• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
?

His lyrics are what make Aesop Rock stand out. They're simply too unique.

I hate it when people make assumptions. That wasn't my mentality regarding the situation, and posting really large blanket statements doesn't accomplish anything.

Mainstream music consists of zero talent. I'm advocating music that does possess talent.

Technicalities aside, wouldn't enlightenment be for the better?

Conformity restricts creativity and originality, it supresses and limits ideas.
dude, it's music. not an ideology. mainstream can/does have talented artists. may not be to your nor my liking but if a person is actually able to get millions of people to listen in on their music, no matter how generic it is, it takes some level of talent. i mean, yeah, music can incite new ideas and what not, but if the particular sound of the music is so limited that the average person can't enjoy it, i don't think a person should be berated or criticized because they choose not to listen. of course if i had my choice, i'd remove/add different artists into a mainstream circuit, but i've already learned that most people can't stand underground artists.

PS: i still hate aesop rock :)

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
?

His lyrics are what make Aesop Rock stand out. They're simply too unique.

I hate it when people make assumptions. That wasn't my mentality regarding the situation, and posting really large blanket statements doesn't accomplish anything.

Mainstream music consists of zero talent. I'm advocating music that does possess talent.

Technicalities aside, wouldn't enlightenment be for the better?

Conformity restricts creativity and originality, it supresses and limits ideas.
i mean his lyrics are good. but i just cant stand his voice. like you can be dope as **** and your voice sucks like that, i do not wanna listen to you.

also you conform if you want. you can say your ideas if you want, nobodys gonna stop you.

Lupe may be dropping Atlantic Records cuz of the Lasers thing.

And considering he's already put out a single for TGARA, it's looking kinda high.
that makes sense.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
i hate when people use word conformist. makes people feel special for being different, yet the same. people like what they like. lay off of them.
But that's not what a conformist is...I can see your argument for it being misused, but conforming is something that people actually do. Especially in the rap culture, people definitely conform...and that goes for underground fans too, who listen to strictly underground.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
But that's not what a conformist is...I can see your argument for it being misused, but conforming is something that people actually do. Especially in the rap culture, people definitely conform...and that goes for underground fans too, who listen to strictly underground.
whoa whoa hold up. im not conforming to anything. just because i like underground hip hop more than mainstream club hits does not make me conform to the underground. i like nas, the roots, blu, fashawn, etc. i am in no way conforming to underground music only. i listen to underground because i like it. and i listen to jazz, funk, soul, etc. im not conforming in any way.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with Aesop's voice. It's not exactly his voice, but rather that I can't hear what the **** he's saying. His voice actually sounds pretty cool over the beats he usually rhymes over, but he tries to be all super lyrical over cramming syllables into verses. I dig that style, but sometimes he goes overboard. Also, I think a lot of what he says is actually mumbo jumbo. If someone disagrees I'll look up some lyrics for you. That goes for a lot of songwriters who like to use wordplay and other techniques because I know sometimes Bob Dylan will sprinkle some nonsense between some genius lines. I actually like Aesop but I felt I should point out some of his flaws because I sense somebody coming along claiming he's perfect or something and all rap that doesn't sound like him sucks.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
im completely relaxed........ just saying. i disagree with PolarBear's statement.

edit: ^^^ agree, except i just dont like his voice. like it hurts my ears when i listen to him. ive tried but im unable to listen to him....
and also, cant hear anything he says.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
whoa whoa hold up. im not conforming to anything. just because i like underground hip hop more than mainstream club hits does not make me conform to the underground. i like nas, the roots, blu, fashawn, etc. i am in no way conforming to underground music only. i listen to underground because i like it. and i listen to jazz, funk, soul, etc. im not conforming in any way.
Oh no, I wasn't pointing that to you. From what I've seen you seem like an open minded person that likes something on your own. Just trying to say conformism isn't strictly in the mainstream and wasn't trying to use you as an example.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Oh no, I wasn't pointing that to you. From what I've seen you seem like an open minded person that likes something on your own.
oh. lol. i thought you meant in general.

yeah thanks. lol.

but i know what you mean. i mean some people say stuff like oh ___ is crap hes mainstream all mainstream sucks listen to underground or youre stupid and a loser and have no reason to listen to music.

i mean, sure i think a lot of mainstream is flat out wack, but theres some mainstream songs i like... i'm yours by jason mraz is doooope. its a great song. and sublime has good songs too. theyre popular.

but yeah. i dislike mainstream Hip Hop because of the ehhh lyrics, unnatural beats, autotune, and lack of skill. oh and commitment. do you see lil wayne going on Def Jam Poetry? i dont think so.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i didn't say people don't conform. i just don't think it's right to label someone as a conformist because they like something that a bunch of other people like.

All some of my favorite disses. The Jadakiss - Problem Child track is just as hard as checkmate. "Can't really figure this clown out, where is he from? Jamaica Queens, Cali, or down South?" The 50 song dissing Jada "I run New York" is also hard as hell, just not really the greatest of direct disses.

Budden is just a great disser in general.

I'd say Blueprint 2 has to be one of my favorite disses as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg8hgYHQov0 **** goes hard, no one seems to acknowledge it tho.
i actually listened to that after you mentioned it earlier in the thread....**** is dope lol. and i will be checking out problem child shortly...

Man, is there anything better than Ortiz over a hard beat these days? I certainly can't think of anything.
joell is dope. he needs to go ahead and drop free agent before he loses his buzz and ends up like papoose.

.Marik

is a social misfit
i mean his lyrics are good. but i just cant stand his voice. like you can be dope as **** and your voice sucks like that, i do not wanna listen to you.
LOL.

This is going to sound a lot like "no johns" but I'm deaf and Aesop Rock is my idolized lyrical savant.

I'm not going to deny, that he is nearly impossible to understand by his voice alone, I need his lyrics posted somewhere to follow the song.

dude, it's music. not an ideology. mainstream can/does have talented artists. may not be to your nor my liking but if a person is actually able to get millions of people to listen in on their music, no matter how generic it is, it takes some level of talent. i mean, yeah, music can incite new ideas and what not, but if the particular sound of the music is so limited that the average person can't enjoy it, i don't think a person should be berated or criticized because they choose not to listen. of course if i had my choice, i'd remove/add different artists into a mainstream circuit, but i've already learned that most people can't stand underground artists.
But that's not conformity. Conformity consists of joining, engaging, or promoting something because society does it, and not necessarily because you enjoy that activity as an individual. This includes music.

PS: i still hate aesop rock :)
Haters gonna hate. :yoshi:

I have to agree with Aesop's voice. It's not exactly his voice, but rather that I can't hear what the **** he's saying. His voice actually sounds pretty cool over the beats he usually rhymes over, but he tries to be all super lyrical over cramming syllables into verses. I dig that style, but sometimes he goes overboard. Also, I think a lot of what he says is actually mumbo jumbo. If someone disagrees I'll look up some lyrics for you. That goes for a lot of songwriters who like to use wordplay and other techniques because I know sometimes Bob Dylan will sprinkle some nonsense between some genius lines. I actually like Aesop but I felt I should point out some of his flaws because I sense somebody coming along claiming he's perfect or something and all rap that doesn't sound like him sucks.
Actually, Aesop Rock makes complete sense.

In order to understand his lyrical content, you have to decipher his rhymes first. Trust me, his music is completely filled with messages. Powerful, political, and deep messages. But like a puzzle, you need to assemble several parts to get a full picture.

With Aesop, his music is abstract. You need to interpret his rhymes, and then sort of think about them in a different perspective.

"None Shall Pass" is anti-government, and the song "Pigs" is anti-capitalism.

"Same Space- The Tugboat Complex Part 2" is a reflection of a dystopic society, and the list goes on.

It all boils down to opinion, but Aesop Rock definitely isn't garbage. He's an acquired taste.

Blue, what record labels do you like? I'm interested in music you enjoy.

Just wanted to add, no hate, only love. My opinion is mine, and everyone else's is their own. I'm only creating discussion, hopefully I can learn more about various artists.

Long post, time to rest.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
LOL.

This is going to sound a lot like "no johns" but I'm deaf and Aesop Rock is my idolized lyrical savant.

I'm not going to deny, that he is nearly impossible to understand by his voice alone, I need his lyrics posted somewhere to follow the song.

But that's not conformity. Conformity consists of joining, engaging, or promoting something because society does it, and not necessarily because you enjoy that activity as an individual. This includes music.

Haters gonna hate. :yoshi:

Actually, Aesop Rock makes complete sense.

In order to understand his lyrical content, you have to decipher his rhymes first. Trust me, his music is completely filled with messages. Powerful, political, and deep messages. But like a puzzle, you need to assemble several parts to get a full picture.

With Aesop, his music is abstract. You need to interpret his rhymes, and then sort of think about them in a different perspective.

"None Shall Pass" is anti-government, and the song "Pigs" is anti-capitalism.

"Same Space- The Tugboat Complex Part 2" is a reflection of a dystopic society, and the list goes on.

It all boils down to opinion, but Aesop Rock definitely isn't garbage. He's an acquired taste.

Blue, what record labels do you like? I'm interested in hearing your type of rap. Any suggestions?

Just wanted to add, no hate, only love. My opinion is mine, and everyone else's is their own. I'm only creating discussion, hopefully I can learn more about various artists.

Long post, time to rest.
no i mean honestly. i cannot understand his voice at all.
even if i had the lyrics, its too much hassle. and his voice just like hurts my ears.

hes not garbage, i just dont like him.

Hip Hop isnt only lyrical content.

and Mos Def >>>>>>>>>

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
yo my brothas.

i changed my opinion on lil wayne. dude is mad nice.

"Money money money get a dollar and a d***
Weezy Baby that crack, motherf***er get a fix
Got money out the a**, no homo but I'm rich"

money out the a**. what a f***ing genius.
mos def aint got **** on this. LOOK OUT SON

rhan

Smash Hero
I like like 2 songs by Wiz Khalifa.

Material and the other I can't remember.
You obviously haven't heard One Way and This Plane. Or Ink My Whole Body. Or anything else from B.A.R.

LOL @ Cookie bringing up Weezy Ambitions. ****'s mad old but nice. Wayne's punchlines are just too good to ignore.

rhan

Smash Hero
I wasn't. I fux with Wayne since 500 degrees. I grew up with Wayne. His older stuff like that is better then what he's got now.

Apparently you was kidding but eh. My opinion is mine and no one can take that away.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
......................................................................... O.O
dude said he got into the rap game at 9 and started hustlin at 11. and all of his "freestyles" are just pre-written songs that have already been used. and also he claims hes a blood or a crip (or both i dont even know) but he's from NEW ORLEANS.

rhan

Smash Hero
If you produce good **** I don't give a **** what you claim to do outside of business.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
If you produce good **** I don't give a **** what you claim to do outside of business.
but it all goes to your credibility. its like... if youre a police man like Rick Ross talking about hustlin and stuff. like all of that is fake dude.

but w/e. if you like him thats your choice

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Ross is hella wack though. You can't compare the two.
lol well its the same idea. to me at least

Who cares? If you like the music it shouldn't matter at all.
the thing is i dont like the music. and if you say you kill people every day and the police are on your tail and youve been locked up but you have no criminal record then come on. (just a random thought, nobody i can think of is like this so dont tell me that)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
lol well its the same idea. to me at least

the thing is i dont like the music. and if you say you kill people every day and the police are on your tail and youve been locked up but you have no criminal record then come on. (just a random thought, nobody i can think of is like this so dont tell me that)
Oh, well that's fine but I don't think credibility is a very good thing to criticize someone over. Does it bug you that Em probably doesn't **** and murder dozens of women even though he raps about how he does so?

Niko45

Smash Master
Aesop Rock is ****ing terrible.

Try to throw Aesop Rock on at a party people will be like wtf is this.

Try to listen to it by yourself in your headphones...and you'll be like wtf is this.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Try to listen to it by yourself in your headphones...and you'll be like wtf is this.
Yeah but Marik is deaf, so it all makes sense.

Anyways, going back to that Kanye track Monster again.

Nicki Minaj killed EVERYONE on that track. fckng amazing.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman

this, aesop sucks imo
edit that was my 444th post. well spent

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Oh, well that's fine but I don't think credibility is a very good thing to criticize someone over. Does it bug you that Em probably doesn't **** and murder dozens of women even though he raps about how he does so?
eh. i dont really care. i dont like em anymore.

but i mean its not even like lil wayne says hes a blood or whatever in his songs. he says that stuff in like interviews and stuff, its ****ing ridiculous.

yuppppp

Anyways, going back to that Kanye track Monster again.

Nicki Minaj killed EVERYONE on that track. fckng amazing.
yupppppp
and its eh. she was okay but i mean ive heard way better. the baby voice was kinda like.... eh.

jean grae is the best current female mc. otherwise the crown will go to queen latifah of course. next is mc lyte.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
eh. i dont really care. i dont like em anymore.

but i mean its not even like lil wayne says hes a blood or whatever in his songs. he says that stuff in like interviews and stuff, its ****ing ridiculous.

oh word? that's a different story then.

and its eh. she was okay but i mean ive heard way better. the baby voice was kinda like.... eh.
it's not the greatest verse of all time or anything. but I think it's heads above every other verse on that track. It reminds me of ODB on "Mystery of Chessboxin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6jwab3HWk

I love that manic, schizo-style spitting. I guess I can see why some people don't like it though

jean grae is the best current female mc. otherwise the crown will go to queen latifah of course. next is mc lyte.[/QUOTE]

Jane

Smash Hero
gah, ill try to keep this shortish lol.

that kanye/raekwon/JB was... decent

that joell was niiice. prog i miss ya ;<

i hate when people use word conformist. makes people feel special for being different, yet the same. people like what they like. lay off of them.
this. all of this.

cookie, havent you hated on wayne enough? lol...

i literally lold. haha good ****

luigi, jesus ****ing christ. 98% of the time you post i agree with or laugh (with you) at whatever it is youre saying lmao

marik, im sorry to say i also dont like aesop :[ his weird style is just too hard to get into for me

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion

hahahaha these are my 2 favorite comments right now.

"Woke up early on my born day, I'm twenty years of blessing

The essence of adolescent leaves my body now I'm fresh in

My physical frame is celebrated cause I made it

One quarter through life some God-ly like thing created"

It's my birthday today, nukkas. Gotta find something to do this weekend.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Keep sipping that haterade.

I'm also not -completely- deaf, common sense should tell you that. Just moderately hearing impaired.

He may be hard to "get into" for some people, but I like his style and use of imagery.

soap

Smash Hero
chill out cookie.

anyways, I've been listening to mad TLC lately. it's like i'm in fifth grade again! RIP Left Eye :<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2gy1Evb1Kg&ob=av2n
Ever since The Other Guys TLC has been on heavy rotation

cuz I ain't too proud to beg

And you gotta like what you like.

speaking of that. Who is in your music library that you are like, embarrased to like somewhat

Like my friend'll be going thru my music, and be like wtf avril lavigne?

Get off my nuts son

Niko45

Smash Master
oh word? that's a different story then.

it's not the greatest verse of all time or anything. but I think it's heads above every other verse on that track. It reminds me of ODB on "Mystery of Chessboxin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6jwab3HWk

I love that manic, schizo-style spitting. I guess I can see why some people don't like it though

jean grae is the best current female mc. otherwise the crown will go to queen latifah of course. next is mc lyte.
I've always liked Lauryn Hill, but I include bonus points for her singing. Honestly though, the Nikki comparison to ODB is actually pretty legit somehow. I think she should tone down her animated-ness a bit, but I'm glad somebody is using that style at least.

Anyways, some other nice diss tracks I forgot. I didn't see these mentioned, I apologize if they already were:

Canibus - 2nd Round Knockout (LL Diss) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYklzKQpfs

Eminem - Girls (Limp Bizkit Diss) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdgQlzbEtRI

Dr. Dre & Obie Trice - **** Hits the Fan (Ja Rule diss) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPE8_TZ3Nns

50 Cent - Be a Gentleman (Jay-Z Diss) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7QFKIZknc

50 Cent - Nobody Likes Me (Ja Rule Diss) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAaL_f6CDMA

Dam...50 used to be so dope.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

speaking of that. Who is in your music library that you are like, embarrased to like somewhat

Get off my nuts son
Lady Gaga
Le Tigre
Rasputina
the entire Smashing Pumpkins discography
That Justin Timberlake album that came out a couple years ago

oh well, at least the girls usually like Gaga and Timberlake

rhan

Smash Hero

Get off my nuts son
I got Taylor Swift in mine. lmao! Avril is good too. Hell I listen to **** that is gooooood if you hate good music GTFO!

50 was so legit on Get Rich or Die Tryin. But then everything else was like.... poot.

Top Bottom