• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Best rap album: Illmatic

Then - Liquid Swords, Ready To Die, and 36 Chambers.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I agree with Illmatic.

But for my Then part I would have - Ready to Die, Reasonable Doubt but then again I haven't heard the other 2 albums so I can't really speak other than opinion.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Enter the 36 Chambers

then after that, the group collective albums are not so great, but there have been a lot of amazing solo efforts. the solo albums are basically wu-tang albums too because they all feature everyone from wu.

Ghostface's Fischscale and Supreme Clientele are hard classics

Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx (both parts) are pretty awesome unless you hate mafioso rap

GZA's Liquid Swords is beautiful

some songs to start out with:

C.R.E.A.M, Protect Ya Neck, Da Mystery of Chessboxin, Ice Cream, Daytona 500, Forever, Kiss the Ring, Campfire, Black Mozart, 16th Chamber
Ironman bro, Ironman. Possibly Ghost's best. Liquid Swords is just amazing, it's one of the few albums where I have every song put on my iPod instead of some being unchecked.

Also Triumph is one of the best Wu songs if not the best.

Linguini

Smash Master
First time I heard illmatic must've been around 7th grade.....and I was immediately hooked. Everything about it is just flawless. Each beat offers something completely different and unique to the listener and nas flows immaculately over the backdrops. Even when I was 12 I liked nas so much because his lyrics weren't mindless and consisting of your standard "party raps". At that time the down south movement was at its height(laffy taffy was the hit song LOL).

For me illmatic is almost like one big song in itself. To this day I simply start from genesis and let the album play through, and I don't get bored whatsoever.

Immortal technique is pretty dope. haha, I found out about him from thomas tipman's triforce of power, my favorite combo video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDs-lPmIUec

Anyways, revolutionary vol 1 and 2 are both great albums and are about even in my book. 3rd world isn't as consistent but still worth listening to. Tech's subject matter does frustrate me at times but it is what it is. He's not the "greatest rapper evar", but he is still a dope mc and gets my respect.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
"If skills sold, truth be told, I'd prolly be, lyrically, Talib Kweli/ Truthfully, I wanna rhyme like Common Sense/ But I did five mil, I ain't been rhyming like Common since."
One of my favorite Jay lines...

If making money = "selling out", then screw it...

Moment of Clarity >>>

edit -

MBDTF. Everytime people hate on Ye, not saying you are, but I love droppin this on em XD.

"Critics say Ye fell off, how n* his last album was MBDTF."

VILLEMATIC
Imma let you guys in on a little secret; I didn't like MBDTF. I think that **** is terribly overhyped. I respect that he's trying new things at this point in his career and I like that his music shows growth.

But, outside the production, it wasn't much to me. Lyrically, it falls short. Flow and delivery...not amazing. Nothing on the album made me sit back and think "damn...this is real stuff."

I mean back around when every post in this thread was hyping it, Joe Budden's OLS3 came out. A song about relation****. Great song. Heartfelt, relatable music for me. I know I'm kind of a Budden stan, but even if it's not music heavy on the content, I can rock with a good beat, some lyrics, a good flow, and good delivery for days. MBDTF doesn't do it for me. Not knocking you guys for liking it, obviously...it's nowhere near as disturbing to me as the fixation with Lil'B. Just...everytime I hear somebody call it a classic, I cringe.

So yeah, disagree on that. I listen to Alby's mixtape much more than that, and his tape hasn't even been out that long. Eminem Show, Blueprint and Ready to Die were pretty good to me on release tho...guess I stand corrected.

:phone:

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I just listened to Illmatic today while watching the Bengals and Jets Preseason game. I like it. It made me wish music stayed how it was back then. It was really good music not aiming to be a hit record that has a good vibe to it. The beats aren't to complicated or watered down with over producing. It had a classy yet urban Vibe to it.

I'm trying to get out of the loop of only listening to my favorite Artist and Listen to different artist. It's really hard to break that cycle but I'm trying. I've only ever listened to Wayne, Bone Thugs and Fabolous hardcore since I was little. I have a variety of taste in music... but a lot of Hip Hop artist turn me off and it makes me not want to listen to there music. I'm super picky. But I don't wanna limit myself because I know there are a lot of good artist out there. I listen to main stream rappers and a few street rappers and such. I did listen to Jay Z heavy, I had his entire collection...but deleted it because of the Illumanati thing. Same thing with Kanye.

I do wanna listen to some good music though. It gives me inspiration. And while I was writing songs today, I realized I have recorded over 300 songs and I haven't put an official album together. So I'm working on my new first official Album which is Untitled at the moment and I'm trying to cater to all walks of life on it while staying 100% true to my roots. I remember someone asking Nate Dogg what advice do you have to Artist trying to make it... And he said "make music that you would wanna listen to". I never forget that.

I don't mean to rant cause I'm in the middle of watching Deathnote, but Long story short. I need some really good Artist to listen to, Any suggestions on Artist and Albums, that are a MUST listen to...?

Jane

Smash Hero
damn, i forgot about alby's tape. can someone link me right quickly?

and @ ybm, i'll drop you a short list of artists you should check out

kendrick lamar
skyzoo
murs
PRINCE EA (my favorite rapper)
termanology
crooked i
asher roth
j. cole

those are all relatively new artists, if you wanna find classic "must-listens", just google best hip hop albums or something like that. or i'm sure someone else in the thread can come up with a list.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
.....this ***** serious?? xD

-naaaa. jay definitely has overall stronger verses.

-sucks at social rapping? the hell does that even mean? like commentary on social issues? i'll be right back with examples why this is completely wrong.

-because of ONE, KIND OF "black power" song... you're knocking points off..?

-lack of quotables? i'll also be back with those in a minute.

-well whether you think they sound fluid or not is up to you but i disagree.

-who gon stop me is actually one of my favorite jay verses on the album.

yeah i'll be right back with evidence and stuff.
-No he doesn't.

-Yes, that nigga sucks at social raps.

- the fuck you mean "one kind of black power song"? You ain't hear that Sweet Baby Jesus song right after it?

-Yeah. it's lacking quotables. Kanye got like two lines. Same with Jay. There's 12 tracks on the album(cd version) and they laid lazy verses on most of them.

-I didn't say shit about the verse being bad. he just goes off beat.

......I see you ain't back yet, nigga.

soap

Smash Hero
Immortal technique is pretty dope. haha, I found out about him from thomas tipman's triforce of power, my favorite combo video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDs-lPmIUec
lmao same here. That vid got me not only into tech, but like, competitive smash. It was like, that, Soldier of Fortune, Wound of the Wind. Lol hella nostalgia

Imma let you guys in on a little secret; I didn't like MBDTF. I think that **** is terribly overhyped. I respect that he's trying new things at this point in his career and I like that his music shows growth.

But, outside the production, it wasn't much to me. Lyrically, it falls short. Flow and delivery...not amazing. Nothing on the album made me sit back and think "damn...this is real stuff."

I mean back around when every post in this thread was hyping it, Joe Budden's OLS3 came out. A song about relation****. Great song. Heartfelt, relatable music for me. I know I'm kind of a Budden stan, but even if it's not music heavy on the content, I can rock with a good beat, some lyrics, a good flow, and good delivery for days. MBDTF doesn't do it for me. Not knocking you guys for liking it, obviously...it's nowhere near as disturbing to me as the fixation with Lil'B. Just...everytime I hear somebody call it a classic, I cringe.

So yeah, disagree on that. I listen to Alby's mixtape much more than that, and his tape hasn't even been out that long. Eminem Show, Blueprint and Ready to Die were pretty good to me on release tho...guess I stand corrected.

Alby's mixtape is pretty dope I'm still enjoying it too. Alot of intricate wordplay.

But Kanye's album had alot of dope stuff. I wasn't into the entire thing, but Gorgeous had some interesting verses. Runaway/Blame game were kind of introspective in Kanye's own douchey kind of way. Which I can relate to at times. I'm still not sure if I wanna call it a classic either tho.

if u didn't even listen to lil b's album I wouldn't just randomly hate on him. It had solid production and a feel good vibe. Knowing that he takes his music semi-seriously lets me enjoy the goofy stuff he does too. As opposed to if someone only made joke music all the time I would not be as interested.

I just listened to Illmatic today while watching the Bengals and Jets Preseason game. I like it. It made me wish music stayed how it was back then. It was really good music not aiming to be a hit record that has a good vibe to it. The beats aren't to complicated or watered down with over producing. It had a classy yet urban Vibe to it.

I'm trying to get out of the loop of only listening to my favorite Artist and Listen to different artist. It's really hard to break that cycle but I'm trying. I've only ever listened to Wayne, Bone Thugs and Fabolous hardcore since I was little. I have a variety of taste in music... but a lot of Hip Hop artist turn me off and it makes me not want to listen to there music. I'm super picky. But I don't wanna limit myself because I know there are a lot of good artist out there. I listen to main stream rappers and a few street rappers and such. I did listen to Jay Z heavy, I had his entire collection...but deleted it because of the Illumanati thing. Same thing with Kanye.

I do wanna listen to some good music though. It gives me inspiration. And while I was writing songs today, I realized I have recorded over 300 songs and I haven't put an official album together. So I'm working on my new first official Album which is Untitled at the moment and I'm trying to cater to all walks of life on it while staying 100% true to my roots. I remember someone asking Nate Dogg what advice do you have to Artist trying to make it... And he said "make music that you would wanna listen to". I never forget that.

I don't mean to rant cause I'm in the middle of watching Deathnote, but Long story short. I need some really good Artist to listen to, Any suggestions on Artist and Albums, that are a MUST listen to...?
I don't really see the point of deleting artists that you have already enjoyed. Even if he is theoretically in the illuminati, does that make him not human. Does he not make enjoyable music with a different point of view on life.

reminds me of that lupe line about his jay z boycott cuz he "never prayed to God he prayed to Gotti." But I think Lupe realized that there are gray areas in regards to religion and music and that you can be more accepting of people with different views.

good artists... rotation right now is Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Pac, Blu, Nas, Mos.

K-dot like got me back into pac his music reminds me of him so much. He's got his own style and stuff, but alot of the themes and stories of his music are like Pac tributes. Like Keisha's song to Brenda's Got a Baby.

cover is kinda drab, but seems appropiate.

he doesn't have a dropout bear type figure to fall back on

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
if u didn't even listen to lil b's album I wouldn't just randomly hate on him. It had solid production and a feel good vibe. Knowing that he takes his music semi-seriously lets me enjoy the goofy stuff he does too. As opposed to if someone only made joke music all the time I would not be as interested.
Trust me, this isn't random hate. After my little bro, who usually has a really good ear, started playing a lot of Soulja Boy and Lil' B, I was inclined to listen to some more of their music. I've heard some of his albums, including I'm Gay. I let them soak in for awhile and tried to come at the music objectively. No dice.

However, LT's explanation for why it moves him is something that hasn't really occured to me before. I can understand and respect that, but I heavily doubt I can ever share that point of view about his music.

Jane

Smash Hero
Here ya gooooooo
thank you thank you!

-No he doesn't.

-Yes, that nigga sucks at social raps.

- the fuck you mean "one kind of black power song"? You ain't hear that Sweet Baby Jesus song right after it?

-Yeah. it's lacking quotables. Kanye got like two lines. Same with Jay. There's 12 tracks on the album(cd version) and they laid lazy verses on most of them.

-I didn't say shit about the verse being bad. he just goes off beat.

......I see you ain't back yet, nigga.
hahahah damn! i'll post that **** today. sorry i just got lazy xD

oh and born in america has nothing to do with black power, at all haha. like its just a stereotypical jay and ye song.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Anyone listen to Madvillian, Dr. Doom, Dr. Octagon, Cunninlynguists, or Dark Time Sunshine?

Top Bottom