• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The thing is '90s NY rap' wasn't one-dimensional drug/hustle talk.

O.C.

Organized Konfusion.

Gang Starr.

Jeru the Damaja.

C.L. Smooth.

Lord Finesse.

De La Soul.

Digable Planets.

Until we see the variety of subject matter and sonic landscapes that was prevalent in that decade, all the talk of "he's takin' it back to the nineties!" is marketing juice.

Examples of artists who actually have taken it back to the '90s (while simultaneously pushing hip-hop forward):

Time Machine.

J-Zone.

Ugly Duckling.

Sha Stimuli.

Wise Intelligent.

Jurassic 5.
See, but you're showing the very unmarketable side of 90s rap.
Yes I know 90s rap isn't one dimensional. I'm not that stupid. But most of the people actually making some noise (aka not underground which btw I don't really **** with anymore underground music got boring) are trying to bring back Memphis Underground (Raider Klan) or Houston Trill (ASAP) and I saw nobody hitting the 90s NY RAP (not hiphop) right, and Joey Fatt$ hit it right imo.

All I was sayin.

Though nobodies takin it back to like Bootcamp Clik or that murder 90s rap but I'm actually getting bored of people trying to bring **** back.

*****s need to come up with their own ****.

Linguini

Smash Master
Raider Klan is pretty ****in underground dude......by no means mainstream or even relevant to your average rap listener.

ASAP is technically mainstream but still have that underground creative appeal. I just listen to good music in general, don't really segment underground from everything else.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
He's one of the weaker West Coast rappers imo.

I love West Coast hip-hop. (It's really just "Cali" hip-hop.) Lyricism? Quannum Projects. Archetypal laid-back Fresh Coast sound? Time Machine, Ugly Duckling, Mission:. Classic? The Pharcyde or Blackalicious. Angry black man? The Coup, Kam. The most diverse scene in hip-hop, and that's not even mentioning Flying Lotus/Yay Area/G-funk/gangsta.

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
blu>

oh and I just remembered, all stan aside but did someone in this thread put Elzhi over Lupe as far as lyrics/spittin?

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Lu >>>>> Elzhi

When Elzhi can come up with verses like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPUWoxTv9k

Truthfully I have trouble with second verses
'Cause the first one be so intimidating
It be bullyin' pickin' on it instigating
Pointin' out all the second one's limitations like,
You ain't nothin' but an imitation like
bits of bacon then he gets the chorus and the beat to get together
Then they all gang up on 'em and get to hatin'
But then around that 8th bar he tires of it
so they conspire and commiserate
and then he finds his inspiration
To spar, he takes a few seconds of Judo lessons
Gets back on beat, then punches the guitar
They stand in awe like,
When did you write that?

We can talk.

Enemy of the State is better than 99% of rappers' entire career, Elzhi included.

--

On another note, I am really feeling The Last Emperor's verse on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDVs8ixHnUg

Really fun to listen to after reading Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras and the Crack Cocaine Explosion by Gary Webb.

soap

Smash Hero
Well I don't have any particular verse in mind, more of a particular feeling I get listening to Elzhi spit, but I'll try to pick out some of my favorite verses next week.

Although I will say I really did not pay attention to the lyricism on Enemy Of The State because I did not enjoy the production or his flows on that project.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
-shrugs- Genius isn't for everyone. Using Radiohead on Enemy of the State was brilliant. The One was, for my money, the best beat on the Slaughterhouse album. That beat is CRACK, dude. And then Clipse? Drake?

Some of the songs were wack but Enemy of the State, Turnt Up, Fireman, Say Something, The One, and Back by Popular Demand are superb. I thought he embarassed the ish out of the rappers who originally rocked those beats.

Elzhi disappoints me because he's trying to be something he's not. He's not some thug street rapper. He needs to stop associating with cornballs like Royce and Guilty Simpson just because they're all from the same state/city.

He's really talented but I always come away from his albums disappointed. Same thing with Black Milk. It's like they can't make up their mind: artistic integrity or monkey see monkey do? Even Elzhi's "creative" songs like Colors and Guessing Game seem forced. Papoose and even Saigon (The Letter P featuring Kool G Rap) did that kind of **** a long time ago. It comes off gimmicky imo.

soap

Smash Hero
Yoga Flame is one of the tracks I did like on there, but I don't see the need to be comparing it to the original.

I like Lil Wayne's Fireman too. (pause)

But really tho, totally different.

soap

Smash Hero

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Damn, hit with the last page ignore.
That **** hurt...
Anyway.

Nice.
Pick a better beat for the next drop though v_v

Not bad. I'd suggest a more challenging beat next time.
:O Agreed.

This is how to be creative without being corny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouUtfLTjJYc
Damn this song.
Album favorite

woww....

saw this on reddit, kanye doing the carlton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN2bkYugcCs
That was beautiful~

dope

also dope

I've been in love with this mashup for like a year:
Black Thought, Common, Mos - Hurricane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XGyF0vYPJs

Makes me wanna watch the movie. Anybody ever seen it?
That was such a great mashup~
soap always with the good taste in music .-.

Jane

Smash Hero
that was pleasant. i didnt really like kendrick's voice cracking throughout the track though, lol.

http://soundcloud.com/john-average/vinyl-prod-doom

Let me know what you think plss.

P.S-
Ya'll ever peeped this ***** named ANTHM?

kinda nice...
Damn, hit with the last page ignore.
That **** hurt...
Anyway.
i was never a big fan of this beat, but you just keep improving so overall it was nice. lots of mid-verse flow switchups which i value so highly. whens the next project coming?

i enjoyed the beat, even if it was slightly lower quality from the original. trap style beats are supposed to be simple and fun. but anyways, i was a little disappointed when you ended it, because i was so sure you were gonna keep flowing off of that "when i be kickin it with rock lee" bit. good stuff as always.

man, i love 80's pop music. thank god for vice city, otherwise i probably would have never given the genre a chance.

saw this on reddit, kanye doing the carlton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN2bkYugcCs
yay more 80s music.

This is how to be creative without being corny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouUtfLTjJYc
onebelo is so good and i cant believe i've never checked his solo stuff. definitely on the to-do list.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
that was pleasant. i didnt really like kendrick's voice cracking throughout the track though, lol.
I thought his voice made it way more visceral. I'm so thankful this thread acquainted me with Kendrick lol. /lurk

powerful track, love it

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
It was kinda boring when I tried to listen to em. You might have better luck.
He's fallen off. S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M. and S.T.I.L.L.B.O.R.N. are borderline classics. Hardly need to bother with the rest of his catalogue.

I also like his performances on Honest Expression, The KGB and Reality Check from his Binary Star days.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Thanks for the feedback. I'm picking beats that I feel will get me a decent amount of views.
It's a weekly thing I started it's called 32 thursdays. I drop 32 Bars every Thursdays.
I did have a lil more to say...but that was 32 so I have to stop. I got another coming soon...
I'm doin Industry beats and also Originals...

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I also like his performances on Honest Expression, The KGB and Reality Check from his Binary Star days.
Yeah but that was off a classic (underground) hip hop album. by the way, did they ever come out with a second album? I know they hooked back up after their falling out but I never heard if the actually came out with another album.

Top Bottom