• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Name is Nicki, Rep Young Money, Donuts, Stupid Voices, Baddest *****, She tries to sing.

That sounds like most of the Nicki flows I have heard aside from the singing. That was just bad.

Lasers, Cole World, and Man on the Moon 2 are my most anticipated albums of the year. Lasers is gonna be ****ing sick nasty

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
nicki minaj is terrible. her lines make me cringe.

"I look like yes and you look like no"

"it's going down....BASEMENT"

"flow tight like a dik in the butt"

her flow is aight but what she says while rapping is just dreadful.

@S l o x: well overall is pretty easy.
Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem, Lupe, and J.Cole for me.

young is kinda hard because, like i've said a bunch of times in this thread, i'm not a fan of majority of this "rappa turnt singa" phenom. J. Cole seems to be the only new guy on a mainstream label that's making his career off just his rapping skills.

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea I wasn't trying to say the song was great or anything. I just never realized she could actually spit.

Top 5 mainstream right now:

1) J Cole
2) Kanye West
3) Luda
4) Jay-Z
5) Jadakiss

Edit: keep forgetting people

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
@Iamblu, you right, some of her lines are realllllyyy bad. I just liked her flow on that. Normally I don't like her.

Young Money generally eats *****, save for the captain and the flagship, and Tyga. **** gudda, jae millz, etc etc all them dudes is never gettin paid LOL

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Man, I always used to think Cassidy would turn into something great.

But, he has been on the down low ever since his album sales for B.A.R.S. flopped. I thought the whole car crash, plus shooting, plus drink n my 2 step would kinda replicate the whole 50 cent thing. His mixtape **** is always better than his albums though.

My Top Five Mainstream

1) Lupe Fiasco
2) Eminem
3) Andre 3000
4) Wale
5) KiD CuDi

I would say J. Cole, but I wouldn't consider him to be mainstream. I think Wale barely makes the cut as mainstream just because he has already dropped an album and Twitter. Cassidy isn't mainstream IMO, or else he would be top 3.

Niko45

Smash Master
Cass might be a top 5 all time battle rapper. It's common though that battle rappers don't manage to convert their skills to making full albums. That's why the Smack DVD guys rarely blow up.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I wouldn't even consider RC as mainstream . . . for now at least though he has had some exposure. J. Cole only has like one song being played out there as well. (I basically had the same list and friend came up with the JCOLE 1 SINGLE thing) Give him less than two months though, *****s will finally realize.

Also. I didn't like Fire. Maybe because I didn't get a ****in word because it was so good but Yoga Flame was monstrously good if that's what he intended to do. Anyone got a link to the MTV top 5 thing?
http://rap.about.com/b/2009/10/06/mtv-declares-jay-z-hottest-mc-of-2009.htm
Pull the game up by the brains
Could not move it just with brains
So I had to use some bling
Shouts to Drizzy, shout to Wayne
Yeezy, Jeezy, Ricky, Fifty, Raekwon, Loso, Gucci Mane
Im not going to drop my name

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Dude, this is how you know MTV's list was bad.

Top 10 it had Gucci, Wayne, Ricky, and Drake.

It's not that Drake is horrible, it's just he is sooooooo overhyped he came in at like #2 right behind Weezy.

Half the **** he said on fire I had to look up. That's Lupe for ya. Everytime you listen you usually take away something new from it.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Top 5 mainstream right now:

1) J Cole
2) Kanye West
3) Luda
4) Jay-Z
5) Jadakiss

Edit: keep forgetting people
i wanted to put jada but i wasn't sure if people would put him as a mainstream rapper at this point in his career. i completely forgot about kanye smh.

There is this great underground rapper named Hyperaptive, he dosn't rap about gangster crap, I love the way he raps about real stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h4iMUKItVQ
british rappers also make me cringe. they're accents man....also, call me crazy, but i like gangster rap :)

Man, I always used to think Cassidy would turn into something great.

But, he has been on the down low ever since his album sales for B.A.R.S. flopped. I thought the whole car crash, plus shooting, plus drink n my 2 step would kinda replicate the whole 50 cent thing. His mixtape **** is always better than his albums though.

My Top Five Mainstream

1) Lupe Fiasco
2) Eminem
3) Andre 3000
4) Wale
5) KiD CuDi

I would say J. Cole, but I wouldn't consider him to be mainstream. I think Wale barely makes the cut as mainstream just because he has already dropped an album and Twitter. Cassidy isn't mainstream IMO, or else he would be top 3.
yeah, B.A.R.S was a pretty good album...just got boring quickly. some of the songs had replay value but most were good lyrically but never felt like listening to them again.

i wouldn't consider Andre 3000 mainstream simply because i read that he's thinking about retiring and he hasn't put out any albums since 2003. J.Cole is mainstream. Just waiting for that hit single. I don't like wale but he's mainstream.

Niko45

Smash Master
My problem with Drake is his voice is annoying and then any time he actually does drop a nice line he has to pause and go "UH" as if to say "yea I know that line was dope" and its just stfu, ur not that good.

I liked his verse on the unthinkable remix tho.

Edit: I just use anyone I know I could possibly hear on Hot 97 as mainstream.

And Luda over Jay-Z...I personally have Jay-Z as the GOAT but his recent stuff is pretty mediocre and I'm feeling just about every Luda feature I've heard this year.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Half the **** he said on fire I had to look up. That's Lupe for ya. Everytime you listen you usually take away something new from it.
Sneak that message to the masses you can call me Chocolate Rain
I'll look up **** later but yeah he's a monsterrrrrrr. /ridedick. Anybody any idea when Lasers is gonna be released?
-
Just heard Thank You and was mind blown (always skipped it, don't ask why).

rhan

Smash Hero
LATE: But Nicki's verse wasn't that good in Bottoms Up. And I love Nicki Minaj to deff.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Thank You Rhan. Finally somebody that agrees with me.

Yea, and I keep forgetting about Kanye as mainstream also. And, how do you not like Wale? I read somewhere that Andre was gonna come out with his own solo album.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
My problem with Drake is his voice is annoying and then any time he actually does drop a nice line he has to pause and go "UH" as if to say "yea I know that line was dope" and its just stfu, ur not that good.

And Luda over Jay-Z...I personally have Jay-Z as the GOAT but his recent stuff is pretty mediocre and I'm feeling just about every Luda feature I've heard this year.
lol that shit makes me laugh every time, though it's more of an "AHH" after every line.

also, Nas > Jay-Z....just sayin.

@King: wale is....meh. just not a fan. his voice irritates. sounds all nasaly or something.

Andre's was said to be coming out with an album....what i read most recently said he's retiring though. so, i'll wait and see, i suppose.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I prefer Nas over Jay too. Drake "freestyling" makes me facepalm but some of his lines are good.

on Enemy of the State Lupe remix'd Slaughterhouse's The One. I'm mad I'm JUST listening to all the songs even though I got on my iPod.

On mainstream rappers, only one I really agree on is Fab / Kanye / JayZ. Sooo many more people can take the other's places but those three have legit productions and good enough lyrics to be on the top 10.

Niko45

Smash Master
Well I'll just say this Nas won the battle unquestionably ("Blueprint 2" is an extremely slept on diss record tho) but Jay has the better career unquestionably as well...

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
well....depends on what angle you're attacking from. if we're talking financial success, there is no argument: jay. if we're talking critical acclaim, i don't see how nas would lose that one.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
This dude has dominate the radio lately.

He continues this he is gonna be on the next DJ Khaled joint. LOL.

No, but this guy is seriously gonna be something.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
What's up with the Young Money hate... Nicki is fire, Drake is a monster, and Weezy is easily a legend in the making.
Next up is Tyga, Gudda, Short Dawg or Millz from the Young Money camp... Everybody else can fall back.

Let's get Gucci, Jeezy, Rick Ross out of here.

I mess with Fab, Luda, Cass. I use to like Kanye, but he can fall back..although he does make good music.

Same thing with Jay Z.... he can fall back. I've been listening to Wayne since he dropped block is hot...and this is the song that made me like him forever on....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_O10eYZEvg

This song made it official that he will be my favorite rapper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GwTC8Sm4ts&feature=related

Although I feel Drake, Nicki, and a few other rappers have a lot of more time to put in to be considered a "Top" in any legitimate list.

Cassidy will never be a good artist... Just a street rapper with good punch lines. A lot of Battle Rappers won't make it... because they all have the same approach to any song they are on. That's why I don't battle rap... though I could freestyle for days...

I agree Nicki has some weird expressions and voices...but that is what makes you all notice her more. If you don't acknowledge her as lyricist at least recognize her as an artist who stands out more than others....

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
What's up with the Young Money hate... Nicki is fire, Drake is a monster, and Weezy is easily a legend in the making.
Next up is Tyga, Gudda, Short Dawg or Millz from the Young Money camp... Everybody else can fall back.

Let's get Gucci, Jeezy, Rick Ross out of here.

I mess with Fab, Luda, Cass. I use to like Kanye, but he can fall back..although he does make good music.

Same thing with Jay Z.... he can fall back. I've been listening to Wayne since he dropped block is hot...and this is the song that made me like him forever on....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_O10eYZEvg

This song made it official that he will be my favorite rapper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GwTC8Sm4ts&feature=related

Although I feel Drake, Nicki, and a few other rappers have a lot of more time to put in to be considered a "Top" in any legitimate list.

Cassidy will never be a good artist... Just a street rapper with good punch lines. A lot of Battle Rappers won't make it... because they all have the same approach to any song they are on. That's why I don't battle rap... though I could freestyle for days...

I agree Nicki has some weird expressions and voices...but that is what makes you all notice her more. If you don't acknowledge her as lyricist at least recognize her as an artist who stands out more than others....
i'll give you wayne, drake and maybe nicki minaj. but there is no way in hell anybody else on the label is gonna blow up like them.

i acknowledge nicki as a black lady gaga. not a compliment, tho.

wayne as a legend in the making is too much reaching in my book. don't get me wrong. he's popular and all but his music and lyrics are usually the subject of ridicule on hip-hop sites.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
The old school Lil Wayne went hard.

The funny thing is you say these are the songs that made you love Lil Wayne. I don't know if you noticed but Wayne doesn't make these songs anymore. What keeps you attracted to him still? Nostalgia?

And, I have respect for Drake so yea, I'll give you that. But, there ain't no way in hell I'll ever think of Nicki as a rapper until the day she releases some tough ****.

Niko45

Smash Master
Drake will end up being absolutely forgettable in the long run. Wayne will end up as an above-average rapper. Lloyd Banks tier (bottom of that tier tho). Tha Carter 2 was really good, and "The Leak" mixtape summer of 07 was very good. Everything else in his career is very forgettable to me. Nicki needs to step up the lyrics but like I pointed out she can flow and having charisma on the track is usually a good thing but she needs to figure out which voices are working and which ones aren't.

As far as Jay vs Nas for me I like Jay because he connects with the listener. His raps are personal and he's the hero in his raps where as Nas's raps are anonymous and often much more vague. Nas is a fantastic machine gun tempo lyricist but he isn't on Jay's level metaphorically or in terms of versatility. Jay can be funny, he can give you chills, he can get you hype, whatever. Jay's flow is so shapeless it just feels like he's talking to you over the beat. Slow flows, quick flows, and rapid flows he has them all over the span of his career. Nas fans are obviously big fans of quick hitting lyrical rhymes at which I would point to Jay-Z on the originators, jigga what jigga who, or Can I Get A.

Jay has adapted over time and managed to stay relevant where as I feel that Nas has stayed much less true to himself in order to stay relevant (Jay makes a good point on Blueprint 2 about Nas's hypocritical messages "is it black girl lost or shorty owe you for ice?")

Then there's issues like Nas's first half of his career is much better than his second half (the second half resurgence that Jay created for him by beefing with him). Illmatic is obviously a classic, It Was Written has amazing tracks despite it being dominated by mafioso raps which are tolerable because of the rap quality but still unfortunately not a complete knockout album. I am has "Nas is Like" which is worth a whole album all by itself but overall from very early on Nas was becoming boom or bust. Monster track or complete garbage seemed to be what you were getting with his albums. Lets not even talk about Nastradamus.

Stillmatic was good tons of good tracks (a few utter throw-aways tho, lets not let him off the hook), God's Son was ok...Made You Look was killed, Heaven, Book of Rhymes etc, but by Street's Disciple it was getting very thin (however I just want to say I loved the hidden track "Street's Disciple" and no, I'm not talking about "Disciple"). After that with Hip Hop is Dead and so on I found Nas to just be a joke. Clearly at this point incapable of making a quality full length CD, he's taking shots at hip hop and then later getting on some confusing black righteous nonsense which I'm still trying to figure out.

Jay's career is very solid. I love something on every Jay album and he's got 4 or 5 CDs that are pure gold. Not to knock Nas because I love Nas too but he looks limited next to Jay. He's good at the quick flows and heavy lyrics but thats what he's bringing to the table. With Jay, you never know what you're gonna get, and you never know when he's gonna just go off.

Ultimately Nas is a great rapper one of the best ever (personally not totally convinced he's top 5) but I think his career follows the pattern largely of other heavy hitting lyricists (like Rakim) who never had a connecting overall message that would make their music timeless. I do acknowledge that Nas has done some brilliant stuff, great story telling, rapping from the perspective of the gun, Rewind, One Mic. Some really genius stuff but personally I find him much less versatile than Jay and not necessarily anymore skilled in any aspect of rap.

Niko45

Smash Master
I'm also pretty surprised someone who is a huge Joey fan would also prefer Nas to Jay since they both largely build around their personal raps but I guess that's not the one and only determining factor...

Top Bottom