• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I don't really understand how Common is "classic" with some of "the most classic stuff out". I mean, he had the beef with Ice Cube which was famous and in conjunction with that I used to love her is now a classic but besides that the dude is absolutely not elite at all. He's had his moments here and there like, you know, 50 other rappers have. I mean that's a very loose definition of classic if somehow Common has "2+" classic albums.
Nobody has moments like I Used to Love H.E.R. except, you know, people like Melle Mel, Biggie, Tupac, etc. You know, LEGENDARY rappers like that.

Resurrection, One Day It'll All Make Sense, and possibly Be are classic.

Seriously, has anyone here ever looked at a "top emcees all time" list? Any reasonable list has Common in the top 20, and sometimes even in the top 10 (though I wouldn't agree with that). What is with people here dissing legends like Kweli and Common and then going crazy over random scrubs like Asher Roth?

As far as white rappers - Bubba Sparxxx was legit, where the hell did he go? I'm sure many remember this banger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuW38VImiqA
Why does nobody ever mention Beastie Boys for white rappers? Seems like one of the most obvious choices to mention.

Also, 3rd Bass, particularly in the Cactus Album, were solid.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Blu3 I was thinking of this a lot lately, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLN_N2exNGI

You have a download still?

Also is Immortal Technique's first album worth checking out or all of his albums worth checking out?
^^^^ he just advertised my mash up....

:cool: i still have it on my computer. i can send it in an email or something like that if you want. immortal's first album is cool but his second album is a beast. listen to the first two before you listen to his third. his voice is a little overbearing on his third album.

Fllllluck CD's should be sold in syringes!
lmao sig worthy...

MBlaze

Smash Champion
^^^^ he just advertised my mash up....

:cool: i still have it on my computer. i can send it in an email or something like that if you want. immortal's first album is cool but his second album is a beast. listen to the first two before you listen to his third. his voice is a little overbearing on his third album.

lmao sig worthy...
Lmfaooooooooo at that gif, and yesh e-mail plz. ;)

And I'ma listen sometime then. ;O I still gotta get to all of Mos Def, Talib and AZ's albums first.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I'm gonna post some lyrics I made last night at like 11 at night when I was mad bored. It's over Drake's Over beat. It's not lyrical right now cuz I was just talking about how I just got up in the game. Gimme like 5 mins.

EDIT: I also did this with some fried chicken by my side :3

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Lmfaooooooooo at that gif, and yesh e-mail plz. ;)

And I'ma listen sometime then. ;O I still gotta get to all of Mos Def, Talib and AZ's albums first.
MIGHTYYY MOSSSSS

get Black Star, Black on Both Sides, The Ecstatic, Train of Thought, Quality
and for AZ, get Do or Die

I agree Be is his best album.
i like "Like Water For Chocolate" most.

Krazy, you check those Joe tracks?

Also, in case it was missed new Joe - Inception http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10tB3cYPVso

Fllllluck CD's should be sold in syringes!
lmao love the sample.

Nobody has moments like I Used to Love H.E.R. except, you know, people like Melle Mel, Biggie, Tupac, etc. You know, LEGENDARY rappers like that.

Resurrection, One Day It'll All Make Sense, and possibly Be are classic.

Seriously, has anyone here ever looked at a "top emcees all time" list? Any reasonable list has Common in the top 20, and sometimes even in the top 10 (though I wouldn't agree with that). What is with people here dissing legends like Kweli and Common and then going crazy over random scrubs like Asher Roth?

Why does nobody ever mention Beastie Boys for white rappers? Seems like one of the most obvious choices to mention.

Also, 3rd Bass, particularly in the Cactus Album, were solid.
agreed.

didnt think of them lmao....

Her flow is horrible

but good lines
her flow is HELLLLLA BAD.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
You negros don't even know my name.
I don't know the rules but I play this game
It's my debut with no redos
I got my controller in port 2
I'm not gonna stop, I'm not gonna pause
If I freeze, I just unthaw
Now let's get it straight, I'm that great
But the food's been cooked, it's on my plate
Gotta set the bar, get higher
Till my name gets out, I'm just a grinder
Tryna get my cheese as I make it far
from afar by a car, so au revoir
AL, you raised me well
Even caught me when I slipped and fell
You'll be the first thing that I say
When the time comes on judgement day
When I make it big, oh you'll know
And even then, I'll continue to grow
Laughing at the kids that said I blow
"Oh DQ*, you made it pro"
I know, bro, but where are you?
It's hard to see from atop this view
It's hard to do just what I do
Thinking you hard but it's so untrue
I ain't cocky, it aint my thing
I just want you all to know my name
As a rapper a gotta start off slow
Just started not too long ago
If the sun don't shine, I'll make it snow
When my path is clear, then I'll just go
When all my rhymes are in their prime
You'll see how I do when I shine

DQ is a nickname I have derived from my real name

:3

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
get AWOL for AZ.
that too.

I would listen to Eardrum b4 Ecstatic

Eardrum got slept on. My favorite Kweli album. Well tied with first Reflection
eardrum was dope too. but my fav kweli is Black Star, then Train of Thought, then its tied between Eardrum and Quality.

yeah eardrum before ecstatic. but overall mos>kweli.... mos has some bars that are literally unable to be touched.

soap

Smash Hero
(Blackstar >>>....hence it doesn't count)

i definitely like kweli more

mos is kinda inconsistent

kweli always has those machine gun verses for me, even if they are not always on beat lol

quit acting like a bytch already, be a visionary

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
and maybe you could see your name in the column of obituaries.

yeah, mos is inconsistent. but tahts only because hes trying to get out of his current record deal.

mos at his best is like the greatest thing ever.

i mean i used to like kweli more but then i picked apart mos' lyricism and stuff, and theres no doubt to me that hes better. mos is really emotional about his music, my appreciation for him grew after i saw him live.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Favorite producers?

1. Kanye West (IDC what anyone says his influence on Hip hop through the beats is just... monumental)
2. DJ Premier
3. Just Blaze/No I.D.
4. Hi Tek
5. L.E.S. (/Nas and AZ bias)/J. Cole

Honorable Mention to Pete Rock for producing my fav songs.

Niko45

Smash Master
kweli always has those machine gun verses for me, even if they are not always on beat lol
lol exactly. Except for me I can't deal with that ****. Mos >> Kweli. Even besides the off beat thing, I just think Mos Def is just kinda more talented and brings the full package much more than Kweli. They're both pretty inconsistent imo.

Top 5 producers for me:

1) Dre
2/3) Kanye/Premo (tie)
4) Timbaland
5) Just Blaze

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Mos > Kweli

But not by a lot. They're separated by one rapper on my best emcees list. Like #21 and 23 or something.

Favorite producers?

1. Kanye West (IDC what anyone says his influence on Hip hop through the beats is just... monumental)
2. DJ Premier
3. Just Blaze/No I.D.
4. Hi Tek
5. L.E.S. (/Nas and AZ bias)/J. Cole

Honorable Mention to Pete Rock for producing my fav songs.
Favorite, not best:
1. Dr. Dre
2. Kanye West
3. Timbaland
4. Just Blaze
5. Eminem (WAY underrated as a producer)

Honorable mentions to DJ Premier and Warren G.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Mos > Kweli

But not by a lot. They're separated by one rapper on my best emcees list. Like #21 and 23 or something.

Favorite, not best:
1. Dr. Dre
2. Kanye West
3. Timbaland
4. Just Blaze

Honorable mentions to DJ Premier and Warren G.
So is this your opinion too or you actually got some proof that there's a clear consensus for this list?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
nah. every time em makes a beat, i can always tell it's his. alot of his beats have old rock samples or that same basic start up like nas' The Cross. of course, he always has beats that i don't recognize as his but i don't think he's good enough to be underrated. just my personal take.

my favorites:
1. DJ Premier
2. Kanye
3. Just Blaze

that's about it right now.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
nah. every time em makes a beat, i can always tell it's his. alot of his beats have old rock samples or that same basic start up like nas' The Cross. of course, he always has beats that i don't recognize as his but i don't think he's good enough to be underrated. just my personal take.
I don't think that's a fair criticism though. I mean, can't you always tell when it's a Dr. Dre beat? He's even more predictable, often using strings and that signature G-Funk sound.

And actually, I often can't tell when it's an Em production. Songs like Renegade, Without Me, and Stan have pretty unique beats.

(BUT I LOVE DR. DRE'S PRODUCTION ON THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnkAvoM3rO0)
YESSSSSSSSS :awesome:

this instrumental > your life
Scarface feat. Jay-Z and Beanie Sigel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m69zEqzojv8

jay does the best...
Agreed on all points.

Top Bottom