• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Let the record show that I didn't turn the talk to religion but am just commenting on the topic from my Christian perspective. Also, I am not by any means preaching to anyone, again, just my view.

I remember a Christian rapper coming at Jay after On To The Next One, don't know if it's the same dude. I haven't heard No Church In The Wild or WTT. I listened to No Church In The Wild and the Bizzle track. I agree with Bizzle.

I don't know Kanye. I don't know Jay. I have no shred of information about their private life, their religious life, their belief systems and faith so I am in position to pass judgement on them at all. But what I can pass judgement on is their music.

And Jay's music man, it's a straight slap in the face at times towards Christ and Christianity.

Empire State of Mind, that track with Alicia, the biggest track worldwide a minute ago, all that hype, exposure, attention and hype, right? What does Jay say?

Now don't tell me that these lyrics are about a chick's story and they have to be taken in context and that my interpretation is misconstrued. Look at what Jay actually says...

C'mon son.

What did Jesus come to do? To save us. What is Jay saying? He's straight out denying this. Point blank. He is straight saying Jesus can't do what Christ explicitly said He came to do. Jay is straight going against what Christ says and denying Him. Then he refers to the end of the Church, which Christ appointed. C'mon.

How can you verbalise anti Christ or anti Christian sentiment any clearer then saying Christ can't do what He said He will?

Again, not pushing any agenda at all, just my Christian view and again if you say I'm taking these bars out of context I will disagree with you strongly. I'd be really interested to see how people take these bars and more than open to deeper dialogue if Luigi allows it and if not I'm open to PM's.
I knew this was coming lol.

Jane

Smash Hero
haha i was HOPING nine would reply. hes one of the best representatives of christianity i know.

but back on the topic, i agree that jay's music bad mouths and criticizes religion at times. kanye definitely does too, no doubt about it. i recall a line from the power remix where kanye says

The crucifixion, the being nailed to the cross
Truth or fiction, it’s a hell of a cost, do the dishes

where, in my mind, he's denouncing christianity.

this is part of the reason i like kanye so much. because in his music, you see him grow from a christian to a nonbeliever. and not just a nonbeliever, but someone who actively criticizes and questions christianity. sort of like me. kanye causes controversy because of this and i like it. it makes people think about religion for at least a split second. jay is similar in this fashion for me, he just straight doesnt like religion, also like me.

so in that sense, i guess i can see why a christian listener wouldnt really like jay and ye. for the same reason i dont like christian rappers-- they rap about important subjects in which we disagree. i wonder what it'll be like when there are republican rappers? hahahaha.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
lol wat r u talking about
I don't like you.

You're the only one. OF is pretty wack to me.
I'm gonna use this as an example why.

You would see this and ****ride OF and prolly say some ******** **** that makes no sense.

I will just say cool or why or something because even though I love OF I'm not gonna ****ride and hate on a ***** just because he doesn't.

About the Christian rapper stuff.

idc as long as their dope like that guy was.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I need your help guys.

List me a whole bunch of good instrumentals on a youtube link I can put them on my old iPod and play it in the car when I drive.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
holy ****, this thread has been awesome the last couple of pages.

about Odd Future:

I am not crazy on any of OF's music, but I LOVE what they've accomplished in the past year+ and their basic outlook and perspective on art. I have mad respect for all of OF. I think some of them are going to go great places once their music matures a little bit. I want to see them live so bad. It's gotta be fun as ****.

My problem with Christian music- and this isn't limited to hip hop- is that it very often strikes me as "message first, music second". That makes me salty no matter what the message is. I've criticized Immortal Tecnhique for the same thing.

The beauty of music is that, no matter what perspective an artist is coming from, if the music is heartfelt and they put some thought into it, I can empathize with ANYTHING. This way, I can be as emotionally affected by Jesus Walks as I am by...well, the majority of MBDTF and Watch the Throne. It just seems sincere to me. I am almost anti-religious so I tend to vibe with Kanye's more recent stuff, but stuff like Jesus Walks and J. Ivy's verse in Never Let Me Down hit me hard. It's very touching when someone is moved by faith, even if it is something I think is imaginary. But, as I have no religious dogma to be faithful to, I can't really speak for religious folk when their beliefs are put down in media.

The one thing that WOULD offend me a LOT would be to somehow find out that Jay and Ye are just pushing the satanism thing just for press and popularity. I would not doubt it that Jay is just hopping on the bandwagon because that seems to be his forte, but to think that Kanye is just playing to what he thinks will be a broader demographic is far more offensive than thinking that he truly lost his faith.

Kanye has always been about the confliction of faith with his love for hedonism, though.

"ask the reverend, are the strip clubs cool if my tips help send a pretty girl through school?"

"I want to talk to God but I'm afraid cuz we aint spoke in so long."

and, I remember a quote from an interview where he said "I lose my religion every time I walk in the club"

that kind of introspection and honesty is something I admire more than anything in an artist. and it's why I like Ye a hundred times more than Jay. Jay seems to me like a shark that will jump on whatever fad he thinks is gonna get hot just for the sake of keeping his name out there. Kanye seems eternally sincere.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
^ "I had a dream i could buy my way to heaven, when i awoke i spent it on a necklace" I've written papers about kanye and his lyrics.. agreed 100%

jugfingers

Smash Champion
check out my swag yo i walk like a ball player
-jay-z

That makes me salty no matter what the message is. I've criticized Immortal Tecnhique for the same thing.
haha yea i listened to an immortal technique song once, it felt like a bunch of angry tiny ogres climbed into my head and were pounding it with rusty hammers.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Where you been!? I have been jerking Kanye off for the past forever!

actually, I forgot to address the main thing I wanted to respond to:

NINE:

I actually never paid enough attention to Empire State of Mind to even realize what Jay was saying.

"and Jesus can’t save you life starts when the church ends" That is about as explicitly un-Christian, and anti organized religion as you can get. While this particular line has gotten Jay a lot more respect from me personally (if it's sincere of course, see my last post), I can only imagine how it comes across to a man of faith.

"Hail Mary to the city your a Virgin"- I don't know if you read my earlier post about a Watch the Throne Track, "Made in America", but I mentioned that Jay's verse in that song has a similar re-appropriation of traditional mantras (just replace "religious" with "patriotic"). I personally believe Jay is not going for a specifically anti-Christian or anti-American message so much as a pushing for a break from tradition. Like Kanye, Jay's subject matter often seems to boil down to "live how you live", or existentialism more or less. Life's value and meaning is defined by the self. Disregard what the majority of people consider "success" and "righteous" and define those terms yourself.

You can't deny that a LOT of hip-hop is focused on this self-centered perspective. It's not unique to Kanye of course, it's almost a fundamental aspect of hip-hop. Kanye just came along and had the balls to be extremely vocal and self-aware about it.

I feel I have to emphasize that I listen to music that comes from many different spheres of belief. From Jesus Christ Superstar to Matisyahu to innumerable black metal groups that pride themselves on explicit anti-Christian sentiments. To me, there is value in all music, and music is more tangible than some concept of "God" that other people tell me.

of course, maybe Lucifer knows this- the power of music and is using to to build his antichrist army!!! :O

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Just to clarify, Jay has had this outlook on religion for just about ever. For example, D'Evils from Reasonable Doubt is littered with lines like the one N9NE quoted.

"My flesh, no n**** could test
My soul is possessed by D'Evils in the form of diamonds and lexuses...

"Stop screaming, you know the demon said it's best to die
And even if Jehovah witness, bet he'll never testify...D'Evils...
"

And...of course...

"Life ills, poison my body
Used to say "f*** mic skills", and I never prayed to God, I prayed to Gotti
"

It's not as clearly anti-christian as N9NE's quote, but it shows that he's never been religion's biggest fan. Following in Big's footsteps, you can't expect him to.

Edit: Regarding the whole religion thing, I kinda share LT's outlook on it when listening to music unless it's direct and unrelenting in bashing my religion. If it's heartfelt, then I can still vibe to it and feel the music. There's nothing I hate more than an empty verse.

:phone:

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
"Life ills, poison my body
Used to say "f*** mic skills", and I never prayed to God, I prayed to Gotti
"

Personally, I never took this line as a shot at religion but more so a ghetto nigga idolizing someone with power. I think Jay calling himself the God MC would be much more offensive, but, for me, since I listen to a bunch of dudes who just downright bash religion, it doesn't really do anything. One thing I find interesting is that no one bashes any other religion aside from Christianity. If they do,they always do it collectively like "Fuck Religion." I've never met or heard a dude that's anti-theistic whose roots began in the Islamic faith or even Hindu.

soap

Smash Hero
Speaking of double features, I just copped a hard copy of Street's Disciple for 3$ a couple days ago. (1.50/disc lol) And I actually listened to the whole thing straight thru finally on my ride home. Kind of a weird vibe on disc 1, Disc 2 he's all about his marriage which made me feel kinda bad for dude.

As far as criticizing religion, I have no problems with that personally. If you are secure and open minded you should be able to handle critiques and satirizations of your religion without flinching.

Kind of reminds me of how on South Park Isaac Hayes couldn't take the scientology bashing and quit, but he was cool with all the Christian/Islamic/Jewish/Mormon stuff.

In hip hop I think the trend to hate on christianity stems from it being the religion of the wasp oppressors. There is just in general alot of dark history in regards to christianity (crusades, missionaries, corrupt churches) that it is not hard to see why people have a bad taste in their mouth in regards to it. But it's important to separate the religion from it's practicioners. Same with Islam and terrorism.

Jane

Smash Hero
@anti, we have quite a few big kendrick fans here, myself included. and speaking of kendrick, that made me realize than i CAN tolerate christianity in my music as long as its done right, as is the case with kendrick lamar. he's very religious and it shows, but his music is not based solely on that factor.

as far as why christianity is almost always the target, well, its because most hiphop music is american and the biggest, strongest, most influential religion here is christianity. thats all it boils down to.

Jane

Smash Hero
give me a krit tape to download. i've only heard like two/three of his songs and i really couldnt vibe to them. but i wanna give him a honest chance.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
You didn't like Country Shit? Really?

Also, I may be the only person to think so, but I don't like Busta's verse too much on "Outro." I actually prefer Shyne's to his.

Jiikae

Typing of the Red
I think Christian rappers should be a bit more subtle and make it more interesting to listen to their message. Just talk about your life in general like every other rapper and add in Christian perspective when it fits, instead of forcing it. The Bible doesn't even talk about God as straightforward as most Christian rappers do.

With that said, the best Christian rapper I've heard is NAK, he's a perfect example of how I wish most Christian rappers would approach music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQGMnFDgElw&feature=related

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I usually don't like religious music unless it's reggae. The only time I like religious rap is if it's really really bad.

Bad hip-hop is in my opinion the most entertaining bad music. I usually can't stand bad music from other genres (there are exceptions, like Friday) but bad rap is so comical I actually end up liking it.

http://youtu.be/aktLRiWXfqg
http://youtu.be/rl6HM8kypEs

I can't get enough of this stuff.

rhan

Smash Hero
yeah bro, once luda's verse is over i change the song hahaha.

speaking of luda, anyone heard this? the return of luda? :O

ludacris ft. waka flocka - rich and flexin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0UlEbk2XX0

i really really like this beat haha.
I couldn't make it past the first 10 seconds. I tried listening to it the day it came out on HNHH but **** noooooo. Omg it's terribleeeeee. aghagahaghagahga and I like Luda a lot. and OMG it was just TERRIBLEEEEE!

So bad

**** that song.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I usually don't like religious music unless it's reggae. The only time I like religious rap is if it's really really bad.

Bad hip-hop is in my opinion the most entertaining bad music. I usually can't stand bad music from other genres (there are exceptions, like Friday) but bad rap is so comical I actually end up liking it.

http://youtu.be/aktLRiWXfqg
http://youtu.be/rl6HM8kypEs

I can't get enough of this stuff.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
With my computer still down, I've literally only been listening to whatever is on my iPod.

Someone help me. Im so out of the hip-hop loop that I'm almost ashamed to be posting here.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
With my computer still down, I've literally only been listening to whatever is on my iPod.

Someone help me. Im so out of the hip-hop loop that I'm almost ashamed to be posting here.

Not like the newest shit coming out is like even that important. lol But yeah I relate to your pain on what I used to go through of not being download the little bit that I liked.

rhan

Smash Hero
Most of the new stuff I'm finding on HNHH is all crap. But they got some new J. Cole stuff coming on so I might check that out later.

MBlaze

Smash Champion

soap

Smash Hero
my laptop has been out of commision for months. Waiting on that tuition assistance check to come in and buy a new one.

I just go to the library for schoolwork and download a couple albums, drop em on my sansa (it's nice, works like a flash drive)

No Johns

I'm sad I ended up being broke as **** and couldn't afford Rock The Bells New York this weekend. Anybody go?

If that check comes this week, I'm hitting up the last one in Boston this coming weekend.

soap

Smash Hero

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Lol MBDTF is an album I felt like I should have bought in the physical copy, I never do that. I buy all my shit off iTunes if I buy it. =[ If I were to rebuy any albums in the physical copy, they'd be Illmatic and MBDTF because Illmatic is my favorite and MDBTF has cool stuff in it. :]

Top Bottom