• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
Frank Ocean will continue to be an irrelevant dude to me, was before the gay thing and still is.
I usually don't tell people that they ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LISTEN TO SOMEBODY. But.... YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LISTEN TO FRANK OCEAN!!!!

a couple days ago he publicly stated that he is bisexual. he has left clues in his songs before, like in oldie: "i'm high and i'm bi, wait i mean i'm straight."

edit- oh, thats what you were saying, i think. idk you never stated wtf you were talking about exactly lol
I always thought the Oldie line was just a B/s line that he throws in because y'know he isn't really a rapper.

I don't really know why women complain, though. I mean, aside from religious reasons, i don't really know why they'd have a problem with a male singer saying 'he' instead of 'she'. I still like his music. Just don't understand all the backlash when nobody has a problem with any woman being bisexual.
Lol, this lady called in to the radio station and said she wouldn't listen to Frank Ocean because Thinking About You is about a guy. The radio host asked her if she was gay and she hung up.

Thought I commented on this before? I thought/think it's ***.
I don't think I posted this one before.

you should be an american idol judge
Lol Suspect.

Lol, nah. I don't say what I say for shock appeal. Them dudes just need to iron out their flows; **** isn't smooth in any sense of the word.

I shine in december.....that's when it snow - I hate this line.

Become the type of rapper to rap about just how i got....here. - I hate this line....so much. Like, I had to stop what I was doing just to hate this line with my whole capacity
Lol, I had the best verse by far. People kept saying Trivia (1st verse) had the best verse. But my verse always goes over everybodies heads. That's why I dumbed it down for 2 seconds then said sorry Trigga can't do that. But please more criticisim like this is greatly appreciated.

I missed too much in this thread...
You ain't the only one. Ever since they banned Kingdom Come **** done changed.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I downloaded that 855 freestyle mixtape Lil B put out. Then immediately after, I downloaded the Rich After Taxes mixtape he put out the other day.

I....think I have a problem....

I really recommend Rich After Taxes though if you're at all interested in Lil B without the gimmicks. He's really stepped up his game in 2012 with several really solid serious tapes. I'm not as interested in the gimmicky b&tch mob albums like #1 B*tch but albums like Trapped in Basedworld and Basedprint 2 are really really good.

Jane

Smash Hero
so, i had another one of my crazy dreams that i remember pretty vividly. i'm not gonna write it all out for you guys, but basically what happened is that i was in albuquerque. except this albuquerque was a coastal city next to the ocean, and it was so ****ing beautiful. a bunch of shenanigans happened afterwards like sticking ferrets in a microwave because i felt it would be relaxing for them, but then i forgot about them so they were in there for like an hour. thankfully my dream mind would not allow ferret death so when i took them out they were just really drained of energy and panting. dont think i'm somehow into animal torture or anything though, ferrets are like my second favorite animal, i would never hurt a ferret haha. but anyways, like always i wake up right after the opportunity to have sex arises. it was still a really fun dream though.

but more importantly, i want to share a song (and its actually just the beat which i want you to pay attention to) which i feel describes my dream perfectly. right when i woke up, this beat was stuck in my head.

kendrick lamar - trip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REobv3J3OqU

again, the actual lyrics dont have a connection to my dream, it was just the beat which reminds me of the happenings of the dream. unfortunately there is not instrumental version which i could find.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
man, everytime I listen to Takeover I HAVE to listen to Ether right after

then whenever I listen to Ether, I HAVE to listen to Renegade right after. I can't listen to any one of those songs without the other two xD

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
One of the greatest pleasures in my life has been experiencing some of my favorite rappers kill some of their favorite beats.

I love it when a bigger name artist made a name for the song and then this underground emcee just comes in and ruins any memory of anyone else ever rapping over the beat.

One of my favorite songs of this ilk is Apathy - Rappers R.N. Dainja.

No offense to Emilio Lopez but you can shut the song off after Apathy's verse. It's simply an impossible-to-follow-up verse:

I been official since I was sitting in the fetal position
I'm lethal when spitting, a genius getting people to listen
It's deeper than beef and the dissing, I'ma keep the tradition
Of speaking with wisdom, regardless if it's peace or it's friction
The beat's an addiction, it seeps in my system, it's keeping me living
Whether it's freezing or hotter than cooking ki's in the kitchen
You've seen what I get in, come through the speaker and hit 'em
Until they screaming and twitching, like I was seizure inflicted
Now my rhymes analyzed by police with suspicion, release my description
They try to catch me in the street while I'm slipping
They roll up on me, armed to their teeth with their ammunition
But release me when they find a mic's the only heat that I'm gripping
Prophets and philosophers have seen me in visions
And agree he's arisen, like Caesar or Jesus to give them precision with living
With everything from freaking with women to beating the victim
To teaching that biting speech is forbidden

RAPPERS ARE IN DAINJA!!!!!

What marvelous breath control! Goddamn! WHEN DOES HE BREATHE?! How many takes in the booth do you think that took?

clowsui

Smash Legend
channel orange is worse than nostalgia/ultra

production on cO is def better than n/u but lyrically speaking i don't think the "killers" on cO are better than n/u (they might be equal)

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Charles Hamilton - But Me Made This Song

Really interesting beat from C-H-A-R. I mean that not just in a vacuum, but interesting for Charles. He's one of my favorite producers and while this isn't my favorite beat of his, it's a great backdrop. As far as song structure goes this is one of his stronger works.

I also like the mini-expose on the dark, homosexual, Satanic side of the industry:

So many of my foes that flow are so gay
They wont go away till I throw em some plague
Which is far from acceptable,
hard to be professional when all your coworkers still hard addressing you
ladies I feel you, you gotta see this ****
to be the man in this business you gotta be a *****
and I dont see a reason to be lying for a buck cause some label ***** want to see the line
Lateef the Truth Speaker - The Quickening

Another masterpiece of flow and the coalescence of song-writing.

Verse 1:

See, I'm gon' be alright, live my life as long as I'm alive
I ride on five-eighty, but I'm not an eighty-fiver
Usually exit high enough to fly like Egyptian gliders
Bringing the message to the black man like Elijah
Honourable, did I mention, ain't no dissent amongst the strivers
No tension or fights, there just be lessons in life
I'm a subscriber to the Call that's Final

The wordplay (although it's really more like soundplay) on this is really cool. It's nice and easy but he's letting you know from the start that this is merely the beginning of a steep ride. I'm not sure what an eighty-fiver is, but I'm almost positive 580 is an interstate up by Oakland/San Francisco.

Fiend for the knowledge like my DJ fiends for vinyl
Hold the microphone like a habitual user like winos
Clutch wine bottles in my death grotto until my skin gets mottled
Don't expect to get coddled

The lyricism ramps up! Sick writing.

I wasn't raised in no family that got up to pops reading stocks
It was more like he was down the block at my uncles'
Rollin' up chops, gettin' off knocks, had the whole damn neigborhood on lock
Back before the game was hard, like rocks, yet lightweight like glocks
This **** don't stop

This is an example of rhyming about a tired subject in a unique way.

It's as frightening as the idea of a Million Black men marching on Washington
Might have been to some people
But then only if we're not equal
As shoulders get colder, individuals get older and bolder
I aint buyin' what they sold ya I'm a soldier

Thought I told ya I aint average I manage to move my mandible rapidly to scold ya
Got a powerfull rol(e)l as flamby as the average *****s plan B
Oughta be runnin **** in '96 ala Marcus Camby can be
Can he do it?
All night 'til the early morning breakadawn light
I flow like fluid out ya spicket, rough and wicked when I kick it yet

Joe Budden should take notes on how to throw in basketball references without sounding like a tool.

Chorus:

Righteous
And I might just never even quit
Because it's only to the will of Allah that I submit
Righteous
And I might just never ever quit
Because it's only to the will of Jah that I submit like that

A powerful hook. Love this ****! Gets me hype and inspired.

And in Verse 2 he starts dropping some serious science:

I'mma school that, degrees that keep the ****stem up
Victims for pickings, royal stickings (?), stick with poli-tricks
And politicians acting like they on a hell-bent mission
For the annihilation and decimation of the human nation
Brother, listen cause they're testing my faith
What I'm feeling is the wreckoning, the quickening
Expression of the manifestation of victory
Regardless of societies that sneak around in secrecy

You see it gets deep, deep as history
Creeps like time since 4000 BC, it's not a mystery
Lord knows, revealed to my soul and it shows
I spit flows that'll rock past the 21st century

They trying to keep it real, but compared to what
When there ain't even no backing to their passing buck
When you script from the material **** they get stuck
Trip, they gone slip, they're up the creek, in the clutch
All because they really just don't give a ****

Interesting how his father was security detail for the Black Panthers, the same party that was infiltrated and destroyed from within from (at least) the CIA (and potentially others; my knowledge here needs boning up on). I bet Lateef has seen some serious ****.

I love going back in my catalogue and stumbling on a song that talks about the mystery schools. AZ has a really good song about that on one of his albums, I think Doe or Die.

Jane

Smash Hero
One of my favorite songs of this ilk is Apathy - Rappers R.N. Dainja.
lol hey, i remember this song. i had a friend that was really into ap and this was one of his favorites. its true, apathy's verse is goddamn impeccable

love the beat, did charles actually produce this? i had no idea he made beats. the lyricism and flow are on point too, unfortunately the chorus is really subpar. like its legit bad. but eh, some might like it.

i'm glad you post some of the verse, cuz that dude is hard to understand ha. definitely one of those rappers you dont truly appreciate unless youre looking at the lyrics as you listen. how long has this cat been around?

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings

lol hey, i remember this song. i had a friend that was really into ap and this was one of his favorites. its true, apathy's verse is goddamn impeccable

:)

love the beat, did charles actually produce this? i had no idea he made beats. the lyricism and flow are on point too, unfortunately the chorus is really subpar. like its legit bad. but eh, some might like it.[/quote[

Yep. Charles Hamilton produces all of his music unless otherwise noted (such as the Dilla-inspired mixtape he did and a couple of other songs).

Yeah, he tries to sing too much. That song might be the most tolerable his singing ever gets, hahaha.

i'm glad you post some of the verse, cuz that dude is hard to understand ha. definitely one of those rappers you dont truly appreciate unless youre looking at the lyrics as you listen. how long has this cat been around?
Dunno, mid-90s? I think '96 or so. I've only heard a handful of songs from him (basically everything they put on the SoleSides collection), but apparently he still makes music.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I gotta listen to Channel Orange and Life is Good more before jumping up making a non-viable detailed opinion. I love and I want to purchase both though.

Although a few small things I'll leave. There are no bad tracks on Life is Good. Only one track I don't know why is on the album, it doesn't go well with the other stuff on the album. Channel Orange, I don't think a bad song has come off that album neither. I'm bumping both constantly though.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
like stay and trust a step above all the other songs
can understand the engineering and effort into some of these songs but sometimes nas beat selection is just redundant and truthfully terrible (end opinion)
good album though definetely can appreciate the conceptual thought into some of these songs
not a front to back type album but hey what is nowadays

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
As a NAS Stan, can you mofos at least pretend yall haven't heard the album yet. Makes it easier to avoid the album leaks -_-.

:phone:
My bad, lol. If it makes it any better, I'm DEFINITELY supporting Nas on this effort. Dude put in work.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Life is Good: 9/10

I ****ing hate Summer on Smash. The ONLY song that makes this album simply amazing.
I think that you wanna revise that...
I actually prefer to buy albums...

:phone:
you can still buy an album after you have heard it, y'know.
My bad, lol. If it makes it any better, I'm DEFINITELY supporting Nas on this effort. Dude put in work.
Same goes for Frank, I'm going to get both of their albums when I can.

Salaam Remi's production though... the increase in quality here is amazing.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
lol supporting as in bumping all day or strolling down to the record store to purchase it?
The second one, lol. I don't count the first as supporting the artist.
Well I've already been doing this. xD Strictly listening to these two unless I feel the need to listen to something else I guess. Buying the album has to count for something though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I enjoy Life is Good. A lot of it didn't blow me away but the high points are classic. I like No Intro, Reach Out, Stay the best

my biggest problem is the same problem I have with any Nas- the weak hooks and often mediocre beat selection. I love songs like Accidental Murderers but the hook is kinda lame.

oh yeah and Summer on Smash is especially terrible.

S1 The God

Feeding the streets since 1885
Glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand Summer on Smash. Really out of place and terrible.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It just makes no sense. It breaks the entire flow of the album. I kinda want to replace it on my playlist, lol

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I'm not gonna lie, Life is Good blew me away. **** was fantastic.

Summer on Smash is still <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
Ok so reading y'alls reviews I'm feeling a little skeptical about going to the store and buying Life Is Good. I'd rather not spend $10 on something I'll only listen through a few times and then play only half of the songs on it. In all honesty, because I have yet to hear it, is it a buy?

Also, we did a video for I Don't Like and a Based Freestyle which I hope you will enjoy. I will post it later and just tell me what you think of the first 3 verses and the Basedness of the freestyle. Please and thank you!

EDIT: Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zf-9RYpjmA&list=HL1342254171&feature=mh_lolz

Top Bottom