• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Jane

Smash Hero
hahah. niko's suave response made me laugh out loud.

and yeah, common sucks. now, at least. he had his time when he was hot. not anymore sirs, not anymore.

:yeahboi:

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Just listened tothe GOOD cypher a couple of times. Big Sean was impressive, but honestly, I gotta give it to Cyhi the Prince. Dude killed it!

Also Common blows. :/
lol common blows everyone out of the water. hes an amazing storyteller, hear his verse on Respiration? or did you hear A Song For Assatta? Even Go! or Break my Heart is good.

common will eat your favorite emcee alive
i wouldnt go that far but common is dope.

Lol.

No, no he won't.
hes better than most.

hahah. niko's suave response made me laugh out loud.

and yeah, common sucks. now, at least. he had his time when he was hot. not anymore sirs, not anymore.

:yeahboi:
hes been dope since 91

Jane

Smash Hero
@suspect i agree with you. but hes just inconsistent. he may drop a couple hot bars here but then he drops some of the whackest **** ive ever heard over there

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea soap and Jane covered it. Common sucks now, not overall. I love scattered Common tracks over his entire career (mostly due to the incredible production behind him) and I love the Go album (I think that was actually Kanye's best production project ever) but like Common himself is really kinda whatever as an MC to me. His flow is inconsistent and he has 0 swag so unless he has some monster production his lyricism alone can't carry him imo. It'd be hard for anybody to miss on stuff like The 6th Sense, Respiration, or the Go album.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I don't really like Common on Respiration (Black Star). First two verses are a looooot better. Common's all right I guess.
well yeah first two are better. but common's verse is still dope.

"i heard the city breathe in its sleep. a reality i touch but for me its hard to keep
its deep. i heard my man breathe in his sleep. a reality i touch but for me its hard to keep"

hella crazy line.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Those are the only lines I like from his verse. His voice and sound just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the song.

"So some days I take the bus home, just to touch home
From the crib I spend months gone
Sat by the window with a clutched dome listenin to shorties cuss long
Young girls with weak minds, but they butt strong
Tried to call, or at least beep the Lord, but didn't have a touch-tone
It's a dog-eat-dog world, you gotta mush on"

tell me thats not dope. clutched dome line was amazing.

soap

Smash Hero
I asked my dog how he thinks travelling the world sound? Found out he hadn't been past downtown

pretty simple, but I always liked that

Niko45

Smash Master
ok thats true.

@niko... 0 swag? what does swag matter?
...a lot?

Having energy and charisma is very important imo. He's boring. Good wordplay and lyricism but that's not enough. Also inconsistent and his flow gets kinda jerky at times. He has his moments but he's certainly somebody that can be criticized.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Common's alright. He's the first hip-hop artist I ever saw live. That was around when Be was new though so it was all good at that point.

I like his voice, but it really doesn't fit a lot of styles. And like people have already said, he's said a lot of weak-*** ****.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
What I thought about the cyphers.

Cypher-1
The Chef definitely showed why he's a veteran *and one of my favorites lol*, Yelawolf and Bones definitely did their things too. Wiz disappointed me, I mean I was never really impressed with him in the first place, but I know he's definitely better than what he showed here.
Cypher-2
OMG did pretty good. Doughboy, forgettable. Ice Cube with that real West Coast vibe, and I was feeling it. I'm actually anticipating his album after hearing that. Rev did the best, easily showing why he is where he is, and revered *lol* like his is. Diggy was impressive, but I don't think he deserves all the hype he's getting. I know countless MC's around his age just as good *if not better8 than him. Jojo didn't lay enough bars for me to acctually give a good commentary, he just did a quick 6 and hopped out. From what I can tell he's pretty nice though.
Cypher-3
This is probably the 2nd best cypher out of all of them, and sadly it got overshadowed. Raek's calm but very commanding flow, showed you don't have to always yell in a cypher to get your point across. He had some sick *** references, and nice wordplay. Zawcain I've never heard of, but again I was impressed. "Are you studying for an A, or burning Qu'Ran text?' The whole rhyme scheme proceeding and exceeding that line was great. I actually know about Factz so I was prepared to be brutal, and he also didn't disappoint *cept for those skinnys'*. He kept the humor in his verse *lol soccer moms* like he always does, and that's him. It's a shame some of the guys here probably will never get the recognition they deserve, but so is the game I suppose.
Cypher-4
....G.O.O.D, it's as simple as that. Best cypher of the show.
Cypher-5
Ahh yes, the cypher that tied with 3 for 2nd best. Royce absolutely killed this one, his aggressive style filled with actual hard hitting metaphors/similies was mad dope. Diamond = Disappoint *why this didn't take 2nd*. What happend to all the good female MC's? Anyway, Tyga did his thing showing why he's the cousin of one of the best Band MC's in the game "Travieeeee*, and why he's probably the best in YM. Another surprise was Kuniva coming in and just wrecking ****.

All in all they were good cyphers, I just feel like BET is intentionally looking over people though. Like, get some **** J. Cole, Blu, Joel Ortiz *maybe next year lol*, DOOM, Q-Tip, or Jay Elec. People with actualy variety in their style, that may contrast the people in their cypher. Thus making the cypher more entertaining, because nobody would sound like anybody else. Just my take on it though.

Common is Dope AF, "Be" and "Finding Forever" were both dope albums imo ;3

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Ortiz has been in a cypher before and you can only be in it once.

Common is cool in my books but only in doses.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Cypher-1
The Chef definitely showed why he's a veteran *and one of my favorites lol*, Yelawolf and Bones definitely did their things too. Wiz disappointed me, I mean I was never really impressed with him in the first place, but I know he's definitely better than what he showed here.
I thought Raekwon was the worst actually, and he didn't rap for very long.

Yela > Bones > Wiz > Chef, IMO for that cypher.

Cypher-2
OMG did pretty good. Doughboy, forgettable. Ice Cube with that real West Coast vibe, and I was feeling it. I'm actually anticipating his album after hearing that. Rev did the best, easily showing why he is where he is, and revered *lol* like his is. Diggy was impressive, but I don't think he deserves all the hype he's getting. I know countless MC's around his age just as good *if not better8 than him. Jojo didn't lay enough bars for me to acctually give a good commentary, he just did a quick 6 and hopped out. From what I can tell he's pretty nice though.
OMG was decent, Doughboy was weak, Ice Cube was fairly good, Diggy was solid, Jojo was real brief and just so-so, Rev was good.

IMO Rev > Diggy > Cube > OMG > Jojo > Doughboy

Cypher-4
....G.O.O.D, it's as simple as that. Best cypher of the show.
Agreed, this was the best by a mile.

IMO Big Sean > Pusha T > Ye > Cyhi > Common

But they were all good, and Big Sean was great.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I mean the lines themselves are fine but they don't fit in the song. The mood just doesn't sound as good with the rest of the song imo.
o.o how does it not fit? its about getting past thiings and problems in life.

...a lot?

Having energy and charisma is very important imo. He's boring. Good wordplay and lyricism but that's not enough. Also inconsistent and his flow gets kinda jerky at times. He has his moments but he's certainly somebody that can be criticized.
oh. thats what you meant. he can be criticized sure. but hes a respectable person and artist who has some of the most classic stuff out. not like top 5 artist but definitely a good artist.

Common's alright. He's the first hip-hop artist I ever saw live. That was around when Be was new though so it was all good at that point.

I like his voice, but it really doesn't fit a lot of styles. And like people have already said, he's said a lot of weak-*** ****.
thats true.

Common is Dope AF, "Be" and "Finding Forever" were both dope albums imo ;3

mmmmhm.

Ortiz has been in a cypher before and you can only be in it once.

Common is cool in my books but only in doses.
agreed, he has his great stuff and his alright stuff.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
How is Yela like Em?

Also is it me or did his outfit in the cypher look really weird? I'm not usually too critical... but like... it was mismatched, to say the least.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
i feel sorry for white rappers. no matter how they sound, seems like people always say they sound like em.
what about like Esoteric?

How is Yela like Em?

Also is it me or did his outfit in the cypher look really weird? I'm not usually too critical... but like... it was mismatched, to say the least.
lmao i died.

i thought he was wearing a dress on the real

Niko45

Smash Master
I don't really understand how Common is "classic" with some of "the most classic stuff out". I mean, he had the beef with Ice Cube which was famous and in conjunction with that I used to love her is now a classic but besides that the dude is absolutely not elite at all. He's had his moments here and there like, you know, 50 other rappers have. I mean that's a very loose definition of classic if somehow Common has "2+" classic albums.

As far as white rappers - Bubba Sparxxx was legit, where the hell did he go? I'm sure many remember this banger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuW38VImiqA

But I've honestly only said Asher Roth sounds like Eminem as far as white rappers go. Asher DOES sound like Eminem.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't really understand how Common is "classic" with some of "the most classic stuff out". I mean, he had the beef with Ice Cube which was famous and in conjunction with that I used to love her is now a classic but besides that the dude is absolutely not elite at all. He's had his moments here and there like, you know, 50 other rappers have. I mean that's a very loose definition of classic if somehow Common has "2+" classic albums.

As far as white rappers - Bubba Sparxxx was legit, where the hell did he go? I'm sure many remember this banger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuW38VImiqA

But I've honestly only said Asher Roth sounds like Eminem as far as white rappers go. Asher DOES sound like Eminem.
I think "Be" IS a classic album. Nothing else is all that special though.

best white rapper is Chuggo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeHk4WMWpY

lmfao I never get sick of linking that

Top Bottom