• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
At least Gucci provides quality entertainment.
lol at "quality"

^i don't know how i feel about that statement.
i agree... nas' albums all sound good to me... even nastradamus is alright.

Lil Wayne is a Legend... Been putting in work. Best Rapper still doing it... nothing wrong with becoming more diverse to attract more of an audience....
lol imma sig this.

Oh goddddddd, a Lil Wayne meatrider.

Please tell me you're trolling.
thats what i thought too

hmmmm legend isn't the most ideal word for me when thinking about lil wayne.....maybe.....established....and he's not trolling, bruh. i know. weird lol.
lmao my words to describe him...

wack
raspy
confusing

Now this, is a fictional statement. The word legend implies someone of extraordinary skill, who will be worth noting for many generations after their pass. Timeless in other words. Has wayne achieved this status yet? No. Is that to say he's still not a competent artist? No. It's just to say he's nowhere near legend status yet. He's a decent rapper, better than many people give him credit for, but a legend....nah. Many rappers are "putting in work", are you saying he's putting in more work than the underground cats? Who stay in the studio for days on end, freestyling, battling, and straight up just trying to make a hit? Best rapper still doing it? I don't even know how to respond to that, because
1-The title best rapper is subjective in its self
2- "If rap was alive we'd be trying to be the best rappers ever, not the best rapper alive"
3- Even if I could define "Best Rapper Alive", I'm 100% sure that it simply would not be wayne.
Being diverse is one thing, but if you're going to do it at least attempt to sound like you know what you're doing. "Prom Queen".....No. Lupe Fiasco's "Solar Midnite"....**** yes.

agreed. pretty much at least. i dont think hes a good rapper at all, but of course thats all opinion and personal choice.

LuigiToilet- Best rapper to say A Milli is probably Asher.
even though i dislike asher, his thing was pretty good on that....

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Jay is one of those rappers that you have to intently listen to in order to really get what he's trying to say.

His points usually are no where near as apparent as when you listen to like....Eminem, or even someone deeper like Common or Lupe...

I'm not talking double meanings either. Like...some of his **** is surprisingly deep.

Of course...alot of his verses are 100% throw-away and are noticeably weak. Don't let those fool you though...Jay is a beast when he wants to be. Same with 50.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
wtf my smashboard nemesis has mod powers.

what horrible tragedy has befallen me.
nemesis? lol strong word.
Jay is one of those rappers that you have to intently listen to in order to really get what he's trying to say.

His points usually are no where near as apparent as when you listen to like....Eminem, or even someone deeper like Common or Lupe...

I'm not talking double meanings either. Like...some of his **** is surprisingly deep.

Of course...alot of his verses are 100% throw-away and are noticeably weak. Don't let those fool you though...Jay is a beast when he wants to be. Same with 50.
i wouldn't say as deep as lupe. most of his stuff is personal instead clever. he's actually surprisingly more lyrical than i though, truth be told lol.

and 50....man 50 was such a beast when he put out get rich or die tryin.....then he got rich and stopped tryin smh.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
i wouldn't say as deep as lupe. most of his stuff is personal instead clever. he's actually surprisingly more lyrical than i though, truth be told lol.

and 50....man 50 was such a beast when he put out get rich or die tryin.....then he got rich and stopped tryin smh.
Lupe can get deep, but I'm talking about tracks like Meet The Parents and D'Evils...All the while, he brings his own presence, doesn't have a stagnant flow (didn't used to at least, lol), and is pretty lyrical if you're talking multis and wordplay.

Ionno, maybe I shouldn't have went to Lupe, lmfao. Nucca's deep though.

And mah dood, have you heard Power of a Dollar? Like, I've mentioned it in this thread like 20 times, but I srsly can't get over how different 50 is from then to now.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i've listened to it. Ghetto Qu'ran >>>>>>>. 2003 and before was 50 beasting. afterwards, that niigga got lazy. he can still put out a good track every now and then but he's just not workin for it anymore.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
"money out the ***" is pretty graphic imagery.

think about it.

why do i keep bringing up that line... its stuck in my head i think

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I don't really have anything bad to say about any good rapper (Except Soldja Boy and a few handfuls)... I appreciate them all for displaying a wonderful piece of art.

And homeboy I'm far from a "Meat Rider"... Just because you don't approve of Wayne or whatever, don't disrespect me...ya dig?

What would describe a Legend then?

Wayne has put in work since being on BG's 1st Album.... I been rockin with Wayne from the Beginning. Most cats started jumpin ship around "Tha Carter Series"...then they would go back and listen to his older projects....and then claim "I've been listening to Wayne since Block is Hot"

I would say I'm more of a person who appreciates the music he puts out, rather than being a fan. I've listen to his flow elevate and change. He's grown into a beast. Sometimes the stuff he says is off the wall and maybe he overuses punchlines and Metaphors... But those are still entertaining nonetheless...

I can honestly say that "Lights Out" is a classic Album. Tha Carter 3 had classic record sales but, I wouldn't classify that as "classic" especially since it had Auto tunes on it.

Maybe I jumped the gun with Legend...but if he isn't a legend he is hands down on his way there.

Also, I use to listen to Jay Z until the Illumanati crap was brought up... There are a lot of things that people like to say to hurt someone's Rep... but when stuff makes sense once you look into...I just rather not be involved with the things he's doing... even though he is a monster with the Lyrics....I respect him for that though....

Linguini

Smash Master
i've been trying to get into jay-z lately. kind of a slow process but i'm getting there. just been listening to his hits lately.
Just getting into jay? ****. All his albums up until black album are worth copping,including dynasty(even though it wasn't meant to be HIS album),and if you start from reasonable doubt it's pretty cool to see how much his flow changed over time. Before he got into the whisper flow his style was ridiculously adaptable.

Niko45

Smash Master
I can agree on you on the boring flow part.

On Renegade, he was boring as ****, so I'd do something to occupy my time until Eminem's verse is on.
Posts like this just have me legitimately about to fall out of my chair. Jay-Z with a boring flow? Must be in the twilight zone or something. Don't just take it at Nas or anybody else's word that Jay got trashed on Renegade. I'm not gonna say his verses were all-out better or anything but he didn't get "ripped" in the slightest. Those Jay verses are absolutely raw as ****.

I had to hustle, my back to the wall
ashey knuckles
pockets filled with a lotta lint, not a cent
gotta vent, lotta innocent lives lost on the project bench
what you hollerin? gotta pay rent, bring dollars in
By the bodega
iron under my coat, feelin braver
doo rag wrappin my waves up
pockets full of hope

and etc...

Quote for mother****ing truth on that whole post. Don't be scared to throw Common or Lupe in there, either. They don't hold a candle to Jay in any aspect of rapping, including depth. Lupe deeper than Jay-Z? That's really funny, especially considering so much of Lupe's style is clearly fathered by Jay's. Only thing I'd clarify is that a lot of Jay's verses NOW are throwaways, but I have yet to find a single throwaway verse between 96-03. ****, and that includes all remixes, features, whatever. Everything is killed from his "prime."

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Posts like this just have me legitimately about to fall out of my chair. Jay-Z with a boring flow? Must be in the twilight zone or something. Don't just take it at Nas or anybody else's word that Jay got trashed on Renegade. I'm not gonna say his verses were all-out better or anything but he didn't get "ripped" in the slightest. Those Jay verses are absolutely raw as ****.

I had to hustle, my back to the wall
ashey knuckles
pockets filled with a lotta lint, not a cent
gotta vent, lotta innocent lives lost on the project bench
what you hollerin? gotta pay rent, bring dollars in
By the bodega
iron under my coat, feelin braver
doo rag wrappin my waves up
pockets full of hope

and etc...

Quote for mother****ing truth. Don't be scared to throw Common or Lupe in there, either. They don't hold a candle to Jay in any aspect of rapping, including depth. Lupe deeper than Jay-Z? That's really funny, especially considering so much of Lupe's style is clearly fathered by Jay's. Only thing I'd clarify is that a lot of Jay's verses NOW are throwaways, but I have yet to find a single throwaway verse between 96-03. ****, and that includes all remixes, features, whatever. Everything is killed from his "prime."
Lupe was influenced by It Was Written. not by Jay. and i've listened to renegade before. i didn't say he got ripped simply because nas is my favorite rapper, guy.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I thought Em had way better verses than Jay before I heard Stillmatic. I mean I won't lie, I'm a Nas fanboy but that didn't happen until afterwards.

And I dunno. No reason to get on my **** because I think Jay Z is boring and most people don't.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
sarcasm over the internet doesnt work lmao.

and jay is aiiight... reasonable doubt was good...
but i dont like him that much....

and illuminati is total bs... read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, like actually read it, surprisingly informative about illuminati stuff... conspiracy theories are ridiculous.

Niko45

Smash Master
Lupe was influenced by It Was Written. not by Jay. and i've listened to renegade before. i didn't say he got ripped simply because nas is my favorite rapper, guy.
Clearly lots of Jay influence in Lupe. Stop reading magazines. Go listen to Renegade again, then. And I'm not your guy, friend.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
You mean when lupe said favorite album was it was written and tried to structure food and liquor to sound like it? or how he got his name from the Firm album? or how he had nas in his top five artists? yeah.....way more jay influence there >_> and i'm not your friend, pal.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
You mean when lupe said favorite album was it as written and tried to structure food and liquor to sound like it? or how he got his name from a firm album? or how he had nas in his top fight artists? yeah.....way more jay influence there >_> and i'm not your friend, pal.
DAYUMMM
you can sort of tell that Lupe's delivery comes from Nas. It's really smooth, although different voice obv.

Niko45

Smash Master
You mean when lupe said favorite album was it was written and tried to structure food and liquor to sound like it? or how he got his name from the Firm album? or how he had nas in his top five artists? yeah.....way more jay influence there >_> and i'm not your friend, pal.
Well I'm not your...nvm lemme stop.

But honestly I remember reading that about It Was Written as well but I don't hear it at all betweeen Food & Liquor and It Was Written. Was never trying to compare Nas's influence to Jay's with Lupe but in any case, at the end of the day, Jay's still much deeper than Lupe.

soap

Smash Hero
oh my god. SO MANY THINGS...

this post will be edited.
I know right. we were through this before, but looks like from a different angle now.

I love jay's verses on renegade. Some of my favorite jay verses period. it complements ems very nicely. ("I drove by the fork in the road and went straight") I think about that quote alot actually. Making your own decisions and whatnot. There were alot of double meanings and wordplay, but mostly it just felt like a really heartfelt couple of verses.

Lupe always felt to me like a new school Nas stylistically. I'm still not that much into him, but I love the tracks that I do like. "Coupled with compositions from Pac, Nas' It Was Written, in the mix with my realities and feelings" (Lupe referencing Nas influence)

Arguing who influenced him more...I don't really care. Drake said Nas and andre 3000 influenced him while writing for his debut. I still just hear young money punchlines. But I'm cool with that. You can be influenced without sounding like them.

Jay really was a beast tho pre black album. Dynasty was slept on hard. Thats like right when kanye started producing for him. Dynasty Intro, Can't be life... I was really into Jay in high school. Now I like Nas more. Prolly cuz I'm only recently really getting into him this past year so it's fresher to me.

I didn't hear classic Nas **** on the radio growing up. I heard like "I know I can" and thought, lol this corny guy's a legend?

I love them both. But definitely more excited about Nas' next album right now

Jane

Smash Hero
**** it, new post lol

Now this, is a fictional statement. The word legend implies someone of extraordinary skill, who will be worth noting for many generations after their pass. Timeless in other words. Has wayne achieved this status yet? No. Is that to say he's still not a competent artist? No. It's just to say he's nowhere near legend status yet. He's a decent rapper, better than many people give him credit for, but a legend....nah. Many rappers are "putting in work", are you saying he's putting in more work than the underground cats? Who stay in the studio for days on end, freestyling, battling, and straight up just trying to make a hit? Best rapper still doing it? I don't even know how to respond to that, because
1-The title best rapper is subjective in its self
2- "If rap was alive we'd be trying to be the best rappers ever, not the best rapper alive"
3- Even if I could define "Best Rapper Alive", I'm 100% sure that it simply would not be wayne.
Being diverse is one thing, but if you're going to do it at least attempt to sound like you know what you're doing. "Prom Queen".....No. Lupe Fiasco's "Solar Midnite"....**** yes.

LuigiToilet- Best rapper to say A Milli is probably Asher.
albino, i really like the way you present your opinions. i agree with almost everything, +respect sir.

I've actually been listening to the grey album quite abit lately, mostly cause of dangermouse's amazing coppin an choppin, but jay has a pretty nice flow.
always wanted to listen to this! downloading now.

Please look into Jay more, he's definitely an extremely gifted artist. Probably one of the best to do it. Oh yes, I went there haha. *But the safety net of "One of" saved me =]*
there needs to be some "some of the best to ever do it" lists. instead of ranking rappers like a numerically based power ranking, a list of those able to be considered "among the best" thatd be tight.

i might do one later.

jay is easily on par with lupe as far as deepness goes. "deepness" is very subjective doe.

haha got riched and stopped tryin xD. im gonna listen to power of the dollar tomorrow.

just to say again all yall hatin on weezy is crazy. that boy got the imagery and the wordplay barely rivaled. it takes a certain kind of craziness to say the goofy **** he does and get away with it. so #respect
THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS. ALL OF IT.

He's grown into a beast.
definitely.

...but if he isn't a legend he is hands down on his way there.
for sure. wayne's presence and lasting influence on the game is undeniable.

There are a lot of things that people like to say to hurt someone's Rep... but when stuff makes sense once you look into...I just rather not be involved with the things he's doing... even though he is a monster with the Lyrics....I respect him for that though....
naaa dog. its just bull**** haha

Before he got into the whisper flow his style was ridiculously adaptable.
what a great way to put it.

i lold.

Quote for mother****ing truth on that whole post. Don't be scared to throw Common or Lupe in there, either. They don't hold a candle to Jay in any aspect of rapping, including depth. Lupe deeper than Jay-Z? That's really funny, especially considering so much of Lupe's style is clearly fathered by Jay's. Only thing I'd clarify is that a lot of Jay's verses NOW are throwaways, but I have yet to find a single throwaway verse between 96-03. ****, and that includes all remixes, features, whatever. Everything is killed from his "prime."
im so glad youre here so i dont have to defend jay at all. xD you just always say everything that needs to be said beautifully ahah

Clearly lots of Jay influence in Lupe. Stop reading magazines. Go listen to Renegade again, then.
lol qft

And I'm not your guy, friend.
nd i'm not your friend, pal.
UR DOIN IT WRONG! it was buddy, not pal hahah :p

god i love the discussion in this thread. lol

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
T3h Albino...are you Alby from the chat?

I'm not ur guy, buddy!

I'm not ur buddy, friend!

I'm not ur friend, guy!

<<<<Southpark

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Jay hasn't impressed me in a long time. When I play The Black Album I don't even feel it like I used to. Jay's material doesn't move me anymore, apart from the odd exceptions like Song Cry. Jay has so many club bangers though.

And **** smashboards and my phone. Whenever I check my subscriptions on my phone I always press unsubscribe instead of last page by accident. ****ing annoying as ****.

Cam'ron and Vado work well together. HHHUUUUUUUNNNNHHHHHHH. Favourite ad-lib at the moment.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Jay hasn't impressed me in a long time. When I play The Black Album I don't even feel it like I used to. Jay's material doesn't move me anymore, apart from the odd exceptions like Song Cry. Jay has so many club bangers though.

And **** smashboards and my phone. Whenever I check my subscriptions on my phone I always press unsubscribe instead of last page by accident. ****ing annoying as ****.

Cam'ron and Vado work well together. HHHUUUUUUUNNNNHHHHHHH. Favourite ad-lib at the moment.
Reasonable Doubt impressed me, im not gonna lie, it was amazing. After that, the only thing that I thought was really good was 99 Problems...

I'm playing A Song for Assata now.

Jay better than Lupe...? Oh God >_< Anyway yea. very excited for the new Nas album droppin.
lmao.

say WHAAAAA? new album? :O

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
****...this last page is just to much of a read

so seeing as I don't really have a good view on rap (not saying I don't listen to it I just don't keep up with it as well)

how about that TREY SONGZ???

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
&quot;So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K688ZSwaGEQ

:p

Boy got some great lines in his work. His earlier stuff is **** but if you look from like drought 2 onward when he is really puttin in the work to be good... Whoever described a legend as someone who works hard, dude works hella hard. I don't think that being underground or not mainstream gives one's work any more value, either.

Also, Jay Z is kinda boring. I never get excited when I hear his verses anymore, lol. I just get so tired of him since black album acapella is used for every amateur dj remix ever.

VIVA LA HOVA
GREY ALBUM
COLLISION COURSE
PURPLE ALBUM
THE BLACK CHRONIC

piss off.

Top Bottom