• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
If I'm coming clean on how up on Nas and Jay I am I know Jay's entire catalogue and off-album work (as far as I know) but I only know Nas's stuff up to HH is Dead. You should post some of the newer Nas tracks (I gave up after HH is Dead) because if there's anything worthwhile I'm definitely down.
lol not gonna lie. i've had jay's stuff sitting on my computer for months and still haven't listened to all of it. just know that i'm not against a person having Jay-Z as their GOAT; he's at least a respectable choice. i'll post more links to recent nas tracks. these are the only ones that came to mind.

Queens Get The Money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoWX6i_7ZU

Surviving The Times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0T75uxpUtQ

Victory(ignore khaled in the beginning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-K4812NZHo

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
@ Niko - sorry for being blunt.

I'ma go in depth at some point but just to pick up on a point you made about Jay being consistent and not waivering on what he stands for.

Jay switched from the hustlin drug tip to the button up grown up and back again.

'are we hustlin or are we grown up, everytime I hear you you're changing your tone up.'

Nas does change in his music but it's more of a growth thing where he's finding himself as a person, just like people change outside of music. I think for an artist to stay the same throughout their career, and especially a career as long as Jay's then that would be representative of a lack of growth and honesty. The changes Jay has shown are often hypocritical. If Nas has flip flopped then so has Jay.

I'm not a Jay hater. RD and BA are amazing and I bump them on a regular basis. But his music today pales in comparison. I don't see Jay making music anymore for a love of the music.

Nas is hip hop. Jay's the industry.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
You don't get what I mean. Jay made his own way in the game, albeit with help from BIG and Big L, I'm not saying the industry made him. I'm saying what he has become is representative of the hip hop industry. He's all about the dollar, the entrepenuer aspect.

I'm not a business man... you know the rest lol.

Nas Is Like
One Mic
Undying Love
NY State Of Mind
Just A Moment
The Message

Is Jay really better than this dude?

But like 99 problems, PSA, encore, Dec 4th...ah man, I don't think I could ever pick between RD and Black album

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27gpfkZkwE
What did Jay say that was dope?

I hit you like bam, biggity bam, bam, biggity bam
Let me take a little breath…god ****

As soon as I step up, nah, whenever I'm in the, uh
Whatever I touch, whatever I clutch
You know I'm gonna end ya, uh
The ***** don't play, hey, the ***** don't play, hey
Haaahhh...here I come a-g-g-g-gain, run up up up in
*****z are duh-do-duckin I'm boo-boo-buckin, **** it I'm wild
But a boo boo boo bam, what you *****z gonna do to the man?
I see you brought your little crew… and?
I'm still comin with velocity, check it out
Jid-a, id-a, wid-I, zid-e, uh huh

It's a pity the way I'm ripping rugged rhythm through the city
Like dunnanna dunnanna di-di-dun dun ditty
I got rhythm, I, hit em with rhythm, I
Hit em and split em, I did em, I get rid of them guys
J-A, baby, baby please, gimme g's
Baby, baby, wit crazy ease
Watch Jay-Z get crazy G's

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I love all the attention this thread is getting...amazing...

I dunno where I'd sit in this Nas vs Jay debate since Em ****s on both of em anyway I see them both as in pretty equal standing on opposite sides of the fence. They influenced plenty, have shown growth in their music, and are skilled on the mic. They're both in everyone's top 5...both have classic albums...yet they have completely different styles.

It'd be extremely hard for me to choose...but if I really had to, I'd be leaning toward Nas. I give Jay all the respect in the world for the way that he's taken his career and consciously made it work for him, but I haven't liked a full Jay album since Black Album (American Gangster was close). Nas has been putting out good **** since HipHop is Dead.

I have both their Library of legends too...they have a ton of music between them.

THAT ASIDE, I want to go ahead and speak on Black Album vs RD...

Call this blind stannism or w/e u want, but I think Reasonable Doubt is a much better album. I'm a huge fan of lyricism and Reasonable Doubt is obviously the better album lyrically. If I had to pick which I'd want to hear live though?

Black Album all day obviously.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
So, who wants to help spam Atlantic Records facebook page telling them to release Lasers?

What are the chances of it working? Slim to none.

What is there to lose? Absolutely nothing.
I'm down. Lasers is gonna wait for me to die before it comes out the way things are going right now.

I have both their Library of legends too...they have a ton of music between them.

THAT ASIDE, I want to go ahead and speak on Black Album vs RD...

Call this blind stannism or w/e u want, but I think Reasonable Doubt is a much better album. I'm a huge fan of lyricism and Reasonable Doubt is obviously the better album lyrically. If I had to pick which I'd want to hear live though?

Black Album all day obviously.
I think, I have a bit to do with the contribution to the thread, since I'm on crutches and do nothing but sit on my *** these days.

But, yea word for word that sums it up for me. The lyrical ability he displays in Reasonable Doubt ****s on almost every other album ever released. Especially in this day and age.

But, If I wanna bump something tryna get hype for a football game I listen to Black Album.

soap

Smash Hero
I like blueprint 1 over black album

the rulers back, u don't know, heart of the city, renegade, song cry, never change.

there are some others i'm forgetting. I love the whole album.

jay has some of the best album intros. blueprint, the dynasty, american gangster

ahh. im gona make a mix of intros

i finally looked thru your list niko. good choices. Dynasty was under-rated

Niko45

Smash Master
You don't get what I mean. Jay made his own way in the game, albeit with help from BIG and Big L, I'm not saying the industry made him. I'm saying what he has become is representative of the hip hop industry. He's all about the dollar, the entrepenuer aspect.
What I would argue though is that the industry has become more representative of Jay-Z. He was rappin about hustlin since 96. The industry produced (punchline) hustler after (punchline) hustler for rap thereafter. So much went wrong with the music industry, but in the case of which came first, the industry or Jay-Z, it's clearly Jay-Z (you seem to be saying this too). I think they realized Jay was selling in a major way and pushed different versions of his style - which in turn caused an overall backlash on Jay-Z since the material became monotonous and despite originating it, people were sick of it or felt that he sold out or whatever. I notice you guys are VERY hard on Jay for the Kingdom Come - Present stuff and maybe I'm not hard enough on him (as far as I'm concerned Nas fell off way way earlier than Jay, I never really considered that could be a losing point for Jay).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5yCSYufeg <- Here's a good example of Jay doing a mainstream song and still displaying rap skills that few people can match. Jay's content doesn't really bother me (it's not all pop music) and who doesn't like pop music at all? I'm down for a song about *****es every now and again, and if it's gonna be a monster on the mic, even better? I don't feel like Nas has enough material that's just "fun".

And did I say Jay fell off in 05? I'm ********. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMh6oY9YbMA

What did Jay say that was dope?
He said I cause bowels to move when I'm creepin through your block with a thousand little dudes.

Edit: To whoever said it, I'm ready and willing to talk about how Eminem is also better than Nas.

Double Edit: This is my **** from Nas... do people know about this track? It feels like a top 5 Nas track to me easily. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmM4oGRzLVU

@Soap - I'm right there with you I love Blueprint as well. Those are his top 3 albums undoubtedly and its just personal preference from there I think. And yes! Jay has the best intros! Dynasty Intro can go at some people's entire careers lol. I also like the Hard Knock Life Intro, even though its Bleek instead of Jay, but Bleek kills it over the Premier beat.

Jane

Smash Hero
before i begin, i just wanna say my top 5 current mainstream artists, just for the lulz

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Luda
Em
Wayne
Fab
Ye

My problem with Drake is his voice is annoying and then any time he actually does drop a nice line he has to pause and go "UH" as if to say "yea I know that line was dope" and its just stfu, ur not that good.
it pisses me off when he does that too, but he doesnt do it EVERY time, so i can tolerate it.

Next up is Tyga, Gudda, Short Dawg or Millz from the Young Money camp...
lol naaa, MAYBE tyga. but the rest of young money aint going nowhere any time soon lmao.

The old school Lil Wayne went hard.

The funny thing is you say these are the songs that made you love Lil Wayne. I don't know if you noticed but Wayne doesn't make these songs anymore. What keeps you attracted to him still? Nostalgia?
i like new wayne 20 times better than i like pre-carter 2 wayne. no, make that 30 times :p

Wayne will end up as an above-average rapper. Lloyd Banks tier (bottom of that tier tho).
LOL no. wayne >>>>>>>>>> lloyd banks. both in lyrical skill, and recognition.

How about y'all do this.

Illmatic VS Reasonable Doubt.

That's tough.
this would be like choosing my mom over my dad. i could never ever do it (i know thats not such a hard choice for some other people lol)

Word.

I feel ya. I think I would choose Reasonable Doubt over Black Album though.
reasonable doubt >>> black album. easy for me. dont get me wrong black album is firee, but reasonable doubt is ****ing epic.

I dunno where I'd sit in this Nas vs Jay debate since Em ****s on both of em anyway I see them both as in pretty equal standing on opposite sides of the fence. They influenced plenty, have shown growth in their music, and are skilled on the mic. They're both in everyone's top 5...both have classic albums...yet they have completely different styles.

It'd be extremely hard for me to choose...but if I really had to, I'd be leaning toward Nas.
i agree with you completely on everything except your very last statement :) more on that later

I like blueprint 1 over black album

the rulers back, u don't know, heart of the city, renegade, song cry, never change.

there are some others i'm forgetting. I love the whole album.
lol, i actually like BP1 more than the black album too.

ANYWAYS, on this whole jay vs nas thing

i have to go with my boy jay. DONT GET ME WRONG NOW, i ****ing love nas to death. his music, his messages, his lyricism, the rap game would be totally different without him, obviously. but, im gonna spare you all the details since a lot has been said already and i doubt anyone wants to read more of the same ****. but this whole jay vs nas thing will just come down to your personal preferences and your own experiences. for me, jay is the overall better artist. and thats that. lol

Jane

Smash Hero
AND, about the whole "best rapper alive" bs

to quote our very own nas,

"put 10 emcees in a line and they outta alignment"

Niko45

Smash Master
Personally Wayne over Banks is an utter joke imo. I like both rappers but they are not on the same level.

You guys got me really thinking about Jay and Nas now so I wanted to further explain their stylistic differences.

If you remember on "Mr. Carter" at the end of the song Lil Wayne starts spitting part of an old Jay verse from Vol. 1 - "and I swear to everything, when I leave this Earth, it's gon' be on both feet, never knees in the dirt, you can try me phucker but when I squeeze it hurts".

I just remember hearing that and being like "****, Wayne just sounded better than I've ever heard him before." And that's just wayne spitting a very typical Jay verse. Jay's lyricism and poetic-ness is often really subtle and extremely underrated overall (Nas is considered the poet of the two).

Getting into Nas vs Getting into Jay-Z:

Nas is much easier to get into, because he attacks you in his raps. He's spitting too fast for you to not pay attention, so you pay attention and you love it and it's great. Jay is much more subtle. His rhymes are often filled with double meanings and hidden metaphors and it takes much longer to really get into Jay like that imo. You can listen to Jay casually, nod your head over some amazing Kanye beats behind him, without really listening to him. After the Xth spin, eventually it just hits you like "oh ****," and now you're wired to listen to Jay and you go back and listen to every Jay song and realize there was so much more going on in these songs than you originally thought. In that way he eventually establishes a deeper connection with his listener and there's often a level of profoundness (sometimes hidden in the shallowest sounding songs) that I think Nas never really achieves in his music.

Nas is fun to spit to try to keep up and there's a high you get when you do. Jay makes me think (while also being incredibly fun to spit).

Jane

Smash Hero
ive posted this song before but since me and niko are the only ones on team jay i feel like posting it again

the jaz and jay-z - the originators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1thvEtGM5M

Wait what?

New Wayne > Old Wayne?

Please explain...............
easy. old wayne was lyrically ******** and rhymed about stupid ****.

new wayne still raps about stupid ****, but hes just so clever, witty, subliminal, and slippery with his flow that it doesnt matter :)

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
No, I prefer Jay-Z to Nas.

But, I guess what I would base this off of is like 4 albums.

I've only heard Illmatic and then his big songs like One Mic and Hip Hop is Dead and Hero and Ether.

I've heard Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint 1 & 3, Black Album, Kingdom Come. I think those were all great albums, I don't know why people hate on Kingdom Come and American Gangster. But, based off of that I would give it to Jay. He seems more consistent in what he does. I can only think of Nas as a better lyricist but even then. He doesn't come at it with same swagger as Jay.

Jay just comes at everything with a Ready to Die attitude it doesn't matter. Nas from what I've read through yalls discussions seems to change to appease the listener.

No reference intended to Biggie.

EDIT: No, this is the illest Lil Wayne I've heard. The beginning verse anyways. He seems to kinda fall off at the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDpvavg96Jc

Jane

Smash Hero
yup, jay definitely wins in the swag department...

also jay has waaaay more tracks to dance to, and that counts for something. (especially for me haha)

Niko45

Smash Master
I totally agree about Kingdom Come. Definitely has like 4 or 5 tracks I still listen to occasionally (Beach Chair anybody?). American Gangster is the Jay album I've devoted the least amount of time to but I can still name a few solid ones on that - No Hook, Success, Ignorant ****, Blue Magic.

Edit: KC you should check Blueprint 2 that album is heavily underrated (stupid double albums have too much crap, but there's some amazing stuff on there).

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
No, it was gonna be on Carter 3. But, it leaked. That's why he made the Carter 3 Leak mixtape.

And, yea I'm trying to become a student of the game. I'm trying to get in as much Hip-Hop into my system as possible and share my opinions. That's why I really like this thread, cause I can talk about something I love with other people and they actually have some sort of knowledge. I'm listening to Common's Resurrection. After this, I'm probably gonna finish up Jay-Z albums. Then DL Nas's It Was Written and Stillmatic.

I'm the outcast of my friendship groups because I don't listen to Lil Wayne. Then when I tell them Wayne isn't the best they just tell me I'm a ******* but can't give me an explanation.

Niko45

Smash Master
I really liked Wayne's verse on "I made it."

Wayne is mediocre in the grand scheme of things imo, but he's pretty entertaining if you can seperate yourself from the dickriding or hating-in-response-to-the-dickriding.

soap

Smash Hero
i love tha block is hot. just the single, not the rest of the album lol.

500 degreez was booboo

carter 1 was legit. DJ manny fresh son

if u haven't listened all the way thru stillmatic. that is my favorite nas album personally. Starts strong, great intro, ether gets right to the point, got yourself a gun keeps it going, smokin switches the vibe up, you're da man i usually skip, rewind, one mic, dj premier on 2nd childhood. lol, the fact i can just list these shows how many times i've spun that.

It does get hazy after 2nd childhood. there is my country, what goes around.

ok now i gotta look it up

S l o X

Smash Champion
Ambitions freestyle was my favorite Weezy song and my first. I haven't heard it in over two years but I still know the entire song. (Got me into his old ****)

Someone post some Banks songs because I knew he had potential from his first single but haven't heard anything since.

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea I haven't seen anything posted so far that's ****in with the Ambitionz Freestyle imo. **** is raw. I'll post some Banks in a bit, but you gotta understand that Banks solo career is very...whatever. His nasty stuff is on the old G-Unit freestyles.

My Buddy (1st verse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlnAB-Eq88

Don't Push Me (2nd verse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgU1G_Bcff0

Die One Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P658TlEg4hU

We All Die One Day (2nd verse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVtqT7wjpYI

G-Unit (That's What's Up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-qnGHNs-4U

Victory Freestyle (2nd verse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcMrue0YVJw