• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wofl Q&A/Social

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I suppose I could try wifi. Keep in mind I've been playing Brawl for 2 days, so I'm pretty bad. I've also never done wifi before. Does it work well?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Hahahaha, Wi-Fi.

Oh man, that's cute.

Eh, I guess it's okay for practising, just don't pick up any Wi-Fi habits.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Were you at the NCSU on Saturday? Did I meet you?

What sort of habits are there on wifi? I'm new to this whole "Brawl" thing.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Wifi is the training grounds before you get to the good offline. Essentially, you'd use it to learn various match ups and get an overall feel of what you should be doing, but lag typically ruins things and makes smash spam appear useful, for lack of a better example. Wifi habits just refer to silly things you can get away with online that you normally wouldn't be able to pull offline, like mashing that Cstick in whichever direction your opponent is. Just remember to learn what you can from it, have fun, and don't take it at all seriously.

Japan wifi is a whole other story though.

Also Joe at least you still have us :shiro:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Were you at the NCSU on Saturday? Did I meet you?

What sort of habits are there on wifi? I'm new to this whole "Brawl" thing.
I was not unfortunately.

It was 2 hours and 45 mins from where I was. Tiger's mom wanted to spend more time with her and so did I (She came down for easter weekend around late Wednesday last week. I came down March 30th and stayed till Sunday afternoon). We really wanted to go, but time was not on our side.

We were actually considering going and winning teams+singles with my gf/brawl partner. Seeing the results, I'm pretty sure I'd of easily gotten top 3 in singles and top 2 in dubs. Tiger also said she'd of gotten top 5 in singles and top 2 in dubs with me.
Seagull, i like you :D

And it'll be okay.
Get a waifu pillow that looks like her.

:D
That sounds cool, but then I'd never leave my room :smirk:.

:018:

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Hm. maybe you should make an "artificial body part" of sorts, using your girlfriend as the model.

I know they can do that for males using certain rubbers :D

and i know you know what i mean ;)

As a side note: This weekend i'm hosting Come To Papa 2, which has mid tier doubles and i'm going to use alot of wolf so i can get vids. I'm really angry none of my **** gets uploaded.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I recorded all the latter Brawl games, so if you'd come I would have had some cool vids of your wolf to learn from. Next NCSU we're both at you should say hi, and we can Wolf ditto or something. My Wolf should be better by then.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I recorded all the latter Brawl games, so if you'd come I would have had some cool vids of your wolf to learn from. Next NCSU we're both at you should say hi, and we can Wolf ditto or something. My Wolf should be better by then.
Kk. You can always check my channel. It's in my sig. I also suggest Kain's vids (Wherever they are lol).

:018:

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
i'm waiting on Vengeance vids

should be hype

rsr2

Smash Lord
Hahahaha, Wi-Fi.

Oh man, that's cute.

Eh, I guess it's okay for practising, just don't pick up any Wi-Fi habits.
Like I said. To practice. Not like I am going to do just wifi for the rest of the time I play brawl >_>

I find to be better practice than what I got now though because my friends and I rarely can get together maybe once every 2 weeks or so because of work, college, etc.

Also post 600 awwww yeah

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Alaska is a pretty cool place

has nothing on Oymyakon though

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Don't be scared to take a break, you can just hang out with us on the w0fl boards. Come back with that strong second wind when you're feeling more up to it, could be exactly what you need.

Or just force yourself to play because you're awesome and we all love you, not to mention you're currently a top 5 Wolf :upsidedown:

Life's a ***** sometimes, don't let it get you down. Sometimes all it takes is a couple days of some alone time to catch up with yourself, do what makes you happy. Give yourself a breather.

anyways time for this Wolf to finally get some sleep, hope all is good over there Shiro my boy.

:shiro:

tekkie

Smash Master
got 9th out of thirtysomething at a regional

looks like kain got 2nd out of fortysomething at one

****ing kain goddamn swankiest ho ever

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
So what's the verdict with Flash planking? I'm not talking Laser Plank, I mean doing a Ledge Drop Wavebounce HC Flash, ignoring the first few frames of ledge grab for the initial "dangerous" part of our Flash. Haven't seen it discussed ever and I've never really seen or heard of a Wolf who uses it effectively in matches. It's still something i'm toying with, but I was just curious if anyone else knows about it, seeing as it appears to be a very useful tactic. It can be done in rapid succession and can act as a mix-up between our planks. If someone tries to punish, it usually results in a sweetspot Flash, knockback or spike. It can also reach some characters up top if they're standing to close. Best on SV and BF i'd assume so far, the wavebounce isn't absolutely necessary but it adds that little extra touch that makes it more scary. Along with buffering of course. It's like using a long range Flash to hit someone when you're coming back off stage before you grab the ledge, just closer.

Easier method would be to just drop and Flash while ignoring the ledge, but I prefer the HC to regular.

I'm sure it's vulnerable and stuff, especially since the inputs can go so wrong, but I was just sort of wondering everyone's thoughts.

:wolf:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
got 9th out of thirtysomething at a regional

looks like kain got 2nd out of fortysomething at one

****ing kain goddamn swankiest ho ever
Good ****, vids?

^this.

I got 33rd after losing wr2 and forfeiting in losers. I just wasn't feeling it that day. >_>

:phone:
I don't get why people forfeit unless they have to go work or something like that.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
Well I had plans and the tournament ran later than I thought it would. Thus my forfeit.

On top of that I just didn't want to play anymore after losing to DeLux. I found out I'm not that experienced against ICs from that. Our first game on SV (my first mistake) I just played it like it was D3 because I wasn't certain what I should do. >_> Then on my cp I was just too aggro and careless.

:phone:

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
ICs are such a stressful match up in the best way, definitely one of my favorite MUs right now. It's all about them footsies, yo.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Ew, fighting ICs :urg:

So what's the verdict with Flash planking? I'm not talking Laser Plank, I mean doing a Ledge Drop Wavebounce HC Flash, ignoring the first few frames of ledge grab for the initial "dangerous" part of our Flash. Haven't seen it discussed ever and I've never really seen or heard of a Wolf who uses it effectively in matches. It's still something i'm toying with, but I was just curious if anyone else knows about it, seeing as it appears to be a very useful tactic. It can be done in rapid succession and can act as a mix-up between our planks. If someone tries to punish, it usually results in a sweetspot Flash, knockback or spike. It can also reach some characters up top if they're standing to close. Best on SV and BF i'd assume so far, the wavebounce isn't absolutely necessary but it adds that little extra touch that makes it more scary. Along with buffering of course. It's like using a long range Flash to hit someone when you're coming back off stage before you grab the ledge, just closer.

Easier method would be to just drop and Flash while ignoring the ledge, but I prefer the HC to regular.

I'm sure it's vulnerable and stuff, especially since the inputs can go so wrong, but I was just sort of wondering everyone's thoughts.

:wolf:
What does HC stand for, half-cancel? Because I honestly don't see the point in either the wavebounce or the cancel :x but it doesn't sound like you're talking about cancelling, do you mean holding down so that the hitbox comes out?

Anyways, in the event that is what you're talking about lol, I think it's a decent addition. I used to do that sparingly (ledge drop > sideB to ledge with hitbox coming out), not quite sure why I stopped... probably because lightstepping looks so much cooler xD but yeah, I mean, it's good because you save your double jump, but I don't think you can hold down and have the hitbox come out while right by the ledge and still end up scarring in the event of a successful ledgehog :x although if you're using it intelligently it's probably next to impossible for them to have enough time, idk.

Sounds like something to look into more though, especially along with the close-range lightstep that JCav posted. I'll try it out and let you know how it goes later in the week :) hooray for developing our ledge game xD

:059:

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Yeah the wavebounce isn't really necessary like I said, it just moves you that tiny bit potentially out of harms way, and I find HC much safer and overall more rewarding than regular Flash. I definitely meant Half Cancel by HC, lol. Just figured you guys would be sick of me saying cancel after every other word :awesome: Oh and I meant holding down on top of using Half Cancel, before re-grabbing the ledge.

With Half Cancel, you've buffered a scar if you get hit, and you hang over the ledge a little longer while also protecting it possibly making it an effective edgeguard. Regular Flash just seems sooo punishable and sluggish. The only benefit I see to using regular is for better aim (hitbox), but HC can be done very rapidly with proper buffering. I just use standard Flash long range, aka when i'm close enough to abuse it but still far enough to need it.

I've got tons of tricks, I've been sort of selfish with my knowledge in the past and was afraid of other Wofls using my tricks but.. Where's the sense in that, right? Not that i'm some all-knowing Wolf god or anything, I just like to create janky stuff with our moveset, that not every Wolf would know :reverse:. Wolf boards are definitely a pack and I feel like i've taken so much from here without contributing at all, not that my stuff is exactly game-breaking or anything.

But yeah, +1 for more dumb ledge tricks :D

JCav

Smash Lord
Ish, so far I've found out that you can CONTINUOUSLY LIGHTSTEP WITHOUT USING A DOUBLE JUMP.

But, it's really hard. I've been able to do it on Smashville and Battlefield. I didn't know there was another lightstepping spot that was closer to the stage O.o

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I just pretend to be good at video games.

I'm bad at mega man and every single tournament in Nebraska has been me vs 8-19 cats. ResTy is the 2nd best videogame playing cat in our state.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
@ Sinister: lol that little bit is much appreciated though, far too often do I have characters like Marth and Sheik just run out and fair me for staying too close, although I still don't know how much distance the wavebounce gives. I always find it odd that people call it a half-cancel because there's only two cancels so they might as well be called short and long lol. I assume HC refers to the longer one though?

I'm having a tough time understanding how the cancel buffers into a scar if you get hit though... and you're saying you're using the weak sideB hit to edgeguard? @_@ You should definitely send me a replay of what you're talking about, idk, I think this is something that will be a lot clearer shown in a match than described with words lol X_x since you said something about edgeguarding, do you mean to say you use this while the opponent is recovering?

Agreed btw haha, what good is knowledge if you're not sharing it? :p we all have our fair share of silly tricks, and the more the merrier ;D

EDIT: @ JCav: Dude... I need to get on this. So fast, such a good mixup, askdfaksdn people already fall for something as silly as lightstep > (drop a bit) scar, so this, I don't even know. Also, can you say infinite ledge presence for edgeguarding? Hooooooooly crap, man. After the lightstep (or after dropping from the stage), do you hold any direction to drift before the sideB?

EDIT2: Just pulled it off once @___@ I usually end up telestepping though...

JCav

Smash Lord
After the lightstep (or after dropping from the stage), do you hold any direction to drift before the sideB?

EDIT2: Just pulled it off once @___@ I usually end up telestepping though...

Just hold toward the stage the entire time, the area to correctly lightstep is really small, and you will telestep most of the time. I'm drooling over the possibilities as much as you are :awesome:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
skdfjskdfnvskdfvn silly tricks, they sustain me lol

Some other stuff, idk if everyone knows but you can ledgehop blaster and then regrab the ledge if you're next to frame-perfect, I've done it twice in the last few minutes I've spent messing around with various things in training. Also, you can have the hitbox for dair come out before landing from a platform drop on BF's lower platforms, but that's also kinda tough. Idk, I used to be better at that, but I'm not doing so well right now lol. Not quite sure how practical either of these are, but just throwing them out there I suppose.

EDIT: DID IT AGAIN! Wheee :3

Some more silly tricks, lightstep > dair gives you enough time to still recover if you're quick and looks hella awesome, sh bair > sideB will land you on one of the lower platforms if you start on ground level (might be good for chasing).

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Jcav, your last ledge trick game video is the last video I watched in regards to ledge tricks other than a post that Sinister made a while back.

iow you guys need to show me your moves and ****.

JCav

Smash Lord
Some other stuff, idk if everyone knows but you can ledgehop blaster and then regrab the ledge if you're next to frame-perfect, I've done it twice in the last few minutes I've spent messing around with various things in training. Also, you can have the hitbox for dair come out before landing from a platform drop on BF's lower platforms, but that's also kinda tough. Idk, I used to be better at that, but I'm not doing so well right now lol. Not quite sure how practical either of these are, but just throwing them out there I suppose.

These are all things that I think all wofls should be doing, I'm with you on those lol. I need to discover enough new tricks to come out with a new 2012 edition video.

Makes me wish I never would have been inactive lol

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
A few questions after continuing to work on my wolf. Oh, and I've got the hang of DACUS now. I'm happy about that.

As a Melee player Wolf's Dair seems pretty good. However, I'm thinking the Brawl physics make it a lot worse. Am I right about this? It seems like an air dodge could save them, and since air dodging doesn't put them into free fall in this game, they could then KO me, and recover.

If I cancel sideB, I seem to have a lot of horizontal momentum. Would it be smart to use this to quickly jump across a stage (e.g. FD), or is it about as fast as running? If I'm trying to recover and don't think I'll be able to make it, would cancelling my sideB give me enough momentum to get back to stage?

Are there ever any opportunities to travel under Battlefield/Smashville in a fight, or is just something cool you're never actually going to use?

Wolf's a lot of fun to use.

Top Bottom