• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Savon

Smash Ace
We are using it BECAUSE of that song, but my goal is to avoid too many well known beats because people tend to compare it too much to the orignial which is generally a bad thing. That beat is just something that makes a strong opener, but is short enough for an intro.

Rather than, "Something like the Holocaust, Millions of our people lost", I plan on doing "Something like colombine, college professors man they blowin my mind". Something along those lines. I just need to get more secure with my delivery because I think my lyrics are fine.

Another thing I dislike is how a lot of rap songs today totally lack focus. I want all of my songs to really BE about something.

I plan on making a song about chilling at home bumming it up using this beat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRU86rSFB7w

Savon

Smash Ace
Ok good because I have a ****load of punchlines and straight up ***** **** that I wanna use in a song but was reluctant because I am as far from a gangsta as can be. We all have some inner ignant in us to put into a song.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
9? Too high, son. It's an 8 on it's best day. It's dope, but it's definitely got it's fair share of problems here and there.
You prolly right...gotta let this album marinate before passing judgement on it...especially since the production is the best thing about it as a whole...that wears out quick.

Imma try this again in like...a month, lmao.

I've yet to find an album that feels like a classic on release, then retains that feeling years later.

:phone:

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
It's all about balance. Channel your inner Nas.
Drop a classic album and never be recognized by the mainstream media except as an urban legend and someone not to emulate?

"If skills sold, truth be told, I'd prolly be, lyrically, Talib Kweli/ Truthfully, I wanna rhyme like Common Sense/ But I did five mil, I ain't been rhyming like Common since."

Drake, when asked about his relationship with J Cole (quote approximated): I think I'm more Jay Z and Cole is more Nas

Cole World's response: Don't call me Nas. I could be Jay.

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

edit -
I've yet to find an album that feels like a classic on release, then retains that feeling years later.
MBDTF. Everytime people hate on Ye, not saying you are, but I love droppin this on em XD.

"Critics say Ye fell off, how n* his last album was MBDTF."

VILLEMATIC

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
@Mat

My problems with the album:

- Kanye outperforming Jay on most of the tracks. Not really a problem but it shouldn't be happening.

-Jay sucks at social rapping....Its all black...I love US!

-How it completely goes from talking shit to some black righteous songs.

-Lack of Quotables. They were laying some pretty lackluster verses down.

-They only sounded fluid on one track and that's the shortest one on the album.

-The end of the beat on Who Gon Stop Me. Too much shit going on. Jay tried to stay on beat but it just wasn't working lol.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Drop a classic album and never be recognized by the mainstream media except as an urban legend and someone not to emulate?

"If skills sold, truth be told, I'd prolly be, lyrically, Talib Kweli/ Truthfully, I wanna rhyme like Common Sense/ But I did five mil, I ain't been rhyming like Common since."

Drake, when asked about his relationship with J Cole (quote approximated): I think I'm more Jay Z and Cole is more Nas

Cole World's response: Don't call me Nas. I could be Jay.

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Not talking about going about the business and **** like Nas as opposed to Jay or whoever the **** but instead the content and ****. Jay has more commercial success but Nas is a better rapper, but what you're talking about is a different discussion.

soap

Smash Hero
Blueprint.
Illmatic.
The Eminem Show.

Bam. ****in yo **** up.

:phone:
illmatic wasn't considered a classic on release. Just from what I read, I didn't actually listen to it till like 03' and I didn't even like it then. Didn't listen to too much complex hip hop then and I remember it sounding like a big wall of text to me.

I guess eminem show is classic em, only because that was his last good album imo.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I actually didn't like Illmatiic much at all the first couple times I listened to it.

I think MMLP is more classic and gamechanging than anything else Em has done, and I thought that the day I heard it.

and Chronic 2001.

and yeah, I think both College Dropout and MBDTF are like instant classics.

soap

Smash Hero
ya Illmatic grew on me slowly, I started to really feel the first half, and then I started to appreciate the second half more, and now I love the whole thing

but I can understand like why my lil sisters don't enjoy it.

It's got a really weird laid back vibe but at the same time it's kind of intense lyrically

chronic 2001 is still my ish

"whatever happened to just fallin in love with a ***** with a bus pass?"

MBlaze

Smash Champion
"I've yet to find an album that feels like a classic on release, then retains that feeling years later."

^^ To whoever said that, 3 words, Ready to Die.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
There's mad **** I still haven't listened to:

- WuTang
- Immortal Technique
- Chronic and Chronic 2001
- Canibus (his best 2 albums)

Can't think of much more right now, I should probably do that sometime.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
wait, you haven't listened to ANY Wu-tang?

whoaaaaa. you have a world of awesome ahead of you.....and a lot of crap too admittedly.

I actually haven't heard anything from Technique since Revolutionary Vol 2.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
I love the Wu. Got on them because of my love for DOOM though. I'm looking forward to DOOM x Ghost album more than Cole World actually. I have a feeling I simply won't like Immortal Technique, I haven't really delved deep into his discography, but I feel like he's the kind of MC to try to be TOO socially/politically conscious. The type to like shove concepts down someone's throat in EVERY song.

Jane

Smash Hero
@Mat

My problems with the album:

- Kanye outperforming Jay on most of the tracks. Not really a problem but it shouldn't be happening.

-Jay sucks at social rapping....Its all black...I love US!

-How it completely goes from talking shit to some black righteous songs.

-Lack of Quotables. They were laying some pretty lackluster verses down.

-They only sounded fluid on one track and that's the shortest one on the album.

-The end of the beat on Who Gon Stop Me. Too much shit going on. Jay tried to stay on beat but it just wasn't working lol.
.....this ***** serious?? xD

-naaaa. jay definitely has overall stronger verses.

-sucks at social rapping? the hell does that even mean? like commentary on social issues? i'll be right back with examples why this is completely wrong.

-because of ONE, KIND OF "black power" song... you're knocking points off..?

-lack of quotables? i'll also be back with those in a minute.

-well whether you think they sound fluid or not is up to you but i disagree.

-who gon stop me is actually one of my favorite jay verses on the album.

yeah i'll be right back with evidence and stuff.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
None of Tech's albums really compare to Revolutionary Vol. 2, in my opinion. I feel that the production was best on it, and it was more lyrically there than any of his other stuff, I actually can't think of a track off that album I didn't like. Revolutionary Vol. 1 was good, but it wasn't anything near its successor, which is no surprise really, since Volume 1 was written while he was incarcerated. The 3rd World was also pretty good, but again, not as good as Revolutionary Vol. 2 either.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing an album, but meh.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yo has anyone listened to Legendary Weapons (new Wu shit) yet? Also DOOM x Ghost will be siiiiiiiiiiick, been listening to all the Metal Fingers albums lately and some of DOOM's beats are just amazing.

soap

Smash Hero
Go

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATSKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Watsky. dude from "white kid raps fast" he just dropped a mixtape. One of my friends really likes him. His voice kinda annoys me after a while.
I love the Wu. Got on them because of my love for DOOM though. I'm looking forward to DOOM x Ghost album more than Cole World actually. I have a feeling I simply won't like Immortal Technique, I haven't really delved deep into his discography, but I feel like he's the kind of MC to try to be TOO socially/politically conscious. The type to like shove concepts down someone's throat in EVERY song.

I would definitely check out Rev. vol 2. I really like vol. 1 too, and I'm currently listening to 3rd world. He's pretty political, but it's interesting too listen to occasionally.

he has songs about other **** too. that one song with Jean Grae, one of my favorites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lYYc8Xtwkw

my favorite track from vol. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcYVKrBatj8

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Okay what's Wu Tangs best work? I hate having to listen to a lot of **** XD
Enter the 36 Chambers

then after that, the group collective albums are not so great, but there have been a lot of amazing solo efforts. the solo albums are basically wu-tang albums too because they all feature everyone from wu.

Ghostface's Fischscale and Supreme Clientele are hard classics

Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx (both parts) are pretty awesome unless you hate mafioso rap

GZA's Liquid Swords is beautiful

some songs to start out with:

C.R.E.A.M, Protect Ya Neck, Da Mystery of Chessboxin, Ice Cream, Daytona 500, Forever, Kiss the Ring, Campfire, Black Mozart, 16th Chamber

Top Bottom