• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
lol alotta people say he named it that for the shock value. i don't really think so. i was hoping the album would turn out better, though.

^wow.....that's pretty awful.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
errr i like it more....but, objectively speaking, stillmatic has better ratings so yeah...

i also like stillmatic and god's son more than it was written...

untitled didn't. and listen to God's Son again -__- today was the first time i sat down and listened to SD. it's pretty alright. has a lotta wack beats.
actually not more than God's Son.. but I liked it.
and ohh. well a ton of his albums went platinum.

Hip Hop is Dead went Plat?

That's gotta be the biggest contradiction of all time.
Agreed.

.... oww. my ears.

lol alotta people say he named it that for the shock value. i don't really think so. i was hoping the album would turn out better, though.

^wow.....that's pretty awful.
i think that it was partly for that. people thinking "hip hop dead? say what? i gotta pick it up and hear it!" but also he took the idea from an artistic point of view. i love the sample on Hip Hop is Dead (feat. will.i.am). and why was will.i.am. on that track? ironic

and ive been blasting virgo today. im a pisces. lmao such a danceable song

purple on lost tapes is pretty legit.

Niko45

Smash Master
God's Son vs HHID? Made You Look > all of HHID...that album is legitimately trash..

I like Blu's tier list for Nas albums though I'd have Street's Disciple and I Am over Untitled/Distant Relatives. Both albums have quite a few throw away track but the great tracks make up for it.

Edit: Agree with Soap about Got Urself a Gun. Never gets mentioned among the great Stillmatic tracks yet it's utterly bodied.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Illmatic
It Was Written
Stillmatic
God's Son
Lost Tapes
Distant Relatives
Untitled (depends on what you're looking for in the album)
Street's Disciples
I Am....
Hip Hop Is Dead
Nastradamus
The Firm

Edit - we should do more album vs. album discussions....could be interesting...someone else's turn :)
Yeah!

But I think you're too hard on the firm.

Check out this track (doesn't actually have Nas on it lol, but still awesome): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uu5yjRAN6Q

You might be right that HHID > The Firm. But I didn't really care for Untitled. And The Firm definitely > Nastradamus. Nastradamus was rushed like mad.

Also, sorry, but I liked SD more than God's Son. I think you guys are overrating God's son. Just my opinions.

i agree with that. It Was Written was hella dope, and of course Illmatic for first...

hip hop is dead wasnt that bad... actually i liked it. better than God's Son for me... I like God's Son but the style isn't the Nas i know and love... same lyricism of course.
Hip hop is Dead wasn't bad by any means, Nas just has a lot of amazing albums lol.

am i wrong or has every single Nas album gone platinum?
Distant Relatives definitely hasn't. It hasn't been out a long time.

and no lost tapes in there?
Woops, knew I forgot something. ;)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
well HHID has 4 solid tracks in Black Republican, Money Over Bull****, Still Dreaming and Blunt Ashes....everything else...smh.

i just listened to I Am again today. i can see why you'd put it over those 2. it had some really dope tracks. SD did too. only thing left for me to listen to is.....nastradamus again......still can't believe he did that track with ginuwine.

I think You're Da Man is underrated from stillmatic.

edit: i doubt distant relatives will ever go platinum.

the second disc for SD really dropped my rating for it, with exception to War, Me and You, Bridging the Gap, Getting Married and Virgo.

i thought American Way, Reason and You know my style were weak on the first disc.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
wiki just about never has it right. they said joe budden went platinum on a recent album lol. but still, it's usually not toooo far off. when it is, you can tell.

Niko45

Smash Master
I feel like Street's Disciple has enough tracks to make one solid regular album out of a double album, so it depends really how you judge it. Also, Street's Disciple (the track) is one of my favorite Nas tracks ever.

soap

Smash Hero
I feel like Street's Disciple has enough tracks to make one solid regular album out of a double album, so it depends really how you judge it. Also, Street's Disciple (the track) is one of my favorite Nas tracks ever.
Ha I usually feel the same way about all double albums.

like blueprint 2, All Eyes on me...

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Illmatic
It Was Written
Stillmatic
Lost Tapes
Hip Hop Is Dead (With Bonus tracks)
God's Son
Untitled (depends on what you're looking for in the album)
Distant Relatives
I Am....
Street's Disciples
Nastradamus (Even though I listen to it more than SD)
The Firm

QB's finest never happened.

I see Lost tapes lower than it should be usually, so many classics on that record for it to be low like that.

Hip Hop is dead is a mad creative album, I don't see why someone would rate it so low, it's not even like Nas' lyricism was off on that record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZNrIzVTuZQ

Streets disciple... idk yo lol I just didn't enjoy it, too many fillers and doesn't seem like Nas' style on some of this.

Check hip hop is dead again before you say it's trash.

Distant relatives is kind of boring to me since I don't listent to regge, all the time I was just waiting for Nas to come on when Damien was on lol.

Untitled, I see this album underrated too much, it's a themed album and not even that bad for one. Although We make the world go round is kinda commercial, some **** on there can be boring sometimes. The production was supposed to give some of a blues feel and that old black community music, idk I think it's just really into the concept.

soap

Smash Hero
I haven't really sat thru HHID, Street's Disciples, Nastradamus, and the Firm. I've heard most of the tracks haphazardly but didn't give it that album sit thru. So I will get on that

I really like a ton of Street's Disciples tracks tho.

"Women sucked juice from my urethra, while Marvin Gaye bumped from the speaker"

expect my complete list next week.

Top 5 that I don't expect to change

Illmatic
Stillmatic
Lost Tapes
It was written
God's son

I see alot It was written in like a mandatory 2 spot.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I haven't really sat thru HHID, Street's Disciples, Nastradamus, and the Firm. I've heard most of the tracks haphazardly but didn't give it that album sit thru. So I will get on that

I really like a ton of Street's Disciples tracks tho.

"Women sucked juice from my urethra, while Marvin Gaye bumped from the speaker"

expect my complete list next week.

Top 5 that I don't expect to change

Illmatic
Stillmatic
Lost Tapes
It was written
God's son

I see alot It was written in like a mandatory 2 spot.
Yeah really his albums from range # 2-4 sometimes 5 can be any range, they're all so good.
Eminem's worse song?

Rain Man

Ughhh .___. I hate that song with a passion.
Rain man worse than puke or *** like that? Well **** lol

Niko45

Smash Master
Rain Man is ****ing awesome idk what you guys are talking about. Seriously that song is hysterical and yes I still will bump that every blue moon.

Stillmatic vs It Was Written is actually really hard for me. Don't really know what to go with...

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I personally like stillmatic more. i'm having a tough time getting into it was written. sometimes, the lyrics for a track would be dope, but the chorus would be ehh.

i'm doing this comparison out of curiosity and don't answer if you haven't listened to both

Illmatic or Reasonable Doubt?

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea lots of lame hooks on It Was Written, but Nas is still really on point on that album. He's more on that Raekwon/Ghostface style mafioso rap which I don't care for as much as well. Still has some beast stracks (The Message, I Gave You Power, Take it in Blood, If I Ruled the World).

I also gotta go with Illmatic over RD. RD is more on that mellow tip which makes it my favorite if I'm really in that mood. Overall though I prefer the hype **** which Illmatic provides (really provides a better all-around sound to it). Really on any given day I could be feeling one album over the other, it's hard to really say.

Personally I'd like to compare Ready to Die vs Illmatic much more (prefer Ready to Die, greatest album ever imo).

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Illmatic >>>>>>> Reasonable Doubt. Reasonable Doubt is good, but for me, it doesn't have that replay value (it does have replay value, but not as much). Nas had dope beats, dope lyrics (on every track too), and his style changed from track to track. Well not his style, but his speed. He went from N.Y State of Mind which was like an attack of words, straight to Life's A ***** which had a laid back vibe. Almost every line is quotable too. His lyrical ability is insane on that album (I know I said it earlier). There's no other way to describe Nas on Illmatic, other than dope.

My favorite album is still tied between Black on Both Sides Black Star, and Train of Thought. But Illmatic was ****ing amazing.

Worst Em track is FACK. for sure.

And just because a strong has extreme vulgarity, doesn't mean it's bad. Check 75 Bars. dude said the n word like 50 times

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
hmmmm haven't listened to ready to die yet....

i had a feeling the general consensus would be illmatic but the two are still comparable.

life's a ***** is dope. people keep sayin nas got ate up by az on there, though. i don't really think so but cheah. random hip hop note: nas wrote NY State Of Mind when he was 17 0_0.

i'll come back with my ready to die review in a few hours. gotta let it play through a couple times. i hate when dudes listen to an album once and think they know its ins and outs smh.

boofy, you listen to joe? are you in that mood yet?

Top Bottom