• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i think banks would eat wayne alive in a battle or if they were on the same track. wayne's overrated but aight. every now and then, he'll drop of a verse that's not irritating to listen to. i like his guest appearances for some reason.

edit: wait. Eminem over Nas? Nah.

Niko45

Smash Master
lol that's even easier than Nas vs Jay, cause Nas and Em are more similar stylistically. Em is just clearly superior in just about all areas. Better rhyme schemes, better flow, better energy, better humor, Em can actually do dynamite hooks (best hook layer ever), Em can even sing. You'd really have to explain that one to me.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i'm not denying that a strong case could be made for eminem....i just don't see his influence a lot of mainstream artists, personally. can't really speak on underground...to many of those to go around

hold up. Em can sing? are you a stan?

maybe it's just me....but humor isn't really a big qualification when judging an artists skills. it's dave chappelle up there on the mic...

Niko45

Smash Master
Of course Em can sing. I can be your superman...your superman...your superman

Edit: Seriously, also Kill You beginning part and hook. He's no DMX or anything but he can and has sung effectively before, no?

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
He's influenced......

Royce da 5'9, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, J Cole, Asher Roth. That's all I can think of for now.

I love how he said Em can sing and now your accusing him of being gay lol.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Also to your humor edit.

With humor your more likely to connect to the listener. Which in turn gets them to listen to your deeper ****. That's why MMLP sold a bajillion copies.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Of course Em can sing. I can be your superman...your superman...your superman

Edit: Seriously, also Kill You beginning part and hook. He's no DMX or anything but he can and has sung effectively before, no?
well singing effectively is different from just being able to sing. i get your point on that...but him actually being able to sing....nah.
I love how he said Em can sing and now your accusing him of being gay lol.
....i didn't call him gay.....

a stan is pretty much a fanatic that thinks an artists can do no wrong....not a gay guy.

Niko45

Smash Master
lol N9NE I'm not gonna break down the whole dam freestyle for you. I wasn't even throwing that out there as the greatest Jay thing ever. Please don't put Joe Budden next to Jay...it's not a good idea lol. Joey is a one flow one delivery kinda guy with some lyrical talent and good connection with his listener. That's fine and all but he looks one dimensional next to the 90s rappers.

Edit: IamBlu3 as far as humor goes - its just one aspect of Eminem's game. He's not all jokes or dead serious (Nas is basically all dead serious). Again, Nas has versatility issues. Eminem can rage on the track or rap in the Ken Kaniff voice. Eminem's content is also pretty unique.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
The boy does have some unique content, but he needs to find his footing again. Like I said before, Recovery is down the right path, but he's still unsure of himself. Like, I'm glad that he acknowledged that he 1) wanted to beef with wayne and yeezy and 2) woulda got his *** whooped but that means the next album he won't have to admit that. I'm all for humbleness, but it's delivered in an awkward fashion lol.

Basically, since EM's been gone so long, he needs to put out albums that have encompassed the past 5 or so years, so he can get his **** to the present.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion

McCloud

...i don't think he would've got his *** whooped.... i mean it would've been stupid to do and would only please wayne haters/em stans but i don't think he'd have lyrically lost.
The man himself admits he would have, and that is good enough for me.

Also I really think people underestimate Wayne as a lyricist. He's got an uncanny knack for separating individual words and crafting lyrics from them.

I used this as an example the other day, say he took the word theologian

Theorizing like a theologian, theo like a huxtable, the o-g stackin bucks ya know, dollas on the table so hustlers stay and ball and haters wanna call but im sittin on a log, i am sh*ttin out some logs, long lyrics oh my god,

etc. It's some really good stream of consciousness rap, and it's unique to him. Though the homie does enjoy scatalogical references a bit much at times lmao

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I don't know what that means. I'm not really into underground tho.
i consider it masturbation whenever someone does something self-pleasing and feels special about it...like only liking an artists before they go mainstream. for some reason, people feel special when they listen to underground artists because no one has heard of them. i've met too many of these kinda guys smh.

McCloud

Yeah, I think they could have a pretty good verbal duel. It depends on the style you're looking for, and it's always going to be subjective. I respect Wayne as a musician and a lyricist, and I respect Eminem in much the same manner, and to hear Eminem say that he would get bodied by Wayne makes me respect both of them even more.

Again, it's not always about the technical prowess (in which Em has Wayne beat), but about the verse as a whole. I think Eminem now and in his hiatus definitely would have been bodied by Drought + Carter 3 Wayne, or any traditional Yeezy.

ninja'd by blu -

i consider it masturbation whenever someone does something self-pleasing and feels special about it...like only liking an artists before they go mainstream. for some reason, people feel special when they listen to underground artists because no one has heard of them. i've met too many of these kinda guys smh.
I agree, but I can understand where they came from. A hipster once told me that a lot of people feel connections with the underground because it feels more personal to them, and when an artist becomes famous, they feel like they lose that personal connection.

Personally I don't give a **** unless I *know* the artist personally. Why care so much about someone who doesn't know you exist? I love their music, their art, etc and their personalities may be humorous/enjoyable, but why care so much that someone got their eat on?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Em was just kissing *** imo. He knows it makes more sense and money to collab with these dudes.

Niko45

Smash Master
Oh definitely not. I just think it's funny to hear Jay on Big L stuff or Eminem on Infinite. I discovered all that stuff well after I was already fans of theirs. I think we're on the same page. Matter of fact, when people say Nas > Jay I get pretty worried they are underground anti-mainstream people (Nas is obviously mainstream but he's acceptable to undergrounders unlike Jay-Z who is the antichrist).

Underground in general to me is a lot of mediocre MCs complaining about the state of hip hop over snooze beats. Obviously there are some exceptions tho.

McCloud

Em was just kissing *** imo. He knows it makes more sense and money to collab with these dudes.
Do you realize the gravitas of what you're saying? You're saying that the Eminem we know and love because he's controversial and says what's on his mind and blazes his own trail has all of a sudden become an a**kisser and moneygrubber?

I'd much rather believe that Eminem is not the best rapper in the game than believe that he's a suckup.

edit - @blu the last verse I remember from when he was "on" was on Akon's Smack That. His guest features on Forever and Airplanes are dope, and some of his new songs are pretty good on Recovery. I don't like Not Afraid. We all know you're not afraid. Shut up and kill the beat.

edit -
Underground in general to me is a lot of mediocre MCs complaining about the state of hip hop over snooze beats. Obviously there are some exceptions tho.
Sometimes that's what it feels like to me too. That **** gets old quick. You can't complain too much, otherwise you sound out of date and whiny as ****. Looking at you, Ice T.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
"I can't help but feel that he is refering to hip-hop! As you read my break-down, please note that the comments in the ( ) are why I feel each line leads me to this belief!

Fresh to Def she is (Comes in all forms, from Doug E. Fresh / Fresh Prince to Def Jam artists)
From her steps to her sets she is (Found on "steps" stoops, stairwells, to "sets" concert sets, gang sets)
So death might not let me live (To deny or "kill" the culture would be to "kill" a part of himself)
Ya dig?
Fresh
Yes she is
Had a feeling
That it would be a day like this (A day of unease for his first time performing on the mic)
The orchestra in my mind ("orchestra" being his thoughts that he's "composing")
Don't play like this (Not use to the unsteady pace of trying to put it all together)
But I'm prepared for it (Had a lil' sumthin' worked out to go off of)
Got a lil' rare for it (Treated it like a special occasion)
Brushed off my Airs (Busted out the old Nikes and dusted 'em off!)
Even cut my hair for it (Wanted to look confident on stage)
Normally I don't care for it (The butterflies from performing)
Don't even be lookin' for light like that ("light" being the lime light, spot light, center of attention)
Then there go it (It's calling him)
Yeah, right over there (Time to approach the mic)
So I prepared a poet ("poet" as in a rap...if you break it down, rapping is basically poetry to a soundtrack)
Little scared, my stared lowered (Intimidated by performing, eyes focus on the floor)
Momma said "have no fear"
Plus I'm already outta my chair (No turning back now)
Gathered up my air (Took a deep breathe)
On my square from here forward ("Square" such as a starting block used by a track runner)
It's nothing right? (Convincing himself he can do it)
So here go it
Whispered in her ear (Talking to the hip-hop rhyme that has built up in his head)
"It's kinda crowded in here," (There's too many thoughts floating around)
"Would you care to blow it" ("Blow" his mind, exit out via lyrics)
And she said yeah (Time to flow)

CHORUS:
You're my sunshine (Everywhere he goes, sunlight touches everything)
You're my moonlight (The inspiration that guides him through "dark" times)
You're the starry skies above me (His form of art...his Van Gogh if you will)
Won't you please come down and hug me (Bless him with the love of the art)
Think I found love in this club tonight (Falling in love with hip-hop)

Never met her before (Never gave "her"...hip-hop...much time)
But I think I like her like a metaphor (Appreciates "her"...hip-hop...best in metaphorical form)
That's hard to get (Such as this song?)
In the car we sit ("We" being himself and a CD)
From the intro (CD intro)
She rolled down the window (Opened up his mind)
Just in case I was a skitzo (....)
I compliment her on her Common Sense (Respects the rapper Common Sense...check out "I use to love her")
I'm calm, a little more confident (Feels at ease listening, and can relate)
And then we lose consciousness (Drifts off, and loses focus on the music)
She says "I've been waiting for you" (Hip-hop needs someone like him)
"And I know that you've been chasin' me too" (He needs an outlet like hip-hop)
"Since they kidnapped me from my castle" ("They" being the clowns who took hip-hop from respectable status)
"I been thinkin' of you" (Hoping someone would return it to it's essence)
"I told the Fire Breathin' Dragons, they better not harm me" (Again, the clowns : silly rappers, society, media, etc.)
"Or be sorry, when you meet my one man army" (Solo performer who will fight to bring it back, and expose the weakness)
"And thou has come to rescue me"
"My knight in shinning armor, yes you be"
Woken up by the horn of an SUV (Bringing him back to reality)
I said see
Too beautiful to let you sleep (Sleeping Beauty...who he must save)

CHORUS

Relationship is just 30 minutes long (Sits and writes)
It's kinda heavy (Deep thoughts)
Maybe a lil' strong (Emotional issues)
Gonna take much more then once (Plans to write a lot more, like therapy sessions)
Can't trust what each of us say, at least for a month (Doesn't want to confuse entertainment with real life issues)
Or two
Before I bid you adieu (Until they're next session)
Do this one thing for me
Out of the trillions of #'s that's in the world
Just leave me a few
That lead to you (What radio stations can "she"...hip-hop...be found on)
Won't be long, and I'll see you in the morning ("Morning" will bring about a new day and a new era for hip-hop)

CHORUS"

Sunshine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecAR_zVAvUE

Oh boy breaks this down it's so ****ing crazy.

I never even thought about the song like this. I figured it was always about a female until I read this.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I've always liked that song (Lupe's one of my favorite artists) but the only song of his I've really dissected is The Instrumental. That sheds new light on Sunshine, pretty interesting, thanks for posting it.

Niko45

Smash Master
Sometimes that's what it feels like to me too. That **** gets old quick. You can't complain too much, otherwise you sound out of date and whiny as ****. Looking at you, Ice T.
Yea, like, instead of complaining about hip hop, where is their creativity? That's kinda why I got turned off of Nas after HH is Dead. I thought it was a pretty cheap gimmick coming from a legendary rapper who should be able to just make a beast CD and then there would be no question Hip Hop is alive, right?

Top Bottom