• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

soap

Smash Hero
I got no problem with drake getting emotional on the record, but he does in fact cross over into ***** territory with some of the **** he talks about.

goin in a chick's purse to check her phone? It's not like the phone was even out on the table, he said he goes into their purse.. Or telling his ex she could do better. You most likely don't know the dude and are judging him based off of superficial **** such as looks/money. Like awww damn girl, he's not as rich or good looking as me. Drake is kind of a weird looking dude himself to be telling girls they can do better *shrugs*

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Not pessimistic. Just bluntly honest, muh ****a :awesome:. I see no point in beating around the bush. If I think your favorite rapper is wack, I'mma say so. Not tryna rile anybody up. If you catch feelings, that's on you.

:phone:
I'm not the one catching feelings, obviously you're the one who caught enough feelings to respond to something that wasn't even directed at your or specifically for you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :I

And even though it was an example, we share the same favorite rapper. lol

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I got no problem with drake getting emotional on the record, but he does in fact cross over into ***** territory with some of the **** he talks about.

goin in a chick's purse to check her phone? It's not like the phone was even out on the table, he said he goes into their purse.. Or telling his ex she could do better. You most likely don't know the dude and are judging him based off of superficial **** such as looks/money. Like awww damn girl, he's not as rich or good looking as me. Drake is kind of a weird looking dude himself to be telling girls they can do better *shrugs*
Also it didn't help that 70% of his album was on that *****-made ****. Like, it's aight to have like 3 songs like that (I'll let Drake get like 6) but literally almost every song is about a ***** and him getting emotional.

Wtf did he do? Look through his contacts and make a song for every ***** in the ****? Sorry, that album was mad boring.

Lord Knows is a hot *** track tho, prolly cause of JustBlaze.

$mike

Smash Ace

lol, what's really ironic here is that you're accusing drake of being judgmental while you're the one actually judging him.

once again, i don't think you can discredit the music for your opinion of the artist... lol, it's kind of ridiculous. please name a rapper or artist that hasn't said ANYTHING to harm their personal reputation. i mean, yes, going through a girl's purse isn't morally right imo, but it realistically doesn't change the value of drake's music... he's telling a story, and every line goes into whatever he's trying to say.

etwist - LOL. i don't think you've heard the album if you think every song is about "a ***** and getting emotional."

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Shot for Me, Take Care, Marvins Room, Doing it wrong, The Real Her, Look What You've Done, Hate Sleepin Alone.

That's a good chunk bro. I'm just sayin, Drakes a little one-dimensional. I used to like em, but he just sings and talks about girls a little too much for me.

edit: basically, if I wanted to hear about that ****, I would listen to some rnb artists.

soap

Smash Hero
lol, what's really ironic here is that you're accusing drake of being judgmental while you're the one actually judging him.

once again, i don't think you can discredit the music for your opinion of the artist... lol, it's kind of ridiculous. please name a rapper or artist that hasn't said ANYTHING to harm their personal reputation. i mean, yes, going through a girl's purse isn't morally right imo, but it realistically doesn't change the value of drake's music... he's telling a story, and every line goes into whatever he's trying to say.
Ha well ya I was doing both I suppose. He was being judgemental imo. I was also commenting on the irony of his judgementalism (is that a word) by being judgemental myself.

I really don't care what artists look like tho. Buttt, saying that what artists say has nothing to do with the music... I disagree. What you say and how you say it has alot to do with the song and the emotional response it illicits. My impression of an artist and their style/aura is important for me personally as well.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Drake is a good Artist.

He does his thing. He never claimed to be anything that most peeps bash him for.

Honestly I think he is an all around Artist. I feel like I can listen to his music without getting tired of it just because it doesn't sound like every other artist.

"So Far Gone" is easily my favorite CD, from him. Yup he's soft but he goes in and speaks from a personal perspective and situations that many people could relate to...

$mike

Smash Ace
Shot for Me, Take Care, Marvins Room, Doing it wrong, The Real Her, Look What You've Done, Hate Sleepin Alone.

That's a good chunk bro. I'm just sayin, Drakes a little one-dimensional. I used to like em, but he just sings and talks about girls a little too much for me.

edit: basically, if I wanted to hear about that ****, I would listen to some rnb artists.
one of the main themes of the album is relationships. so yes, the songs you listed would all fall under that category, but it definitely doesn't mean they're all about the same detail in that theme. they each speak on a different aspect of it. many artists focus on a main theme with LPs - kanye is a great example. MBDTF is based on excess celebrity and wealth. 808s and heartbreak is about love and heartache, etc. lol, come to think of it, everyone and their mom was calling kanye an emotional douche when 808s came out, so i don't blame you for saying the same about drake. but ye was just in a dark place when he made that album. it's all about the artist's experiences when they work.

MBlaze

Smash Champion

You thought Look What You've Done was about women and romantic relationships?

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Also it didn't help that 70% of his album was on that *****-made ****. Like, it's aight to have like 3 songs like that (I'll let Drake get like 6) but literally almost every song is about a ***** and him getting emotional.

Wtf did he do? Look through his contacts and make a song for every ***** in the ****? Sorry, that album was mad boring.

Lord Knows is a hot *** track tho, prolly cause of JustBlaze.

etwist - LOL. i don't think you've heard the album if you think every song is about "a ***** and getting emotional."

When did I say anything about relationships? But yes, I think he's talk about someone on the first verse.
Legend:

The Bold Portion Means: This is what lead me to believe that you thought that you were including that song through your generalization on the album.

The Underlined Portion Means: This is what lead me to think you were referring to the track itself seeing as 'Look What You've Done' was included in a list of songs that you were using as an example.

Also to clear things up, first verse is about his mother and the second verse is about his uncle.

And yes... Free Rhan.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
F8AL lives in my province.

With that being said, I've never seen him at a Brawl or Melee tournament- not sure why he involves himself in the community.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Legend:

The Bold Portion Means: This is what lead me to believe that you thought that you were including that song through your generalization on the album.

The Underlined Portion Means: This is what lead me to think you were referring to the track itself seeing as 'Look What You've Done' was included in a list of songs that you were using as an example.

Also to clear things up, first verse is about his mother and the second verse is about his uncle.

And yes... Free Rhan.
I know this nigga did not just make an entire damn synopsis to prove one point. You coulda just said "No, Etwist, it's about his mother.". My mistake.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
one of the main themes of the album is relationships. so yes, the songs you listed would all fall under that category, but it definitely doesn't mean they're all about the same detail in that theme. they each speak on a different aspect of it. many artists focus on a main theme with LPs - kanye is a great example. MBDTF is based on excess celebrity and wealth. 808s and heartbreak is about love and heartache, etc. lol, come to think of it, everyone and their mom was calling kanye an emotional douche when 808s came out, so i don't blame you for saying the same about drake. but ye was just in a dark place when he made that album. it's all about the artist's experiences when they work.
Damn, I missed this post. I understand and I shouldn't generalize a whole album like that. I agree with what your saying. Drake just gets repetitive to me and that annoys me. It still bored me the first couple times but I might give it another listen.

Linguini

Smash Master
why are you guys talking about take care as if it merits that much attention.

**** was pretty mediocre imo. 40's production wasn't as versatile as it has been in the past; and without that drake's lyrics weren't really strong enough to maintain my attention.

workin' on a classic preemo style beat right now.....should be done by 4 am.....hopefully

Jane

Smash Hero
This thread huffs turds. could we talk about hip hop sometime in the foreseeable future please?

shouts out to $mike for some quality posts in a sea of **** the last couple pages have been
i for one have been thoroughly entertained by the last couple pages. plus, aside from blu and mblaze's little squabble (which was hilarious), the climate of the thread has stayed hiphop.

and for the record, i loved take care. i definitely feel a lot of MBDTF influence as far as the overall mood of the album. drake stays 100% true to himself and does a totally personal project, and i love that. the end result is an enjoyable piece which is very replayable. yes, the lyrical themes can get a little stale, but hey, this is rap, home of the repetitive subject matter.

in the end, drake created an album where, even if you dont agree with all the **** he raps about, you wont be able to help but nod your head to the ambience of the music and drakes signature sing-songy flow which youve come to love (or hate).

8/10

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Still bashing my ***** Aubs though? Chilllll lol.
That ***** $Mike did a good job of summing it up though.

How'd everyone like Friend of the People though? lol

Top Bottom