. BLEEED ***** BLEED. BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!" is blaring in your ears

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
In love with this song right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtGsreLCXw

Wordsworth's verse is sooooooooooooooo good.

Revive or ruin, my theories of mics
Sony or Aiwa, black or white, I fit in all stereotypes
Search for a cast to plot, I make you a laughin' stock
So shook, I could walk a half a block and feel the aftershocks
Rain of acid drops, seek some help
Now don't rewind, get it the first time,
Shouldn't have to repeat myself

And Jane Doe's verse is my favorite verse from any female emcee, Lauryn Hill excluded.

Excuse me, just ate another emcee. Sometimes that just how it be.

The beat makes me giddy like a school girl on a snow day.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I was chilling with this girl listening to music and we started messing around and **** and as we got really into it Eminem's "Kim" came on my mp3 shuffle. It was really awkward. we didn't stop or anything but still, that is pretty much the worst possible song to come on when I'm trying to get my bone on with a chicky. It's very weird trying to get a girl off while "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO LOVE ME, NOW BLEED ***** BLEEEEEED. BLEEED ***** BLEED. BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!" is blaring in your ears
Try having Zelda dubstep come on.. aka the mood annihilator aka oh god why.

here's the track for the curious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o691QJprdM&feature=channel&list=UL

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
only on smashboards people would still be talking about some Zelda song when a new Nas single was just posted

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I'm not gonna completely drop my convo for a song link idgaf if Nas himself made an account here just to post it here lol

that said I'll check it out now

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
"For my trapped in the 90's *****hs."

If only all MC's made tracks with that mindset. :(

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Sweet song.

Nas always comes off hypocritical to me, though, when he's throwing in random praises for marijuana. You lose "conscious" credibility with me. It's one thing to smoke it and another to praise it. It's an addictive, energy-draining, aura-harming drug just like any other. Odd to follow up "My religion is reefer" with some metaphysical science like "Nothing is figurative / I can wish it into existence."

Jane

Smash Hero
Aura harming? I'll give you energy draining, I'll EVEN give you addictive. But aura harming? The **** does that mean lmao

random side-pic

MBlaze

Smash Champion
What the hell is he talking about in general? Have it in moderation like anything else. Same thing like you could say someone is addicted to beer, no; he just has it in moderation. Actin like it's ****in crack. lol

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
But aura harming? The **** does that mean lmao
Brush up on your metaphysics, bruh.

What the hell is he talking about in general? Have it in moderation like anything else. Same thing like you could say someone is addicted to beer, no; he just has it in moderation. Actin like it's ****in crack. lol
You're ignorant.

--

J-Zone - Gimme, Gimme, Gimme featuring Masta Ace

If I had to name my top ten producers, J-Zone would make the list. His sound is signature. He eschews traditional hooks, opting for esoteric movie samples. And yes, he's even responsible for the scratches. Toss in Mr. Sittin' On Chrome rapping on one of J-Zone's best beats? Fap worthy.

Jane

Smash Hero
Brush up on your metaphysics, bruh.
i don't much care to learn, i just want to know what you meant by "marijuana is aura-harming."

J-Zone - Gimme, Gimme, Gimme featuring Masta Ace

If I had to name my top ten producers, J-Zone would make the list. His sound is signature. He eschews traditional hooks, opting for esoteric movie samples. And yes, he's even responsible for the scratches. Toss in Mr. Sittin' On Chrome rapping on one of J-Zone's best beats? Fap worthy.
mmm, gotta admit, the beat was quite nice. and masta ace was masta ace.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think it's kinda silly to call Nas a hypocrite for rapping about weed. I also wouldn't really call Nas a full on "conscious rapper" anyways. It's not like it's Immortal Technique here, where his entire image is built on the idea of his political and historical savvy and revolutionary imagery. Nas has tracks like Fried Chicken and Oochie Wally all over his discog. He's dipped his toes into both spectrums of hip hop.

Praising a hobby that he obviously really enjoys is not hypocritical, and it doesn't make him any more or less of a "conscious" rapper that he expresses enjoyment from things that you personally deem immoral or irreverent.

I suppose you could make a point, that in songs like "What goes Around" where he is putting drugs like coke and ecstasy on blast...but it's the height of ignorance to conflate ecstasy/coke with marijuana. And besides that, he puts stoners on blast in the same song as well.

Basically, if anything it is songs like "I Can" that are hypocritical of Nas.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Just popping in to say to make sure this debate about weed-related rapping to talking about the rapping, only. Moving on to talking about the effects of weed in general and/or using it personally is against the rules, so be careful.

That being said, I don't see how rapping about something he enjoys is hypocritical. If he actually was against marijuana outside of rapping then sure, but this is definitely not the case.

soap

Smash Hero
Boof, I was sure it was gonna be that Ephixa track, then I clicked the link.. Shiz had me rollin:)

I do not think it hypocritical in the least for the boy Nasir to praise Mary J. Blige

How was "I Can" hypocritical tho? It was corny and idealistic ya, but I don't see why he can't make that track. Half the song was about ancient civilizations and Africa anyway. He has always been on that Zulu Nation tip.

Anyways, been hyped for the album, haven't even heard the new single yet. / Been travelling

Pleasantly surprised listening to that Sene - BrooklynKnight album on the road. Interesting beats and flows throughout the whole project.

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885

So this came out yesterday. Opens with "Bonita Applebum". ill summer vibes, i was riding around town to this feelin good.

Top Bottom