• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Nah TML wasn't that good lyrically.. lol

Drake is getting better though, idk what you sayin. He started droppin **** after his album that was better than what was on his album. You're forgetting he's still a growing artist.
He's really not that good. I don't know what people see in him. Occasionally he flows well.

Imagine if we were growing up in the 90s or 80s (well maybe some people here grew up in the 90s, but not me really). There would be sooooo many good rappers, and Drake would completely pale in comparison. The only reason we consider him decent (or even "good") now is because of a lack of good competition.

Just IMO, of course. Maybe some people really do like him. But can you imagine liking him if you were the same age when Nas, Biggie, Tupac, and the Wu Tang Clan were at their prime? How about back in the days of Rakim, KRS-One, Big Dady Kane, and Slick Rick? Do we have anyone legendary like that nowadays? Not really.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
also, blu hasnt posted in nearly 25 posts, it must be a new record! lol
Someone check if he's alive.
Blu must have been kidnapped.
hahah i'mma kill you mofos :rocket:!!!! i was helping my friend move so i couldn't get on yesterday lol. i have to admit, that's like the first time the thread moved pretty **** quick and i didn't get to post anything :(. had to read through 3 pages of ****. fortunately, all i missed was.........Drake vs Immortal Technique???

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
'life's like a milk crate, nothing like a beach chair.''

That what you're referring to? I doubt it. I know Jada signed to Jay but don't know what happened after. Their relationship turn sour?

I'd love to see it though. Jada would eat him imo.

Niko45

Smash Master
Well it was already pretty fragile from the Sigel days. I have no idea how they are now although they never really did collab after that signing, still wondering what happened to that. Would be an amazing beef if it ever went down now, at least from an NY perspective. No question they're the top 2 dogs in NY currently.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Jada and Jay as top 2?.....i see banks somehow squeezing his way into there....he's pretty much the only reason g-unit has any buzz right now, aside from 50 twittering it up.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well it was already pretty fragile from the Sigel days. I have no idea how they are now although they never really did collab after that signing, still wondering what happened to that. Would be an amazing beef if it ever went down now, at least from an NY perspective. No question they're the top 2 dogs in NY currently.
Jada and Jay as top 2?.....i see banks somehow squeezing his way into there....he's pretty much the only reason g-unit has any buzz right now, aside from 50 twittering it up.
Not to mention Nas. He's still around, you know.

NY isn't really as live as it used to be.
True, but only because New York was the origin of recorded hip hop, so every early artist was from there. Now there's diversity. There's a lot of west coast and southern rap, and even some midwest rap.

Lol, it would be fun to see if we could find a major rapper from every state.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Not to mention Nas. He's still around, you know.

True, but only because New York was the origin of recorded hip hop, so every early artist was from there. Now there's diversity. There's a lot of west coast and southern rap, and even some midwest rap.

Lol, it would be fun to see if we could find a major rapper from every state.
Lmao @ the thought of finding a dope *** rapper from wyoming LOL

Niko45

Smash Master
Eh I don't think Nas has the kind of universal popularity in NY as Kiss or Jay do. At least for Kiss, if he gets in beef, it's like the whole hood is behind him. Jay is just Jay so it would just be interesting to see that battle. It's hard to describe but the kind of dedicated following that these guys have is just not even close to touched by somebody like Lloyd Banks. If Banks has a beef with somebody it's kinda whatever. I mean nobody really cares about that or feels any type of emotional investment in it. If Kiss is beefing with somebody it's kind of a big deal, at least in my experience.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Lmao @ the thought of finding a dope *** rapper from wyoming LOL
Yeah, Wyoming, Oregon, Utah, Montana, and Alaska would all be really hard, lol. Oh also some midwest states like Nebraska. :p

Jay is just Jay so it would just be interesting to see that battle.
If "Jay is just Jay", can we not say Nas is just Nas?

i want to broaden my horizons to international hip hop :[
Me too.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, Wyoming, Oregon, Utah, Montana, and Alaska would all be really hard, lol. Oh also some midwest states like Nebraska. :p

If "Jay is just Jay", can we not say Nas is just Nas?

Me too.
Well, we don't really have to hypothesize over what a Jay Vs. Nas beef would be like because they had one and it birthed some awesome tracks.

soap

Smash Hero
international....

I know some really good Israeli Hip hop. I like a few korean producers.

thats about as international as I get.

French + british rappers sound kinda weird to me

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The British scene is toooooooooooooooooo violent for my liking. Obviously there are exceptions but the majority of people's bars are about stabbing people, smoking weed and generally just running your block. People are over obsessed with repping their area, which we call 'ends' here. Like in London people get in mad beef and people die just because you're from West London and someone's from South or whatever. Joy. Even dudes I've known all my life that are spitting are spitting on that tip. Most of their lyrics are garbage.

The British scene isn't dominated by hip hop, but by grime, UK funky house and dubstep. I'm not into any of those genres heavily but funky house is mad in the clubs, gets you mad hype.

Some UK funky house

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxIa-f7Q1gI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS2QtS8TFHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1qKG1kJyKU

Funky just makes you want to dance whenever, wherever.

This tune is a classssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJTzjBd35wg

Some classic grime tracks

6 years old but the classic grime track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwfikgc6vs4&feature=fvst

Another classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3RjUX3UeQ&NR=1

Flirta D's noises >>>>>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ZgCkUt7wM&feature=related

You see what I mean by the violence.

Those three were quite old, here's something more recent and another example of typical grime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP6x_n5t9vM

Recently the UK scene has been dominated by 'skanking'. Skanking is basically dancing, the way the US has krumping and all that, but waaaaaaaaay less technical and everyone just joins in.

Eg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHClIHgnRI

Random tracks that have been big, past and present. NOTE, I AM NOT CO-SIGNING ANYYYYYY OF THESE (I like some lol) just giving you a flavour of what people are into over here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKDixFhvCAU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzvGKas5RsU&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK1SpAy_cR4

First dude spitting in the video below is basically the Jay of the UK scene as in he has been in the game maaaaaad long
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er5ke1nd3SE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Pc235tGt0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GibLntdLiJA

Some of you might have heard of Lowkey, he's toured with Technique I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yCeqM6W4iQ&feature=related

Here's his most recent track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU

Thought provoking material.

There's some good stuff like I said. I can't lie I like some grime from time to time.

But yeah in general UK music <<<<<

But London in general >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All this has got me hyped.

JERSEY!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Post this here so it doesn't get lost in the longest post ever.

Wiz spends $10k on weed a month loooooool.

Also Lloyd Banks Ft. Kanye West, Swizz Beatz, Ryan Leslie & Fabolous “Start It Up”

Meh.

Also,

To: LA Reid, Steve Bartels, Steve Gawley, Michael Seltzer, Joseph Borrino, Chris Hicks
Subject: PUT MY **** OUT!

Peace to all,

With all do respect to you all, Nas is NOBODY’s slave. This is not the 1800′s, respect me and I will respect you.

I won’t even tap dance around in an email, I will get right into it. People connect to the Artist @ the end of the day, they don’t connect with the executives. Honestly, nobody even cares what label puts out a great record, they care about who recorded it. Yet time and time again its the executives who always stand in the way of a creative artist’s dream and aspirations. You don’t help draw the truth from my deepest and most inner soul, you don’t even do a great job @ selling it. The #1 problem with DEF JAM is pretty simple and obvious, the executives think they are the stars. You aren’t…. not even close. As a matter of fact, you wish you were, but it didn’t work out so you took a desk job. To the consumer, I COME FIRST. Stop trying to deprive them! I have a fan base that dies for my music and a RAP label that doesn’t understand RAP. Pretty ****ed up situation

This isn’t the 90′s though. Beefing with record labels is so 15 years ago. @ this point I just need you all to be very clear where I stand and how I feel about “my label.” I could go on twitter or hot 97 tomorrow and get 100,000 protesters @ your building but I choose to walk my own path my own way because since day one I have been my own man. I did business with Tommy Mottola and Donnie Einer, two of the most psycho dudes this business ever created. I worked well with them for one major reason……. they believed in me. The didn’t give a **** about what any radio station or magazine said….those dudes had me.

Lost Tapes is a movement and a very important set up piece for my career as it stands. I started this over 5 years ago @ Columbia and nobody knew what it was or what it did but the label put it out as an LP and the fans went crazy for it and I single handlely built a new brand of rap albums. It’s smart and after 5 years it’s still a head of the game. This feels great and you not feeling what I’m feeling is disturbing. Don’t get in the way of my creativity. We are aligned with the stars here, this is a movement. There is a thing called KARMA that comes to haunt you when you tamper with the aligning stars. WE ARE GIVING THE PEOPLE EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT. Stop throwing dog **** on a MAGICAL moment.

You don’t get another Nas recording that doesn’t count against my deal….PERIOD! Keep your bull**** $200,000.00 fund. Open the REAL budget. This is a New York pioneers ALBUM, there ain’t many of us. I am ready to drop in the 4th quarter. You don’t even have **** coming out! Stop being your own worst enemy. Let’s get money!

-N.Jones

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well, we don't really have to hypothesize over what a Jay Vs. Nas beef would be like because they had one and it birthed some awesome tracks.
No, my quote was in response to someone who said Jada and Jay are the kings of New York ans said that Jada was king because the whole hood is behind him and Jay is king because "Jay is just Jay". And I'm asking why Nas isn't being considered by him as one of the "kings" of New York.

Pragmatic

Smash Journeyman
Post this here so it doesn't get lost in the longest post ever.

Wiz spends $10k on weed a month loooooool.

Also Lloyd Banks Ft. Kanye West, Swizz Beatz, Ryan Leslie & Fabolous “Start It Up”

Meh.

Also,

To: LA Reid, Steve Bartels, Steve Gawley, Michael Seltzer, Joseph Borrino, Chris Hicks

Peace to all,

With all do respect to you all, Nas is NOBODY’s slave. This is not the 1800′s, respect me and I will respect you.

I won’t even tap dance around in an email, I will get right into it. People connect to the Artist @ the end of the day, they don’t connect with the executives. Honestly, nobody even cares what label puts out a great record, they care about who recorded it. Yet time and time again its the executives who always stand in the way of a creative artist’s dream and aspirations. You don’t help draw the truth from my deepest and most inner soul, you don’t even do a great job @ selling it. The #1 problem with DEF JAM is pretty simple and obvious, the executives think they are the stars. You aren’t…. not even close. As a matter of fact, you wish you were, but it didn’t work out so you took a desk job. To the consumer, I COME FIRST. Stop trying to deprive them! I have a fan base that dies for my music and a RAP label that doesn’t understand RAP. Pretty ****ed up situation

This isn’t the 90′s though. Beefing with record labels is so 15 years ago. @ this point I just need you all to be very clear where I stand and how I feel about “my label.” I could go on twitter or hot 97 tomorrow and get 100,000 protesters @ your building but I choose to walk my own path my own way because since day one I have been my own man. I did business with Tommy Mottola and Donnie Einer, two of the most psycho dudes this business ever created. I worked well with them for one major reason……. they believed in me. The didn’t give a **** about what any radio station or magazine said….those dudes had me.

Lost Tapes is a movement and a very important set up piece for my career as it stands. I started this over 5 years ago @ Columbia and nobody knew what it was or what it did but the label put it out as an LP and the fans went crazy for it and I single handlely built a new brand of rap albums. It’s smart and after 5 years it’s still a head of the game. This feels great and you not feeling what I’m feeling is disturbing. Don’t get in the way of my creativity. We are aligned with the stars here, this is a movement. There is a thing called KARMA that comes to haunt you when you tamper with the aligning stars. WE ARE GIVING THE PEOPLE EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT. Stop throwing dog **** on a MAGICAL moment.

You don’t get another Nas recording that doesn’t count against my deal….PERIOD! Keep your bull**** $200,000.00 fund. Open the REAL budget. This is a New York pioneers ALBUM, there ain’t many of us. I am ready to drop in the 4th quarter. You don’t even have **** coming out! Stop being your own worst enemy. Let’s get money!

-N.Jones
I like this entire post.

Also, LOL at Wiz Khalifa smoking up $10,000 a month. Proper.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Mega Post
i'll go through these in a second.

Peace to all,

-N.Jones
Cheah.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
If we're talking all time, probably old school Ruff Ryders or Roc a Fella.

Top Bottom