• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wishlist of stuff for smash bros for switch

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I want some veteran movesets redone (see my Mario moveset) https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...h-because-why-not.448305/page-2#post-21961383
Luigi needs his vacuum in his moveset.
Multiple Final Smashes would be nice. Instead of pressing B to unleash it, you could use Taunts to fire off one of four Final Smashes, and give every character at least one controllable Final Smash, as those are my favorites. Speaking of taunts, a fourth taunt would be nice.
I'd like to see a sort of standardized Turbo mode. Improved online, obviously.
Smash Run should return as it is, and I'd actually like to see Smash Tour return, but with proper minigames. There's more one can do with Smash Bros. physics other than just knocking characters offstage.
I also want Melee Target Smash to return, an Adventure mode similar to Subspace, Alpha stages as someone put it, and the following characters:

Paper Mario
Toad
Waluigi
Pauline
Shy Guy (in a Mario Kart)
King Boo
Impa
Revali
Young Link
Samurai Goroh
Chrom
Isaac
Pokemon Trainer with Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander with an alt for the middle forms
Pichu
Decidueye
Bandana Waddle Dee
Spring Man
Takamaru
Wolf
Krystal
Ice Climbers
Ridley
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Ninten
Rex and Pyra/Mythra
Banjo-Kazooie
Crash Bandicoot
Snake
Rayman

Alternate Costumes!
Color Editor for all characters
All Previous Costumes from Wii U / 3DS
Various Odyssey Costumes for Mario
Tanooki, Racoon, Hammer, Frog, and Cat Mario for Mario
Mr. L for Luigi
Daisy for Peach
Dry Bowser, Wedding Bowser, and Cat Bowser for Bowser
Captain Toad, Toadette, and Captain Toadette for Toad
Koopa Troopa, Goomba, Boo, Wiggler, Dry Bones, Lakitu, and Mario (in Kart) for Shy Guy
Wario-Ware-esque Waluigi for Waluigi
Paper Luigi for Paper Mario
Yarn Yoshi for Yoshi
Funky Kong for Donkey Kong
Pirate and Scientist K. Rool for King K. Rool
Various Breath of the Wild costumes for Link
Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Hyrule Warriors, and Breath of the Wild costumes for Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf
Ocarina of Time, Link Between Worlds, and Link to the Past costumes for Young Link
Island Lobster Shirt for Toon Link
Yarn Kirby for Kirby
Concept Art Meta Knight for Meta Knight
Yarn Meta Knight for Meta Knight
Masked Dedede for Dedede
Yarn Dedede for Dedede
Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola, and Classic hats for Pikachu
Cosplay Pikachu costumes for Pikachu
Armored Mewtwo for Mewtwo
Ribbon Girl for Spring Man
Ms. Pac-Man for Pac-Man
Proto Man for Mega Man
Mega Man X for Mega Man
Shadow for Sonic
Ken for Ryu
Miitomo / Tomodachi Life Costumes for Miis

Last edited:

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
The only things I'm absolutely praying for in Smash 5 are playable Geno, the return of Adventure Mode, and a Gyromite stage; I'm hoping for at least two of these. Anything beyond that is just a bonus for me.
Although now that I think of it, better item balance and a reworking of the airdodge system would be much appreciated as well.
If Smash Switch is actually Smash 5, then just throw in Star Wars characters as guests, even if Nintendo were to make a PC port. Darth Vader for Switch, Yoda for PC, and Starkiller as an unlockable character on both platforms.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Smash Switch is actually Smash 5, then just throw in Star Wars characters as guests, even if Nintendo were to make a PC port. Darth Vader for Switch, Yoda for PC, and Starkiller as an unlockable character on both platforms.
There are so many things wrong with this that I'm not sure where to begin.

kylexv

Smash Master
Half of these probably won't happen, but I'll throw my hat into this ring of dreams.

1. Improved Smash Run: Bring Smash Run back for this game, but there needs to be some improvements. Make players able to interact with each other, and, maybeeee, make it compatible with up to 8 players. This mode was meant to resemble City Trial, but it needs improvements to make it just as fun.

2. Custom Moves: Custom moves were pretty cool, but there was so many things wrong with them. They were too random to get, they were horribly unbalanced, and some were flat out lazy. If these things are improved, I'll enjoy them a lot more.

3. Roster: I want Sakurai to surprise me this time around (like he's done in the past). Yes, I still want to see characters like K. Rool, Waddle Dee, and Waluigi, but I want a few really crazy characters. Those are the fun ones.

4. De-clone Ganondorf: Long overdue

5. Revitalize Veteran Movesets: It would be cool to see some characters that have stuck around since the beginning get some new tools up their disposal, like Mario using Cappy for a couple moves or Link using some of his tools from Breath of the Wild. For people who liked their original movesets, no problem. Have Dr. Mario keep Mario's original moveset and have some other version of Link keep Link's original moveset.

6. Cool Alt Costumes: Smash 4's introduction of Alt Costumes was an excellent addition. Just add a few more cool ones and I'll be happy.

Cin726

Smash Cadet
Just curious what Mario characters people consider to be "must haves" moving forward. Assuming nobody from SSB Wii U gets cut (Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario, Luigi, Mario, Peach, Rosalina & Luma, Wario, Yoshi), that's already 9 Mario reps. At what point do we reach a saturation? The reason I ask is because we still have quite a list of Mario characters they could use:

Birdo
Daisy
Geno
Kamek
King Boo
Pauline
Toad
Waluigi

D

Deleted member

Just curious what Mario characters people consider to be "must haves" moving forward. Assuming nobody from SSB Wii U gets cut (Bowser, Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario, Luigi, Mario, Peach, Rosalina & Luma, Wario, Yoshi), that's already 9 Mario reps. At what point do we reach a saturation? The reason I ask is because we still have quite a list of Mario characters they could use:

Birdo
Daisy
Geno
Kamek
King Boo
Pauline
Toad
Waluigi
I don't consider any character to be a "must have", regarless of the series they're from, but I'd like to see Waluigi.
Also, Yoshi and Wario represent their own seperate series so they don't count.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 269706

Captain Falcon solo mode

The guy isn't even an F-Zero character at this point, he'sliterally only alive because of smash.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Birdo
Daisy
Geno
Kamek
King Boo
Pauline
Toad
Waluigi
Toad or Captain Toad.

Not just bias but the Big 8 of Mario was deemed as Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Wario, DK and TOAD.

Waluigi, Daisy and Pauline would be great too but I'd consider them bonuses(as I do with Jr and Rosalina if I'm honest) to a stellar line up if and when Captain Toad/Toad joins the rest of the old Big 8.

I think Birdo would be where I draw the line of oversaturation. Not seen many people requesting Birdo but I'd assume by that point we'd have Toad/Captain Toad, Daisy and Waluigi.

Kamek and Geno are also a little superfluous as Mario characters to me, but they at least have some excellent move set potential.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
- All the characters in my signature (12-ish newcomers is ideal with no cuts)
- Reworked movesets for some veterans cause some just feel outdated and don't represent the character properly i.e. Zelda, Link, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Luigi, DK, Sonic etc
- Decloning the clones and semi-clones, Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario especially, I can't imagine it's too hard to change a few moves and even just animations. Further decloning characters like Luigi, toon link and falco would be good too.
- Bring back wolf and ice climbers
- A more indepth single player mode, like an extended version on melee's, featuring more stages based on more franchises, how dope would it be having to fight on top of a moving arwing and jumping from ship to ship or going through a proper metroid inspired level.
- NO NEW MARIO (except paper cause I count him as separate tbh) OR FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS PLEASE (Although let's be real we're gonna get one from that new FE game since sakurai is so buddy buddy with Intelligent systems)

Last edited:

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
I hope Smash 5 restores...
This part of the song. Any idea why Smash 4 trimmed several parts from the returning music from Melee?

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
  1. Smash 3DS content HD style: If this is a port (which I honestly don't mind), it'd be great for them to incorporate HD-level stages, modes, and trophies from the 3DS version. It'd be simple and add a load of content without a lot of stress.
  2. Replay Mode/Photo Mode: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey all incorporated terrific photo modes in their games. I'd love to have the ability to replay matches (without losing them with every update which was super annoying) and be able to speed up and slow down moments in each match like in Mario Kart 8 and have filters like in Super Mario Odyssey that replicate certain game eras and especially that new Neon mode they added. That'd be amazing. Plus being able to effortlessly share photos and video on social media.
  3. Smash Run Deluxe: Get rid of Smash Tour first of all, that was abominable. And bring in Smash Run, HD style! I loved that mode in the 3DS version, being able to take down Nintendo baddies with all your favorite characters. Add additional enemies from various games.
  4. Alternate costumes: Holy crap I've been wanting alternate costumes for almost every character for so long. Some already have them like Pikachu and obviously Wario, Olimar, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Little Mac, but Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit should've always been alts for Mario, Marth, and Pit.
  5. No more clones: I know people give clones slack because they're just neat little extras but when only some of them are their own character and others like Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Corrin have alternate skins for Alph and male/female versions, the time for them has past. I let it slide in Melee since they had such a limited schedule to release the game with so many characters, but now is the time to have original characters for every slot.
  6. Adventure mode: I'm not as keen on a full-blown story mode like Subspace Emissary mainly because I feel like it'd be asking too much, but a fun adventure mode like in Melee would be great, traveling through various Nintendo worlds and facing bosses and enemies from those worlds would be wonderful.
  7. Boss mode: Kind of an add-on to Adventure mode, Boss mode would be a mode where you fight HD-style bosses from throughout Nintendo's history as your favorite characters. Imagine being able to fight classic Bowser from Super Mario Bros./3/World, Ganon from Link to the Past, King Dedede, Nightmare, and Dyna Blade from the Kirby series, etc. as any character of your choosing.
  8. Toggle stage hazards: I don't mind stage hazards too much and Omega stages was a cool addition for the new Smash, but it would be nice to have the option at will.
  9. Random character choice for custom rules: Like how you can choose stages and items to randomly appear when you toggle them in Custom Rules, it'd be nice to have that option for the random slot for the character select screen. As much as I like choosing random and trying to be good with every character, it'd be nice to take out one or two characters I may have a problem with.
  10. Bring back bonuses: I loved getting bonuses for cool stunts and achievements you manage to pull off in matches in Melee. It would be awesome to have that make a comeback.
  11. Offline tournament mode: I was a little disappointed there wasn't an offline tournament mode in the new games and would love to see that return, it was a fun way to play lots of matches with friends at a party in an organized fashion.
  12. Music: Some music I'd like to see incorporated in appropriate stages include for Mario - any major Bowser theme for a Bowser's Castle stage, such as Koopa Road/Koopa Theme from Super Mario 64, Bowser's Castle from Mario Kart 64, etc./ the Rainbow Road 64 remix from Mario Kart 8, and Jump Up, Super Star! from Super Mario Odyssey. Donkey Kong - Fear Factory and Mine Cart Madness from Donkey Kong Country. Legend of Zelda - a Hyrule Dungeons remix from Link Between Worlds and the Divine Beast Vah Ruta theme from Breath of the Wild. Metroid - an SR388 remix from Metroid 2: The Return of Samus. Yoshi - Baby Bowser Final Battle Theme from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and King Bowser's Castle - Final Hall from Yoshi's Woolly World. Kirby: a remix of Nightmare's battle theme from Kirby's Adventure and the Boss theme from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. Star Fox - Eladard from Star Fox 2 and the Sauria Battle theme from Star Fox: Assault. Pokemon - Rival Battle Theme & Champion Theme from Pokemon Gold and Silver and the Rival Battle Theme from Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. F-Zero - Rainbow Road from F-Zero X and Phoenix from F-Zero GX/AX. Earthbound/Mother - The Fourside remix from Melee NEEDS to return. Fire Emblem - The Opera theme from Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. Pikmin - The Credits theme from Pikmin 2 and the Bingo Battle (Nature) theme from Pikmin 3. Animal Crossing - Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Boss theme from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Supporting Me from Sonic Adventure 2. Punch-Out!! - Glass Joe's Theme from Punch-Out!! Xenoblade - Zanza from Xenoblade Chronicles. Mega Man - a Dr. Wily remix from Mega Man 2 and Shade Man's theme from Mega Man 7. Splatoon - The VS. Mode (No. 1) theme from Splatoon.
  13. Stages: Stages I'd love to see include an official Bowser's Castle stage and a Game Boy/Pokemon stage that involves fighting on the battle screen from Red & Blue and obviously fun new stages based on Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and any newcomers with viable stages like Inklings getting a Splatoon stage, Spring Man/Ribbon Girl getting an ARMS stage, etc.
  14. Characters: Oh yeah, new characters that I'd be most excited to see! And some returning ones. I'd love to see the Ice Climbers make their triumphant return along with Wolf and maybe Snake (though he seems unlikely), and newcomers Krystal (Star Fox), Crono (Chrono Trigger), Isaac (Golden Sun), Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (ARMS), King K. Rool (Donkey Kong), Ridley (Metroid), Paper Mario, Shovel Knight, Rayman, Simon Belmont (Castlevania), and last but absolutely not least, the character(s) I'd be most excited for: BANJO-KAZOOIE.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
  • bring back Wolf and the Ice Climbers, and maybe Snake if Konami's cool with it. (no huge loss to me if they're not but I know he's got fans)
  • keep Mewtwo and Lucario! my two favorite Pokemon of all time, plus the two most obvious Pokemon reps in Smash (one's the original legendary who was literally canonically born to fight, and the other is the only fighting-type pokemon in this fighting game). a new Pokemon is pretty much guaranteed but i like most of the popular picks so i don't even care which gets it, just as long as i don't lose the two i love already.
  • drop or heavily alter sm4sh's cloniest clones - do i even need to say which three i mean? i know he was easy but Dark Pit feels like an insult when there are plenty of cooler and more diverse options from Uprising
  • add a new Zelda fighter, my favorite franchise has had the same group since Melee. my preference goes to Midna or Ghirahim but i'll take almost anyone. and change, but do not get rid of, Ganondorf
  • add Krystal and Ridley you cowards, it's long overdue
  • while you're at it add K. Rool. i'm no DK fan but i am a Ridley supporter and i recognize they're in the same sorta situation, a popular but under-represented series whose most obvious picks for new fighters keep getting passed up. throw 'em a bone, guys, let's get all the bad guys in on this party.
  • reinstate the transformation characters. if you wanna free up Zelda/Sheik's moves, map the transformation to a taunt button.
  • a decent single-player campaign, i beg you. 4's single-player content was dull, so since I had nobody to play with it wound up being the game I had in least despite being my favorite overall. i don't expect a full Story Mode with cool cutscenes and stuff, but a little more than Melee's "Adventure" mode with its two platforming stages, and certainly more than Wii U's, uhh... what did it have again?
  • Board the Platforms and old-style Break the Targets
  • more cosmetic stuff like costumes and skins - maybe Brawl Ike vs sm4sh Ike, or Young Link for Toon Link so people stop asking where he went
i think that covers everything? (edit: whoops lol nope it wasnt everything)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Would be cool to see a real chat like screen for for glory. Also ive said this before and ill say it again, we need break the targets from Melee back!

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
I'll be editing "After E3" over the years. This is just to clean up the presentation and modify ideas here and there.

After E3
The Smash Gauge (SG) is simply an indicator showing the amount of special energy players can expend in order to use special options during a match. In Fighting Games, this energy is typically gained by attacking opponents and/or taking damage, though there can be other ways of gaining that energy.

My objective with this was to imagine use of a familiar system whose scope is broadened by bringing together combat-related features the Smash series has seen in some capacity as part of a singular system that would be welcomed for tournament level play.

As we all know, Health in Smash is represented by %. I find it fitting to have a second % display for SG, perhaps with each character having a unique visual flair (Bowser's SG being Fiery, for example). Please click on the Spoiler Tags below for details covering each category of SG (%) uses!

Swaps

Choose your two characters or choose the two versions (extended moveset) of a single character. The first character you select will be defined as your Primary (I). Your second character will be defined as your Secondary (II). Press your Swap Button to switch between characters at any time during a match. The animated gifs above are great examples of how this action would look.
While your Secondary is in use, your Smash Gauge will deplete at some rate such as 1% Per Second.
<><><>
Directional Swap Cancelling (DSC)

Directional Swap Cancelling is when the player presses the Swap Button with one of up to 8 directions (per character = up to 16 unique assignments to a player per match) on the control stick in order to have the swapped in character appear precisely where desired with purpose of opening a strong opportunity to complete a custom combo or mixup. Players determine and assign these points to commands in the Training Mode. In executing, the Swap Button + Direction must be pressed within a small window of landing an attack on hit or block, whether on the opponent or other physical objects such as soccer ball, bomb, and hydrant. DSC can also happen during a dodge.

Combos and mixups involving DSC will typically look like action that was once only seen in 2 vs 2 battles. What would it take to pull off such team combos as that Luigi+Palutena combo BUT in a 1 vs 1 Match?

Focus on the 2 vs 2 battle highlighted in the animated gif on the left featuring Luigi and Palutena.

Luigi: Down Throw, Forward Air
Palutena: Back Air
Luigi: Down Special
Palutena: Up Air
Luigi: Up Special

Now, let's imagine what a player is able to recreate or invent in the Training Mode and achieve in a 1 vs 1 battle with Swaps & Directional Swap Cancelling.

Luigi: Down Throw, Forward Air, DSC(#,#)
Palutena: Back Air, DSC(#,#)
Luigi: Down Special, DSC(#,#)
Palutena: Up Air, DSC(#,#)
Luigi: Up Special

See the difference in inputs? (#,#) represents the Spawn Coordinates that were deemed necessary to have a CHANCE at completing the sequence that was developed in the Training Mode. Again, DSC(#,#) only happens when you press the Swap Button + whatever direction you assigned to that particular coordinate. For example. Maybe the first (#,#) in that sequence was assigned to Up or 8 (see number pad). So, Swap + Up.

If you REALLY want to believe in this concept, just start imagining joint combos involving two of your favorite characters you could develop in training mode. Wish you could do this? Now realize that Swaps + DSC as a great (if not bloody brilliant) potential solution!
How frequently should we expect players to able to use DSC? Take a 2-bar V-Trigger in SFV with perhaps a Nash or Ibuki combo in mind. How many times will you see that from a player in a match? Maybe 6 times if three rounds are played? That's about what I'd want out of a 2-stock match per player, and that's IF the player goes with a playstyle that heavily favors SG use towards DSC with minimal to no employment of the other SG dependent uses.

Of course, there would need be rules forcing DSC to be fair. DSC Combo extensions in general would be the strongest there can be, much like combos involving Focus in Street Fighter IV. And just as Focus requires meter, each use of DSC would cost a good chunk of the Smash Gauge. I'm thinking 15% per DSC, successful or not. Perhaps you'd spend 60% SG to successfully execute that Luigi+Palutena example combo. Although the strongest combos would be DSC Combos, there would still be damage scaling involved, perhaps at each joint or use of DSC within a combo. Also, PERHAPS any attack following a DSC would be incapable of killing players at health lower than 150%. If less, maybe a Rubber Band Blast Zone effect kicks in, pushing the victim back in far enough for a fair chance to recover.
Now, what if you are standing on stage at the time and your Y-value is to decrease? I would say at that point, the player must accept a Y-value that is equal to them standing on stage, which is 0. Obviously, we can't have a DSC in that situation putting the player beneath the stage. Assigning Spawn Points in training and using DSC for advanced combos and mixups comes with the responsibility of having a good understanding of what that DSC leads to. This is some cool ****, but make no mistake about it. This is skilled input, not auto-combo or win button. You don't train for a DSC combo that leads to a drop in Y and turn around and execute a DSC in a situation where that drop in Y would not only lead to failure in execution, but there is simply not enough vertical distance anyway!
Every use of DSC would consume a chunk of SG % such as 15%.
<><><>
Skills
Click For List of Equipment Bonus Effects - Smashwiki

A skill encompasses an upside modifier AND a downside modifier. Pre-select up to four skills at or prior to character select menu. Skills are assigned to D-Directions. Tap D to assign/activate a skill. Skills have varying activity duration and cooldown, and deplete SG% upon activation. In addition to pre-assigning Skills, players can rely on memory and execution to access ANY of the long list of Skills on the fly in the heat of battle by satisfying an Action Requirement, such as "Jump Over Projectile Twice Before Attacking = ____ (Skill Name)" Complete the action, notice the signal such as "!", hold a D-Direction to replace the old assigned skill with the new one. Note: Holding D when signal "!" is not present results in taunt.

Clock Stopper
Not all skills are equal in terms of how much SG% they'll drain upon activation. Some skills may even drain SG while in use.
<><><>
Special Techniques
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Advanced_technique

Maybe there's a "technique" that significantly decreases recovery time from the version of directional air dodge present in Ultimate. The moment you do a Fast Fall, for example, imagine your SG takes a -2% hit. When you DI, maybe that was a cost of 7% SG. Some will ask "but why". It is in the importance of the seduction that comes with a wide array of choices, which adds to the suspense of the match for the players and spectators. Picture the live commentary. It's about players placing their bets on what's important to them towards winning. Decisive Play! It's about giving a little bit more of a fair chance for vastly different play styles to be viable. For example. If a tech monster gets to do special techniques for free while all other categories being presented here require SG, that immediately puts those who may be less big on techniques but are stronger at Swaps/DSC at even more of a disadvantage. If techniques are that important to your path to victory, be happy to spend the SG! If swaps and dsc are that important, be happy to spend! If skills are that important, be happy to spend! Enjoy finding YOUR balance!
Whatever the lengthy selection of techniques this game would feature, most techniques would burn some amount of SG upon use, just as an Ex move in a Street Fighter game instantly burns bar. It could be 1%, 2%, 3%, 5%, 7%... just depends on the technique.
<><><>
Final Smashes
You may summon your Smash Ball at 90-100% SG, but you must be at 100% SG to deal damage to your Smash Ball to ultimately break it and unleash your power!
<><><>

Before E3
I have 3 main areas of concern/hope regarding this game - Battle Mechanics, Online Mode, and Training Mode.

I've spent the most time with Battle Mechanics. In a nutshell, it's about revising ideas from Smash 4 to work around a central gauge system. Here's where I'm at right now.

Smash Gauge! Build it and spend it throughout your match on Swaps, Skills, Techniques, and Final Smashes to the extent you see fit to win!

a familiar view of "Swapping" in action

ANOTHER ATTEMPT AT CLARITY!
The two gifs featuring WFT are to show an idea of a mixup involving Directional Swap Cancel. At Pics 1 & 2 or animated gif 1, the Directional Swap Cancel off Header Cancel followup (kneed ball) places swapped in character in position to attack Marth after his recovery from ledge in the same way that Ike is attacked in the second animated gif or 3rd pic in the grid area above.

With the Greninja gif, you simply have to imagine that there was still time for the Gren player to Directional Swap Cancel off that final water shuriken hit. The jump before the "shadow sneak" would be unnecessary to getting that "finisher" (I'd want the "can't kill circumstance" knockabck scaling/rubber band blast zone rule on this given Yoshi's health at the time). What is necessary is knowing from your experiments the knockback properties for the character you're up against at that % and also knowing your spawn point to command assignments (knowing what locations your commands would put your character at). Finally, you have to know your follow up because there's no auto-attack that comes from DSC, unlike Greninja's Shadow Sneak. If you spawn in air, you'll have your aerial options to manually follow up with at that time. If you spawn on ground, you'll have your ground options to manually execute. And again, you have to imagine that the character that appears to get that finishing hit is either a different character from the roster, or the other version of Greninja (extended moveset).

MOVING ON FROM COMBAT CONCEPT
The Online Mode needs major overhauling. I'd like for it to be the best of the best, complying with the standards of the best and surpassing with its own trend setting features. Lag, throwing everything that can be thrown at it from Nintendo's end to empowering users with all sorts of options to make this less of a hassle than (again) the best there is out there. Major stat tracking (full player vs player history keeping) and a good Ranked Mode that really gets aspiring tournament players in there playing with the pros is greatly desired. Things like notifications and other such "qol" features I'm sure will be improved for this game.

With the training mode, standards should be met. I don't know which Fighting Game has it best. I think SFV is what's best in my collection, but there's room to go well beyond even that. For starters, I've talked a lot in the past about this idea of importing replay data so that players don't have to recreate situations to practice on. And with that there's the means to design training modules for the creator AND the rest of the community to access by sharing online. There could even be a Training Event Mode that has players just taking on training challenges daily created by the players (and sometimes the dev team).

But yeah... Those make up the heaviest part of my wishlist. There's other little stuff in mind, but the stuff above is what I have my fingers crossed for. I wouldn't expect my twist on its battle mechanics to happen EXACTLY as I've envisioned to this point, but I could make a strong case for why it is very possible Sakurai and his team may be approaching it by means of other methods/ specifics.

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
The Top #10 Character's I Want To See As Playable Fighter's In Super Smash Bros For The Nintendo Switch!

#1. Travis Touchdown (From The No More Heroes Series) (Owned By Grasshopper Manufacture)

#2. A New Donkey Kong Character- Either Dixie Kong Or King K. Rool (As A Playable Character And Not A Costume Please)

#3. Naked Snake (From Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D) (Owned By Konami)

#4. A New Earthbound/Mother Character- Either The Masked Man/Claus (From Mother 3) Or Porky Minch (From Mother 3)

#5. Sub-Zero (From The Mortal Kombat Series) (Owned By Nether Realm Studios)

#6. A New Metroid Character- Either Dark Samus (From The Metroid Prime Series) Or Sylux (From Metroid Prime Hunters)

#7. A New Kirby Character- Either Prince Fluff (From Kirby's Epic Yarn) Or Magolor (From Kirby's Return To Dreamland)

#8. A New Legend Of Zelda Character- Either Zant Or Wolf Link And Minda (Both Are From The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

#9. A Returning Smash Veteran- Either The Ice Climbers Or Wolf O' Donnell (From The Star Fox Series) (Completely Reworked With A New Moveset)

#10. Takamaru (From The Mysterious Murasame Castle)

---

The Top #10 Alternate Costumes I Want To See In Super Smash Bros For The Nintendo Switch (Either Available From The Start Or, Unlockable Content, Or Future DLC)!

#1. Mario- Either His Outfit From Super Mario Strikers Or His Mario Tennis Aces Tennis Outfit

#2. Luigi- Either Dr. Luigi (From Dr. Luigi) Or Mr. L (From Super Paper Mario)

#3. Donkey Kong- Either Robot Donkey Kong (From The Donkey Kong Country Animated TV Series) Or Archeologist Donkey Kong (From Mario Party 2)

#4. Bowser- Either Dry Bones Bowser Or Moon Wedding Bowser (From Super Mario Odyssey)

#5. Link- Either Ordon Village Link (From The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess) Or His Training Tunic (From Hyrule Warriors)

#6. Ness- Either Robot Ness Or Ness In His Pajama's (Both Are From Earthbound/Mother 2)

#7. Fox McCloud- Either His Outfit From Star Fox Adventures Or His Outfit From Star Fox Assault

#8. Princess Zelda- Either Her Appearance From The Beginning Of The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword Or Her Appearance From The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of The Wild

#9. Pikachu- Either Detective Pikachu (With The Box Art Coat And Hat) Or Pikachu Libre (From Pokken Tournament)

#10. Samus Aran- Either Light Suit Samus (From Metroid Prime 2: Echoes) Or Fusion Suit Samus (From Metroid Fusion)

---

The Top #10 Stages I Want To See Included As Selectable Stages For Super Smash Bros For The Nintendo Switch (Either As Available Content From The Start Of The Game, On-Disc Unlockable Content, Or Future DLC)!

#1. A Splatoon Stage- Either Inkopolis (From Splatoon 1) Or Maroorner's Bay (From Splatoon 2)

#2. Nintendo Land (From Nintendo Land On The Wii-U)

#3. A New Mario Stage- Either Bowser's Castle Or The Comet Observatory (From Super Mario Galaxy)

#4. An Excitebike Stage (From The Excitebike Series)

#5. A New Legend Of Zelda Stage- Either Clocktown (From The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask) Or Lake Hylia (From The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

#6. A New Donkey Kong Stage- Either Gangplank Galleon (From Donkey Kong Country) Or The Flying Krock (From Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest)

#7. A New Metroid Stage- Either Phendrana Drifts (From Metroid Prime) Or Sector 4 (From Metroid: Fusion)

#8. A New F-Zero Stage- Either The Phantom Road Or Aeropolis (Both Are From F-Zero GX)

#9. A New Kirby Stage- Either Patch Land (From Kirby's Epic Yarn) Or Shiver Star (From Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards)

#10. A Returning Smash Stage- Either Moonside (From Super Smash Bros Melee) Or Saffron City (From Super Smash Bros 64)

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
John Dylan Smith John Dylan Smith just a heads up that double posting (or, in this case, triple posting) is frowned upon. You can edit your post, or make your post longer to begin with, but putting a bunch of posts in a row within the same topic is basically spam.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
My unreasonable top 5 video game characters for Smash 5:
1. Chip/Dale from Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers, NES
2. Fulgore from Killer Instinct, SNES
3. Marco from Metal Slug, Neo Geo MVS
4. Mike Tyson from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!, NES (Complete with voice acting from the man himself.)
5. Cuphead/Mugman from Cuphead, Microsoft Windows/Xbox One

My reasonable wish list:

1. Faster more offensive based game play.

2. The following veterans to return: :4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4drmario::4duckhunt::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4luigi::4mario::4mewtwo::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4peach::4pikachu::4metaknight::4wario::ivysaur::squirtle::popo:

3. The following newcomers:
At least one Donkey Kong character.(Anyone other than Kiddy Kong.)
At least one of these Kirby characters: Whispy Woods, Bandana Dee, Adeleine.
At least one of these 3rd party characters: Shovel Knight, Crash Bandicoot, Bomberman, Viewtiful Joe, Monster Hunter.

4. Some more stages from Smash 64 (Original or re-textured).

5. The following characters to have their move sets heavily altered: :4bowserjr:No more clown car. :4ganondorf:Fitting move set.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
We need Wavedashing back. No, I’m not memeing. The movement skill ceiling has dropped off to an unbelievable degree since brawl, and this would definitely boost it back to a clear part of comp play.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I want wall jumping and crawling to be universal abilities among the entire cast.

In SSB4, a good chunk of the characters can already wall jump (including characters one would not expect would be able to wall jump:4littlemac::4duckhunt::4mewtwo:) and/or crawl (but not some that really should:4mario::4samus:). They're useful and natural abilities that everyone that have them benefit from, but not everyone has them, giving characters that do a (slight) advantage over those that don't. It's often not clear who can or cannot use them, and sometimes not even going by archetypes/home series skills makes it easy to tell who can or cannot use them (as pointed out above).

Of course, to make it balanced, characters will have different attributes to their wall jump/crawl. For wall jumping, some characters could wall jump higher than others, or characters with already good recoveries can wall jump less times than normal before losing altitude. As for crawls, maybe give characters with very low crouches a slower crawl, or something to that extent.

So yeah, **** it, give everyone a wall jump and a crawl. There's not reason not to have them as universal abilities at this point.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I want wall jumping and crawling to be universal abilities among the entire cast.

In SSB4, a good chunk of the characters can already wall jump (including characters one would not expect would be able to wall jump:4littlemac::4duckhunt::4mewtwo:) and/or crawl (but not some that really should:4mario::4samus:). They're useful and natural abilities that everyone that have them benefit from, but not everyone has them, giving characters that do a (slight) advantage over those that don't. It's often not clear who can or cannot use them, and sometimes not even going by archetypes/home series skills makes it easy to tell who can or cannot use them (as pointed out above).

Of course, to make it balanced, characters will have different attributes to their wall jump/crawl. For wall jumping, some characters could wall jump higher than others, or characters with already good recoveries can wall jump less times than normal before losing altitude. As for crawls, maybe give characters with very low crouches a slower crawl, or something to that extent.

So yeah, **** it, give everyone a wall jump and a crawl. There's not reason not to have them as universal abilities at this point.
I would agree, except how the heck would R.O.B. wall jump?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
He at least has legs. R.O.B. has... a foot, if we wanna be generous?
iirc, the wall jump animation is the same as the one for wall teching, so they'll probably just use whatever animation they have for ROB already.

Anyhow, another thing I'd like to have in Smash 5 is for DK, Diddy and Bowser to have their original series voices, rather than the animal noises they still have.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I'd like all cut veterans to return first and foremost. Everyone should return and I'm open to any newcomers preferably that are Nintendo. I can however understand 3rd parties not ever making it back like Snake for instance but any past Nintendo vet like Wolf or even Pichu should come back. I'm already really happy with the veterans we have now and there isn't a newcomer candidate that I would kiss Sakurai's feet for to add them in.

And secondly I don't want any BS on this game disc like Smash Tour, Master Pieces, etc. We don't need that. It doesn't add anything. It's a waste of space on the disc that could be used for something else. Sure there can be a classic mode, target test, homerun contest, trophy gallery, and picture gallery. But I want them to focus 95% on the multiplayer and online features. It's the core of the game and with this online service, it needs to be better than ever.

That and I would like more past stages to return.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
1. Better ai.
This. If the most your game has going for it in terms of singleplayer content is facing off against CPUs (which, in Smash 4's case, is absolutely true no matter what version you're playing), the least you can do is make them fun and engaging to play against. Of course, a better solution in my book would be to just make the singleplayer modes fun again, but somehow, I don't see that happening with Bamco most likely at the helm once again.

Furthermore - and this one is long overdue - can we finally get the option to have a dedicated shorthop button this time around? Every controller compatible with Smash 4 bar the Wiimote + Nunchuk (and maybe the standalone Wiimote, I honestly have zero experience with the thing) has two buttons mapped to "Jump" by default; being able to map one of those buttons to shorthop would be infinitely more efficient, and that way, consistently shorthopping would no longer be the hardest thing since beating Classic on 9.0.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I hope Smash 5 restores...
This part of the song. Any idea why Smash 4 trimmed several parts from the returning music from Melee?
It wouldn't matter, since Brinstar isn't a legal stage. I was unaware that the segment you're referring to was trimmed, but I've never played Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS. I never saw the reason when I can play it on the Wii U. Anyway, that part of the tune has a nice '80s sound to it and reminds me of Vince DiCola's unused Transformers theme, especially at 38 seconds in probably because it sounds improvised.

As for my wishlist, well, it'd be nice if I had the ability to grab an opponent lying on the ground when invincibility frames weren't present. This would make people think twice about just lying there in hopes that I approach. Sure, I suppose I could use a full Charge Shot.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
MY Wishlist

Characters:
  • Don't change Link too much (and keep him a lefty)
  • Don't change Zelda too much (and have her royal gown be her default)
  • Bring back Mewtwo
  • Bring back Pokémon Trainer with the switching mechanic
  • Newcomer: Ridley
  • Newcomer: King K. Rool
  • New third party: Dovahkiin
  • Character posters and trailers for ALL newcomers as from Sm4sh
  • All characters also have active poses in the art that will allow for an amiibo with minimal support needed

• Possibly also Newcomer: Urbosa and Veteran: Duck Hunt
  • DLC support with new characters for quite a while
Returning Stages:
  • Hyrule Castle (64)
  • Saffron City (64)
  • Brinstar (Melee)
  • Corneria (Melee)
  • Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
  • Great Bay (Melee)
  • Mushroom Kingdom II (Melee)
  • Onett (Melee)
  • Pokémon Stadium (Melee)
  • Temple (Melee)
  • Bridge of Eldin (Brawl)
  • Castle Siege (Brawl)
  • Halberd (Brawl)
  • Mushroomy Kingdom - both forms (Brawl)
  • New Pork City (Brawl)
  • Spear Pillar (Brawl)
  • WarioWare (Brawl)
  • Gerudo Valley (3DS)
  • Pac-Maze (3DS, if PacMan is returning)
  • Kalos Pokémon League (WiiU)
  • Super Mario Maker (WiiU)
  • Also a Brawl-style stage builder, with more options
Returning Items:
  • Cracker Launcher (Brawl)
  • Fan (64-Brawl)
  • Parasol (Melee)
  • Red Shell (64-Melee)
Game Modes:
  • Classic Mode
    • Melee-style - set battle types (1v1, 2v2, 1v1, 3vGiant, etc.) with random enemies. Intro screens resemble Brawl's with the cutout image of the character's eyes. After the battle, the camera zooms in on the PC like Brawl's did. Difficulty can be changed, but will not be forced upon defeat like in Sm4sh. End battle can be against Master Hand/Crazy/Core. Also uses race to the finish (melee) and/or board the platforms (64) as fillers.
  • All-Star mode
    • Not open until all characters are unlocked. Works similar to Melee's in that characters are randomized. has two 1v1 battles, two 1v2, two 1v3, then the rest are 1v4 (may go to 1v5 or 6 if there are too many characters, or start with 1v2s). Each character also has a home stage like Melee, so the battle will take place on a stage of one of the characters
  • Adventure Mode
    • I'd love a SSE, but that's excessive. A melee-style mode will suffice. Characters go through brief platforming sections for each franchise like in Melee and meet enemies from that series.
  • Smash Run
    • Returns basically unaltered. Make some things (bonus doors) less dependent on needing customized characters. New enemies from more series.
  • Event Mode
    • Have character-specific events match well with the character used, i.e. Brawl's Dark Link Duel made sense in story, but Super Waterfall Climb did not. Final battle for single and two-player is against the whole roster as in the co-op event
  • Stadium
    • Unique target test for each character.
    • Home Run Contest, as before
    • Multi-man mode, as before
  • Challenges
    • Character-specific challenges tend to be easier to do
    • High-level challenges allow the use of any character, so you can use your mains
    • ALL challenges are hammerable, for those who don't/can't do online-only challenges
  • Album/Replays
    • Easy way to transfer pictures/videos to computer. Particularly to not lose replay data after an update
  • Local Tournament mode
  • Tag-team battle mode
Unlockables:
  • Many characters and stages are unlockable. Unlocks will take effort to get, similar to Melee, but many have multiple ways of unlocking i.e. through vs. matches or through some other method. Definitely not as fast as it was in WiiU
Trophies:
  • Massively extended number of trophies, with more added as free DLC
  • Coin Launcher (brawl)
  • WiiU's gallery mode
Character customization mostly comes down to swapping specials or Mii characters. All custom specials are either unlocked from the beginning or unlocked as challenges, none are random unlocks.

Different character forms are loaded simultaneously, so transformations are instant. All transformations return, but are not forced (Samus' final smash will transform if the B-button is held, but not if it is tapped, etc). Pokémon Trainer transforms with his side taunt, which allows you to choose which character to bring out next.

...whew, that's a lot. I just hope there's more for single players - we don't all have access to stable internet connections or massive groups of friends who can hang out whenever. Most Smash games I play for years, but I haven't even picked up Sm4sh since before Bayonetta and Corrin were announced.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I feel like a lot of stuff I’d say are things others have said, so I’ll just list a couple things I want.

1. Full support for using a keyboard as a controller.
I legitimately feel much more comfortable using a keyboard rather than a normal controller for Smash, TBH, so one more controller option can’t hurt, right?

2. Omegas but with selectable stage layouts.
So, they could bring back Omegas, but also make one or two platform models for each stage, and then those platforms could be added at runtime, with a selector on the stage select screen to let you pick a layout. This could potentially result in much more variety in tournaments and on “For Glory.” (I mean, they’ll almost certainly just ban most of those stage layouts in tournaments, TBH, but still...)

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
While some people were arguing that having a character represented by assist trophies is terrible, cause they are random so you still won't get any control of what you got, maybe they could add a gamemode where you can select a specific assist trophy from m the assist trophy roster to assist you. (A little like how assist worked on the original marvel vs Capcom)

Do you could fill a gauge and when is full, instead of throwing a final smash, you can summon your selected assist trophy to do some damage and having control over f whatbyoubdo, would help you coordinate your joint attacks better. They could of keep expanding the assist trophy roster with characters with little chance of becoming player characters, like having fourth generation Pokemon trainer to summon 3 pokeballs for you, or having protoman help you shooting things, or tharja flinging some spells, imo would be the best way to implement semi playable characters

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
A story mode similar to subspace and bayo nerfs come to mind. Also I get Nintendo isn't going to want too much high level tech in their game but for the love of god can be just have L cancelling back?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
While some people were arguing that having a character represented by assist trophies is terrible, cause they are random so you still won't get any control of what you got, maybe they could add a gamemode where you can select a specific assist trophy from m the assist trophy roster to assist you. (A little like how assist worked on the original marvel vs Capcom)

Do you could fill a gauge and when is full, instead of throwing a final smash, you can summon your selected assist trophy to do some damage and having control over f whatbyoubdo, would help you coordinate your joint attacks better. They could of keep expanding the assist trophy roster with characters with little chance of becoming player characters, like having fourth generation Pokemon trainer to summon 3 pokeballs for you, or having protoman help you shooting things, or tharja flinging some spells, imo would be the best way to implement semi playable characters
That's a cool idea. I'd love if they allowed an 'item select screen' style mode where you could turn on or off certain Pokémon or Assists. I remember playing that one event in Melee where the Pokéballs were only Electrode, and some people like or hate certain assists, so it may make it more fun to switch them up once in a while.

Also if you want to train with one specifically, i.e "how can I DI out of this attack?" or "what is my window for picking up and throwing Electrode?"

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Rework Link to represent BotW, Rework Ganondorf, Add Twili Midna, Add Elma and Rex/Pyra, and then Add an Ice Climbers-esque thing for Alm/Celica, and you pretty much have my dream roster right there. Chances for all of those making it in aren't high, though.

Transforming characters should be kept separate.

I'd like to see some form of Adventure mode, but something less longform than subspace. Maybe a 5-10 subspace-esque levels themed around different games.

A True All Star mode that comes after All Star on Hard or harder difficulties if you beat it with one life. You fight Giga Bowser, full aura Lucario, etc..

Alpha stages.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
10!
More characters (duhhhh)
lets start with the obvious, more character, nothing ore to say here franklly.
Imo the more solid nintendo picks would be ice climbers and inklings, old and new. niche and mainstream, appeals both hardcore smash fans(Iceclimbers) and newcomers (Inklings), and both can potential offer stuff no other characters can.
as for third parties, i would go with shovel knight and bomberman. both of them seem to be doing fine in the switch, at this point shovel knight have started feeling like the indie posterboy and bomberman is a timeless classic.
as for personal dreampicks, i would go with Ridley and simon belmont. very unlikely, but thats is why they are dreams. duh.
to think that i posted this more than a year ago...
If that stupid rumour is true im gonna flip harder than "Yoshi's Flipping Island"

Top Bottom